PDA

View Full Version : Second Day Sheds

HairPlease
November 4th, 2015, 11:22 AM
The day after wash day, I get a pretty big shed. If I make a "ponytail" with my hand and VERY GENTLY pull a little, a two-pencil-width chunk or more comes out. I can do that two to three times, then it stops shedding. I noticed it years ago when finger combing, the area around me would just be covered in my fur. This happens on the second day and only gets worse on the next day hence I wash every day now to every other day.
I do not brush or comb, only use the fingers, and I shampoo my scalp fairly thoroughly, lately with sulfate free shampoo. As suggested on here in another thread of mine, I do not put conditioner on my scalp. Or oils for that matter.
Is this ok? I feel like hairs that already "shed" are stuck in my scalp by the greasy gooey white gum-sebum-stuff and when finger combing they all come loose at once or something. This common?
I don't shed a single hair on wash day most of the time, and not a whole lot comes out in the shower.

meteor
November 4th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Not sure... some people naturally do best with daily washing though... :hmm:
It's possible that your scalp now produces more sebum or maybe the skin shedding cycle was disturbed, causing a build-up problem... I really don't know.
Honestly, I'd ask your doctor to look at your scalp during your next visit... :flower: Maybe there is some scalp issue, like SD? Especially, if you notice symptoms like the scalp getting flaky, itchy, uncomfortable, red, inflamed... (SD can cause excessive shedding if left untreated.)

In the meantime, I'd also experiment with a stronger, more cleansing shampoo, maybe something with anti-fungals and targeting oily scalps or dandruff-prone scalps? You mention that you've been using sulfate-free shampoos lately, and I wonder if maybe the ones you've been using could a bit too gentle and not effective enough at thorough cleansing in this case? :hmm:

If you still need to wash your scalp very frequently, but want to protect your hair, you could also do scalp-only washes (keeping length bunned/braided and protected under a plastic wrap).

lapushka
November 4th, 2015, 12:11 PM
You can lose up to a 100 hairs a day. I think it's pretty normal, esp. because you don't lose much during a wash. It may come out a little later.

meteor
November 4th, 2015, 12:32 PM
You can lose up to a 100 hairs a day. I think it's pretty normal, esp. because you don't lose much during a wash. It may come out a little later.

Very true! :agree:
And some people normally shed more than others.

The day after wash day, I get a pretty big shed. If I make a "ponytail" with my hand and VERY GENTLY pull a little, a two-pencil-width chunk or more comes out. I can do that two to three times, then it stops shedding.

To get some sense of how significant your shedding is, how about counting up the number of hairs in that 2-pencil-width+ chunk of hair? Honestly, it sounds like it could be a relatively high number :hmm:, but it probably depends on the thickness of individual strands, as well.
But if the number is significant, at least you can mention this to your doctor and it will help getting more attention to this concern: running blood tests, referring to a dermatologist, etc...

Best of luck to you, HairPlease! :blossom:

HairPlease
November 4th, 2015, 03:12 PM
Thank you for the replies. I do have a LOT of the white pasty stuff. You know those delicious sugar cookies they sell in those rolls that are ready-to-bake? That dough consistency, that's what my scalp stuff is like. Thick, and doughy. I'm experimenting with monistat, Meteor, you mentioned anti-fungal shampoos. Do you think monistat will do the same thing since it's an anti-fungal? I don't get any discomfort, flaking, red, painful stuff, just this really bad goop that shows up on day 2 and gets ridiculous on day 3 (I have forbade myself to go to day 3!). I'll look up SD some more though anyways as it's definitely a possibility.

It does calm my nerves to hear that the average is 100 strands per day. I counted about 18-20 per strand, my hair is pretty thick (not coarse, just, chubby?), so that's 40 that I lose in those little "pulls". I probably do get around 100 in a day. Thanks for the numbers, I love numbers, they cheer me up (most of the time :p).

meteor
November 4th, 2015, 03:32 PM
^ Oh, only 18-20 strands per chunk is not too bad at all! :) Phew, that's a relief! :D

Yes, I think it's possible that Monistat worked for so many people specifically because of the anti-fungal action of its active ingredient - miconazole nitrate.
I think some people who see improved scalp condition (cleaner skin, less itching, flakiness or gunk), faster hair growth, less shedding... might have had a low-level fungal overgrowth that Monistat helped control or fix... I haven't seen any studies on this though.

I think I'd consider getting something with ketoconazole in the shampoo rotation and see if it improves the scalp's condition and shedding situation (like Nizoral or Regenepure Dr) or explore other products for dandruff (some active ingredients that can help are selenium sulfide, zinc pyrithione, salicylic acid, etc):
Medicated Shampoos, Conditioners, Co-washes and Treatments For Itchy Scalp, Dry Scalp, Seborrheic Dermatitis (List) - http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2015/03/medicated-shampoos-and-conditioners-for.html

And if things don't improve to your healthy normal shedding soon, I'd definitely see a doctor. :flower:

Best of luck, HairPlease! :cheer:

HairPlease
November 4th, 2015, 03:39 PM
I will definitely get a ketoconazole shampoo as a first step.
Thanks so much for the helpul information, Meteor. :)

meteor
November 4th, 2015, 03:47 PM
^ No problem! :D Any time, HairPlease! :flower:

(I should add that anti-dandruff shampoos tend to be pretty drying, but hopefully it's going to be just a very temporary measure, only for a flare-up. In the long run, just an effective cleansing shampoo should be enough. :) )

yahirwaO.o
November 4th, 2015, 06:06 PM
Oh yes, the very same thing used to happen to me alot in the past. Wash day was ok, but they day after holy cow. I realized my shampoo was just way too strong so diluting really help me around here. My shed now is way less and on the lower side of 50 no matter the day.

Still not sure if this would help you. I have a very greasy scalp that tends to have white flakes and sebum bulbs, ACV rinses and washing every other day with diluted shampoo made a real difference. Every now and then I would use straight shampoo to get the greasiness but the constant gentle washing does the job perfect!

lapushka
November 5th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Do use the shampoo as prescribed. Read the leaflet if there is one. You normally (experience only with Nizoral) rub it in wet hair, suds it up a liiitle, leave it on for 5 min., suds it up some more (wash), rinse and tadaa.