PDA

View Full Version : FTL by Christmas 2016!

lapushka
November 2nd, 2015, 02:56 PM
Who's in?

I am getting it cut back to classic at the end of this year (homecut, compact (layering) cut), then rejoining the no-trimming challenge, for 2016. I want to see if I can make it to FingerTip Length by the end of the year. I'm not sure if I might make it, though, because if all that length isn't comfy, I might have it cut back and maintain.

But... I'm wanting & willing to at least try. So who's with me?

cathair
November 2nd, 2015, 07:25 PM
It's not for me this time :( I need to maintain. I think my arms might be quite long too. I think FTL is past mid thigh on me, so I don't think I could do it in a year.

I will be cheering you on though! :cheer: I hope you make your 2016 goal :)

JadedByEntropy
November 2nd, 2015, 08:09 PM
I'm too tall for that, and i still haven't made classic official. :/ Have fun in gorgeous storybook lengths!

Dessi
November 2nd, 2015, 10:48 PM
I think I'm going to join too! Still haven't reached Classic but.. it doesn't hurt to try right? :D

lapushka
November 3rd, 2015, 04:13 AM
Thanks you guys for the moral support! Means a lot.

And yes, Dessi, can't hurt to try!!! I'm only winging it myself. :lol:

meteor
November 9th, 2015, 09:45 AM
Oh I'm definitely in! :hifive:

So happy to join you, guys! :D

I do have long arms and fingers and I haven't trimmed in ages, so finger-tip might not happen so soon, but who knows?

By the way, this is an excellent idea for a thread, lapushka! :thumbsup: I'll need lots of help figuring out how to handle ends best when the hands are having trouble reaching them.

Happy growing everyone! :cheer:

lapushka
November 9th, 2015, 09:48 AM
Yes, I know about the length issue, meteor. :) I'm an inch or so (a little more but who's counting ;)) past classic right now and it's getting more difficult to reach esp. washing upside down.

meteor
November 9th, 2015, 12:15 PM
^ Oh yes, I think it's a tricky moment: the end of the "free-flowing" hair handling, so to speak... Any length before could be done without holding up the length, like in a ponytail, but every length after will require that... I wonder if it could be a contributing factor for tangles? :hmm:

Washing upside down makes it even harder to reach the ends :agree:, but then, washing standing upright is really heavy for scalp and neck... However, I'm afraid to try mermaid rinses... something about that technique feels like it should cause massive tangles at this length, due to lack of stream forcing all hairs to sort of line up in the same direction of the flow.

Anyway, I'm definitely enjoying every moment of the journey to new lengths! :cheer: The challenges make it even more fun! ;)

CaranDulin
November 16th, 2015, 10:40 AM
Definitely count me in! I'd love to make it there before next year's up! Right now, my hair is actually just baaarely at FTL when it's soaking wet and brushed out in the shower. My wurls eat up lots of length though, so when it's dried, my hair is just a couple of inches below classic. Grr!

Here's to hoping we'll all solidly be there at the end of next year! c:

I need to take a good length pic, too.

lapushka
November 16th, 2015, 11:06 AM
After doing my LWB today, I realized it's getting harder and harder to do. The hair is really thick (esp. freshly washed) and doesn't condense that well when freshly washed, so it was a challenge. Managed it, but I am needing to look towards different buns, I think. I might try a cinnabun next. Anyone any other ideas for thick, dense (but F) hair that needs a good go-to bun?

CaranDulin
November 17th, 2015, 09:55 AM
I'd try a Celtic knot bun. It's been my go-to for quite a while! Cinnabun is always a good go-to, though.

VJG
November 17th, 2015, 10:00 AM
Yep, I am in. Maybe the goal will help keep me from cutting back to hip which has been the recent impulse.

meteor
November 17th, 2015, 12:07 PM
^Welcome aboard, CaranDulin and VJG! :cheer:

Definitely count me in! I'd love to make it there before next year's up! Right now, my hair is actually just baaarely at FTL when it's soaking wet and brushed out in the shower. My wurls eat up lots of length though, so when it's dried, my hair is just a couple of inches below classic. Grr!

Here's to hoping we'll all solidly be there at the end of next year! c:

I need to take a good length pic, too.

