PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a haircut

ebaviisakas
October 31st, 2015, 07:27 AM
Hi!
I have been growing out my hair dye for a few years now and I am getting fed up with my dyed ends. My hair lenght overall is down to my waist almost, my natural hair is about to my shoulders on the top layer, but the lower level is several inches longer. I have been trimming it myself with a straight cut for all this time and I feel like I am ready to get it cut. My hair is straight and quite thin.
I would like to have my natural hair grow long, what kind of haircut would be best for this? Are there any hairstyles where I could keep some of my lower levels longer (does this make sense?) without it looking very bad and thin?
What are your favorite medium length hair cuts?
And most importantly, how do I communicate with my hairdresses as to what I want exactly. I am quite unassertive and shy and I have bad experience with hairdressers. I would do it myself, but I do not have the skills or the balls to do such a big chop myself!

Thank you :)

lapushka
October 31st, 2015, 08:06 AM
If I were you, I'd just keep trimming myself.

There's 2 options, a blunt cut or layers.

Blunt: Feye's self-trimming method: http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/
Layers: Compact cut method (ponytail on top of head (longer layers); ponytail on top of forehead (short layering)).

I would most definitely *not* go to a hairdresser. You might end up with shoulder length hair. If you say to them "trim the dead ends off", they will get rid of all the dye most likely!

ebaviisakas
October 31st, 2015, 08:53 AM
I did not know about the compact cut! After researching a bit I think I might just do that. Thank you so much.

lapushka
October 31st, 2015, 09:23 AM
I did not know about the compact cut! After researching a bit I think I might just do that. Thank you so much.

I'd not recommend the Compact Cut for hair that's shorter than BSL, but since you're waist, that hardly matters. Just cut a tiny bit off the ponytail, though, not a huge lot!

spidermom
October 31st, 2015, 10:58 AM
Be slow and careful with the compact cut. Make sure you get all your hairs flowing in the same direction and centered on your head, and start with cutting off a small amount - maybe 1 inch. Then let your hair down and see what that did to the ends before you cut more.

Deborah
October 31st, 2015, 03:36 PM
If your hair is thin, as you say, cutting layers will probably make it look thinner. A blunt cut would help make the ends appear their thickest.

cat11
October 31st, 2015, 04:10 PM
^True. It's also good for growing out hair cause it's easy to trim and trim yourself. in my opinion the fancier or more layered the cut the more akward it is to grow it out. If you DO go to the dressers (I wish you luck with the compact cut!!) Its important to be exact. Instead of showing a picture, say "I want exaclt 2 inches off. I want layers but only in the last 3 inches of my hair" so they know an exact idea, not just an abstract one or a style or picture which may look different on you than the model or the stylist has a different idea. Like if you say "layered long bob" that might have a different picture in your head than in the stylists.

If you cant be frank and clear about what you want imagine what somebody you know who IS that way would say and then just say it.

yahirwaO.o
October 31st, 2015, 06:36 PM
I think a mid way between dramatic layers and blunt cuts is: A soft u round shape with lots of face framing layers. Your hair won't lose its thickness down the back-ends and you still have fun towards the front part and softer effect that layers often give while maintaining your overall thickness (very important for fine or thin hair)

I guess you can make the compact cut just with the front half part of your hair and get a nice result just like that. And to get a U-shape at the back spidermom's under the chin ponytail makes it super even and really easy.

ebaviisakas
October 31st, 2015, 10:53 PM
I ended up cutting my hair on my own. I did the compact method at first and it gave me nice layers in the front but the back was still too long so i ended up doing the blunt cut at the ends that i usually do and I am very satisfied with the result! I ended up cutting it all a few inches past my collarbone and the front layers are a bit longer than my chin.
Thank you all for advice!

Sweets
November 1st, 2015, 12:34 AM
I'm so glad it ended up the way you wanted it to! Sometimes we just have to jump in and take a chance - and I'd rather take a chance on myself than on someone else, so good job!

lapushka
November 1st, 2015, 05:01 AM
I ended up cutting my hair on my own. I did the compact method at first and it gave me nice layers in the front but the back was still too long so i ended up doing the blunt cut at the ends that i usually do and I am very satisfied with the result! I ended up cutting it all a few inches past my collarbone and the front layers are a bit longer than my chin.
Thank you all for advice!

OMG I didn't realize you were going that short! :shocked:

ebaviisakas
November 1st, 2015, 05:04 AM
OMG I didn't realize you were going that short! :shocked:

Haha yeah, it ended up working out really good though so no worries!