PDA

View Full Version : Gelatin??

LadyinWaiting
November 1st, 2015, 11:23 AM
Hello everyone!

I have been reading a lot about taking gelatin (collagen) to strengthen hair. One article I read said that it increased their growth rate substantially! I'm ordering some this month from amazon and I was wondering if anyone has had success with this supplement? The stuff I will be ordering is soluble in water and a lot of people put a tbs. in their coffee without being able to detect the taste. The reviews online are ridiculously amazing. I'm all in for giving it a try.

diddiedaisy
November 1st, 2015, 12:14 PM
I've never used it but when I was little my mum said a cube if jelly everyday was good for your hair and nails. I don't know if it increases growth though, nothing makes my hair grow faster :/

Sarahlabyrinth
November 1st, 2015, 12:19 PM
I often put a teaspoon in my cup of tea. It can't do any harm.

Nimia
November 2nd, 2015, 01:39 PM
I've been taking it for a year and a half (Great Lakes collagen), and haven't noticed any change in growth rate or thickness, in either my hair or nails. What I have noticed, and noticed within the first two weeks, was less redness/roughness in my face. It comes back if I stop taking it for a week or so.... but I have mild atopic dermatitis/eczema and screwy skin in general, so those results may not translate to others.

I put it in my coffee, as it hides the taste/smell which to me is like wet dog. Yum!

Hairkay
November 2nd, 2015, 03:00 PM
I haven't tried it in hair as yet. I'll happily eat some jelly or have a good thick soup with the base made from home made stock (boiled bones and herbs). I don't like the idea of treating everything like a medication. Just eat a nourishing meal.

LadyinWaiting
November 2nd, 2015, 07:06 PM
I've been taking it for a year and a half (Great Lakes collagen), and haven't noticed any change in growth rate or thickness, in either my hair or nails. What I have noticed, and noticed within the first two weeks, was less redness/roughness in my face. It comes back if I stop taking it for a week or so.... but I have mild atopic dermatitis/eczema and screwy skin in general, so those results may not translate to others.

I put it in my coffee, as it hides the taste/smell which to me is like wet dog. Yum!

Glad to hear that it has helped your complexion. I also ordered the same brand and am excited to see if I notice any difference. :) Thanks for sharing your experience!

Dommydomdom
November 3rd, 2015, 09:29 AM
Sorry to go off topic, but is there a similar post about protein treatments/supplements?

Dommydomdom
November 3rd, 2015, 09:32 AM
Also, apart from having a great blog for all things beauty, Alex Raye has posted about gelatin in hair treatments... http://almostexactlyblog.com/2013/12/31/gelatin-hair-mask/ and http://almostexactlyblog.com/2013/12/04/natural-solutions-for-faster-and-healthier-hair-growth/

VJG
November 3rd, 2015, 08:00 PM
I don't really measure my hair so I can't actually speak to growth, however gelatin in my coffee has helped me a lot with morning nausea and stomach trouble, consequently helping me eat better overall and that certainly helps with hair and skin health.

LadyinWaiting
November 4th, 2015, 08:42 PM
I don't really measure my hair so I can't actually speak to growth, however gelatin in my coffee has helped me a lot with morning nausea and stomach trouble, consequently helping me eat better overall and that certainly helps with hair and skin health.

Good to know!

Daydreamer.
January 9th, 2016, 03:23 AM
I've always been curious about consuming gelatin for hair growth. Any others who have tried this?

meteor
January 9th, 2016, 09:15 AM
I've always been curious about consuming gelatin for hair growth. Any others who have tried this?

I've never tried eating anything for hair, but I do like collagen-rich foods (connective tissues, odd bits of meat around bone...) and I think it's supposed to be good food for joints, skin, nails and hair...

I use gelatin in hair masks sometimes, and it adds volume, manageability and shine. The mask I like to do: 1 packet of Knox gelatin + 1/4 cup of hot water + enough conditioner to make consistency easy to apply + 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of oil + 1 tablespoon of honey.