PDA

View Full Version : Regretting that pixie cut

irodaryne
October 19th, 2015, 11:21 PM
In February I was somewhat over a year in to growing out a pixie cut and I swear it was practically at armpit length (I'm short and my hair grows fast). Then I decided that I wanted to cut it incredibly short again....... :boohoo:

So now I've gone about eight months without a hair cut and it's pretty much at shoulder length and I can tie it back.... Except it's uneven... This wouldn't ordinarily be a problem but I'm in the process of job hunting so I can't just let it grow a tad more until it's longer, so tomorrow I'm going to get it cut into a bob so that it's even and professional.

I don't want to lose what little length I have, but there are perks to this. 1.) It'll look professional so that won't hinder my ability to get a job and 2.) as it grows out the hemline will be more or less even.

Just thought I'd share. Anyone else get a pixie cut only to be disgruntled with yourself several months later? (My hair could be at BSL or longer by now, dang it! :mad:)

ETA: That picture to the right is from somewhat before I chopped it off.

spidermom
October 19th, 2015, 11:37 PM
Just tell the stylist that you want to keep as much length as possible but still have a style. Mine was wonderful when I was growing out a pixie. She could tweak the shape while only trimming off the tiniest amount in strategic areas.

Happy growing!

irodaryne
October 19th, 2015, 11:40 PM
Just tell the stylist that you want to keep as much length as possible but still have a style. Mine was wonderful when I was growing out a pixie. She could tweak the shape while only trimming off the tiniest amount in strategic areas.

Happy growing!

Ohhhh interesting. The reason I'm thinking that the stylist would have to take off quite a bit is because of how one side is significantly shorter. Like, ridiculously noticeable and looks funny. Idk I'll ask the stylist what they can do tomorrow. Maybe they can keep as much length as possible.

spidermom
October 19th, 2015, 11:57 PM
I'm sure you don't want to go backwards too much.

pailin
October 20th, 2015, 12:19 AM
When I was growing out a pixie a few years ago, I had it cut into a chin-length bob, one length (I hadn't actually decided to grow it out at that point; it just worked out that way) and the particular cut I wound up with worked perfectly- I had a nice even hemline down to somewhere around shoulder/ APL (when I cut layers in). Like Spidermom said- if you can make it clear to a stylist that you want to cut it into something that will grow out evenly, and that you want as much length as possible, they should be able to give you a cut that will look neat now, and stay neat while growing out.

tigress86
October 20th, 2015, 12:44 AM
Ohhhh interesting. The reason I'm thinking that the stylist would have to take off quite a bit is because of how one side is significantly shorter. Like, ridiculously noticeable and looks funny. Idk I'll ask the stylist what they can do tomorrow. Maybe they can keep as much length as possible.

Look up photos of asymmetric hairstyles/haircuts, many of them can look professional in my opinion. You probably want the sides to be even eventually but that way you can cut it later when you have more length.

poli
October 20th, 2015, 12:45 AM
I grew pixie cut few times in my life. Cutting bob in the middle of the process made it look nicer for sure, on the other hand keeping growing as long as possible without any trims made it get longer faster. So it's up to you. If I could talk to myself a year ago I would probably convince myself to cut nice and even bob, the layers I have now are driving me crazy :silly:

LegoCaltrops
October 20th, 2015, 01:19 AM
I'm growing out a pixie at present. Just make it very clear to the stylist that you are growing your hair, so don't want to lose too much length, but need to look professional / neat & tidy, & it needs to be a cut that will age well (not need trims every 6-8 weeks).

Once my hair got to ear length I started going longer between trims - and once I got the final pixie layers out, about a month ago, I had a blunt chin-length bob. Should look good until it's past SL & falls differently, I think about 4-5 months at my current growth rate.

A ponytail hides a multitude of problems...

Nuala
October 20th, 2015, 02:23 AM
I'm growing out a pixie cut now and I'm at that annoying mullet stage. I agree with the others; tell your stylist that you're growing your hair, I'm sure she can make it look neat without cutting off too much.

Horrorpops
October 20th, 2015, 06:11 AM
Yes!! Growing out a pixie has been a pain for me both times I've done it. I really struggle when my hair gets between chin and armpit length and thats my danger zone where I am likely to chop it all off :o

I agree a bob can be a really nice professional hairstyle and isn't a bad one to grow out.

LauraAlaina
October 20th, 2015, 06:27 AM
Growing out a pixie is hell! I feel your pain! When you get to the stylist tell her you want just a square one length- just to even up the ends. Don't put layers (trust me) and tell her to cut as little as possible! That will be an easy hairstyle to grow out.

irodaryne
October 20th, 2015, 12:07 PM
I'm sure you don't want to go backwards too much.

Nooooo definitely not

When I was growing out a pixie a few years ago, I had it cut into a chin-length bob, one length (I hadn't actually decided to grow it out at that point; it just worked out that way) and the particular cut I wound up with worked perfectly- I had a nice even hemline down to somewhere around shoulder/ APL (when I cut layers in). Like Spidermom said- if you can make it clear to a stylist that you want to cut it into something that will grow out evenly, and that you want as much length as possible, they should be able to give you a cut that will look neat now, and stay neat while growing out.

I plan on growing out fairytale ends, too, so I mean.... I just want that nice even start (unless the hemline grows unevenly) and then once it gets long enough I'll S&D damaged ends.

