PDA

View Full Version : How obsessed are you?

Sarahm
October 22nd, 2015, 01:07 PM
Since I discovered this website, I come here every day. I love reading all the helpful advice and seeing the beautiful pictures.

But, there is a downside: my hair has become an obsession. I'm not putting the blame on LHC, don't get me wrong. But I want to know if this new 'obsession' is normal.

So, a few questions:

- How 'obsessed' are you?
- How much time do you spend on your hair every day?
- Do you think you care aboutyour hair too much?

After all, it's 'just' hair, right?

MsPharaohMoan
October 22nd, 2015, 01:16 PM
I think being a bit obsessed, especially with all the information and treatments and hair toys and methods of oiling, washing, conditioning, moisturizing, etc etc ETC... Well, I think it's normal to some extent :P I like coming to LHC throughout the day if I need a break from homework or want to check in on a thread I'm having with some of the people I get along with. Sometimes I go weeks without logging on. It all depends really!

So to summarize: I don't think I'm that obsessed. I spend maybe half an hour every day for combing and updos. I mostly just put it up and forget it, unless it's to rebun throughout the day. If anything, I undercare for my hair (let it go days without combing then having to deal with dreads, d'oh!).

It may be 'just' hair to some, but to me taking care of my hair is very much an act of self care, which is an important part of keeping myself mentally healthy. It's so much nicer to take care of myself than it is to harm myself and that, to me, makes it a bit more than just hair.

I hope you enjoy your adventures growing and finding new friends here on lhc! :flowers:

luxurioushair
October 22nd, 2015, 01:20 PM
1. Obsessed? I think about it everyday...because if I don't, then I won't take care of it, and it won't grow as long as I want, and I would've spent money on expensive hair products for no reason...

2. I spend 5 minutes or less on my hair on the average day

3. No because I never cared about my hair before anyway, so why not care a little now, and see how long it'll grow.

Maybe it's not "just" hair otherwise there wouldn't be any part of the Bible that even mentions women's hair. But it says in 1 Corinthians 11:15 that if a woman has long hair, it's a glory to her. So maybe it's more than "just hair" and it matters, even if just a little bit.

longhairjenny
October 22nd, 2015, 01:22 PM
I go in cycles obsession over my hair. TLHC has actually been really helpful and made me feel a little more proactive about my hair. Now it seems that instead of "obsessing" about my hair throughout my day and having it invade my thoughts, I can come on here (about once or twice a day) and get some encouragement, and then go about my life!

Amenahh
October 22nd, 2015, 01:31 PM
Sarahm, I totally understand. My hair has become a mini obsession as well since I joined.
I just love all the pictures of nice hair, and want my hair to be long and healthy. And I love all the advice you get here. It's great.

To answer your questions:
A bit :)

Not much, as my hair is only shoulder length now, so I can't do much with it.

I don't think I care about my hair too much, I just think about my hair too much, and I'm too impatient for it to grow.
But that makes me take good care of it, so it's all good :)

Agnieszka
October 22nd, 2015, 01:33 PM
I come here once or twice a day. I like reading this forum even if I don't have long hair. Got used to people here and like to read their posts. I do take great care of my hair and think about it a lot, much more than regular person I guess.

lapushka
October 22nd, 2015, 02:01 PM
When I just got here, I experimented a lot. There were so many methods, WO, SO, CO, CWC, and now WCC even. ACV rinses, citric acid rinses. It was a lot. Nowadays, I just do my routine (found my perfect one), use the same old products (pretty much) and practice benign neglect.

AutobotsAttack
October 22nd, 2015, 02:01 PM
At one point in time during my hair journey when I was younger I was a bit obsessed. But obsessed with the length mainly. I would over comb and manipulate my hair throughout the day to the point where I was causing breakage and thinning which completely defeated all the hard work I had done to get to that certain length.

In my older years now, I'm not obsessed whatsoever. I just a have a set regimen that I follow relentlessly. I do however practice benign neglect like some ladies here. Simply because I don't want to trim or do anything of the such, because I work very hard for my length. Now I do have split ends and my hair is naturally fine, but it doesn't look bad at all, it's very soft and bouncy and I'm very gentle with it, it holds curls well, I don't put heat on it, and I'm thankful for the hair I have worked hard for, and I do sleep with a satin cap every night. When I leave my hair alone it tends to sort itself out every time.

For shampooing and conditioning it takes me about five mins.

For deep conditioning I always deep condition either for a full 12 hours or completely overnight.

I bun a lot to protect my ends so I rarely have my hands in my head or fiddling with it.