Welcome aboard! :cheer:
I find shrinkage at these lengths pretty significant...
My hair is past FTL when soaking wet in the shower, but about 4-5 inches shorter when dry... I know shrinkage happens to curly/wavy hair, but is this amount of shrinkage normal for hair that is pretty straight-ish or does my hair stretch way too much?
(Maybe shrinkage is more visible, just because the same percentage of different lengths would be different: say, 10% shrinkage of 50'' looks like 5'', while 10% of just 10'' length is only 1'' hidden due to shrinkage... :hmm: But I don't know if simple % rules can be applied here, since the "stretch" doesn't happen at the same % at the roots as at the ends, I would imagine...)

After doing my LWB today, I realized it's getting harder and harder to do. The hair is really thick (esp. freshly washed) and doesn't condense that well when freshly washed, so it was a challenge. Managed it, but I am needing to look towards different buns, I think. I might try a cinnabun next. Anyone any other ideas for thick, dense (but F) hair that needs a good go-to bun?

Yes, I have problems with my braided LWBs now: they bunch up in one area and hurt. So I do braided L-Infinity bun (because it gives 2 loops, more spread out): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fzn4gNWIVQ and braided Spidermom's (double loop) bun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCvC_MU0To8

I have problems with cinnabuns though - they just don't hold. :(

Also, this pencil bun (a variation of a Nautilus, I believe) can be sometimes doable for me on braided hair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34
Maybe some variation of a Nautilus might work for you, Lapushka?
Here is a great variation on that bun presented by DreamSheep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b6WVvzfV9U

rhosyn_du
November 17th, 2015, 04:31 PM
I'm very far from FTL this time around, but I wanted to stop by and wish you all luck in reaching your goal by next Christmas. You have inspired me to consider growing all the way to FTL again (although with layers this time, if I do)!

I have very slippery hair, and my go-to buns between classic and FTL were the locked bee-butt (basically a gibraltar, but start with a bee-butt bun instead of a cinnabun) and braided nautalis.

Night_Kitten
November 18th, 2015, 04:07 AM
Just saw this thread, talk about late reaction, LOL :)

I'm in, even though I'm not sure I can make it, trying can't hurt :)

Iv'e noticed my LBW "acts up" around Classic, and is working fine when my hair is shorter or longer - it was like that last time (most problems started a couple of inches before classic and just disappeared once I got half-way to FTL) and I'm noticing the same issues this time also (now at classic)...
Seems each bun has lengths where it holds nicely and lengths where the bun just doesn't work as well, for whatever reason...

lapushka
November 18th, 2015, 06:09 AM
I'd try a Celtic knot bun. It's been my go-to for quite a while! Cinnabun is always a good go-to, though.

Ooh thanks, looking that one up!

Yep, I am in. Maybe the goal will help keep me from cutting back to hip which has been the recent impulse.

Welcome! :)

Yes, I have problems with my braided LWBs now: they bunch up in one area and hurt. So I do braided L-Infinity bun (because it gives 2 loops, more spread out): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fzn4gNWIVQ and braided Spidermom's (double loop) bun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCvC_MU0To8

I have problems with cinnabuns though - they just don't hold. :(

Also, this pencil bun (a variation of a Nautilus, I believe) can be sometimes doable for me on braided hair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34
Maybe some variation of a Nautilus might work for you, Lapushka?
Here is a great variation on that bun presented by DreamSheep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b6WVvzfV9U

Yes yes yes, a nautilus! Why didn't I think of that? That's the *one* bun I could never do!

I'm very far from FTL this time around, but I wanted to stop by and wish you all luck in reaching your goal by next Christmas. You have inspired me to consider growing all the way to FTL again (although with layers this time, if I do)!

I have very slippery hair, and my go-to buns between classic and FTL were the locked bee-butt (basically a gibraltar, but start with a bee-butt bun instead of a cinnabun) and braided nautalis.

Yep, another vote for the Nautilus! :D

Just saw this thread, talk about late reaction, LOL :)

I'm in, even though I'm not sure I can make it, trying can't hurt :)

Iv'e noticed my LBW "acts up" around Classic, and is working fine when my hair is shorter or longer - it was like that last time (most problems started a couple of inches before classic and just disappeared once I got half-way to FTL) and I'm noticing the same issues this time also (now at classic)...
Seems each bun has lengths where it holds nicely and lengths where the bun just doesn't work as well, for whatever reason...

Yes, join us!

