PDA

View Full Version : The Great Shed -- The Thinning Hair Support Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

diddiedaisy
December 15th, 2015, 03:25 PM
Ok, I'm having a meltdown. I thought I was fully recovered from my hairloss, it stopped falling nearly two years ago, and I am just waiting for the thickness to travel down.

I've noticed though over the past couple of days that my scalp looks different, a bit more scarce and quite shiny. I have had no bad sheds for ages, just what I call normal shedding. So I took some pictures. I wish I hadn't. The lighting is very harsh but it won't show what's not there. It doesn't look so bad in normal

To me it's looks like there's no follicles there. Am I stuck like this?

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag361/sblackburn4/Mobile%20Uploads/38BE9B56-73B9-4219-842A-1101CAA22C40_zpsk0nzu5dk.jpg (http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/sblackburn4/media/Mobile%20Uploads/38BE9B56-73B9-4219-842A-1101CAA22C40_zpsk0nzu5dk.jpg.html)http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag361/sblackburn4/Mobile%20Uploads/2D02B418-67E7-40D7-AA8E-2600D0800B4E_zpst9k65mrx.jpg (http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/sblackburn4/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2D02B418-67E7-40D7-AA8E-2600D0800B4E_zpst9k65mrx.jpg.html)http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag361/sblackburn4/Mobile%20Uploads/55C2901D-BE05-4C1B-B3C9-348C013AD682_zpswfbmgou6.jpg (http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/sblackburn4/media/Mobile%20Uploads/55C2901D-BE05-4C1B-B3C9-348C013AD682_zpswfbmgou6.jpg.html)

And in a softer light

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag361/sblackburn4/Mobile%20Uploads/F31BF8C7-9211-4AFB-8591-3A30A74DB28C_zpsgblse1ys.jpg (http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/sblackburn4/media/Mobile%20Uploads/F31BF8C7-9211-4AFB-8591-3A30A74DB28C_zpsgblse1ys.jpg.html)

To me I just don't think all my hair grew back. Opinions would be gratefully received. Thanks :)

TR
December 15th, 2015, 03:34 PM
Could your scalp possibly be a little sunburned? Hard to tell from the light but it seems a bit red. That could make your scalp a bit oily and shiny, and of course the red color will show through more than normal. In the first photo the glare along your part makes it look like there's a thin spot there, but it's not obvious in the other pics. There could be some thin areas but the last two photos look fine.

Beborani
December 15th, 2015, 04:30 PM
Diddiedaisy, don't panic just yet. Everyone has whorl at the crown and some of us have two (lucky!). You can see this more easily in men who have short haircuts and babies. It is often hidden in longer hair and depending on how your hair falls sometimes it can look exaggerated. Looking at all your pictures together, I think what you have is normal. If it has thinned there you will also have scalp cleavage in all your pictures.

diddiedaisy
December 15th, 2015, 05:00 PM
Oh, I should have explained, my scalps not actually red (rubbish camera) but it is shiny, it has been for ages. I've definitely got sparse bits that I didn't have before my hair started dropping out. It just seems to be more noticeable of late. I want to say I'll keep an eye on it but it's easy to get obsessive as a former tric sufferer. I'm going to start taking vits and msm again. I'll also look again in the morning in natural daylight. Thanks

Teufelchen
December 16th, 2015, 02:05 AM
I am still loosing about 70-80 hairs per day instead of my usual 30-40 hairs, and my hair grows significantly slower. I don't want to call it hair loss yet, since it is in a whole different order of magnitude still, but I am a bit worried. I talked to my Mom about it and she pointed out, I was really stressed the last 3 months and I didn't sleep enough, so I will try to improve both to see what is happening. I already experienced slower grow if I am super stressed, so this might be the same.

I have a tiny improvement, my shedding rate is currently at about 65-75 hairs per day, which is still more than normal, but I am more optimistic, that it doesn't lead to hair loss this time.

I checked some old pictures of pre-LHC hair and I almost started crying as I realized how think my ends were back than. Not that LHC caused my hair loss, I found it back then when I searched for methods to regrow my hair fast after a regretted cut.

I tried to sleep more, but the stress will persist until March, but it should be ok, as long as I have enough sleep.

Brunettebybirth
December 17th, 2015, 05:57 AM
Well, I have a bit of progress so I thought I'd check back in. As of today, I've been supplementing just about three weeks. No regrowth yet as it's still early but I've noticed a few positives so I'll list them here.

Nails: growing much faster, and no ridges. I always had decent nails but they are harder and shiny too. I need to cut and/or file them more often. I'm actually wearing no polish the past week which is very unusual for me because they look pretty good and healthy.

