PDA

View Full Version : Post traumatic hair cut support thread

kitcatsmeow
October 20th, 2015, 05:13 PM
We have all been there or at least read the vent threads. We go in for a dusting and end up getting chopped! I thought we could use a thread to vent and get support and even our quest to regrow the length we lost.

Two days ago I went in for a dusting and left with at least an inch less hair 😥 the girl was new I could tell but even students should be able to handle a dusting. I could tell just by the time she took it was too much. Then the manager came over to check it and lectured me about coming in for keratin treatments or getting layers in my hair. She was truly a bitch and didn't ask me anything about my hair history or goals. The girl that cut it was nice enough even though she took too much off, but the manager was such a bitch to me.

Anyway I came home extremely upset over losing at least an inch maybe more of hair after growing for 7 months. After a mini meltdown I decided to come up with a game plan to grow it back as fast as possible. Normally I just stick to my care routine, healthy diet, put it up and forget it, but I'm on a mission.

Recently I started taking biosil and I noticed a difference in my skin, nails and hair which see fuller, stronger and the strands actually feel thicker. I also bought another bottle of my hair, skin and nails which main ingredients are MSM, copper and zinc.
So here is my plan...

-I'm doing the inversion method every month using castor oil mixed with rosemary hair oil and a little emu and EOs.
-I'm trying biotin or upping it rather. Currently I take 600mcg I'm upping it to 2500 for a week and as long as I don't have any breakouts I'll up it to 5000 mcg
-I added vitamin E as well
I also drink bamboo tea daily.

Hopefully I can get some serious growth in a month!

Frankenstein
October 20th, 2015, 05:22 PM
I'm sorry this happened to you :( Why did the manager lecture you about keratin treatments and layers?? :confused:

kitcatsmeow
October 20th, 2015, 05:47 PM
I don't know I guess because she couldn't understand why I would want my hair all one length? I told her I was growing it out and I assumed she wanted me to come in for treatments to spend more money. And I insisted on a dry cut because really I just wanted it dusted which should have realistically taken 3 minutes and she had a snarky remark about that. Meanwhile her hair looked pretty bad and she had hideous brassy highlights.

LongCurlyTress
October 20th, 2015, 05:52 PM
Hi Hon,
Please don't be too upset about this. We have all been devastated by a stylist cutting too much or a wicked layering or thinning chop into our hair thinking they know what is best for us. Glad you didn't get layers or bangs!! Anyways, your inch will grow back in about two quick months so the time will fly and your hair will be back to its original length. Maybe learn how to trim your hair yourself? Many of us on LHC use Faye's Trimming Method, dusting, benign neglect or the Creaclip. There are plenty of self hair-cutting youtube videos out there and most work great and get the job done. Best of luck and try not to let this get you down. I do like your growing gameplan! Please report in and comment how it is working for you. :flowers:

hennalonghair
October 20th, 2015, 06:05 PM
Hi Hon,
Please don't be too upset about this. We have all been devastated by a stylist cutting too much or a wicked layering or thinning chop into our hair thinking they know what is best for us. Glad you didn't get layers or bangs!! Anyways, your inch will grow back in about two quick months so the time will fly and your hair will be back to its original length. Maybe learn how to trim your hair yourself? Many of us on LHC use Faye's Trimming Method, dusting, benign neglect or the Creaclip. There are plenty of self hair-cutting youtube videos out there and most work great and get the job done. Best of luck and try not to let this get you down. I do like your growing gameplan! Please report in and comment how it is working for you. :flowers:
Great advice. Yes we've all been there but your plan of action is an excellent one. The sulphur in MSM and biosil will definitely help. Once inch will grow back in no time AND you will be more encouraged than ever to get it back how you like it.

luxurioushair
October 20th, 2015, 06:25 PM
No worries you will get it back in a month, I'm glad they didn't chop more than that! Some of them will take off six inches because they think they know better!

irodaryne
October 20th, 2015, 08:17 PM
Definitely agreeing with what others are saying. It's terrible that too much was taken off, but if there was ever a right amount of "too much" an inch would be it. At least it wasn't any more than that, so it won't take nearly so long to get that length back as say, cutting off five inches.

Christine_O
October 20th, 2015, 08:50 PM
Sorry about the lecture, and the extra length! I'm all for getting this thread up and running too, so thanks for that! In a few months I plan on having my first trim since starting to grow it out in August, and I'm already sweating it. I'm almost at mini bun length and want to wear a Jeter fork for Christmas.