Now that it is a little further from wash day, I feel my hair compacts. I might need a different bun just for day 1 hair. Trying the cinnabun & the Nautilus, and if those don't work out, I'll broaden my horizons. Thank you *so* much for everyone's suggestions! Thank you. :D

vpatt
November 18th, 2015, 07:21 AM
Good luck to you all.....sounds like fun. Maybe in a few more years I can try this, lol.

CaranDulin
November 18th, 2015, 11:24 PM
^Welcome aboard, CaranDulin and VJG! :cheer:

Welcome aboard! :cheer:
I find shrinkage at these lengths pretty significant...
My hair is past FTL when soaking wet in the shower, but about 4-5 inches shorter when dry... I know shrinkage happens to curly/wavy hair, but is this amount of shrinkage normal for hair that is pretty straight-ish or does my hair stretch way too much?
(Maybe shrinkage is more visible, just because the same percentage of different lengths would be different: say, 10% shrinkage of 50'' looks like 5'', while 10% of just 10'' length is only 1'' hidden due to shrinkage... :hmm: But I don't know if simple % rules can be applied here, since the "stretch" doesn't happen at the same % at the roots as at the ends, I would imagine...)

Thanks for the welcome, meteor! I'm wondering why that would be... straight hair doesn't seem like it would have much shrinkage, but then again, I don't know much about it. Does anyone else here have experience with this? :confused:

Ooh thanks, looking that one up!

You're welcome! I really like how the Celtic knot looks. c:

CaranDulin
November 18th, 2015, 11:24 PM
Good luck to you all.....sounds like fun. Maybe in a few more years I can try this, lol.

Thank you! We look forward to you joining in! :o

Beborani
November 19th, 2015, 08:44 AM
My hands are tiny but I still have 4-5 inches to go to reach this milestone--not happening as I plan to cut my ends more over the next few months but nice goal to aspire to--perhaps that is when I will look classic.

lapis_lazuli
December 19th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Ooh me! I'm in! :D I'm at classic now which is just past my wrist. I think I can make it, it would be a dream come true! :pray: Good luck to everyone! I'll be checking in here often :)

erizabesu
December 20th, 2015, 07:04 PM
I would like to join. I'm just about at classic now, and fingertip length is right about six inches away. I should be able to get there by next Christmas.

meteor
December 20th, 2015, 09:26 PM
Yay! :joy: It's so great to come back to this thread and see so many LHC-ers joining! :happydance: Welcome to all the new members who have joined in recently: lapis_lazuli, erizabesu, Night_Kitten, Beborani! :cheer:

This looks like it will be such a great and fun ride! :D
Thanks so much, lapushka, for starting this thread! :D

lapushka
December 21st, 2015, 05:41 AM
You're welcome, meteor, and all you guys! :)

I am so happy that I'm not alone in this challenge!

Swan Maiden
December 21st, 2015, 09:32 AM
I've been meaning to see how far FTL is on me from my current length. Next time I wash, I will check. I will be maintaining, but not hard core so we will see.

omega
December 26th, 2015, 07:16 PM
Joining in on the fun! Thanks for creating the thread lapushka!

lapushka
December 27th, 2015, 01:07 PM
You're welcome, omega!

Katschakai
January 2nd, 2016, 09:16 AM
Yeah, sure I'm in :D My arms (and me) are pretty short so I migth manage this one! I was hitting classic at christmas, did a trim to get rid of some of the taper. I'd say I'm aaaaaalmost classic now, but not quiet. But I think I'll get FTL by next christmas.

Katrina
January 2nd, 2016, 12:58 PM
Count me in :) I just reached classic.

lapushka
January 2nd, 2016, 01:08 PM
Welcome, you guys! :D

Phanaferous
January 2nd, 2016, 03:07 PM
Alright, I'm sneaking in here as a long shot. Right at about tailbone now, maybe a little past. I have a long torso, though, so my fingertips aren't that much past Classic for me. (I am past wrist already at my current length). I'm guessing FTL would be 6.5 inches of growth, so maybe I can do it!

lapushka
January 2nd, 2016, 03:18 PM
Alright, I'm sneaking in here as a long shot. Right at about tailbone now, maybe a little past. I have a long torso, though, so my fingertips aren't that much past Classic for me. (I am past wrist already at my current length). I'm guessing FTL would be 6.5 inches of growth, so maybe I can do it!