Skin: I had a bad reaction to Biotin (almost immediately) so I've been praying that I would be able to tolerate Biosil. So far, so good. A couple of pimples cropped up around TOM but that's normal for me. Then they disappeared pretty quickly. Also, overall my skin tone is brighter, and the whites of my eyes are whiter too. Any fine lines I have seem "plumped up". Unexpectedly, a small wart I've had on my hand for close to two years, and couldn't get rid of, has completely vanished! And a weird rash on my elbow that was there for about a year (probably due to inflammation) is now gone too. Definitely attribute this to the Biosil. Overall, my skin is softer.

Hair: as I stated above, no regrowth yet, obviously, as it's still very early on. However, my hair fall per day has been even further reduced from 40-50 to around 20 hair now. This is so comforting to me as previously I was losing around 350+ daily. That alone makes me very happy! My hair has thickened considerably to the point where people are starting to notice and comment on it. Now, this may also be in junction with the fact that I'm not heat styling OR using any hair products on my hair at all. Nonetheless, my hair feels and looks much thicker, shinier, and healthier. Considering how fine my hair is, this is a win for me. The past few days, I've also noticed that along my part - the very front of it - near my forehead looks somewhat black/grayish in color as opposed to stark white. I had a friend examine the area too, and she definitely said it looks darker in color. Maybe that means regrowth is not far behind, no sure but it seems like something is being stimulated scalp-wise for me. I did notice a slight increase in dandruff on my scalp for a few days which I can only attribute to the fact that maybe some buildup was there causing the follicles to be plugged up, halting any hair growth. The dandruff is gone now, and that's when I noticed my part darkening in color. I am noticing the healthier my hair gets that it looks better in its natural state, wavy and hang loosely below my shoulders. I'm determined to not use heat or styling products until I feel my hair is in a better place that it had been in the past. I have a hair appointment at the end of January for a trim, and I'm curious to see where I'm at then or if my hairdresser notices anything different with my hair. My confidence has somewhat returned now too. I don't feel like my hair is SUCH an issue anymore. Again, I do realize that compared to some people, I was lucky because I don't have bald spots just overall loss in volume so no one really knows what I've been going through. It's nice to see that the supplements are working, and that my hair is repairing itself from the inside out.

Thanks for reading. Happy holidays too.

vpatt
December 17th, 2015, 07:57 AM
I'm glad to see some people are getting some good results with their hair, yay!

I am at week six with the PurD'or shampoo. I still see no new little fuzzies on my scalp. I do love the shampoo. It cleans my hair well and makes it really soft and shiny. And it seems to go very far.

However, I do feel that my hair has begun to thicken. I think this is from the new growth a few months ago. I think that growth has grown enough now to feel it more in the length and to be included in the ponytail measurement. It measures closer to three inches now more consistently. Just feels thicker when I braid it and fool with it. I understand that at my length that would happen as not only new growth but also the shorter pixie layers and growing out bangs can be gathered into the ponytail. So overall I have stopped most of my worrying and obsessing over the hair. I understand that at my age some thinning might be expected and that is how it is for me. I will still update on the PurD'or.

And this does not mean that I will ever forget about the massive shed I had and how devastated I was during that time. And I will be vigilant in watching for excessive shedding in the future. I don't think the big shed was due to age, tho. I believe fasting/diet and immune system issues were the cause. I will still be here on this thread. And I don't have a suddenly thick and luxurious head of hair (I wish). But I can see some improvement that makes me happy. Maybe it would not be enough for some people, but it makes me feel happy.

Annalouise
December 17th, 2015, 07:57 AM
Has anyone in this thread tried supplementing with liquid iodine? I came across some information about how many people are most likely deficient in iodine, and how one symptom of this can be hair loss. I actually learned the most about it by reading through the many reviews on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/J-CROWS%C2%AE-Lugols-Solution-Iodine-2oz/dp/B001AEFM9Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1449588761&sr=8-2&keywords=lugol%27s+iodine+solution

So yeah, I've been taking it for a month now and have some new growth up by my forehead! I also have more energy and more clarity and focus in my thinking. I am no expert on this, but I do recommend that you all look into it and do some research.

Hi indigostreams - its nice to see another 'i' hair person. I take iodine (kelp) in the tablet form. Do you think the liquid works better?

Ok, I'm having a meltdown. I thought I was fully recovered from my hairloss, it stopped falling nearly two years ago, and I am just waiting for the thickness to travel down.

Hi Diddiedaisy- I've been waiting for years for the "thickness to travel down". And the result is it doesn't. I have no thickness past bsl, and I never have. It depends on your genetics. I'm still trying to have hair to my waist but I only have a few hairs after bsl. I never give up hope but I think I'm fighting a losing battle.

Neoma
December 17th, 2015, 12:55 PM
I'm glad to see some people are getting some good results with their hair, yay!

I am at week six with the PurD'or shampoo. I still see no new little fuzzies on my scalp. I do love the shampoo. It cleans my hair well and makes it really soft and shiny. And it seems to go very far.

