PDA

View Full Version : Chelating Shampoo in Hard Water

xcrunr2go
October 29th, 2015, 10:24 PM
I'm dealing w/very annoying hard water currently. I rent, so investing in a water softener would be an extra expense I'd have to take on ($1,400) that would essentially give my landlord the benefit after I'm gone (if & when I move - sigh) however I would greatly benefit right now if I'm willing to pay the price! Dealing w/the hardness of the water is such a pain mainly because my hair is in a constant state of dry, brittle, lackluster. I've come across a couple chelating shampoo packets Malibu C from CosmoProf & Ion from Sally Beauty. Can I still use these under my hard water? Trying to wash my hair using distilled/purified water is very difficult, messy, costly & time consuming. I sometimes wash my hair at the gym where the water is softer, however that is also time consuming & inconvenient. Any thoughts?

AutobotsAttack
October 29th, 2015, 10:30 PM
Chelating shampoos will definitely work for places that have hard water. I have hard water and i use ORS creamy aloe shampoo, or sometimes i use Joico brands shampoos. They are mainly used to lift mineral deposits and chlorine, etc. So using the chelating shampoo you have will work just fine :)

eshta
October 30th, 2015, 12:21 AM
A water filter for the shower or filter shower head isn't that expensive (around $30) and easy to install. I recently bought one and I'm very happy with it. I too have very hard water with lots of iron in it. It really makes a big difference.

furnival
October 30th, 2015, 01:31 AM
You can always collect rainwater and use as a final rinse. :)

Anje
October 30th, 2015, 06:08 AM
Yes, you can use them with hard water. But a distilled water rinse at the end wouldn't hurt, just to get you to start off fresh.

Check for buildup and other stuff too. I live in a hugely hard water area and while I love having a water softener, my hair is one place where I don't notice a significant difference. It's more the fact that I don't get soap scum everywhere, everything covered in water spots, and need to use 4x the normal amount of detergents that I notice.

hennalonghair
October 30th, 2015, 06:21 AM
Great advice here. I've read a lot of good reviews about the joico chelating shampoo. Vinegar rinses and possibly some other water as a final rinse including rain water. I use fresh spring water with ACV and it makes a huge difference.

We have very hard water and relate to anje. My biggest problem was mineral deposits everywhere which makes for much tougher cleaning , more products and the WORST problem.......
Ruined appliances. Really hard water ruins appliances quicker. Dishwashers , washing machines or anything you have that has hard water running through it will get clogged up far quicker than your average user without hard water.
I occasionally run clear white vinegar through mine or those packages especially made for this It makes your appliances work like new again.

Cleaning was definitely the biggest deal for me. (Lol)

xcrunr2go
October 30th, 2015, 08:26 AM
I get a green tint in my shower within a few days & a slight orange tint where the water drips out of the faucet. I use baking soda to clean my shower as I can't stand chemicals. My washing machine has a slight orange tint where I put the detergent. My pots & pans are eroding w/an orange tint. I do have a Sprite shower filter installed however I'm unsure if it's working properly as I switched shower heads. I may look into getting another one to test it. As far as my hair is concerned, the rainwater seems like the most cost effective way to get a cleaner final rinse. Should I put it in a water bottle & pour over as if I'm under the shower & not upsidedown? My only problem w/Joico or Kenra is the added fragrance, which is not only sensitizing to my skin but the scent is usually too overpowering for me & can give me a headache. A fragrance-free version would be ideal for me.

eshta
October 30th, 2015, 09:05 AM
If you are looking for more natural/scent free products to chelate with, you can also try a heavy overnight coconut or organ oiling (said to chelate iron and copper) and a club soda rinse (said to break up certain mineral deposits [calcium] and neutralizes chlorine). It's what I use as I can't find any chelating products over here.

I do rinses in a big measuring cup and first dip the length in for a few seconds and then pour the rest over my head.

lapushka
October 30th, 2015, 09:20 AM
I never understand the problems anyone is having with hard water. We've had hard water here all my life (real hard water) and my hair is just fine. :shrug: I even once tried a demineralized water rinse (softer) and I found that to weird out my hair completely.

I guess it's just what you're used to...

Hairkay
October 30th, 2015, 10:07 AM
I never understand the problems anyone is having with hard water. We've had hard water here all my life (real hard water) and my hair is just fine. :shrug: I even once tried a demineralized water rinse (softer) and I found that to weird out my hair completely.

I guess it's just what you're used to...

Yep, I'm used to hard water with just the occasional mild vinegar rinse thrown in.

jeanniet
October 30th, 2015, 07:02 PM
Not all hard water is the same. The mineral content can vary quite a bit. Hardness only refers to calcium carbonate, but other minerals will also have an affect, and of course hair varies, too.