PDA

View Full Version : Normal shedding?

Alma Petra
October 31st, 2015, 03:49 PM
I know that this is a very basic question, but how much shedding is to be considered normal? I'm confused now and I don't know whether to be content with or to be very worried about my shedding. I'm particularly interested in answers from ladies with thin (i?) rather short (APL or so) hair... But anything else is also very welcome :)

Nique1202
October 31st, 2015, 04:07 PM
Depending on who you ask, 100-150 hairs every day is normal/average, whether you have thick or thin hair isn't specified but it's probably averaged between both. Since everyone's number of total hair follicles varies, I'd think that thinner hair probably sheds on the lower end of that range normally and thicker hair probably sheds at the higher end. Length doesn't make a difference, except in the volume that each hair takes up when you clump your sheds all together. (Longer hair will look like it's more shedding, even though it's not.)

Silverbrumby
October 31st, 2015, 04:27 PM
Depending on who you ask, 100-150 hairs every day is normal/average, whether you have thick or thin hair isn't specified but it's probably averaged between both. Since everyone's number of total hair follicles varies, I'd think that thinner hair probably sheds on the lower end of that range normally and thicker hair probably sheds at the higher end. Length doesn't make a difference, except in the volume that each hair takes up when you clump your sheds all together. (Longer hair will look like it's more shedding, even though it's not.)

I have BSL hair which is very very tapered. I have a 3 1/4 inch ponytail. My terminal is short and I shed a lot. Which makes perfect sense. If I was you I'd measure the ponytail and get an idea of average shed counts for you. Most of the time when I run my fingers through my hair, comb or brush it hair comes out. In the shower I lose usually a minimum of 60 hairs, probably more. I have lost hundreds in the shower during sheds.

Average for you. Depends on what's happening in your life. Stress, childbirth, medication and aging all contribute to higher shed rates. Some birth control pills as well.

luxurioushair
October 31st, 2015, 04:35 PM
Like Nique said, about 100 strands a day!

If you want you can lay off the combs for a couple of days and simply remove the shed hairs by hand. This way you have a really good idea of how much hair is coming out. It might look like a lot but it might be the normal level of shedding.

juniperjetcat
November 3rd, 2015, 08:42 AM
I have 17inch F/M ii hair and find that I shed about 130 - 150 strands a day. It looks like a lot but I have been told it is normal by my doctor. However hairstylists always used to comment on how much hair was left in the basin after they washed my hair. I don't know if I have helped you in anyway but if the shedding worries you maybe you can speak to someone about taking a good iron supplement or biotin? Both these helped my hair quality and seems to lessen the shed. I have also started WO and it seems to have helped as well.

Nini
November 3rd, 2015, 09:36 AM
If your hair stays pretty much the same, maybe with some seasonal change as it's common to shed more both in spring and autumn, then we're talking normal shedding;) No use in getting hung up on a number!

Cap93WL
November 7th, 2015, 04:42 PM
I also shed a lot, I have no idea of the number, but I'm always loosing hair.
But I've been this way since childhood, so it's normal for me.
as people have said, as long as there isn't a huge change, you're probably fine. :-D

lapushka
November 10th, 2015, 07:39 AM
Yep 100 hairs a day is average, and we are in fall shedding season, so, it might be even temporarily more!

Arctic
November 10th, 2015, 07:51 AM
Yes they say 100 hairs per day is avarage, but it varies a lot by individual. Basically, only you can know what is normal to you, and that is done by longer term observations. There is no need to actually calculate, I never do. (Although if one needs to contact doctor about increased shedding, calculated data might be handy.)

My normal shedding is very little. Of course some hairs shed when I don't notice, but normally I have, for example 0-1 hairs on my fingers when I wash my hair, and practically no hair comes out when I touch my hair most of the time. When I vacuum I don't need to be cleaning the nozzle regularly, and my shower drain doesn't develop a "drain snake". That is my normal. Ofcourse I do shed normally too, but it's so little I barely notice it.

It's very easy for me to notice increaced shedding, as it contrasts so much with my normal levels. Even slightly bigger quantities are easily noticeable.

Like I said, I've never counted my sheds, but it would very very difficult to do in practice too. If I see few sheds on the floor, how could I know when they have shed. But I suspect my normal shedding rate is much much less than 100 hairs, and to me, I suspect 100 per day is starting to be a shedding season rate.