However, I do feel that my hair has begun to thicken. I think this is from the new growth a few months ago. I think that growth has grown enough now to feel it more in the length and to be included in the ponytail measurement. It measures closer to three inches now more consistently. Just feels thicker when I braid it and fool with it. I understand that at my length that would happen as not only new growth but also the shorter pixie layers and growing out bangs can be gathered into the ponytail. So overall I have stopped most of my worrying and obsessing over the hair. I understand that at my age some thinning might be expected and that is how it is for me. I will still update on the PurD'or.

And this does not mean that I will ever forget about the massive shed I had and how devastated I was during that time. And I will be vigilant in watching for excessive shedding in the future. I don't think the big shed was due to age, tho. I believe fasting/diet and immune system issues were the cause. I will still be here on this thread. And I don't have a suddenly thick and luxurious head of hair (I wish). But I can see some improvement that makes me happy. Maybe it would not be enough for some people, but it makes me feel happy.
vpatt, I'm glad to hear that your hair is feeling thicker. That's great news! :cheer: I totally understand being happy with progress and not expecting a luxurious head of hair. :flower:

vpatt
December 17th, 2015, 01:11 PM
Thanks Neoma. I didn't want it sound like I was leaving the thread......I will never forget shedding my hair EVERYWHERE. ALL. THE. TIME. It was very emotionally painful and I want to support others going thru this.

Neoma
December 17th, 2015, 02:50 PM
Thanks Neoma. I didn't want it sound like I was leaving the thread......I will never forget shedding my hair EVERYWHERE. ALL. THE. TIME. It was very emotionally painful and I want to support others going thru this.

I appreciate that, vpatt. :flowers:

While mine has slowed, I'm not entirely sure that it's 100% over. I'm not losing hands full of hair, but I'm still clogging up the drain every time I shower. :(

vpatt
December 17th, 2015, 03:10 PM
I appreciate that, vpatt. :flowers:

While mine has slowed, I'm not entirely sure that it's 100% over. I'm not losing hands full of hair, but I'm still clogging up the drain every time I shower. :(

Hopefully that means it will soon stop completely.

Neoma
December 17th, 2015, 05:09 PM
Hopefully that means it will soon stop completely.

Thank you, vpatt. :flowers:

diddiedaisy
December 17th, 2015, 05:41 PM
annalouise, the thickness is lower than it was. It used to start thinning from collarbone, now it's at apl. I think the problem is that my hair has different growth rates. I dye hair so it's it's easy to see the growth at the front. 1cm every 4 weeks. At the back I have some that grow faster. The under canopy though from my nape to about a 1/3 up grows really slowly. My top canopy at the back also has a slower growth rate.

The result is I have an overall length of bsl, with an under layer at apl, a layer at shoulder length and an ear length one as well. I do suspect that some of the shorter layers just have a short terminal, but it's difficult to work out at this stage.

My aim is waist length, but I can't see me ever having it, at least in a decent state. I don't even know if genetics will allow as it's never been that long, nor have I ever tried to grow it that long.

I do know that if it wasn't for this site I would have given up ages ago and just kept it shoulder/cbl. It's so bloomin' hard work!!!

italiancouture7
December 18th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Hi ladies, I am new to this section. I have been dealing with thinning hair now for a couple of years. It started shortly after a cervical cancer scare, for which I had surgery for. About 2 months after that I was diagnosed with seborrhoeic dermatitis and I had a huge shed, I lost so much hair. After that, my shedding continued to be a high amount. I am prone to anemia as well so I also think it is a factor. My doctor also told me SD can cause hair loss and my therapist told me that hair loss can be a side effect of PTSD, although I had already been diagnosed with it prior to this. However, my stress levels have steadily increased over the last couple years. I don't know if it's just a perfect storm or what?? I have noticed that my actual hair strands look noticeably thinner and snap very easily. I eat a healthy diet, we eat a whole food a cleaner diet, but I admit I sometimes skip meals because I don't feel hungry due to my anxiety/stress. The worse my stress gets, the more hair I lose. I just don't know how to get this under control, I will probably be bald soon?? Are there any products or supplements that can help to thicken my strands back up?? I tried doing protein treatments once a week, but I actually think it's making it worse. My hair is past my waist and it's getting so thin it looks ridiculous. I am so fed up that I sometimes think about just shaving it all off and buying a wig. I am constantly stressing over it which is just making things worse.... Is there any hope for me?

italiancouture7
December 18th, 2015, 11:00 AM
This is my braid (after showering) I feel like it looks so thin and ridiculous :(

http://i65.tinypic.com/vfhzck.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/23itlwn.jpg