It can't hurt to try. :)

butterfly_dream
January 3rd, 2016, 02:55 PM
I'm definitely in! I have 4 inches to go and a couple of inches to cut off (old bleach damage). Can't hurt to try! ;)

lapis_lazuli
January 3rd, 2016, 04:58 PM
Finally got my hands on a measuring tape! I'm a little unsure of where FTL is on me but I measured my hair from the front and back and the distance is about 6-7 inches. I think I can make it by Christmas :) ... maybe...
I'm going to limit myself to measuring every few months and try not to obsess over it. As of today I measure in at 42.5 inches so I assume FTL is ~49. I hope extra protein in my diet will speed up my growth (I usually get <0.5/month) so I can make it! 8)

VJG
January 11th, 2016, 05:55 PM
I have decided to cut back to hip length and maintain. Enjoy the challenge!

lapis_lazuli
January 11th, 2016, 06:22 PM
I have decided to cut back to hip length and maintain. Enjoy the challenge!

Sorry to see you go, VJG. I'm glad you found what will make you happy :) Enjoy your journey, as well! :flower:

lapushka
January 12th, 2016, 09:50 AM
Sorry to see you go, VJG. I'm glad you found what will make you happy :) Enjoy your journey, as well! :flower:

Most definitely! :agree:

VJG
January 12th, 2016, 11:15 AM

Most definitely! :agree:

Thank you both! Have a great 2016.

lapushka
January 12th, 2016, 03:18 PM
Thank you both! Have a great 2016.

Thank you, you too! :D

lapushka
February 19th, 2016, 04:28 AM
On Wednesday, I trimmed back to classic length. I should have said this earlier. I have decided to maintain classic length indefinitely, rather than grow on. It is just easier for me, classic. I admire greater lengths, but have to accept, it's just not for me.

To those who are still in this challenge, the BEST of luck to you, and I hope you make it by Christmas! :)

Dessi
February 19th, 2016, 10:03 PM
On Wednesday, I trimmed back to classic length. I should have said this earlier. I have decided to maintain classic length indefinitely, rather than grow on. It is just easier for me, classic. I admire greater lengths, but have to accept, it's just not for me.

To those who are still in this challenge, the BEST of luck to you, and I hope you make it by Christmas! :)

There's still some probability that you may change you mind and grow past Classic again someday, right?
But I'm glad that you're happy with your hair now! :flower:

lapis_lazuli
February 19th, 2016, 10:06 PM

I'm glad you've found what works for you, lapushka! Thanks for the good wishes, and the best to you as well! :flowers:

lapushka
February 20th, 2016, 04:43 AM
There's still some probability that you may change you mind and grow past Classic again someday, right?
But I'm glad that you're happy with your hair now! :flower:

There might be; who knows. I am not going to trim monthly, so every 2/3 months, I'll have a chunk cut off, so it's going to be that vicious cycle of feeling great then after a few months again that feeling of wanting-to-chop-it-all-off. But at least, I know the feeling *well* enough again to know it for what it is. Who knows there might come a time where I'm suddenly used to the length, wanting to grow on... though I doubt it. But, you never know! :D

lapushka
February 20th, 2016, 04:43 AM
I'm glad you've found what works for you, lapushka! Thanks for the good wishes, and the best to you as well! :flowers:

Thank you so much! :)

rowie
February 20th, 2016, 08:29 PM
There might be; who knows. I am not going to trim monthly, so every 2/3 months, I'll have a chunk cut off, so it's going to be that vicious cycle of feeling great then after a few months again that feeling of wanting-to-chop-it-all-off. But at least, I know the feeling *well* enough again to know it for what it is. Who knows there might come a time where I'm suddenly used to the length, wanting to grow on... though I doubt it. But, you never know! :D

Well done! Cheers. At this point, I always wear my hair up during the day, and at night I wear my silk scarf wrap, so in a way I don't pay attention to my hair any longer and live off benign neglect. In a way it feels good to feel liberated from hair goals. I've met my goal so any other milestone would just be extra icing like on a cake. I think I'm also happy at my goal length of classic as well, but lately I'm not thinking about other hair lengths for now and just enjoy experimenting with updos and just letting it continue to grow. I try to forget my length everytime I finish my updo every morning so that I can continue with benign neglect.

butterfly_dream
February 21st, 2016, 11:47 AM
I'm pleased you've found a length you're happy with, Lapushka, but I hope you'll check in here from time to time. ;)

lapushka
February 21st, 2016, 11:52 AM
Well done! Cheers. At this point, I always wear my hair up during the day, and at night I wear my silk scarf wrap, so in a way I don't pay attention to my hair any longer and live off benign neglect. In a way it feels good to feel liberated from hair goals. I've met my goal so any other milestone would just be extra icing like on a cake. I think I'm also happy at my goal length of classic as well, but lately I'm not thinking about other hair lengths for now and just enjoy experimenting with updos and just letting it continue to grow. I try to forget my length everytime I finish my updo every morning so that I can continue with benign neglect.

Thanks! :D That's a good way of "dealing" with your hair, rowie!

I'm pleased you've found a length you're happy with, Lapushka, but I hope you'll check in here from time to time. ;)

I'll pop in from time to time. Of course! :D

My hair washing routine went swimmingly today, now that I'm back at classic. Yeah, it just seems I made the right decision! :D

meteor
February 21st, 2016, 12:12 PM
Glad you've found the length you are happiest with, lapushka! :blossom: That's an awesome feeling, certainly more comforting than what's called LHC-itis around here (hair dysmorphia, always needing more length) - I think I have a bit of that ;)

That's my situation right now, as well. :agree: Benign neglect is almost necessary at these lengths, I find. I don't know how tired I would be of my hair, if I were dyeing/hennaing it or heat-styling it or wearing it down - I'd probably just chop it all off if I had to deal with this length beyond the very basic washing/conditioning/oiling/detangling/bunning.
My routine is ridiculously minimalist at this point.

On the length front, I'm surprised at how much shrinkage I get. My hair is way beyond finger-tip when it's wet but it's only around wrist-length or so when it's dry. I think I have about 5-6'' of shrinkage. Does anybody else notice something like this?
Maybe I've had shrinkage before and just didn't notice it, since only before & past hand length create such dramatic differences in handling, reaching ends? :hmm:

lapushka
February 21st, 2016, 12:37 PM
Glad you've found the length you are happiest with, lapushka! :blossom: That's an awesome feeling, certainly more comforting than what's called LHC-itis around here (hair dysmorphia, always needing more length) - I think I have a bit of that ;)

Hahaha, that's not a bad thing, though. ;)
Thank you! :)

On the length front, I'm surprised at how much shrinkage I get. My hair is way beyond finger-tip when it's wet but it's only around wrist-length or so when it's dry. I think I have about 5-6'' of shrinkage. Does anybody else notice something like this?
Maybe I've had shrinkage before and just didn't notice it, since only before & past hand length create such dramatic differences in handling, reaching ends? :hmm:

You're beyond FTL already? Woohoo! :cheer:

meteor
February 21st, 2016, 12:52 PM
Hahaha, that's not a bad thing, though. ;)
Thank you! :)

You're beyond FTL already? Woohoo! :cheer:

Yes, but only when it's soaking wet. :)
I just never noticed my shrinkage before. Now that my hair looks pretty straight, it seems strange to have so much wet-to-dry shrinkage. Maybe it's the accumulated wear & tear? (Damaged hair absorbs more water - up to 45% of its weight vs. 30% if the hair is undamaged (http://www.hair-science.com/_int/_en/topic/topic_sousrub.aspx?tc=root-hair-science%5Eso-sturdy-so-fragile%5Eproperties-of-hair&cur=properties-of-hair)) :hmm:

lapushka
February 21st, 2016, 01:18 PM
Yes, but only when it's soaking wet. :)
I just never noticed my shrinkage before. Now that my hair looks pretty straight, it seems strange to have so much wet-to-dry shrinkage. Maybe it's the accumulated wear & tear? (Damaged hair absorbs more water - up to 45% of its weight vs. 30% if the hair is undamaged (http://www.hair-science.com/_int/_en/topic/topic_sousrub.aspx?tc=root-hair-science%5Eso-sturdy-so-fragile%5Eproperties-of-hair&cur=properties-of-hair)) :hmm:

I doubt that you're supposed to look at it soaking wet. I think when they talk of comparing wet to dry, it's wrung-out or towel-dry vs. dry rather than soaking wet, because soaking - it stretches.