It takes me about 1-2 mins to detangle my hair because I leave a bit of conditioner in hair after I get out of the shower. After that I apply leave ins and then seal with my oils.

My scalp massages last ten mins tops.Then I bun my hair or braid It back, cover with my satin bonnet and hit the hay.

I shampoo with diluted shampoo once a week, deep condition every two days, and cowashing on every other day I'm not deep conditioning or shampooing. But I do cowashing following shampooing and deep conditioning as well.

I'm highly protein sensitive because I get enough protein in my diet already. My growth rate is one inch a month and I eat healthy and exercise and occasionally indulge in sweets here or there.

As far being here I get on TLHC every afternoon and talk and contribute and converse with the ladies and gents here for hours, it doesn't really intrude on my life, it's more of a hobby I have when I get home and unwind. Everyone here is nice and smart and educated and funny and kind spirited :)

So no I'm not really obsessed, I just have developed a structured regimen and I and fully committed to sticking to it and making sure I meet my hair goals.

Nadine <3
October 22nd, 2015, 02:14 PM
I used to be. When I first joined I visited several times a day, did hair experiments a lot and was just generally always fussing with it or thinking about it.

Now I've learned a few buns and a few braids and I have very little desire to learn more. I have products I like and work well and that's what I wash with. My hair likes olive oil best so I just use that... I used to stop at the health store frequently so I could get small bottles of different oils to try...now I've realized that most oils pretty much do the same thing for my hair and I just get peanut butter from the health store.

I think when you first join you get a sense of information overload and a lot of people go nuts trying to find the perfect routine and then settle down after awhile.

ShawnS
October 22nd, 2015, 02:29 PM
It is hair, but not just hair I since I feel like it makes me me and it's something unique about me that sets me apart. I wouldn't say I am obsessed, I have a routine and mostly stick to that and don't spend any more time on my hair than any of my female friends, maybe less since I don't/can't do anything fancy. If I don't wash then maybe 5 minutes in the morning combing it out etc. and the same at night. More if I wash or oil that day. I don't spend a ton of time styling it or anything since I just wear it down, in a pony, or in a bun and none of those take time. I fiddle with it during class when I'm bored but I am not constantly thinking about it etc.

Fericera
October 22nd, 2015, 02:34 PM
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. There will be times where I practice benign neglect and don't fuss with my hair much. I tend to be more active on the forums when I'm getting close to milestones. Recently I just hit BSL, and am excited for December so I can officially "call it" and take pictures. I'm also approaching the end of my 2015 no trim challenge which is fun, so I've been hanging around more.

In everyday life I probably do think about hair more than other people. If I go to a store I automatically head toward the hair accessories, and I rarely leave Ross without some fancy deep conditioner that was discounted. I love watching hair tutorials on Youtube, and have a Pinterest album with 900+ inspirational hair photos that is constantly being added to.

I don't think I'm vain or obsessed in a bad way though. Hair is my main beauty indulgence. I put on mascara and lipstick maybe once a week, and that constitutes makeup for me. Fashion is a headache and my fashion sense boils down to clean, neat, and mostly black to facilitate outfit matching. I think it's nice to take care of oneself, and my hair is the regimen I most enjoy.

As for other people, enjoy the boards! It's fun to learn and as long as it isn't interfering with the rest of your life, obsess on! Hair is cool, and you will be super popular among your friends if you learn how to do hairstyles and mix up treatments according to hair science.

Rapunzel_to_be
October 22nd, 2015, 03:12 PM
Omg I was exactly the same, when I first joined LHC I practically "lived" here, I learned so much and I tried out many different things, but I did notice that me spending so much time here did make me a little too obsessed with my hair, especially the length and how fast it was growing/not growing, so I actually had to force myself to stop and also reduce my time here :( So now I stop by once in a while and Im not obsessing anymore :) I love this forum though and I truly appreciate all the help and support I've gotten from everyone <3

Ashflower89
October 22nd, 2015, 03:25 PM
I was pretty obsessive the first few months that I found LHC, and I'm going through another lurking phase right now, but it does wear off.

Right now I'm just obsessed with getting past collarbone length, because that's where I always end up chopping. I don't actually pamper that much, just occasional benign neglect and coconut oil to tame frizzies. Just being so impatient right now because collarbone itself is still 2-3" away.

I dont spend much time on my hair outside the shower. I always go to bed with it wet from working 3rd shift and avoiding blowdrying, and just brush it out when I wake up and put it up before work the next night.

sweetaj
October 22nd, 2015, 03:28 PM
I don't spend a lot of time on my hair in the morning (30-40 total morning routine), but I am obsessed with growing it out and trying new products. I am trying to focus more now on my curl than my length, so hopefully I am past the awkward length that makes me want to cut it by the time I get my wave perfected! My goal is to have beautiful hair that I don't have to obsess about.

teal
October 22nd, 2015, 03:31 PM
I'm not really obsessed. I've gone through stages where my routine has been more involved, but that's about it. I've always been a pragmatic type and this long-hair journey started in earnest after I had kids, so I never had endless (or even uninterrupted) time to devote to it anyway. As with most new things, the infatuation fades or goes in cycles.

It's ok to be obsessed and to try lots of things, but don't forget to try just one thing at a time and space out the timings, otherwise you won't really have a good idea for how well a thing might work for you.

Zesty
October 22nd, 2015, 04:14 PM
I go through cycles, but mostly I'm... casually obsessed? I browse Etsy for hair stuff or watch YouTube hair tutorials if I'm bored, and I go through waves of checking the LHC (too) many times a day. But as far as the actual time I spend on my hair, it's pretty minimal. I finger comb and put it up in the morning and it comes down in the evening before I put it in a silk bonnet for bed. Yeah, I think about it fairly frequently, I baby it far more than the average woman, and I sporadically keep a hair journal, but I don't FEEL obsessed. It's just a hobby that I think about a lot, kind of the way husband thinks about mechanical keyboards very frequently.

MotherofJames
October 22nd, 2015, 06:37 PM
You sound exactly like me !! I think it's okay to become obsessed with haircare... Because lots of us are trying to undo years of damage and bad advice which got our hair to where it is now ( well, at least mine is) which is a damaged, thin mess. I long for long, strong, healthy hair . If only I knew what I do now, back then! So yes, I've become obsessed too and cringe at the years I abused my hair , it could have been been so beautiful by now and my confidence level would be so much more . I have spots of baldness because of bad salon trips .. So now, I've become obsessed too !! We are not in this alone :) it's just like fitness models and aspiring athletes . Become obsessed to get what you want out of life ! 💜💜💜😊

Amapola
October 22nd, 2015, 06:55 PM
This is not an obsession for me, but it is a hobby. I really enjoy collecting beautiful hair toys that are actually works of art; my hair feels "long" to me now, so I enjoy washing it twice a week. I always budget the money I'll need for my conditioner which is my favorite and one that makes my hair feel great. My hair care takes very little time. Less than 5 minutes in the morning to put it up, less than 5 minutes at night to take it down and put it on top of my head for bed.

Most of the time I just work, so having this hobby is very relaxing and enjoyable. It's a hobby that requires great patience but very little time. I like the people on the forum and enjoy posting here.

Do I think about my hair too much? No. I think about it just the right amount of time. :)

ohdokey
October 22nd, 2015, 07:02 PM
Thinking about hair health and finding growing tips and trying new routines have actually been a nice escape for me. Looking back, the times I have been on here more or thinking about hair-related topics have always been in the midst of a difficult life or personal situation, so the hair thing was a therapeutic hobby and the boards here were always friendly and interesting. At other times, I have still tried to care for my hair, but it definitely comes and goes in terms of how often I would think about it or want to devote time to it vs. benign neglect. I think there are seasons for everything, so I do not worry about it too much bc if I am thinking of it more now, soon it will move to the back of my mind and my hair can just keep quietly growing whether or not I am thinking of it. Definitely in a stage of thinking about it, ha, ha, as indicated by not just lurking on LHC but also posting this week.

Breezy
October 22nd, 2015, 07:19 PM
I think about it way too much, mainly cuz I'm impatient about waiting for it to grow.

curlylocks85
October 22nd, 2015, 07:45 PM

I do not think I am obsessed, I believe I am very passionate. I am genuinely happy tending to my hair.

I do not know the amount of time, but I do spend time on it everyday.

I do not believe I care about my hair too much. I care about my as much as I like.

I do not think of hair as, "just hair." My hair is as important to me as anything else on or inside my body.

Groovy Granny
October 22nd, 2015, 10:26 PM
Since I discovered this website, I come here every day. I love reading all the helpful advice and seeing the beautiful pictures.

But, there is a downside: my hair has become an obsession. I'm not putting the blame on LHC, don't get me wrong. But I want to know if this new 'obsession' is normal.

So, a few questions:

I don't feel I am obsessed; initially it took a lot of my attention in learning hair care/styling/finding the right toys and tools, but now my care is routine.

I spend very little time on my hair actually...especially compared to when it was chin length.
Aside from the 2 days a week when I S&C/dry it, it takes only a matter of minutes to detangle and style it.

No...it has become a hobby that I thoroughly enjoy...seeing I have no outside activities.
It is a joy to try new styles while rotating hair toys I love and matching them with Etsy earring creations to rock my look.
I find it boosts my spirit and confidence; something we need at any age, but especially being older with health issues!

hanne jensen
October 23rd, 2015, 01:19 AM
When I first started my hair journey I was very obsessed with my hair and its' growth rate. It didn't grow very much. In 2013 I had to get a major chop due to damage. I chopped from waist to shoulder. I was so disgusted by my shorter hair that I just put it up and ignored it. I never looked at it in the mirror or measured. I just washed, detangled and put it up. A year later after a healthy trim I was almost BSL. I am now at the beginning of waist. For me completely ignoring my hair works best.

dogzdinner
October 23rd, 2015, 05:04 AM
I think Im mildly obsessed. I like coming on the forum and seeing what interesting things people are doing with their hair and Im still looking for that perfect hair care regime for myself. I might get more interested when I realiese my hair might be long enough for a bunch of new styles too!
I dont spend alot of time on my hair. Frankly if I have to wash it more then once a week or brush it more then twice a day then it sounds too time consuming to me. Generally it goes up in a bun for the day and in twin braids for night and thats it.
Caring for your hair is different to being obsessed with it though. Long hair is fairly easy to look after well and besides which it isnt just 'hair'. It is part of your personality and can give you confidence. I love mine...its like a security blanket on my head!!!LOL

Horrorpops
October 23rd, 2015, 05:58 AM
I really enjoy this site and coming on here to see everyones pics and talk hair for a bit! Having a background in psychology, honestly I would be very hesitant to call my own (or most peoples) interest in hair without good reason.. :o

Maybe 10mins to comb, BBB and braid before sleep? Probably 20mins once a week for washing etc.

- Do you think you care about your hair too much?
No way :p I think I'd have to be inconvenienced by my hair routine to say I care too much!

restless
October 23rd, 2015, 10:25 AM
How 'obsessed' are you?

IŽll admit I got pretty obsessed when I first found this place and I was super excited to try out all the different stuff I learnt about. However, with time I found a routine that works for me and as my hair got longer and healthier, I kinda stopped obsessing. I still read this forum pretty much every day, but its not so much about learning hair care anymore. I just think its a nice place to be and it provides a small break for the everyday life.

How much time do you spend on your hair every day?

Washing it takes maybe 5 minutes. Sometimes oiling it another 30 seconds. Putting it up in a bun 30 seconds. Really, my routine is rather simple :)

Do you think you care about your hair too much?

Maybe Im in denial, but... no :p

iYaap
October 23rd, 2015, 11:25 AM
How 'obsessed' are you?

Pretty obsessed

How much time do you spend on your hair every day?

Not so much if you don't count playing with it.

Not at all, and LHC makes me more passionate.

P.S. There is tons of long hair in heaven, as someone else pointed out.

Chocowalnut
October 23rd, 2015, 11:32 AM
I'm not really obsessed. I do think about ita lot and always want to spend money on hair toys creams and such. But I think part of it is I'm not happy with my hair yet and when it gets to a longer length and style I like I won't think about it so much.

Vallena
October 23rd, 2015, 12:15 PM
I'm not really obsessed, I view it as a hobby the same way some people do makeup or nail art. I don't spend very much time on my hair each day, though I spend a decent amount of time around here. I feel like I care for my hair an amount that is appropriate for wanting to grow it out.

Robi-Bird
October 23rd, 2015, 01:38 PM

Not obsessed. I don't count my sheds, or bother with hair-growing tricks, etc. It's pretty and entertaining, that's it.

- How much time do you spend on your hair every day? It gets brushed and put up. so a few minutes once or twice a day unless I'm trying to learn a new bun.

- Do you think you care about your hair too much?

I don't dread trims so I don't think I'm especially emotionally involved with my hair. That said I have a syndrome that can trigger male pattern baldness so I pay enough attention to spot a change in thickness if it ever happens.

Sarahm
October 23rd, 2015, 03:28 PM
I think being a bit obsessed, especially with all the information and treatments and hair toys and methods of oiling, washing, conditioning, moisturizing, etc etc ETC... Well, I think it's normal to some extent :P I like coming to LHC throughout the day if I need a break from homework or want to check in on a thread I'm having with some of the people I get along with. Sometimes I go weeks without logging on. It all depends really!

So to summarize: I don't think I'm that obsessed. I spend maybe half an hour every day for combing and updos. I mostly just put it up and forget it, unless it's to rebun throughout the day. If anything, I undercare for my hair (let it go days without combing then having to deal with dreads, d'oh!).

It may be 'just' hair to some, but to me taking care of my hair is very much an act of self care, which is an important part of keeping myself mentally healthy. It's so much nicer to take care of myself than it is to harm myself and that, to me, makes it a bit more than just hair.

I hope you enjoy your adventures growing and finding new friends here on lhc! :flowers:

Thank you! :o

Sarahm
October 23rd, 2015, 03:45 PM
Thank you all for replying, your answers are very reassuring. I guess my initial 'obsession' will pass over time.

So for now I think I'm just going to enjoy LHC as much as I can. All of your pictures, recipes and advise is really inspiring!
And as I'm from Belgium, visiting this forum and posting comments might help me improve my English as well!

:toast:

Sarahm
October 23rd, 2015, 03:47 PM
* Advice are

Oops, mistake

PalomaSincera
October 23rd, 2015, 03:55 PM
I don't spend a lot of time on my hair every day, but i do spend a lot of time thinking about it.

I definitely have an obsession for my hair to grow because it was long and i cut it for no good reason. It makes me sad that i have to wait.

PalomaSincera
October 23rd, 2015, 03:56 PM
I was on here day and night when I first found this page. Now I only spend about an hour a week on here. The obsession with reading about hair is gone, but the obsession to grow, grow, grow remains as strong as ever.

astrid92
October 29th, 2015, 04:29 PM

So, a few questions:

I think I am a little obsessed with my hair seeing as I have been trying to grow my hair from chin length to roughly classic length for some time now (my hair is half way between waist and hip). I probably spend up to 5 minutes a day tending to my hair. I don't care of my hair to much, it is usually thrown up in a bun, pony tail, or braid and half of the time I don't even bother combing or brushing it.

luvlonghair75
October 29th, 2015, 07:02 PM
I'm not as obsessed as I used to be! If anything, I'm more aware of hair health and have also gotten a tonne of information off of this website alone! Thanks! :D My daughter has even caught on and has now become more aware of the health of her hair. Seeing as she has a history of thyroid issues in her young life, monitoring her hair health is a very good thing and we have noticed it go through some pretty dramatic changes over the years.
Seeing as my hair is fine and thin, it only takes a few minutes to get it all brushed up and put in either a claw clip or braid for the day. Loose braid at night. I don't scalp massage as much as I'd like and need to make that a better priority. I do think about my hair fairly often and just hope it's growing as fast as I'm wishing it will! lol I've already reached my waist length goal before Christmas, so that's a good sign! :)

Deborah
October 29th, 2015, 08:47 PM
I'm not at all. I have always had long hair; maybe that's why it just seems ordinary and normal to me.

Soulina
October 30th, 2015, 01:06 AM
Very obsessed. But it has nothing to do with LHC, I have been obsessed about my hair since childhood. It started after my mother cut her hair really short ( I was 4) without telling me. I got so upset, refused to talk to her for 2 weeks (that is long time for a 4 year old). I also want those closest to me not to cut their hair. (I know this is selfish, but I feel horrible if they dramatically cut their hair)

5min

Yes, definitely. I do not even want to think what would I do if my hair was cut short.

Shia
October 30th, 2015, 01:34 AM
How 'obsessed' are you?
Not too much, but my friends know it's an interest of mine, and often send me hairstyles to try out. My husband points out nice hair when we are out an about :) I don't get too much free time to post on LHC, but I check in a couple of times a week.

How much time do you spend on your hair?
About five minutes styling each day, but a fair amount more on wash day, or if I feel like trying out something fancy.

Probably. But then, I'm fairly self conscious anyway, and how my hair looks is part of that. I know I probably shouldn't care so much, but I can't help it!

Long_hair_bear
October 31st, 2015, 07:18 AM
Depends on the day..... on hair washing day, I spend a few hours with my hair stewing in conditioner. I love my hair; its my vanity. Obsessed? maybe abit ;)

Arctic
October 31st, 2015, 08:46 AM
I am more obssessed with the forum than my hair - to a point where I need to use browser add-ons to keep me away :p For this reason I am known to take long hiatuses (what is the plural for hiatus?) from the forum. As a new member I was also very obssessed with my hair, but that has thankfully waned. I assume I think more of my hair than an avarage Jane, though.