PDA

View Full Version : Advice to trim or not too

vega
October 31st, 2015, 05:03 PM
Hi guys
my hair is now reaching BSL I'm noticing slot of splits on the ends , I'm constantly s d these splits but keep appearing , I've eliminated using Tangle teezer, wet brush, and only using Hercules wide tooth comb, I was thinking damage could of been due to hair brushing but not sure, I usually don't use sulphates but used them this morning for a super clean to get rid of any product build up, usually when I reach this stage BSl I just opt for a trim , this time I don't want too but my hair has little knots at the end should I trim

copperlites
October 31st, 2015, 08:35 PM
With such curly hair the brushing could be part of the issue so it's good to see you have given that up. I am no expert but have been doing trims on my BSL hair once a month since JULY. this has hampered my goal of getting to waist length by Christmas but on the plus side it has removed damage. Sure my hair would now be three inches longer but at what cost? It now looks and feels healthy and I was told this week at two seperate hair salons that my hair was in great condition. I'd love for my hair to be longer but I've learnt how to take better care of it and that has meant losing some length that was damaged. Personally I'd rather have it look and feel healthy, if a bit shorter, than have it longer with damage. If the knots can't be combed out then cutting is the only option surely? I imagine they could snag and snarl whilst combing and could cause snapping higher up? I am realising that at this length that keeping up with the regular treatments and oiling etc is essential to maintaining the health of hair and you have not mentioned if you are doing this?

spidermom
October 31st, 2015, 08:43 PM
I don't know what's best for you, but I always trim when I start noticing a lot of splits. They travel; tiny splits get wider and break off, get wider and break off; it's awful.

Deborah
October 31st, 2015, 09:03 PM
I think you need a trim. Nothing else really gets rid of damaged ends.

lapushka
November 4th, 2015, 09:47 AM
If your hair is not half riddled with splits & white dots, it is salvageable with S&D only... provided you have a little patience. I know a trim is often a quick-fix but if you really want to let it grow... maybe try some more S&D first?

missrandie
November 4th, 2015, 11:17 AM
It's up to you, but I personally would microtrim for the next few months.

As Lapushka said, with patience, you could do it via SnD only too.

cat11
November 4th, 2015, 11:58 AM
I would get a trim. Nothing big just half an inch. I'd reccomend doing that every 6 months while you're growing to keep the ends from deteriorating while still keeping almost all your length

SparkleToes
November 4th, 2015, 12:18 PM
You could do a 1/4-1/2 inch trim and then continue once a month with micro trims