PDA

View Full Version : Hemlines of the untrimmmed

Knifegill
October 18th, 2015, 07:52 AM
I would love a blunt hem, but I want to get to terminal, so I am only doing like 1/2 inch trims twice a year at most. I notice a lot of natural layering since I'm only just below shoulder length. Will it keep getting worse as my center hair outgrows my outer hair? Or will the layered end just sort of scroll down as it all grows?

What does happen if one never pulls the trigger and trims an actual hemline?

lapushka
October 18th, 2015, 08:24 AM
My hair hasn't been trimmed since November 2013, so that's almost 2 years now, and it still looks freshly cut. I mean... I think it takes a looong time for hair to start fairytaling, at least on me it does - apparently.

It's different for everybody. Why not join a no trim challenge for a year, few years, see where it takes you?

DweamGoiL
October 18th, 2015, 08:51 AM
I grew my hair out to TBL years ago with a blunt hemline. I went the no-cut route from BSL to about WL. I found out my hair on the right side grows much slower than on the left so I started to do microtrims to even things out. It was the only way to maintain a blunt hemline on my hair.

M.McDonough
October 18th, 2015, 09:27 AM
I honestly have never trimmed my hemline, since I started growing out my hair 2 years ago, and it looks just fine. My hair was really short kinda as short as a pixie cut. I don't know why some people do that.

Knifegill
October 18th, 2015, 09:37 AM
Alright, then! It's settled. I'll grow it to at least waist and then decide whether or not I need to do any shoring up. Thanx for the feedback everyone! More input is welcome!

GOAL:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-qNSbxD9yJv8/VTf-MDN475I/AAAAAAABdOM/Kt4DNZlDk_A/s1600/Long%2BHair%2BVictorian%2BLady%2B(3).jpg

hennalonghair
October 18th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Can we see a pic of it?
My hair hasn't been trimmed since November 2013, so that's almost 2 years now, and it still looks freshly cut. I mean... I think it takes a looong time for hair to start fairytaling, at least on me it does - apparently.

It's different for everybody. Why not join a no trim challenge for a year, few years, see where it takes you?

I think people forget that not all hair grows at the same rate so having a blunt hemline if you don't trim is next to impossible over time. Another consideration is that hair is naturally protected by the pack so the more taper you have the more chance the exposed ends will get damaged.
Thats been my experience and I know many others feel the same way. I think the best thing to do is try never trimming and see whether it's for you. With some peoples hair texture they can get away with it but not everyone can. If I left my hair untrimmed I would lose all my curl and it would turn into a frizzy mess.

lapushka
October 18th, 2015, 10:05 AM
Can we see a pic of it?

I think people forget that not all hair grows at the same rate so having a blunt hemline if you don't trim is next to impossible over time. Another consideration is that hair is naturally protected by the pack so the more taper you have the more chance the exposed ends will get damaged.
Thats been my experience and I know many others feel the same way. I think the best thing to do is try never trimming and see whether it's for you. With some peoples hair texture they can get away with it but not everyone can. If I left my hair untrimmed I would lose all my curl and it would turn into a frizzy mess.

There's pictures in my album, but I have stopped having my picture taken since hitting classic length. Personal reasons. :)

gthlvrmx
October 18th, 2015, 10:24 AM
I would love a blunt hem, but I want to get to terminal, so I am only doing like 1/2 inch trims twice a year at most. I notice a lot of natural layering since I'm only just below shoulder length. Will it keep getting worse as my center hair outgrows my outer hair? Or will the layered end just sort of scroll down as it all grows?

What does happen if one never pulls the trigger and trims an actual hemline?
The more you cut your hair, the shorter your hair will get when it reaches its "terminal time" and sheds out. In order to get to the "terminal time" with the most amount of length possible, you have to stay away from cutting your hair. And what do you mean "get worse"? Layers and fairytale ends aren't bad, they are just ways of having your hair. Most people at terminal length have fairytale ends because that's what naturally happens. It's not really a choice because they want to trim it that way. If you don't like fairy tale ends, you might not like reaching terminal because usually you'll have fairytale ends at that time. If you never cut your hair starting now and go for terminal, your hair will grow out to fairytales ends.

I love blunt cuts too but they don't really go along with growing to terminal, in my opinion. I read before on here that the more you cut, the father you get from reaching your "true terminal length". I agree with that.

Inga-Marjukka
October 18th, 2015, 10:32 AM
Personally, I have very mixed feelings about fairytale ends for myself, and had a good think before I trimmed about half an inch off the other day. I'm only BSL now, but reaching terminal would be a fun goal to have somewhere in the future. However, I'm super stuck with the idea that I have to trim every other month because that's what I used to do for a long, long time... :hmm:

hennalonghair
October 18th, 2015, 10:43 AM
There's pictures in my album, but I have stopped having my picture taken since hitting classic length. Personal reasons. :)

Ok thank you. That's what I thought .

Deborah
October 18th, 2015, 11:28 AM
The back of my hair grows faster than the sides so I need to trim to stay even. I don't like scraggly ends.

Colochita
October 18th, 2015, 12:13 PM
I have super fine, super kinky and fragile hair. So not trimming every so often equals damage that travels. If your hair is coarse enough (actual strand thickness) and healthy you should be fine.

yahirwaO.o
October 18th, 2015, 06:50 PM
Yep some finies cant afford to have nice fairy tail ends instead of getting a scraggy ratty thin mess without regular trims. Lucky you, people who can just get away with growing their hair just like so!

EdG
October 18th, 2015, 07:20 PM
Hair that is never trimmed just tapers off to nothing. The length at which that happens is different for everyone. Also, not all hairs have the same terminal length. This further adds to the taper.
Ed

littlestarface
October 18th, 2015, 08:45 PM
i havent trimmed my hair since 2012 and its grown into very much fairytale ends like a v shape. when i get scissors im gonna start trimming and maintaining again.

spidermom
October 18th, 2015, 10:06 PM
I've tried to grow without trimming on several occasions, but I get too many split ends that keep splitting and breaking off, splitting and breaking off .....

I wish I didn't! So I guess my goal is the longest it will grow with trims.

Frankenstein
October 18th, 2015, 10:09 PM
It wasn't terminal but I grew my hair to classic in 5 years without any trims. My hair is fine and I heat styled it somewhat regularly though, in addition to many other pre-LHC sins so it did eventually fairytale into a V shape. I think it would have stayed blunt for a longer period of time if I had taken better care of it.

Anje
October 19th, 2015, 06:52 AM
I spent years maintaining my length at tailbone, hoping I could thicken it up at the hemline. (My hair typically does not get splits at the hem, but it will get little tangles that cause breaks a few inches up.) At first it worked, for maybe the first year. Then it just never really got thicker, and I was convinced I was maintaining a smidgen above my terminal.

Eventually I did a bigger trim to hip, and then sorta let it grow back and ignored it.... I was surprised when I realized a few months back that it was at classic! The ends are a bit fairytaled, but they're also thicker at tailbone than they were when I was maintaining at that length (except maybe immediately after a trim). So I suspect that for me and my hair, the last few inches are just plain going to be thin at the lengths, but that doesn't seem to stop it from growing. My hair grows better if I relax and let it fairytale. (I'll still trim to keep some of the tapering down, but I'm no longer going to try for a blunt hem.)

Horrorpops
October 19th, 2015, 08:48 AM
I definitely noticed thinning and fairytaling of my BSL hair when I didn't trim it for a year. I was doing a lot of S&Ds and had a lot of breakage from bleached ends though so that definitely contributed.

I think what your hemline will look like without trims is determined by:
1. How fast and slow different hairs/ patches of hair grow
2. How long different hairs grow for before they shed
3. Other hair loss from breakage or search and destroy trims

You might find it all evens up but I think its likely if it grows unevenly at shoulder length it'll continue to do so. I quite like the look of uneven and fairytaling hemlines but if thats not your cup of tea maybe trims are a better option :flower:

ETA: obviously I gained length so mucn quicker when I wasn't trimming (and so am aiming to do that for 2016 too!) So for me thats a big benefit - I get to retain all/most of the growth. :o