PDA

View Full Version : Dads doing their daughters' hair (video)

Neoma
November 1st, 2015, 02:22 PM
This made me smile...
http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/see-why-these-dads-are-taking-their-daughters--hair-seriously-556451907839

missrandie
November 1st, 2015, 03:41 PM
That is precious. My dad used to braid my hair on occasion.. I loved it :)

Neoma
November 1st, 2015, 05:01 PM
That is precious. My dad used to braid my hair on occasion.. I loved it :)

That's so sweet, missrandie. :flowers:

missrandie
November 1st, 2015, 09:40 PM
That's so sweet, missrandie. :flowers:

He so taught me how to braid... On his hair. It was only shoulder length, but he let me practice french braiding on it :) I thought he was so cool to let me do that!

Neoma
November 2nd, 2015, 06:39 AM
He so taught me how to braid... On his hair. It was only shoulder length, but he let me practice french braiding on it :) I thought he was so cool to let me do that!

Oh that's so cute! What a great thing for him to do and such a wonderful memory for you! :heartbeat

lapushka
November 2nd, 2015, 09:03 AM
I remember when I had classic length, my mom taught my dad how to make a ponytail on me because he was supposed to fully take care of me the next day. He left it loose! :lol: And I, of course, didn't have the desire to comb it (oh hell the next day when my mom had to comb through the knots). LOL!

Neoma
November 2nd, 2015, 10:50 AM
I remember when I had classic length, my mom taught my dad how to make a ponytail on me because he was supposed to fully take care of me the next day. He left it loose! :lol: And I, of course, didn't have the desire to comb it (oh hell the next day when my mom had to comb through the knots). LOL!
That's funny, lapushka. :)

I keep trying to convince DH to learn how to do my hair. He just gives me that "yeah, right..." look.

lapushka
November 2nd, 2015, 11:22 AM
You know it's sad, Neoma. When my grandma had her stroke (half paralyzed), my granddad was my grandma's only care-giver. The first thing that went was her hair, he had it shaved off. It looked awful! :( Of course, my mom immediately told him he couldn't do that and she promised to come do her hair on a weekly basis - he just was scared and too ashamed to ask for help.

embee
November 2nd, 2015, 11:32 AM
Shaved off? Oh, adding insult to injury! Your poor grandparents, what a situation to be in. How sad. I guess most of us are headed that direction, and it's something to consider for sure. Better enjoy the long hair while we can still care for it ourselves...

lapushka
November 2nd, 2015, 11:33 AM
Shaved off? Oh, adding insult to injury! Your poor grandparents, what a situation to be in. How sad. I guess most of us are headed that direction, and it's something to consider for sure. Better enjoy the long hair while we can still care for it ourselves...

Yes, well to a few mm (with clippers) - but it was just about bald!

Neoma
November 2nd, 2015, 11:51 AM
You know it's sad, Neoma. When my grandma had her stroke (half paralyzed), my granddad was my grandma's only care-giver. The first thing that went was her hair, he had it shaved off. It looked awful! :( Of course, my mom immediately told him he couldn't do that and she promised to come do her hair on a weekly basis - he just was scared and too ashamed to ask for help.

Oh, that's so sad for both of them... :blossom:

lapushka
November 2nd, 2015, 12:58 PM
Oh, that's so sad for both of them... :blossom:

Yeah, they're both gone, have been for a number of years now. But he cared for her for over 10 years and he never shaved her head again. My mom was good on her promise.

Frankenstein
November 2nd, 2015, 01:33 PM
My dad has braided my hair on several occasions, though he doesn't want to do it much these days due to arthritis in his fingers. I was able to get him to finish a braid for me the other day :) He also taught me the correct way to use a crimping iron... no idea how he had that knowledge :lol:

Neoma
November 2nd, 2015, 01:46 PM
My dad has braided my hair on several occasions, though he doesn't want to do it much these days due to arthritis in his fingers. I was able to get him to finish a braid for me the other day :) He also taught me the correct way to use a crimping iron... no idea how he had that knowledge :lol:

That's really cool, Frankenstein. If my father had demonstrated how to use a crimping iron, I would have fainted. :flower:

Frankenstein
November 2nd, 2015, 02:16 PM
That's really cool, Frankenstein. If my father had demonstrated how to use a crimping iron, I would have fainted. :flower:

It was really cool and bizarre at the same time. I asked him how he learned how to do it and he didn't know... He thought possibly his brother (who had long hair in the 80s) had shown him, but I kind of doubt it :lol:

Hairkay
November 2nd, 2015, 02:39 PM
That was nice to see father's having some hair time with their daughters. The first time I saw a man comb, detangle, part and plait his little girls' hair was when we had a trip to the beach when I was 9 in the Caribbean. He had 3 daughters and they lined up to have their hair done. They had thick collar bone length afro hair. I guess he was a single father.

I did have a neighbour who was sickly and wanted me to do her hair. I did so on two occasions. I stopped because she was rude to me. When I had my hair in braid outs she asked why I hadn't combed my hair. I'd also taken up the hems of her pyjama trousers as she'd wanted yet she was critical because the trouser legs were wide. This was a wide straight leg styled trousers not tapered ones. She had said nothing of wanting the legs to be made narrower when she'd wanted the altered. I'd painstakenly unpicked each stitch by the lace edging, removed the lace, cut the trousers to the desired length and replaced the lace edge so it looked as if it had come from the shop that way. In short she only had complaints for me. Plus I knew I was allergic to her hair products that she wanted to me to use in her hair so it was causing me harm to do her hair. I talked to the husband one day when I was out with my hair in two large cornrows, crown braid style. He said he used to do his sister's hair just like that. I wondered why he wasn't the one doing his wife's hair then. The wife continued to complain that she didn't have some woman around to do her hair the last time I saw her. At that time I'd been in a car accident so I had trouble lifting my arms to comb my own hair for over a year. I smiled politely and left her to her moaning. I knew that she assumed I was capable of doing what she wanted. It seemed with her frustration with her illness and increased disabilities she was taking it out on people. I just couldn't afford to be her scapegoat.

Here's some fun ones of dads doing their girls' hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omtw12OykFA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO9myzqfFEI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsOcwcsHOLA

mindwiped
November 3rd, 2015, 05:18 AM
For my senior yearbook photo I had just put my hair up in it's typical half up that I wore all the time. I'd made sure it was neat, but hadn't done anything special. My father demanded I wait, and he curled and fussed over my hair. At the time I was crabby, I wasn't ever big on heat styling, but looking back, his love and desire to make sure I looked nice is sweet.

Neoma
November 3rd, 2015, 07:02 AM
For my senior yearbook photo I had just put my hair up in it's typical half up that I wore all the time. I'd made sure it was neat, but hadn't done anything special. My father demanded I wait, and he curled and fussed over my hair. At the time I was crabby, I wasn't ever big on heat styling, but looking back, his love and desire to make sure I looked nice is sweet.

That's adorable, mindwiped. What a precious memory!

juniperjetcat
November 3rd, 2015, 07:35 AM
So sweet to see! My dad never knew what to do with my hair (which was super long) when I was little. He tried to braid it once and I landed up with a giant knot on my head for the weekend!