PDA

View Full Version : Plan dilemma (kind of a useless rant, but only you longhairs won't think I'm crazy)

chantecler
November 1st, 2015, 06:05 PM
So, I have a hair plan. It goes like this: Grow until classic with only minor trims (or like, hip or tailbone if it doesn't want to go longer)
Enjoy for a while (a year, maybe two)
Cut all off to a bob (maybe donate?)
Have fun with layers, colours, whatever for a while (living young and wild!)
Grow back out when I want long again. (faster than last time, now that I know about hair care)
Profit (? ;) )
Now, my hair is finally mostly healthy, wavier than it used to be, a tiny bit past BSL, looking pretty good.
Problem is, I've started thinking about how if I want to experiment with cut and colour, I might be better off doing it now at 18 (well, almost, in less than a week), in an open-minded artistic school, than in four or five years when I'll have reached classic. Then again, I looooove long hair, I know I'll miss braids and buns and whatnot, but I kinda miss the cuteness and simpleness of a bob. I'm also really curious as to what the waves will do with all that lenght off. I also feel like it would rid me of the rest of previoulsy dammaged hair, even though it's in pretty decent shape, but still dryer and more prone to splits.

So I'm looking at myself with a faux bob hairstyle, thinking I look pretty good, and I am second guessing my plan SO MUCH. Just to not help, my SO totally thinks I look hot with long hair OR with a bob. My mother would also judge me very harshly if I went for a bob, because she thinks I'm wasting time and money on my hair already, so why would I cut it.

I'm rethinking my plan, maybe I should wait until I hit WL in about six to seven months, and then cut it off, enjoy and grow it out to classic later? I'm worried I'll regret it a whole lot, but I'm also worried on missing my opportunity for trendier hair while I'm young...

What do you guys think? Any anecdotes you want to share? You're the only other hair weirdos I know!

SparkleToes
November 1st, 2015, 06:13 PM
Maybe you should just experiment with colors now. There's a ton of non damaging semi color out there. Then maybe if your hair does end up looking not so great (if you plan to use permanent colors/bleach) you could experiment with layers and cuts. This however defeats the donation part of your plan and technically the classic length part, but it might give you more room to play with colors and cuts. Just my opinion;)

spidermom
November 1st, 2015, 06:45 PM
I think I'd play now and grow later. It seems that the longer hair gets, the harder it is to part with it. Going from your current length to a bob wouldn't be as much of a shock as going from classic to a bob. Of course people do it; no choice is better than the other, really. You've got a point where you mention that you might be limited when you leave school for a job.

Rushli
November 1st, 2015, 07:04 PM
I'm team play now.

I am letting my hair grow, but give my under layer a bleach bath and then dye a veggie dye. So far I have not noticed any extra damage because I have been taking care of it. (well, mostly... the past couple months have been rough and my hair does not get the same super high level of care, but as far as damage goes, it does not seem to have suffered.) I am enjoying having blue and purple hair because I am a SAHM and dont have work requirements that say no. If my dreams come true, once kids are in school I will be volunteering in their classes, so I should be able to have whatever hair I want, but just incase I have to actually get a job I can always stop coloring. I'll miss it, but wont have those if only thoughts. I would have a harder time with deciding to cut it, but that is just were I am at personally. I would go with SparkleToes' idea and dye now, then bob it if there is too much damage or you really feel drawn to it.

Colochita
November 1st, 2015, 07:23 PM
Do what makes you happy! :)

If you want to play with it, play with it. You can always grow it out later. Don't forget to enjoy it above everything else.

MsPharaohMoan
November 1st, 2015, 07:26 PM
Profit! ;D

Merlin
November 1st, 2015, 11:14 PM
Do what makes you happy! :)

If you want to play with it, play with it. You can always grow it out later. Don't forget to enjoy it above everything else.

What she said!

Nini
November 2nd, 2015, 03:10 AM
Think about it for a little while longer until you're more sure of what you want, then go for it, whatever it is.

Suguru
November 2nd, 2015, 03:12 AM
I did something very similar to your hair plan, actually (see "Before and After thread" for pictures). I grew my hair to past classic, then cut it to BSL (donated 50 cm), then permed it, dyed it red, bleached it blonde, cut a front fringe into it and dyed it dark brown (in that order, although in retrospect I should have done blonde before the red). Finally I shaved it all off with a "number 1" clipper guard (leukaemia fundraiser) and since then have been growing it out again. I had reasons for doing everything in the order that I did it, and I don't regret any of it. I think one good thing about having grown to classic before I started to play is that I have experienced both the good and frustrating things about having hair that long and I won't always be wondering what it would be like, if for whatever reason I never grow it that long again.

chantecler
November 2nd, 2015, 05:23 AM
Thank you all for your replies! I think I'm going to try to think on it until I hit waist, which should be in April or around that, and then take a decision. I feel waist is a good goal, because it leaves me enough time to think, while not keeping me captive for years. It's also the first hair lenght goal I had when I joined LHC (took me about a day to want hip, and week to want tailbone and a month to say eff that, I'm going for classic... typical LHC) and the lenght at which for me hair is actually long.