Isilme
October 21st, 2015, 01:44 AM
An inch? You will get it back sooner than you notice it missing! Don't be sad, I'm sure the ends feel very fresh right now. Next time, say specific measurements, like half an inch, two inches and bring a ruler and show the stylist on your hair. Or as other people have said, trim your own hair. I have done that for many years, I actually thought about going to a real stylist but as a student money is tight and trimming my own hair is free. A tip though, use real hair scissors to make a clean cut because dull scissors breed damage.
I can understand you are upset though, when I was a child I always told them to cut off what was damaged and ended up with much shorter hair than I wanted to, say from BSL+ to APL. Every single time. This is why I advise you to use clear measurements.

hanne jensen
October 21st, 2015, 08:09 AM
I have Hubby dust or trim my hair. He uses a CreaClip and says it's the best thing he's ever bought for my hair. I haven't been to a salon in ages.

Kaelbu
October 21st, 2015, 08:55 AM
Back in March, I had my lovely, well-meaning, wonderful sister-in-law trim my waist length hair. I wanted some of the damage off (still working on trimming to all virgin hair), but I specified not much. I wanted to keep it very close to the goal I'd just made, but the ends were getting straw-like even with S&D. I knew it was time.

She asked if an inch was enough, and I said that was fine. I was picturing about an inch above waist. When I looked at it, it was just brushing BSL, shorter than when I joined LHC (I was about to pass the bottom line of my bra strap in June 2014).

I thanked her and tried to hide my disappointment, focusing my praise on how much healthier my ends felt. I knew somehow my unhappiness did translate when my dad (we were at my parents' house when she trimmed it) mentioned my hair was "still long". And my dad never talks about hair.

It feels like it's taken forever for my length to reach waist again. But here I am! Now trusting only myself to trim. I know my loss wasn't as dramatic as other cases, but it was still disappointing.

Sarahm
October 21st, 2015, 08:59 AM
I suggest you look into the microtrimming thread here on LHC. Microtrimming is fairly easy and you won't have to let a hairdresser ruin your hair again.

lapushka
October 21st, 2015, 10:17 AM
Why didn't you use Feye's method, I wonder? You've been on LHC such a long time now, so why not try it, at least once? You can't ruin it worse than she did.

meteor
October 21st, 2015, 01:37 PM
Sorry about that experience, kitcatsmeow! :grouphug:

But kudos :thumbsup: for standing your ground when the manager started pushing keratin straightening and layers in her response to your legitimate complaint.
I think going to a new salon can be a bit difficult in that hairdressers over time get used to a specific client base, so they sometimes push their popular treatments du jour (BKTs, ombres, for example) and specific products under their contracts even on people with very different individual goals (say, extreme length or maintaining natural texture or growing out greys, etc). It's just really easily to run into somebody who doesn't listen to your goals very well. That's why finding a great hairdresser is like finding a gem, and self-trims are super-helpful! ;)

I agree with others, I think self-trims could be a great option for you, especially since you are educated in hairdressing. Once you get good quality scissors, sky is the limit! :D

eshta
October 22nd, 2015, 03:25 AM
I agree, definitely try out self trimming. It's not rocket science, all you need are sharp (hairdressing) scissors that you don't use for anything but hair. Seconding the micro trimming, it easy to do especially on longer lengths and hard to mess up. You can start with just a few snips or 1 or 2 mm and gradually cut more if self trimming sounds very daunting. It also very liberating to be able to trim whenever you want, how much YOU want and it saves a lot of money.

Just keep putting it up and you'll have your inch back in no time, here some extra growth :magic: for you.

kitcatsmeow
October 22nd, 2015, 06:02 AM
I have tried trimming myself before and it's never quite right. Something is always a little off and uneven. And I've always gone to get dusting sat salons and have never had this problem, odd since most do. I'm wondering if it was because of the particular salon brand. They specialize in the "volumetrics" hair cut which I believe is what i received. It was on my receipt and normally when I get dustings, they trim it all down not in sections. I did NOT ask for that. I specified 1/4 inch and then physically showed the hairdresser how much I wanted taken off. And still...😥

luxurioushair
October 22nd, 2015, 06:10 AM
Like I said. They think they know better than you, how much hair should be cut off...With a lot of stylists, showing them what you want is meaningless, they'll still do it their way...

kaylenfalse
October 22nd, 2015, 11:45 AM
I haven't had a trim since February. I asked for 4" off, knowing that it would be a full year's growth, because my ends were in bad shape. In the past, I've liked some long layers, otherwise my hair seems to get really poofy and tangled at the ends. So I asked for long layers, and the lady cuts my hair into a thousand layers, with the shortest one at shoulder. I also had been wearing a ponytail at work everyday, so a lot of hair got ripped at ear length. Now my hair is just a frizzy mess, because each individual hair wants to curl up at the end, and the ends are all over the place through the length. Everything below my earlobe looks terrible. This place has made me more self-conscious. While people here are generally well meaning, it's hard when I see a picture of someone's hair that looks fine to me and everyone is going "ew her hair is sooo gross and ratty." :( Crap. My hair looks like that. My ends are in bad shape again, but it's still not really long enough to self-trim and I'm scared to go to a hairdresser. The layers make buns and braids looks messy. It's going to take years to get it all one length.

kitcatsmeow
October 22nd, 2015, 01:06 PM
I haven't had a trim since February. I asked for 4" off, knowing that it would be a full year's growth, because my ends were in bad shape. In the past, I've liked some long layers, otherwise my hair seems to get really poofy and tangled at the ends. So I asked for long layers, and the lady cuts my hair into a thousand layers, with the shortest one at shoulder. I also had been wearing a ponytail at work everyday, so a lot of hair got ripped at ear length. Now my hair is just a frizzy mess, because each individual hair wants to curl up at the end, and the ends are all over the place through the length. Everything below my earlobe looks terrible. This place has made me more self-conscious. While people here are generally well meaning, it's hard when I see a picture of someone's hair that looks fine to me and everyone is going "ew her hair is sooo gross and ratty." :( Crap. My hair looks like that. My ends are in bad shape again, but it's still not really long enough to self-trim and I'm scared to go to a hairdresser. The layers make buns and braids looks messy. It's going to take years to get it all one length.

Wow I feel for you :( I know what you mean about feeling self conscious here. Sometimes I don't want to admit that I color my hair or even wear it down a couple of times a week. But there are plenty of people with waist length healthy hair that color and wear it down all the time. I hate my natural hair color, I don't think it suits me so I'll we continue to color my re growth.

kaylenfalse
October 22nd, 2015, 01:35 PM
Wow I feel for you :( I know what you mean about feeling self conscious here. Sometimes I don't want to admit that I color my hair or even wear it down a couple of times a week. But there are plenty of people with waist length healthy hair that color and wear it down all the time. I hate my natural hair color, I don't think it suits me so I'll we continue to color my re growth.

Thank you for your commiseration. My natural brown is a pretty color, but I have very pale and yellow skin. Somehow the two together makes everyone think I'm ill. I think there are plenty of people here who still wear it down a few times a week, at least according to some polls.

longhairjenny
October 22nd, 2015, 01:38 PM
I have Hubby dust or trim my hair. He uses a CreaClip and says it's the best thing he's ever bought for my hair. I haven't been to a salon in ages.

My husband is the most trusted person I have ever had cut my hair! He actually LISTENS to what I want. I'm almost 40. It's taken me this long to understand that salons are a big money industry. Ever since I was little I hated getting my hair cut. They often didn't listen to me. I was taught to find a photo of a hair cut I liked and bring it in to the Stylist. Well that NEVER works out! I really just wanted to have my own long hair. But where is the money in that??? And... oh no... what would that do to the whole hair extension industry!?

If I had a daughter I could save her so much grief! Some people get a real kick out of going into the salon and trying different things all the time. GREAT! But people should know it's one way to go. Not the only way. I tell my boys this! One likes his hair longer and the other likes it shorter. How great that at a young age they know what makes them happy!

LauraAlaina
October 22nd, 2015, 08:06 PM
^ good lord it is NOT just a money industry. did you ever think that most people don't want long hair and want to maintain short hair? I have to say I'm tired of hearing everyone complain about all hairstylists and how much of a scam we are. I cut long hair. i maintain long hair. that's the majority of my clients.. and I can say I always listen to my clients. Your problem is that you haven't found the right stylist. Don't just shut us all out.