meteor
February 22nd, 2016, 08:49 AM
^ My worry was what if my hair stretches *too* much for healthy hair, lapushka. :) And it looks like it was false alarm, sorry, guys :flower: : I finally had a good look at my hair from the back with my hands stretched out and it turns out it's already a bit past my thumb when dry, so stretching when wet wasn't too bad, after all. Phew, that's a relief.
("You know you are a long hair when..." you need longer mirrors to actually see your own hair in full. :lol: )

lapushka
February 22nd, 2016, 02:29 PM
^ My worry was what if my hair stretches *too* much for healthy hair, lapushka. :)

Oooh now I get it. Oh gosh darn I can be a dumb-dumb sometimes. :rolleyes: :lol:

meteor
February 22nd, 2016, 02:44 PM
^ Oh no, lapushka, no worries at all. :blossom: And you are always sharp and always on the ball! ;)
If anything, I should have simply measured length :doh:, but I kind of stopped checking ever since hitting classic, because I don't get the same measurements on different days due to shrinkage, so I'm getting this "surprise" effect now. I envy folks who get precise measurements of their growth rate every month or every few weeks - my wave pattern misbehaves too much for that to work! :lol:

lapis_lazuli
February 22nd, 2016, 02:47 PM
meteor, I bet you'll reach FTL when dry far before Christmas :D Congrats! :cheer:

meteor
February 22nd, 2016, 03:24 PM
^ If I'm lucky! :D That would be great! Thank you so very much, lapis_lazuli! :heartbeat I really hope you'll get there very soon, too!! :cheer:
I have to admit though, I feel like this CL+ range is pretty hard to handle (maybe because I have no experience with extreme lengths). For example, I am no longer experimenting with new braids or complex sectioned hairstyles, because sectioning is becoming increasingly difficult and time-consuming. I don't want to be in a rut, but it's hard to avoid it due to limited styling options. :oops:
Have any of you guys been experimenting with new hairstyles lately? :) If so, which ones did you like the most or maybe not so much? :blossom:

lapushka
February 22nd, 2016, 03:27 PM
^ Oh no, lapushka, no worries at all. :blossom: And you are always sharp and always on the ball! ;)
If anything, I should have simply measured length :doh:, but I kind of stopped checking ever since hitting classic, because I don't get the same measurements on different days due to shrinkage, so I'm getting this "surprise" effect now. I envy folks who get precise measurements of their growth rate every month or every few weeks - my wave pattern misbehaves too much for that to work! :lol:

Maybe you're more wavy than you think, meteor! Could be!!! No? :)

My waves don't "hang" the same week after week either. Sometimes I get more shrinkage than other weeks. Kinda depends on how much of each product I stuck in there and all. :lol:

meteor
February 22nd, 2016, 03:35 PM
^ Certainly could be, lapushka! :agree: When my hair was very short (shorter than shoulder), it was actually curly, when it's longer, it's wavy, and now it looks practically straight. :confused: And I know what you mean about hair products - they can certainly change how the wave pattern shows, especially leave-ins and certainly any products that can add hold. :agree:

lapis_lazuli
February 22nd, 2016, 04:09 PM
^ If I'm lucky! :D That would be great! Thank you so very much, lapis_lazuli! :heartbeat I really hope you'll get there very soon, too!! :cheer:
I have to admit though, I feel like this CL+ range is pretty hard to handle (maybe because I have no experience with extreme lengths). For example, I am no longer experimenting with new braids or complex sectioned hairstyles, because sectioning is becoming increasingly difficult and time-consuming. I don't want to be in a rut, but it's hard to avoid it due to limited styling options. :oops:
Have any of you guys been experimenting with new hairstyles lately? :) If so, which ones did you like the most or maybe not so much? :blossom:

Thank you! I feel the same way about styling - I do the standard LWB every day and even that is becoming more difficult as it gets longer. I finger comb for what seems like hours and then I run a brush through it before even beginning to wrap the hair. It's becoming an onerous task :lol: I don't dare try fiddling with other styles when I can barely make this one work!

(I also have no experience with extreme lengths, which is probably evident :o)

meteor
February 22nd, 2016, 06:33 PM
Thank you! I feel the same way about styling - I do the standard LWB every day and even that is becoming more difficult as it gets longer. I finger comb for what seems like hours and then I run a brush through it before even beginning to wrap the hair. It's becoming an onerous task :lol:

Oh yes, I finger-comb or wide-tooth-comb for what seems like hours, too! :agree: I'm glad I'm not the only one. (And I'm obviously on eternal search for the holy grail detangler to magically solve all problems, but I don't know if it exists...)