I know I get tired of short hair kinda fast (needs cutting way too often), so I'll probably last for like, a year or two before I itch to grow it out again anyways...

lapushka
November 2nd, 2015, 05:27 AM
OMG, when I was a teen, I went nuts with my hair. Crimping, coloring, bleaching, you name it. This was the eighties. Then when I hit 20, I shaved it all off, and kept it short (a few mm) for a few years while going to college. When I hit 22, I had hair between shoulder-APL again and it was necessary for a job search. You just could *not* do that with a shaved head (they would think you were sick). So if you have no "serious", permanent job obligations, go nuts. And be more serious later, when it's necessary.

eshta
November 2nd, 2015, 07:24 AM
I'm also team play now. Experimenting with layers and colors will be fun with long hair, and done right you might not even need to cut if you don't want to. Look up the photo's DakarNick recently posted of his wife with mermaid colored hair, the braids and up-do's are beyond gorgeous. This would rule out donating though.

MeAndTheMaz
November 2nd, 2015, 08:00 AM
I'd say play now and ruin it to your heart's content. Then when you're ready to get serious, chop it back and grow as long as you like. Just think of all the fun you can have with longer hair. Watching the Mets lose yet another game the other day, there was a girl in the stands that had a rainbow colored hombre. Looked really cool. You can even chop your way back to a bob over time.

Amenahh
November 2nd, 2015, 10:54 AM
I'd say go crazy now as well! You can always grow it later.
In a few years you won't be able to be as crazy with colours as you can at this age...

Just keep in mind that once you chop it, you might want it long again! (this happens with me everytime I grow it and then chop)

Or maybe you can play with some semi permanent hair dyes that would not damage your hair as much, so you could still have long hair.

chantecler
November 2nd, 2015, 05:10 PM
Thank you all again, I think I'll start by adding layers (maybe even face framing!) to my hair again, and maybe some colour. Then I'll see what I do later on.
I'm confident that next time I grow my hair out seriously, it won't take me five and a half year to go from mid neck bob to BSL, now that I know how to care for it.

Even if I'm not in the process of growing it out actively, I'll probably still hang out here for the people and the good hair care advice :)

JadedByEntropy
November 2nd, 2015, 08:05 PM
totally play now. You have a theoretical nother 4 years to have crazy hair or shave it off and still enter the 'normal' world when necessary. I sure went nuts in highschool, and being classic-ish in uni isn't that 'extreme' actually. I would completely have postponed my 'normal' long hair for later had i known i would be a scientist...who trusts a chemist with purple hair? noone. So have FUN! you won't get more full-blown judgement-free years until you're retired. ;)

EDIT also, i've done the donation thing 10",12",14" and its not that fun. Everyone thinks you broke up with someone. -.- plus, i recommend doing all the dye before the cuts just because you can cut off damage/dye and have loong color until then.

spirals
November 2nd, 2015, 09:16 PM
Profit (? ;) )

:rollin: FINALLY--someone who gets Underpants Gnomes references! That's one of my favorite episodes ever.

ravenreed
November 5th, 2015, 01:08 AM
I managed to grow my hair to waist while using damaging box dyes. I think part of my success is that I rarely use heat on my hair. That said, I did have a lot of damage to grow out, but my hair is fingertip length now and purple, so I am clearly not willing to give up the color! I just found less damaging ways of coloring my hair.

chantecler
November 5th, 2015, 06:07 PM
Actually, I think the color part is less what preoccupies me than the lenght part. I think I could manage color and managing dammage, it's more that I'm kind of missing short hair, and the edgy feel it gives. Also, I'm kinda craving hair change, which I didn't think was part of my personnality :P I guess we learn things on this journey!

bunneh.
November 9th, 2015, 05:51 AM
About length I recommend you go slowly... Like you said you'd get layers, try that if you want, maybe trim off a little bit at the time as well, just don't regret anything x3 I know it'd be quite a shock for me to lose a lot of length, but I went slowly... A bit of layers, a bit more layers, TBL to waist... Never regret my choices. :)