LauraAlaina
October 22nd, 2015, 08:09 PM
^ as for the hair extension industry being a scam because we can't just grow our own hair. some people (like me) literally CAN NOT grow long hair. or perhaps some women want more thickness in their hair than what they are naturally given. That is where extensions come into play. I can not grow hair past BSL. I have tried my entire life. So therefore, I wear extensions.

luxurioushair
October 25th, 2015, 11:32 AM
^ good lord it is NOT just a money industry. did you ever think that most people don't want long hair and want to maintain short hair? I have to say I'm tired of hearing everyone complain about all hairstylists and how much of a scam we are. I cut long hair. i maintain long hair. that's the majority of my clients.. and I can say I always listen to my clients. Your problem is that you haven't found the right stylist. Don't just shut us all out.

To be fair, with most stylists encouraging people to "trim every 6 weeks so their hair will grow"...how can you blame anyone for saying stylists are only out to make money? Nothing's wrong with trying to make money, but ripping people off to do it is the problem. They know very well that trimming every 6 weeks will never make hair get long. So why do they keep saying this? Because it means more money for them.

lapushka
October 25th, 2015, 03:14 PM
To be fair, with most stylists encouraging people to "trim every 6 weeks so their hair will grow"...how can you blame anyone for saying stylists are only out to make money? Nothing's wrong with trying to make money, but ripping people off to do it is the problem. They know very well that trimming every 6 weeks will never make hair get long. So why do they keep saying this? Because it means more money for them.

I think they say this is necessary to "maintain" the style they just put in the hair. It is needed for "the cut" and maintenance. It's not said to try and discourage people from growing hair, but I think some people take it too literally and pull it out of context.

Colochita
October 25th, 2015, 06:16 PM
I understand what luxurioushair is saying.

As someone with afro-textured hair, I don't have a huge variety of stylists available to me - even in my home country where black people are the norm.
At home a lot of stylists cater to chemically straightened black hair and they will tell you that you need to cut every 6-8 weeks, which is when most women (not ones on hair journeys) will go in for a relaxer. Every stylist I went to when my hair was relaxed said this (and trimmed as such) and I never knew better until I started trying to grow my hair on my own.
I'm not bashing any stylists when I say this, this was just my experience.

Christine_O
October 25th, 2015, 06:31 PM
LauraAlaina, I wish I could find someone like you to trim my hair. But so far I haven't, and it's frustrating. I've met a lot of really nice stylists. I just haven't met one who "gets" long hair.

luxurioushair
October 26th, 2015, 10:21 AM
I think they say this is necessary to "maintain" the style they just put in the hair. It is needed for "the cut" and maintenance. It's not said to try and discourage people from growing hair, but I think some people take it too literally and pull it out of context.
I was saying that they tell people to keep returning every 6 weeks for a trim. That makes them more money. I don't think they want to keep the hair short, just to make money from trims and haircuts.

I understand what luxurioushair is saying.

As someone with afro-textured hair, I don't have a huge variety of stylists available to me - even in my home country where black people are the norm.
At home a lot of stylists cater to chemically straightened black hair and they will tell you that you need to cut every 6-8 weeks, which is when most women (not ones on hair journeys) will go in for a relaxer. Every stylist I went to when my hair was relaxed said this (and trimmed as such) and I never knew better until I started trying to grow my hair on my own.
I'm not bashing any stylists when I say this, this was just my experience.
I am not referring to Afro stylists in particular, and I've never relaxed my hair or had problems finding stylists in my country. I am just purely referring to dishonest stylists of all kinds who give wrong info in order to make money!

MotherofJames
October 27th, 2015, 04:18 AM
I think it's just all circumstantial. My old hairdresser Tiffany was my stylist for years and my hair grew long and healthy and I followed her advice . However , stopped doing hair after her fourth child . I tried a few different stylist and all had horrible experiences , And my hair became shorter and shorter , more damaged than ever before, and I have to start all over again . �� so now, I've become holistic with it and doing what I feel is necessary to grow my hair out long, trying only natural and holistic remedies . I think everyone is different and depending on your hair type , has a lot to do with it . My girlfriend just the other day was telling me to stop using jojoba oil and start using bio silk for long hair growth . I tried to tell her that worked on her hair because it was already healthy, never colored , and long , but that my hair is in the repair process and needs only organic type oils and non sulfur shampoos and such . She looked me like I was nuts . But we have two totally different hair types and that's why she can go easily to a salon and get her desired look, me, on the other hand , can't , because my hair is so damaged and been through so much that a new hair dresser would basically be guessimated what would work well on my hair . so that's why now I choose to do it myself :)