I love the LWB, too (it's such an amazing, hair-friendly bun that works very reliably :cloud9:), but it's getting a bit more difficult now , so I also do the L-Infinity Bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fzn4gNWIVQ) and Spidermom's (Double-Loop) Bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCvC_MU0To8). I've also just tried this Modified Pha Bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGfOU1OPR1I) (by ThrowNormanAway) and it seems to work well, as well. (I always start all my buns from a braid though, otherwise, I just can't hold and manage the hair around the fingers properly...)

I notice I gravitate towards such double-looped structures these days, because they feel lighter as they distribute the weight around quite a bit...

It's kind of ironic that just as the hair seems to be long enough to try many, many new updo styles, hair is becoming increasingly uncooperative, so the bun arsenal can still remain pretty limited. :wail:

lapis_lazuli
February 22nd, 2016, 08:35 PM
Oh, thank you for those links! Will definitely try some of those out :D

It's kind of ironic that just as the hair seems to be long enough to try many, many new updo styles, hair is becoming increasingly uncooperative, so the bun arsenal can still remain pretty limited. :wail:

So true... it is worth it for me though just to have super long hair ;)

Dessi
December 18th, 2016, 10:18 PM
Ladies, how is it going? Christmas is coming and I thought I'd check out the thread. :flower:

Aunty Miki
December 20th, 2016, 04:18 PM
How's it going? FTL is my ultimate goal, but I'm at waist right now.

Aunty Miki
December 20th, 2016, 11:06 PM
I am shooting for FTL Christmas of 2018...or 19...maybe 20? I really need to measure it and calculate my goal year, lol!

lapushka
December 21st, 2016, 09:38 AM
Nope, I maintained classic for over a year, then cut back to hip, for a change. I am no-trimming 2017 next year! I think my ideal length is between TBL and classic, and I will probably yo-yo between that and classic.

Beborani
December 24th, 2016, 10:56 AM
My hands are tiny but I still have 4-5 inches to go to reach this milestone--not happening as I plan to cut my ends more over the next few months but nice goal to aspire to--perhaps that is when I will look classic.

It looks like I am fingertip length for forefinger when wet now so about quarter or so inch more for full FT. I can no longer measure dry stretched so dripping wet it is which maybe giving slightly longer length estimation. Looks like Lapushka has quit this goal! I don't know where to go from here that can be measured (in a year).

Phanaferous
December 24th, 2016, 06:00 PM
I made it to about FTL this fall. Haven't taken a length shot in quite awhile, but it's past FTL when wet for sure. Have to get the camera out.

Dessi
December 25th, 2016, 12:57 AM
I think I reached FTL when wet at 44.5". Now hoping for Mid-thigh length at about 46". :D
Red line is Classic length, in the first photo my hair is still damp.
https://s30.postimg.org/qiuokeu0x/image.png

Sarahlabyrinth
December 25th, 2016, 02:15 AM
I'm just past FTL now :)

lapushka
December 25th, 2016, 05:45 AM
Congrats to you guys (still no regrets on cutting back here, though ;)). :cheer:

nmgdolly
December 25th, 2016, 06:36 AM
So beautiful!
I still have a long ways to go. But, thankfully, since applying various advices found on here over the last 6 months, my hair is finally feeling healthy, so now I am hoping for some noticable growth for 2017. :)

butterfly_dream
December 25th, 2016, 02:23 PM
I am maintaining at FTL since July.:o

Sarahlabyrinth
December 25th, 2016, 02:37 PM
Congrats to you guys (still no regrets on cutting back here, though ;)). :cheer:

Thanks, lapushka! :) It's good that you have found the length which suits you, hair-wise. It helps so much with enjoying it.

lapushka
December 26th, 2016, 03:11 PM
Thanks, lapushka! :) It's good that you have found the length which suits you, hair-wise. It helps so much with enjoying it.

It definitely does! My ideal length is between TBL & classic, though, so next year, I'm going to be growing towards that goal.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 26th, 2016, 03:12 PM
It definitely does! My ideal length is between TBL & classic, though, so next year, I'm going to be growing towards that goal.

That sounds great :)