PDA

View Full Version : Hair Help When Swimming!

Madeleine13
October 17th, 2015, 02:08 PM
Hello, I working in a special needs school and once a week we go swimming. I wear a swim hat but my hair still seems to get wet and I can't wash it afterwards because my job is to help get the children washed, dressed etc. When I get change I have to it as quickly as possible and don't have to time to worry about my hair so I spend the rest of the day at school with chlorine on it which can't be doing my hair much good and I am growing it but I can't think what else I can do. Many there just isn't anything.

meteor
October 17th, 2015, 02:27 PM
If you are trying to keep the hair dry, try using 2 swim caps instead of one. Depending on your activity level in the pool, 2 swim caps can usually keep hair underneath dry-ish. Depending on how long your hair is, you might need special swim caps: there are some swim caps for super-long hair out there.

If you don't have any time to wash your hair after pool and the hair did get wet, at least rinse it in the shower quickly to wash out some of the chlorine.

For pre-pool prep, I recommend oiling hair in coconut oil and braiding and bunning it. It's good to soak hair in fresh water too, but that would defeat the purpose of trying to keep it dry in this particular case.

Good luck! And happy swimming! :cheer:

Madeleine13
October 18th, 2015, 05:32 AM
I wouldn't have time to do that but I think I will try wearing two swim hats and see if that makes it get less wet. Thank you! I think I will try and get a better swim cap as well. One that's for longer hair and more stretchy, making it longer.

meteor
October 18th, 2015, 12:09 PM
^ I hope that it works for you! :D
Also, if your hair does get wet, it might help to throw in a "swimmers" shampoo or a chelating shampoo into your routine: e.g. Ultraswim, Ion, L'Anza, Joico, Redken, Pantene Damage Detox, etc... - it's best to chelate during the next shampooing that you do after visiting the pool, condition thoroughly and then go back to your normal products. :)

Horrorpops
October 18th, 2015, 04:46 PM
If I know I'll be going to the beach/a pool ib advance I'll often run coconut oil through my hair (especially the ends) and then braid it or put it up. It still looks presentable and not greasy when its worn like this but I feel like it offers some protection for my hair too?

Maybe you could oil the night before, bun, and then go to work and swim etc? You wouldn't have to wash your hair after the swimming just once you've gotten home that evening.

I dont find it takes up a lot of time and definitely feel like my hair is less dried out when I do this. :o

Madeleine13
October 19th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Thank you for your advice. I can't use coconut oil in my hair though. I've tried it before and it makes it itch and burn like crazy.

Madeleine13
October 19th, 2015, 02:48 PM
I might try that. Thank you!

Nini
October 19th, 2015, 03:48 PM
Assuming you help the kids clean up in the shower it shouldn't be impossible for you to rinse out your hair and just put it up, as is.

Horrorpops
October 20th, 2015, 06:07 AM
Thank you for your advice. I can't use coconut oil in my hair though. I've tried it before and it makes it itch and burn like crazy.

Ooh definitely stay away from it then!! Thats not a good sign! Maybe try olive oil or sweet almond oil? Focus on the length and ends (less on the scalp).

But oils shouldn't itch or burn! Have you found one that doesn't? :o