Look up photos of asymmetric hairstyles/haircuts, many of them can look professional in my opinion. You probably want the sides to be even eventually but that way you can cut it later when you have more length.

Oh they definitely can, I'm just thinking "well I can get this done and over with now and then I can leave it be later"

I grew pixie cut few times in my life. Cutting bob in the middle of the process made it look nicer for sure, on the other hand keeping growing as long as possible without any trims made it get longer faster. So it's up to you. If I could talk to myself a year ago I would probably convince myself to cut nice and even bob, the layers I have now are driving me crazy :silly:

Its the layers that make it a pain. It's always the layers. That's how you end up with the dreaded pixie-mullet. *shudders*

I'm growing out a pixie at present. Just make it very clear to the stylist that you are growing your hair, so don't want to lose too much length, but need to look professional / neat & tidy, & it needs to be a cut that will age well (not need trims every 6-8 weeks).

Once my hair got to ear length I started going longer between trims - and once I got the final pixie layers out, about a month ago, I had a blunt chin-length bob. Should look good until it's past SL & falls differently, I think about 4-5 months at my current growth rate.

A ponytail hides a multitude of problems...

Oh my gosh yes thank you! It didn't occur to me that I should mention specifically that I want a haircut that will age well.

Yes!! Growing out a pixie has been a pain for me both times I've done it. I really struggle when my hair gets between chin and armpit length and thats my danger zone where I am likely to chop it all off :o

I agree a bob can be a really nice professional hairstyle and isn't a bad one to grow out.

For me the mullet stage is my danger zone. Then and right about shoulder length because it'll be just long enough that it's in my face but not quite long enough for me to get all the hair out of my face.

irodaryne
October 20th, 2015, 12:08 PM
Growing out a pixie is hell! I feel your pain! When you get to the stylist tell her you want just a square one length- just to even up the ends. Don't put layers (trust me) and tell her to cut as little as possible! That will be an easy hairstyle to grow out.

I love pixie cuts and I love long hair. The problem is growing a pixie cut to shoulder length because my goodness, it's like wine. It gets better with age until it turns to vinegar.

Thank you, everyone, for your advice. I feel much better prepared to go to the stylist today.

Vallena
October 20th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Good luck at the stylist! I'm sure you can get a cut that works for you. :)

ReadingRenee
October 20th, 2015, 12:27 PM
I love pixie cuts and I love long hair. The problem is growing a pixie cut to shoulder length because my goodness, it's like wine. It gets better with age until it turns to vinegar.

Thank you, everyone, for your advice. I feel much better prepared to go to the stylist today.

LOL I like that analogy. I feel the same say. I love pixie cuts and I love very long hair. It's the in between stages that I really don't like. It's good practice with patience and non instant gratification for me to grow my hair out. It's so much easier to be like "wow I really don't like my hair, Im going to go get a cute pixie" versus "wow, I really don't like my hair, Im going to grow it for 2 years. " :lol:

Good advice from everyone, good luck with your cut today.

irodaryne
October 20th, 2015, 02:13 PM
Well, my hair is now a chin length bob (the hair dresser was really great, though, she asked me before she took off any length, like in the back where it was especially mullet-y, and explained why she wanted to take off the length. She consulted me before she did anything) but at least it's even and it looks nice (meaning I wont be sitting here moaning over how my pixie is at that vinegar stage). Now I can just let it grow and do it's own thing.

Good thing my hair grows fast. :wink:

((also, surprisingly enough I can still get most of my hair back into a hair tie!)

Ashflower89
October 20th, 2015, 03:23 PM
Thats so nice that your stylist was helpful and explained exactly what she was doing. You might want to remember her name, this whole forum is full of horror stories of hairdressers that don't listen or think they know better than you. She sounds like a keeper for future cuts. =P

I'm almost done growing out a pixie for the 4th time and I'm so over the growout stage its not funny. Pixie are adorable, but I just don't think theyre worth the year of messy awkward hair afterwards. Good luck growing =)

irodaryne
October 20th, 2015, 03:45 PM
Thats so nice that your stylist was helpful and explained exactly what she was doing. You might want to remember her name, this whole forum is full of horror stories of hairdressers that don't listen or think they know better than you. She sounds like a keeper for future cuts. =P

I'm almost done growing out a pixie for the 4th time and I'm so over the growout stage its not funny. Pixie are adorable, but I just don't think theyre worth the year of messy awkward hair afterwards. Good luck growing =)

Oh, goodness, I was so relieved when she stopped and said "now do you want me to cut back here? I was thinking so and here's why." I've heard allllll about the nightmare hairdressers who think that "just a tiny trim" means "please cut ten inches off my hair."

I'll definitely be coming back to her. Even better? It was at one of those cheap salons, so I won't be paying out the nose!

spidermom
October 20th, 2015, 05:26 PM
That's good news. I've seen a lot of stylist horror stories around here. Luckily, in all my 61 years, I've never had a stylist completely ignore my instructions. I did once have a mis-communication which I think was my fault as much of hers. I need to not babble during hair cuts.

AZDesertRose
October 20th, 2015, 05:29 PM
Glad you're happy with your stylist and your cut, OP! It's really a nice feeling to feel like someone is paying attention to what you say and doing what you're paying them to do. :)

Happy growing!