PDA

View Full Version : Stylist recommended haircut....would love some advice!

Belle Paix
November 2nd, 2015, 11:45 AM
So I haven't cut my hair for over a year now, and it's finally long enough to do some cutsie styles with. This weekend, dear BF and I had a Garth Brooks concert (Woot!). I went to my used-to-be-usual stylist for an updo...because I didn't want to look like a hobo :-). While she was using a curling iron on my hair (something I NEVER do on my own, but allowed because this was a special occasion), she commented that I REALLY needed a cut. She gave the usual "Your hair will be healthier, grow faster, etc" reasons.
I've SWORN not to cut until I reach my goal (FTL), but I do want my hair to be healthy (obviously). I virtually never use heat, I use salve's to help condition my hair, and I wear it up 99% of the time. Once it gets long enough, I plan on S&Ding, but right now it's still too short to comfortably do so.
Suggestions? Would you cut, or wait and just protect as best you could?

Sarahlabyrinth
November 2nd, 2015, 11:48 AM
I certainly wouldn't be in any hurry to cut, unless YOU feel your hair is in bad condition. It sounds like you have been happy with it so far. Your stylist may just be wanting to make more money off you.

Maybe you could post a photo so we could see your hair?

Belle Paix
November 2nd, 2015, 12:05 PM
I certainly wouldn't be in any hurry to cut, unless YOU feel your hair is in bad condition. It sounds like you have been happy with it so far. Your stylist may just be wanting to make more money off you.

Maybe you could post a photo so we could see your hair?

Thank you, this is what I was thinking. I just didn't want to risk more damage! A pic is a great idea, unfortunately, I'm at work, & it's not easy to take one here :-(.

browneyedsusan
November 2nd, 2015, 12:33 PM
I'd leave it alone, unless it's breaking off faster than it's growing. Step away from the scissors. I had a few splits at APL, but couldn't S&D until it was longer. It'll probably be just fine. :)

Belle Paix
November 2nd, 2015, 12:37 PM
I'd leave it alone, unless it's breaking off faster than it's growing. Step away from the scissors. I had a few splits at APL, but couldn't S&D until it was longer. It'll probably be just fine. :)

Thank you!! Love your updated Oct. pic by the way :)

restless
November 2nd, 2015, 12:39 PM
Do you like it and think it looks good the way it is now? Then do nothing and enjoy your hair and cute updos :) Of course the stylist wants you to come see her for a cut- thats how she makes a living.

lapushka
November 2nd, 2015, 12:42 PM
Yes, of course the stylist said that. I mean, come on, what do you expect. It's a stylist, and hair that's beyond a certain length should be cut (up), right? NO. Just no. Don't even go back to her. Just do what you've been doing all along, and be sure to baby it after all that heat!

Night_Kitten
November 2nd, 2015, 12:51 PM
It depends on your hair's condition - if it's healthy and in a good condition, there's no reason to cut unless you want a new haircut / style... :)

Your hair stylist is probably used to working with chemically treated and heat-styled hair, which gets damaged on a regular basis and needs the periodic trims to look good, and she projects the same trim schedule on you regardless of your hair's real condition (plus regular trims = more money for the stylist, which is probably also a factor)...

Nique1202
November 2nd, 2015, 12:52 PM
Stylists either honestly believe (because they were taught) OR will just tell you anyway that hair "grows faster and healthier" after a trim because it makes them more money, even though the only reason it could ever look healthier is if you have a lot of damage at the ends and the trim brings you back up to healthier hair.

From your routine it sounds like you're avoiding most sources of damage, so unless your hair is making YOU unhappy, you almost definitely don't need to trim.

lapushka
November 2nd, 2015, 12:54 PM
It depends on your hair's condition - if it's healthy and in a good condition, there's no reason to cut unless you want a new haircut / style... :)

Oh yes, definitely. Check your hair for white dots (up the shaft) and splits and if you have a few of those, they just as easily come out with S&D, no need to trim at all if it's just a few. If it's more than half your hair, though, a trim might be in order!

I've been without a trim now for 2 years (last trim November 2013!) - there just is no reason to trim. I have all virgin hair and there is no sign of damage in my hair. I have been suffering some breakage of late, but it seems to have stopped a few weeks ago. So phew... :)

eshta
November 2nd, 2015, 12:59 PM
I agree with Sarahlayrinth. It sounds like you have a very healthy hair routine, and your stylist didn't actually say it was damaged or did she? Hair stylists mostly work with hair that is dyed regularly and heat styled pretty much daily with lots of products to boot. That needs to be cut regularly to get rid of damage, to go 1 whole year without cutting must sound pretty shocking to a hair stylist.

Are you fairy tailing or is your hemline starting to get uneven? Your hair stylist might mistake that as damage as very damaged hair can break off and form an uneven hemline.
I don't know I'm just guessing here :shrug:

Only cut if you feel it's damaged and needs a cut.

Edited to add: Jeesh, I'm a slow typer. Basically what everybody else said.