PDA

View Full Version : Momma always told me I'd have to cut my hair when I became an old lady

Indigosails
October 9th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I didn't listen to momma and I love being an old lady with long hair. :)

I am so very happy to find this place and look forward to meeting everyone.

Sue

mira-chan
October 9th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Welcome to LHC Indigosails! :flower:

Teazel
October 9th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Hi, Sue, and welcome! :D

My mother used to tell me of how she would sit and watch her granny brush out her beautiful long silver hair at night, and that's what I've always aspired to have some day. :)

Xandergrammy
October 10th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Hello and welcome from another old lady with long hair!! :flowers:

Islandgrrl
October 10th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Ditto what Xandergrammy said! Happy to have you here!

spidermom
October 10th, 2008, 01:37 PM
So, how many years young are you?

lynnala
October 10th, 2008, 02:48 PM
My mom told me the same thing, heck with that! Welcome!

Addy
October 10th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I wanna be an old lady 100 years young, stunning everyone with my hair and wit! :D

Wonder how long it would be in 70 years?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eyebrows: I could probably tie all the great grand kiddies together with it! :D

Welcome Indigosails! :cool:

darkwaves
October 10th, 2008, 09:22 PM
I didn't listen to momma and I love being an old lady with long hair. :)

What is old?

Your old may be my young; my old may be your ancient -- we range through many ages here.

And welcome!!!

longinthehair
October 11th, 2008, 07:00 AM
My mother just told the other day I should cut my hair to my shoulders - yikes! It's disheartening. But...this community provides the support we all need to encourage our enjoyable journeys. What is it about mothers who like to burst bubbles just when you're enthused about something?!?

Indigosails
October 11th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome and the supportive replies. I need to figure out how to get my age to show under my name along with a few other things. I am 52---not old in my mind. :) But then mom was telling me to cut my hair when I turned 30. I never could understand why she thought that long hair was for children.

I love beautiful long hair. I love long hair in the summer because I can put it up and be cooler. I hate having hair in my face and short hair is always in my face and always needing a trim.

FrannyG
October 11th, 2008, 08:05 AM
You've definitely come to the right place! Welcome. :blossom:

darkwaves
October 11th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Welcome, indeed.

Tressie
October 11th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Whoopee & Welcome to another old 'un with long hair! It used to be, in olden days, that the old ladies were the only ones WITH long hair. The young, hip chicks had bobs! LOL! How we've changed!!! I like being a .................dare I say it ............ a maverick! OK......a rebel!! YEEHAW!! Sorry! I had very little sleep last night, and I woke up craz........ier than usual!!

Alun
October 11th, 2008, 11:00 AM
My mother doesn't like long hair, but her mother, my gran, never cut her hair. She always wore it up in a bun or a crown braid, so I never saw how long it was.

Unofficial_Rose
October 11th, 2008, 12:41 PM
It's so liberating to see so many people who don't conform to the "cut your hair because of your age" brainwashing, isn't it? :D

Ice~Cold~Wind
October 11th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Long hair on older women is amazing, if well taken care of. I can imagine having long, white hair one day *drools*=)

patissegrietje
October 12th, 2008, 11:08 AM
AH! I don't understand why people think you should cut your hair when you get older.
Personally i think long grey/white hair is very beautiful and remember my great grandma combing her long grey hair.
She wore it in the most amazing updo's most of the time and always looked very classy!

ancilla
October 12th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Hi!

I just wanted to say that one of my lifelong dreams is to have long beautiful thick silver hair when I am in my 60s and 70s.
I absolutely refuse to cut my hair into those hideous old lady haircuts!
Though I suppose some women do it because their hair is thinning and that makes it look fuller.
hopefully if i take good care of my hair it won't thin like that!

eiyela
October 13th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Bah, my granny turned 74 a month ago, and she's still not an old lady! :p

Welcome to the boards.

Leabhar
October 13th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Welcome! I passed a modern age milestone and instead of cutting my hair, I bought more things to pamper it and myself with. If I listened to what my mother told me...I would have short hair still!

feralnature
October 14th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Another soon to be long-silver-hair here :)

Wecome :)

SophieGrowGrow
October 14th, 2008, 06:30 PM
power to you!
I love old ladys with long hair, I intend to be one of them! Long hair is better than a blue rince!

harpgal
October 14th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Welcome Indigosails, from another older gal. :waving:

robinjoy68
October 16th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I've heard that too. :) However, my grandmother had hair to her ankles and I thought it was cool. I keep cutting my hair off and currently it's pretty short but I think it's time to do what I've wanted to do my whole life...........let it grow grow grow! That's why I have joined. I think I am going to need much support! I see a lot of people here that have also had really short hair in the past and that does give me much hope! :)

joyfulmom4
October 17th, 2008, 04:46 PM
I can relate! I've heard that too.

I'm new here. Just joined this afternoon. I found the site while searching for new ways to style my hair. Glad to have found you all.

All my life I've loved long hair, but never had it until I was in my 20s. As a child, my mom kept my hair cut relatively short. She hates long hair. I finally decided to let it grow when I was at the end of my college years. Then I grew it out until it was to my waist or so. Never past that b/c everyone seemed to think there was a "too long" stage and it came somewhere between the bra strap and the waist, not longer.

When my first child was born, I cut my hair. Isn't that what new moms are supposed to do? That was the message I got. Cut your hair. You're a mom now. Too much work. Etc. I actually liked my haircut and it was cute and all that. But it sure wasn't easier at all. I had to get it cut every 6 weeks, 8 at the most. It required blow drying and styling and curling irons and hair products. Eventually, we moved to a new town and I couldn't find a stylist who cut it the way I liked, so it got icky and I again decided to grow it out.

I've been growing it now for about 7 years and it's down to my hips. I had been keeping it shorter, getting it trimmed whenever it got much past the waist, but one day I realized I was starting to sit on it. That took me by surprise b/c I hadn't planned to let it get that long, it just did. I usually have a trim every 4-6 months and I must have been going longer and/or getting less trimmed per session. Anyway, it's that long now.

I think about cutting it shorter every now and then, but I don't think I could bring myself to do it. I love it long. And even though I turned 40 this year and people seem to think that over 40 women must cut their hair, I just don't want to.

Long hair is a weird thing. People seem to react quite strongly to it. My mother still hates it. And I think some people find it strange or dislike it as she does. Others seem to love it and are fascinated by it. I've had complete strangers reach out to touch it and I regularly get many compliments on it. I'm sure my shorter, styled "do" a few years back would get better reviews on "What Not to Wear" but as far as positive feedback goes, I get ten times the compliments from strangers on my long, long hair.

It's great to find this group. Now I'm off to peruse the boards. I will have to get a picture to post soon.

lorig713
October 17th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Hello and Welcome to LHC, Indigosails. :flowers:

Cereus
October 17th, 2008, 09:40 PM
My mother also hated long hair. She liked hair to be short and permed. But then my grandmother on my father's side never cut her hair and felt that women should keep their hair long. I loved watching her comb out her hair before bed. This sounds like a common story here amongst us older LHCers. Welcome!

gdimoonbeam
October 17th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Age is a frame of mind unfortunitly my body has a mind of it's ownhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_5_122.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZKxdm098MRUS).

I too want to have floor length grey hair some day.
Welcome!!

hairyfairy
October 18th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Hello and welcome to the boards. :blossom:My mother is 76 and has wavy waist length hair. Her mother lived till 82 with tailbone length thick silver hair that I used to love to play with. I am trying..I'm trying..

Indigosails
October 20th, 2008, 08:09 PM
All the stories and memories of mothers and grandmothers with long is so inspiring.

Joyfulmom4---I have to agree that short hair is a lot more work than long and not near as much fun. I hate blow drying and trying to style it. Getting it cut is the worst. I hate sitting there while someone with scissors has my locks in their hands!

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Sammybunny711
October 21st, 2008, 12:14 PM
Yay for you ladies! Although I don't think there is anything wrong with old ladies getting their hair cut short, I hate it that most of them feel like they HAVE to. I certainly don't want to have that short hair when I am an older lady. I love older ladies who have beautiful silver/white hair in cute braids and have dangly earrings and a kind and welcoming smile. My mother also shivered when she learned I wanted to grow my hair out to my waist. What is it with people's disdain for long hair! It says in God's word that a woman's long hair is her GLORY! NOT her shame!! Bravo for you ladies! In forty years or so, I hope to have long pretty silver hair TOO!

Xandergrammy
October 21st, 2008, 12:34 PM
My mother would be 83 if she were still with us and although she and her mother had short hair, I know that she loved my long hair and would really love it at the length it is now. :inlove: