PDA

View Full Version : Chinese bun vs. Chinese bun

Gothic Lolita
October 10th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Before I joined here I got my very first haircare and styling tips from this wonderful German page:
http://kupferzopf-flechtfrisuren.de/

The lady making the site also makes wonderful bunning/braiding tutorials on youtube. On her page I saw the Chinese bun and tried it but I always found that my hair is either too thick or too layered for this.
Then I came here and saw many people with much shorter and layered hair doing the Chinese bun without any problem.

Now I compared the instructions from Capelli Lunghi and Kupferzopf and found that they show two different buns.

Here Kupferzopf's video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBpcdUv9xXA

And here Capelli's instructions, taken from the Articles: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=15

So, I've learned that I know two different buns under the same name and wanted to show you all KUpferzopf's version, which I think is very pretty and I like it even better than "our" Chinese bun.

florenonite
October 10th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Kupferzopf's looks like Capelli's variation after the original bun.

Angellen
October 10th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I like it! I was thinking of wearing my hair in a Chinese bun today, so I think I'll give it a shot. :) Thanks for the link, I also found her four-strand braid one by accident, which is fabulous because I've never been able to get it and I think it'll help. Yay!

Carolyn
October 10th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I like the bun in the video. Thanks for sharing the link. It's always nice to have a new bun variation. My goodness that woman has a looooooong neck!

vindo
October 10th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I love the chinese bun but those little "eggs" always stick out way too strongly on me, like torpedos and you can see the hair band :(

Ponytale
October 10th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Wow! I love the alternative method. I must try it after my honey treatment :).

I hate to say it, but I feel like the two knobs look a little like a...er...buttocks if I don't situate the bun right.

Xanthippe
October 11th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Kupferzopf's looks like Capelli's variation after the original bun.

That's what I was thinking. I think even though it's shown with slightly different instruction, it turns out the same as the variation.

Kupferzopf's videos are really helpful! Thanks for linking to them.

Arctic_Mama
October 11th, 2008, 05:40 PM
It's a great tutorial, I didn't really 'get' the bun before that. WOOHOO!

WaimeaWahine
October 13th, 2008, 04:29 AM
What are those things she's screwing into her hair?? They look like little corkscrews.

ClareDee
October 13th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I think they're called hair 'scroos'? (Or are branded as that) I could be wrong on that.

Kupferzopf's videos are/were a big inspiration for me to have long hair! I found her on Youtube, and the Chinese bun became my goal :)

I had never seen Capelli's version, but it's lovely too, and I'll be able to do it sooner, because it looks like it requires less length than Kupferzopf's.
:cheese:

ysmalan
October 13th, 2008, 07:47 AM
I love Kupferzopf's instructions! Her site got me into the "long hair world" in the beginning. :love:

What are those things she's screwing into her hair?? They look like little corkscrews.

:eek: Does that mean Hair Scroos (http://dynimage.basler-haarkosmetik.de/DE/out/1/html/0/dyn_images/1/0134481_05_L_01_DE.jpg) aren't something everyone is familiar with on this forum? I couldn't live without them! Any kind of normal hair pin just slides out of my hair, but the scroos' hold is unsurpassed.
In Germany and Austria some drugstores have them.

mugglemomof3
October 13th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Thanks for those links!!!!! :D

WaimeaWahine
October 13th, 2008, 06:00 PM
ysmalan, thank you sooo much for the link!

I had no idea and haven't seen those before. Everything just slides right out of my hair.

intothemist1999
October 13th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I love the chinese bun but those little "eggs" always stick out way too strongly on me, like torpedos and you can see the hair band :(

I'm not overly wild about the eggs, either. I just happened to be looking at that very site earlier today, and I like her version of the Chinese bun better. However, I notice she often has the camera too low and I lose what exactly she's doing with her hand above the camera shot, so I gave up after a few attempts.

intothemist1999
October 13th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I hate to say it, but I feel like the two knobs look a little like a...er...buttocks if I don't situate the bun right.

I wasn't going to say it! LOL That's it, exactly.

Gothic Lolita
October 15th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Sorry that I've been absent for a while.

I think too, that Capelli's and Kupferzopf's version are nearly similiar, but there must be adifference, because my bun turns out different when I take other instructions.

I also second what Emichiee said, I dislike that you can see the hairbands under these "eggs". Has anyone a suggestions about hiding it better? I've tried bands that match my haircolor, but I always feel that they're still very visible. But I love updos which look as if they aren't fastend at all or just with a single stick.