PDA

View Full Version : How to get hair straight without straightening or blow-drying?

Boudicca
October 9th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Hi. I have curly hair, but would like to be able to get it straight from time to time. Is there anyway for me to do this without straightening or blow-drying? :confused:

Oskimosa
October 9th, 2008, 05:26 PM
No, not really :( I think there is some kind of wrapping technique that can pull a bit of the curl (until you wash it again, anyhow), but nothing like blow-drying or straightening. Truth be told, if your hair is resistent to damage, there is nothing wrong with using these devices "from time to time". I do, especially in the winter when I can't sleep with wet hair.

Just follow some guidelines to minimize damage:
1) If you don't mind cones, use a serum to protect your hair before styling.
2) Don't straighten with an iron while your hair is wet.
3) Don't blowdry on a hot or high setting.
4) Be careful if you use a brush while blowdrying to straighten.

manderly
October 9th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Nessthing straightens his by creating a ponytail with a whole bunch of elastics along it making it straight.

There is also the wrapping method which I haven't had success with, but you can try it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDOPWlDylV4

freznow
October 9th, 2008, 06:01 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1385&highlight=straight+hair+straighteners

anna1850 has a really helpful post a ways down the page.

tinah
October 9th, 2008, 06:43 PM
why not use the giant coke can sized "curlers"? It won't be stick straight, but it'll be a lot less curly.

plainjanegirl
October 9th, 2008, 06:52 PM
anna1850

Length: Shldr / Waist / Clasc
Type: 2c/3a / M / ii/iii

Default Re: My hair's grown 2" in one month!?
Everyone here is so nice. Thanks for all the lovely comments. I wasn't fishing for compliments, I promise

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly View Post
Wow, your hair is looking lovely!

Can you explain how to wrap your hair? I've seen the youtube video with the african american woman and tried it myself, but my caucasion hair was really slippery and kept sliding up my head making a cone instead of staying put. How'd you do it?
I read something that was posted on the old board which suggested doing it in 4 sections (I've been looking for the link but I can't find it!!) although I've started doing it in just 2 sections now.

My hair isn't too wavy near the top so what I do is seperate it into 2 halves (like I'm going to put it into pigtails) and cross them over at the back. I spritz them with my mister (a mix of water, aloe vera gel and EOs for smell. I then take each half and wrap it across the top of the head (like a crown braid) and pin it using loads of pins. I think I saw the video you saw where she just seems to wrap it all in one direction, I tried that and it didn't work.

I was thinking someone should post an article on it. I'm still perfecting the technique but I might do it if no one else does.

I'm just about to do it again now. I'll see if I can get some pics.

This method is pretty good.
But be sure to use lots of hair pins to pin it securely so none falls out.

plainjanegirl
October 9th, 2008, 06:53 PM
The link is here:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10122&page=2
And she shows pics of how to do it in this thread.

Boudicca
October 27th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Hi guys :) I just wanted to say thanks for all of the instructions, they've been really helpful - I'll definitely be trying the wrapping technique.

Oddly enough, I accidentally straightened my hair recently. I had been messing about with bendy rollers to try and get smoother curls and managed to knock the curl out of my hair. It was really strange.

Tangles
October 27th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Funny you should mention this because I inadvertently straightened my hair today!

I piled it up high on my head without twisting and secured with a jaw clip. It looked a bit goofy after it came loose a bit, but when I undid it after school today my hair was a 1C!!!

Curlsgirl
October 27th, 2008, 06:19 PM
There are 2 ways I sometimes get my hair a little straighter. Last night I did this:

Washed and conditioned as usual, blew dry the roots as usual about 3 or 4 inches out. Then I combed again after adding a leave-in with a wide tooth comb and separated into 2 sections down the back. I twisted into 2 giant ringlets gently and as it dried I twisted again and rake my fingers through alternately. It about 90% dry when I went to bed and when I got up probably about a 1C or 2A. I really liked it.

Sometimes I bun it too either twisting or not and take it down from time to time and rebun. This doesn't seem to work as well as the ringlet method.

I am new at this but it's a different look without using irons which absolutely destroy my hair on the ends.

Honey39
October 28th, 2008, 01:07 AM
I can get most of the curl out by putting leave-in conditioner/oil on my hair when damp, then putting it up in a very smooth updo (ie combing the top flat to my head). It's to do with timing for me - if I remember to let my hair down at the right time (usually about 90 minutes later), the top has dried sleek and smooth, and I get very gentle waves in the rest of it as it dries.

It's not straight, but it's a LOT straighter and less frizzy (and minimal effort!)

shaybabe8604
April 13th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Have you tried large rollers at eh crown and then wrapping the remaining hair around your head? Its called a doobie wrap for which tutorials can be found on youtube. My preferred method when my hair was longer was setting it on large rollers and then wrapping it. Here is a tutorial (she has longish hair so maybe her method could help you with the cone issue) Also, try pinning it along the way if you have to, then as you move around your head, take the pins out to incorporate the rest of your hair.

RavennaNight
April 13th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I don't know how much help this is, unless you want to change the color of your hair this isn't for you:

Henna & siliconey products. Seriously. I was in the 2's and now I can hardly get a wave. I'd say my hair is entering the 1's territory because I use henna and silicone conditioners. I'm happy it is all under control now.

shaybabe8604
April 13th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Have you tried wrapping with large rollers at the crown of your head? Take the crown section of your hair, put it on large rollers, then the remaining hair can be wrapped around your head. I found a video on youtube where she looked like she had the "cone effect" problem too before she finished, so manybe seeing how she did it will help.
And here is another link involving roller setting then wrapping: yourhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDOPWlDylV4&feature=channel_page

longhairedfairy
April 13th, 2009, 12:26 PM
My aunt has curlier hair than yours and she used to wrap her hair around aluminum cans to straighten it.

InTheCity
April 14th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Whatever you try, I highly recommend Aveda's "hang straight" as the product to go along with it. It is the greatest hair product - no stiffness, stickiness, you don't even know its in your hair. And its natural. It just happens to assist in the straightening process.

LilyMunster
April 14th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I can get as straight as possible w 2c m iii using:
Jessicurl Too Shea, as a leave in to just washed hair. Use a 3 row Denman comb to smooth all hair, carefully. Very gentle loose twist into a low nape bun. I use 2 quattro U pins in an 'x' to secure. Let air dry.