PDA

View Full Version : Is it bad to use shampoo for damaged hair when your hair is ok/normal?

markay23
October 26th, 2015, 12:50 PM
I have always been buying natural shampoo and hair masks for damaged and dry hair although my hair is in good health right now, because i think they are more effective and they have more active ingredients to keep hair healthy! What's your opinion on this? If my hair is normal, am I obliged to use products for normal hair? Could products for damaged hair be bad for normal hair (which i highly doubt) ?

lapushka
October 26th, 2015, 12:57 PM
I have dry lengths (classic length) and I always get conditioners for dry, damaged hair. My shampoos are lightweight and towards the clarifying side because I have oily hair.

My hair is healthy, nothing wrong with it.

Nadine <3
October 26th, 2015, 01:00 PM
No. Products for dry and damaged hair are usually just more moisture rich, some have proteins. Just pick one your hair likes and go with it!

Nique1202
October 26th, 2015, 01:07 PM
The thing about labels on hair products is that they're suggestions for general types, rather than rules. The important thing is finding a shampoo and conditioner that makes your hair feel the way you want it to, whether it's "meant" for your hair type or not.

Stuff for dry and damaged hair may have more moisture, cones, protein, etc. so you may have to clarify if your hair starts to feel weird but otherwise go free, walk off the beaten path, and enjoy.

meteor
October 26th, 2015, 01:10 PM
Yes, I definitely agree with others. :agree: It's no problem at all. :)

I actually think that as virgin hair gets very long, products marketed for "damaged" hair become increasingly useful as weathered hair tends to respond better and better to extra conditioning (even if it's only to make detangling and manipulation of greater lengths easier).

Sure, it's not unusual for heavy-duty products for "damaged" hair (e.g. with lots of silicones, proteins, etc) to build up relatively fast on virgin hair that doesn't need them but it's nothing that simple clarifying and/or rotating to lighter products can't easily fix. ;)

Use what makes your hair (and scalp!) happy! :D

Carolyn
October 26th, 2015, 01:14 PM
No, not harmful at all. I use those kinds of products all the time. I look for things that are labeled as moisturizing but I watch out for protein. I know my hair can get overloaded with protein very easily. I could never overdo it with moisture.

Arctic
October 26th, 2015, 01:19 PM
It's all about ingredients, and what your hair likes/needs, rather than what is printed on the bottle. My HG conditioner (now discontinued) was aimed from blonde hair, and I have most definitely NOT blonde hair, and it worked like a charm.

spidermom
October 26th, 2015, 10:22 PM
You might need to clarify more often, that's about the only down side I can think of.

AutobotsAttack
October 26th, 2015, 10:39 PM
personally I think its your decision and you should care for your hair how you want to. I use 'phates to cleanse my scalp, and cones to condition my length. And i use like a ton of products that are directed towards damaged hair (i do have chemically straightened hair), but my hair is still relatively healthy.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 26th, 2015, 10:42 PM
Not at all - I always buy moisturising shampoos and conditioners designed for dry hair, because my ends are old, and love the moisture.

MotherofJames
October 27th, 2015, 10:56 PM
My opinion.. when my hair was virgin hair and healthy, it could stand regular shampoo and conditioners just fine. Now that its damaged, Im using the holistic approach to babying it back to healthy hair. no sulfur, harmful products, ect. ect. I even use Apple cidar vinegar and also baking soda to gently clean the hair, but not atll the time, since my hair will start to act funny if I do that. I also have Calias from Canada natural shampoo and condition, the purple bottle. Amazing shampoo and conditioner and very healthy for damaged hair! And you can put protein back into your hair by using homemade keratin and protein masks ( egg whites, ect. ect)

Good luck!

MsPharaohMoan
October 29th, 2015, 03:32 PM
I use shampoo for thinning hair... Really it's just unicorn dust (fruit stem cells and BioActive 8 Berry Complex, whatever the heck that is). I've had roommates tell me my hair isn't thin casually and that's how I know they've been reading my shampoo bottle in the shower :lol:

goldenears
October 30th, 2015, 02:14 AM
I use a shampoo and conditioner that is marketed for "brittle dull, colour treated hair"

My hair is unprocessed and in good condition. The reason I use those products is because the shampoo adaquetly cleanses without irritating my scalp and the conditioner is light but packs a punch.