PDA

View Full Version : for those with Curly or coarse hair or hair-in-updos-all day

BroomHilda
October 24th, 2015, 05:16 AM
I shed a lot of hairs. I pull out a bunch of hair strands every time I pass my hand through ...all year-round.
Since my health &hormonal balance etc is in check I can't help but wonder:

Could that be because my hair is curly, styled with gel plus the fact that I leave it in a bun for like days in a row without brushing it? (natural shed hair strands get stuck on head)
Do you notice a similar situation?

Especially on wash days I get a hand-full of hair.

parkmikii
October 24th, 2015, 05:25 AM
It may be because of the length that you seem to shed so much? I brush only once a week as well but I take out some sheds even before bunning my hair. However if it's not affecting your hair circumference then I'd say that it's normal and they are just hairs that got to their terminal so they fall out. So no need to stress in that case.
Also, most of us shed a lot more on wash days, personally I shed 2 clumps of hair then and the length makes it look more than it actually is.

lapushka
October 24th, 2015, 05:42 AM
I don't detangle with a comb or brush for an entire week. I only comb/brush before a wash (every Sunday). So a total hair beast comes out before a wash, and after my wash when my hair comes out of the towel and is combed with a WT comb once more, yep, you guessed it, another hair beast comes out. During the week my hair is only separated (in half, in half and in half again) to get a minimal number of sheds out (about 5 to 10 hairs starting Tuesday/Wednesday).

It's not abnormal, no.

Arctic
October 24th, 2015, 05:49 AM
I also have been theorizing, that thick hair probably will always shed more than thinner hair, just because the sheer number of the follicles/hairs.

I fail to see how coarseness would have anything to do with shedding, other than maybe make the sheds more visible (when compared to a finer hair) because the strand thickness. Same thing as what was already mentioned about long hair seeming to shed more than shorter hair.

Hairkay
October 24th, 2015, 05:50 AM
That sounds like normal shedding. many of my shed hairs get stuck so I have to remove them when I do my weekly detangle.

momschicklets
October 24th, 2015, 07:06 AM
When I have my hair up for several days in a row...wow the sheds!! But when the hair is up, the hair that sheds doesn't fall to the ground, it just sits there in place until hair comes down and is combed out. So yes...happens to me all the time but I know it's normal so I try not to stress. I personally don't think texture, curls, etc. have anything to do with it. I'm sometimes very surprised that I have any hair on my head at all considering all the sheds....but somehow magically I do :magic:

Knifegill
October 24th, 2015, 07:10 AM
If they can't fall out, they will add up. It's normal. Instead of dropping a hair every half-hour, you will drop 50 hairs at once when you let 'em down. No worries!

lapushka
October 24th, 2015, 07:24 AM
Exactly. My mom barely finds hair on the floor here (sometimes a few, but no more). It's all combed and brushed and detangled over the sink and gathers in one spot; so that's why there's so many at once, especially when you keep it contained in a bun (like I do). It has its definite advantages (such as no hair on the floor everywhere).

Knifegill
October 24th, 2015, 07:28 AM
I try to do all my brushing in the bathroom and then just gather the hair with my fingers to toss it. There's not much there, though. I'm worried that I don't shed much, even when I brush. It's a tad unnerving!

I should get one of these to see how much I'm truly shedding!
http://www.lady-a.com/antiques/PHOTOS/Accessorypics/AB-4496.jpg

Okay, I just want a hair receiver to have one, I admit it!

Hairkay
October 24th, 2015, 07:52 AM
I find I'm battling with every strand. Since I'm detangling wet hair the little spirals tend to stick on my fingers when I attempt to put them in the bin. If the hair is a bit drier the hair drifts away from the bin when I try to release it over the open bin.

Colochita
October 24th, 2015, 10:38 AM
Like everyone said, its normal for us. :) I only get sheds when I take my hair down once month and its usually enough to cover half my palm.

Lucky me, sheds stick to my fingers so I just bunch them together and measure the final amount.

zen_oven
October 24th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Totally normal. I shed a little all the time, but when I wash I get a giant handful after rinsing out conditioner, and another when I comb out after the wash. To see the sheer amount that comes out I'd swear I'm going bald, but no, it's normal for it to seem like you are losing a lot if you have thick hair! :):pumpkin::heart: