View Full Version : Coca cola rinse

lapushka
October 21st, 2015, 12:39 PM
WTH?!

It apparently exists:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a5wCEEagmw

parkmikii
October 21st, 2015, 12:43 PM
I think coca cola disolves calcium if I knew well and it's used in washing car pieces as well. I wouldn't let that touch my hair nor I'd drink it shudder:

Nique1202
October 21st, 2015, 12:47 PM
I assumed it would be for shine or something, because of the acid content of soda, but no, just waves for some reason. I would GUESS that it would be something about the sugar content making the hair wavier, the way salt does. I mean, we use sugar water as homemade hairspray around here anyway. If the hair gets scrunched or plopped and the sugar dries, it could give it a longer-lived wave than straight, limp hair would normally achieve.

Still, though, that sounds way too difficult and messy. I don't think I'd ever be that desperate for wave.

Nique1202
October 21st, 2015, 12:49 PM
I think coca cola disolves calcium if I knew well and it's used in washing car pieces as well. I wouldn't let that touch my hair nor I'd drink it shudder:

Your stomach acid is stronger than any cola on the market, and hair does prefer acid to basic conditions. I wouldn't worry about that, personally. I'd be more concerned with any natural yeasts and bacteria feasting on the sugar, such that SD and dandruff would probably flare up hugely. Also, as in the video, it goes everywhere on dry hair (which tends to repel water a little bit at first) and the sugar would get VERY sticky on your skin so you'd have to shower and undo most of any benefit in the end.

meteor
October 21st, 2015, 12:55 PM
I've definitely heard of it before.
And beautykove did a review on it recently here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJQOYIGpZLk

I have no idea if it works, but I bet the humectant properties of sugar and the relatively low pH value have something to do with this. ;)

And what about carbonation? I keep hearing that carbonated water, club soda are good for cleansing (especially for removing mineral build-up) and even anti-frizz action, but I've never looked into the specific chemical reactions behind it and the effect on hair... Does anybody know or have any good links to support/debunk this? :flower:

meteor
October 21st, 2015, 01:06 PM
I assumed it would be for shine or something, because of the acid content of soda, but no, just waves for some reason. I would GUESS that it would be something about the sugar content making the hair wavier, the way salt does. I mean, we use sugar water as homemade hairspray around here anyway. If the hair gets scrunched or plopped and the sugar dries, it could give it a longer-lived wave than straight, limp hair would normally achieve.

Still, though, that sounds way too difficult and messy. I don't think I'd ever be that desperate for wave.

^ Oh yes, great point! :agree: I think from that perspective, sugary water or coconut water or honey water rinses have something in common there, in terms of hold. The concentration of sugar, the pH and the mineral content of the water are likely to be the important factors there.

I would also worry about potentially staining light-colored hair temporarily with colorants in Coca Cola...

MsPharaohMoan
October 21st, 2015, 01:52 PM
Yes, I saw this on beautyklove's channel and shuddered. Noooo thank you!

edit: after watching, it appears her sister washed the cola out of her hair with water and shampoo... Not sure if this would get rid of all effects.

luxurioushair
October 21st, 2015, 02:43 PM
I feel like some people will dump anything whatsoever into their hair, and then tell everybody it's the best thing evar for hair growth!

From beer to sulphur oil, there is nothing they won't try!

kelseyxface
October 21st, 2015, 07:43 PM
Saw this floating around tumblr and facebook, was wondering what you guys thought of it. Good to see some explanation behind it - but for me personally I wouldn't. As already stated above, so much sugar and other nasties in soda that I wouldn't want near my hair! so many other MUCH better food grade items you can put in your hair to give it body, shine, and waves. :bounce:

furnival
October 22nd, 2015, 02:41 AM
I feel like some people will dump anything whatsoever into their hair, and then tell everybody it's the best thing evar for hair growth!
Aye, that's about right... ;)

lapushka
October 22nd, 2015, 06:06 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't either. I just happened to stumble upon it on YT (showed up at the end of a video), and I thought... I need to post this here. I wouldn't in a million years... Sparkling water? Maaaybe... but then it had to have a good effect on my hair for me to pour a cold bottle of water on my noggin'.

Fericera
October 22nd, 2015, 11:50 AM
Sounds... sticky. I guess it could technically do something, but I think you could get all the same effects from sugar, or maybe ACV? I'm not sure whether coke is acidic or not.

Wavelength
October 22nd, 2015, 12:52 PM
No thanks. If they want a humectant, I'd rather go with honey than soda. And if they want acid, there's vinegar rinses.

Completely agree!

Nadine <3
October 22nd, 2015, 01:03 PM
I've seen this floating around and every time I see it, it freaks me out lol I can't stand coke...drinking it? Hurk. Smelling it? Hurk. Dumping it on my head? Not in a trillion years. Sticky and smelly and probably cold.

Honey for a humectant and lemon juice for something acidic.

sarahthegemini
October 22nd, 2015, 04:56 PM
Ugh, no way. I'm not going to dump anything weird on my hair thanks! Beer, coke, vinegar, eggs etc. It's just not for me. I'd rather just use a good conditioner that ticks all the boxes (which can be hard to find )

Horrorpops
October 23rd, 2015, 06:11 AM
ewwwwww so sticky!! And here in Aus I would be worried about flies and insects wanting to taste some of your delicious coke hair shudder: :D

Fericera
October 23rd, 2015, 08:19 AM
ewwwwww so sticky!! And here in Aus I would be worried about flies and insects wanting to taste some of your delicious coke hair shudder: :D

Yuck! That does make me think though, having sweet smelling hair might be nice at a butterfly pavilion or something. I remember at the one I went to the guides said the butterflies were attracted by bright colors and sweet smells and would land on you. So I suppose maybe that's the one instance I would consider this. Although I'd still probably just use use and sweet smelling conditioner instead. :ponder:

Horrorpops
October 23rd, 2015, 10:32 AM
Yuck! That does make me think though, having sweet smelling hair might be nice at a butterfly pavilion or something. I remember at the one I went to the guides said the butterflies were attracted by bright colors and sweet smells and would land on you. So I suppose maybe that's the one instance I would consider this. Although I'd still probably just use use and sweet smelling conditioner instead. :ponder:

Oooh actually I agree.... to attract butterflies would be ok :p

browniecurls01
October 23rd, 2015, 04:07 PM
Wouldn't it make your hair sticky??

cathair
October 23rd, 2015, 07:00 PM
Just say no kids :D

juniperjetcat
November 3rd, 2015, 10:02 AM
I have heard some crazy hair things, but this has to be the stickiest! Imagine doing it in summer and having all the bees around!

meteor
November 3rd, 2015, 10:48 AM
I love adding honey or syrup, glycerin to my conditioners and often do honey rinses or HALO rinses, SMTs... but I've never had a problem with bees or stickiness. :hmm:
Has anybody experienced this? :)

Rushli
November 3rd, 2015, 06:41 PM
Just say no kids :D

My 4yo was sitting next to me when I watched this and as he looked away from the TV to my lap top, he said. "WHAT is she doing!" I laughed and said, "pouring pop on her hair." He responded with, "we only put soap in our hair." (haha, he missed out on my concoctions since I always do them after he is asleep.)

Freija
November 3rd, 2015, 07:06 PM
Oooh actually I agree.... to attract butterflies would be ok :p

Yes,but what if the butterflies got stuck to it...? shudder:

meteor
November 4th, 2015, 11:50 AM
Yes,but what if the butterflies got stuck to it...? shudder:

:spitting: Nice hairtoy accessory then! :lol:

(Seriously though, I haven't yet seen any reports of incidents with bees or any other insects on the huge Honey Lightening thread or the SMT thread... ;) )
That said, I wouldn't be interested in trying coca cola, for sure. :lol:

Night_Kitten
November 5th, 2015, 02:06 PM
Nice hairtoy accessory then!
LOL!!! :joy:

(Seriously though, I haven't yet seen any reports of incidents with bees or any other insects on the huge Honey Lightening thread or the SMT thread... ;) )

Maybe because they stay indoors while the honey or SMT is in their hair? And also usually the hair is wrapped in some plastic bag for added effect of the treatment, so not really exposed... I'm not sure what would happen if someone actually let the honey or SMT dry in their hair and then go outside during the summer... Someone who researches insects might find that a good method to catch new species maybe :p
Or maybe it does happen but people just don't report it? :run:

Rushli
November 5th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Maybe because they stay indoors while the honey or SMT is in their hair? And also usually the hair is wrapped in some plastic bag for added effect of the treatment, so not really exposed... I'm not sure what would happen if someone actually let the honey or SMT dry in their hair and then go outside during the summer... Someone who researches insects might find that a good method to catch new species maybe :p
Or maybe it does happen but people just don't report it? :run:

I put a tsp of honey in my AVC rinse. I dont wash it out and have never attracted any extra bees or butterflies.

jarlofthebogfey
November 5th, 2015, 08:05 PM
I'll try it. :lol:

jarlofthebogfey
November 8th, 2015, 08:06 PM
Do you think I should go with Mexico coke because it's real sugar, or do you think the corn syrup is supposed to be part of "the magic"???

Jennah
November 8th, 2015, 09:50 PM
Iīm going to put whipped cream on my hair. Itīll probably give lots of volume (more than the coke) like a mousse! :shrug:

jarlofthebogfey
November 8th, 2015, 09:52 PM
Iīm going to put whipped cream on my hair. Itīll probably give lots of volume (more than the coke) like a mousse! :shrug:

I cannot tell if you're joking... because I have totally tried whipping cream on my hair before. :rollin:

luvlonghair75
November 9th, 2015, 08:04 AM
I saw on a Woman's World magazine cover, "Coca-Cola Cures! Sparkling windows, delicious food, shiny hair!" So I bought it and there are apparently 20 ways to use coke. I'm still skeptic and wonder about dumping it on one's hair...

Jennah
November 9th, 2015, 09:06 AM
I saw on a Woman's World magazine cover, "Coca-Cola Cures! Sparkling windows, delicious food, shiny hair!" So I bought it and there are apparently 20 ways to use coke. I'm still skeptic and wonder about dumping it on one's hair...

Did it mention pesticide also? (video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGIWja74IHk)) :D

meteor
November 9th, 2015, 09:14 AM

:spitting: :lol:

Did it mention pesticide also? (video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGIWja74IHk)) :D

:lol: Seems like, with the drop in sugary drinks consumption, the Coca-Cola Company is moving into a different market - all-purpose detergents and cleaning materials! :lol:

jarlofthebogfey
November 9th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Oh, nice. :p I come and read this on the day that I'm actually going to be able to get some. :laugh:

We'll see what I come home with...

I was actually thinking about this last night, and musing that I would much prefer it was bibicaffe. But then... bibicaffe is for drinking, and coke... well... it's a pesticide apparently. :pins:

daniibee
November 10th, 2015, 01:46 AM
People seriously do this?? wow!!

jarlofthebogfey
November 10th, 2015, 06:46 PM
My hair did NOT disintegrate.
My hair did NOT end up in a sticky clump of sadness that I had to cut off.
Bees did NOT come carry me away.

Humectant properties? No. Not even close to other kitchen humectants. Nope.

Shine? No. I began with average shiny hair, and finished with average shiny hair.

Soft? YES! Totally leaves the hair soft! However I'm inclined to associate that with what was stated upthread about pH, carbonation, etc. Therefore I'm also inclined to agree with the assumption upthread that you could get the same result from a seltzer/tonic/club soda.

Was it a negative experience? No. Not at all.

Would I recommend it to someone who had dry hair? No.
Dull hair? No.
Coarse hair? No.

Honestly I was just nonplussed. You know how when you try something for the first time, it may be a fail for you, but you often come away with the thoughts of "but I do think it would work nicely if I just (fill in the blank) next time" you know what I mean? Coke left me unmoved. I'm not inspired to try it as the water base for henna, or anything. I didn't come away thinking "oh, but maybe as a..." NO. Not at all.

Totally meh.

I left it on dry hair, for ten minutes, and co-washed it out. No shampoo, but it definitely washed out, and was residue-free.

I'm lacking the obligatory hair selfie, but you're not missing much. :laugh:

jarlofthebogfey
November 11th, 2015, 12:57 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19779&d=1447271617

Sorry! iphone + rainy day, but there it is. :)

meteor
November 11th, 2015, 01:19 PM
^ Oo thanks so much for that, jarlofthebogfey! :D That was such a great review!
Since you mention that it did make your hair softer, how was the hair in terms of detangling? Did it have any effect on that? :)

jarlofthebogfey
November 11th, 2015, 01:38 PM
^ Oo thanks so much for that, jarlofthebogfey! :D That was such a great review!
Since you mention that it did make your hair softer, how was the hair in terms of detangling? Did it have any effect on that? :)

For me: not at all. Tangles were average. :)

meteor
November 11th, 2015, 02:02 PM
^ Thanks a lot again, jarlofthebogfey! That's great to know! :D

lapushka
November 11th, 2015, 03:50 PM
Yes! Thank you for the review, and for trying. I didn't expect anyone to try it, TBH! :) :o

jarlofthebogfey
November 11th, 2015, 05:46 PM
Yes! Thank you for the review, and for trying. I didn't expect anyone to try it, TBH! :) :o

I have really great guinea pig hair, so I'm up for most things. ;) As far as food products go... there isn't much I'm not game for smearing on my hair at least once! :laugh: