PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding shampoo alternative...

melikai
October 10th, 2008, 04:10 AM
I currently use Klorane's Camomile Shampoo, and love it, but it costs $18.00 for 400ml/13.4 oz, and that's a fair amount of money for me at the moment.

It's really a pretty basic shampoo. I feel that there must be a cheaper alternative out there! I'm not very picky - I just want it to have real chamomile extract and not too much other junk. I prefer sulphates and no cones please!

I know that Nature's Gate and Jason have shampoos with chamomile in them, but it isn't the main ingredient, and they have a lot of other stuff in there.

Here's what the Klorane has:

Water (Aqua), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide DEA, Chamomile Recutita, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid, Parfum, Methylparaben, PEG-15 Cocopolyamine.

I appreciate any help in finding an alternative!

willowcandra
October 10th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Instead of having to find an alternative, have you tried using less or diluting it in an empty bottle with some water? seems a shame to switch if it's working for you.

By diluting my poo or frothing it up in my palms first I use hardly any and it lasts a really long time. My shampoo costs £5 ($10) But I only need 1-1 1/2 bottles a year.

I have read on here that people mix shampoo with water in a spray bottle and spray into roots and they use little this way too. But I haven't tried that.

melikai
October 10th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Yes, unfortunately I have already tried diluting it - different dilution amounts too. It didn't work well for me at all, maybe because it is already a very gentle shampoo. ;/

Thanks for the suggestion though!

ChloeDharma
October 10th, 2008, 07:30 AM
If the chamomile is the most important part, what about getting a really cheap shampoo with the same type of sulphate in it that you use now, but diluting it in a chamomile infusion?

melikai
October 10th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Hrm, possibly. However, I heard that chamomile on its own is very drying (and hence why some herbal chamomile shampoos aren't as nice for the hair).

I know that VO5 has a shampoo with chamomile in it as well, but I'm assuming its much more harsh and doesn't have the actual extract.

ktani
October 10th, 2008, 08:45 AM
melikai

It sounds as if you really love this particular shampoo. I would do a search in your area for cheaper sources of it, through competitive vendors.

On drugstore.com the formula is different.

"Water (Aqua), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract (Chamomilla Recutita), Lauryl Betaine, Sodium Chloride, Cetrimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance (Parfum), Polyquaternium 10"
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=163703&catid=11936&aid=336119&aparam=klorane_golden_highlights

Arctic
October 10th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I'll write this here too so more people will see it: I suggested Melikai in her blog to try to dilute the good shampoo with aloe vera gel.

I didn't like diluting shampoo with water, it was too watery for my liking and more difficult to use, also got into the length more than my undiluted shampoo that I washed my scalp with. So I thought I would try to dilute the shampoo with aloe vera gel since my hair and scalp both love it, before I give up the whole diluting experiment.

It has worked really well, the consistency stays thick, it's as easy to apply as undiluted shampoo, it cleans well and clearly scalp and hair feel more moisturized like this! I think this is a keeper for me :)

melikai
October 10th, 2008, 11:32 AM
ktani: Actually, the ingredients you listed are the same as the bottle I have. Maybe there are different formulations for Europe and the US? However, the ingredient list in my initial post was from Folica.com...hmm mysterious.

I really do love this shampoo. Maybe I'll try out the Nature's Gate, which got good reviews, once I run out of the Klorane, and in the meantime try Arctic's aloe vera suggestion. Maybe it will simply have to be my one (hair) indulgence! :p

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Dacia
October 10th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I've used almost all versions of Klorane shampoo and I think diluting is not a good idea, as they hardly foam and are already runny.