Brunettebybirth
December 18th, 2015, 02:53 PM
italiancouture7: I'm currently supplementing with evening primrose oil and Biosil. My shedding stopped fairly quickly after starting the supplements. My daily hair fall is approximately 20-30 hairs now, down from 350+. My hair also feels and looks much thicker. No regrowth yet but it's only been 3 weeks. Good luck.

rags
December 18th, 2015, 03:22 PM
Italiancouture, I'm so sorry you're going through all of this. :grouphug: I know, no matter how thick your hair is, that having it shed and thin can be very traumatic. However, I do have to say that your braid looks perfectly normal - and is thicker than mine BEFORE my Great Shed. So I think maybe you're being a bit hard on yourself, due to worrying about it. Your braid is lovely! I hope your shedding stops soon. :flower:

italiancouture7
December 18th, 2015, 04:22 PM
italiancouture7: I'm currently supplementing with evening primrose oil and Biosil. My shedding stopped fairly quickly after starting the supplements. My daily hair fall is approximately 20-30 hairs now, down from 350+. My hair also feels and looks much thicker. No regrowth yet but it's only been 3 weeks. Good luck.

Oh wow that is quite significant different!!! I am shedding at least 100-200 a day. It does really vary depending on the day, I notice it's always worse when i'm stressed lol. I never used to shed this much, made 50 hairs a day?? I actually have some EPO on hand, so I will add that in and look into getting Biosil as well. Thank you so much!! So glad I posted here!

italiancouture7
December 18th, 2015, 04:25 PM
Italiancouture, I'm so sorry you're going through all of this. :grouphug: I know, no matter how thick your hair is, that having it shed and thin can be very traumatic. However, I do have to say that your braid looks perfectly normal - and is thicker than mine BEFORE my Great Shed. So I think maybe you're being a bit hard on yourself, due to worrying about it. Your braid is lovely! I hope your shedding stops soon. :flower:

You are very sweet! Thank you!! <3
I am always very hard on myself lol, as evidence by my excessive stress. I think I am just finally coming to terms with it, it's been a couple of years now with the shedding, but the hair strand thinning is more recent. My braid used to be 3 times thicker, so I definitely notice it a lot now, I've been trying to tell myself it's all in my head but I can really see the difference now. I've really gotta get this worrying under control though, I seem to be perpetually stressed and it's really just affecting my health all around.

Obsessed1
December 18th, 2015, 07:30 PM
Sorry to hear you're going through that. I would definitely address your iron levels, iron is essential for normal hair growth and cycle. But iron is also an inflammatory pro oxidant mineral so you have to be careful and monitor your levels. Too much iron can also cause hair loss but it'd take freaky amounts over a period of time to go from too low to too high. Some forms are constipating, there are all different kinds of forms so you have to do a bit of research when selecting. There are also lots of other nutrients essential for hair - biotin, B vitamins, zinc, protein, essential fatty acids etc. Zinc and B vitamins are depleted during stress due to ypur body utilizing them for synthesis of neurotransmitters and increased urinary excretion. Many nutrients essential for hair growth are depleted in stress, so it's not always necessarily the actual stress causing it but the effects on the nutrition status - we need b vits, iron, zinc, protein and omega 3 for neurotransmitter synthesis/conduction and brain health. Your body will prioritize that above hair and skin quality. Not eating enough calories can also cause very noticeable hair loss. Also low vitamin D - it's surprising if someones not a bit low, especially in winter or if they don't go in the sun a lot. I live in an area of Australia that has lots of damaging rays but not enough UVB which vitamin D is synthesized from. Vitamin D can stimulate hair growth and toxicity risk is low, I take 4000iu D3 a day. It's best to check your levels before you supplement with iron or vit D of course. I hope you find a solution xx

Obsessed1
December 18th, 2015, 07:31 PM
Sorry, can't edit my posts but I am an almost graduated BHSc Naturopathy/Nutritional Medicine student

majesticgoldenr
December 19th, 2015, 12:10 AM
[QUOTE=italiancouture7;3138416 Is there any hope for me?[/QUOTE]

Yes!! We look like hair twins actually, lol, except my braid goes partway down my hip. You're not alone; *Hugs*

lapushka
December 19th, 2015, 06:40 AM
Hi ladies, I am new to this section. I have been dealing with thinning hair now for a couple of years. It started shortly after a cervical cancer scare, for which I had surgery for. About 2 months after that I was diagnosed with seborrhoeic dermatitis and I had a huge shed, I lost so much hair. After that, my shedding continued to be a high amount. I am prone to anemia as well so I also think it is a factor. My doctor also told me SD can cause hair loss and my therapist told me that hair loss can be a side effect of PTSD, although I had already been diagnosed with it prior to this. However, my stress levels have steadily increased over the last couple years. I don't know if it's just a perfect storm or what?? I have noticed that my actual hair strands look noticeably thinner and snap very easily. I eat a healthy diet, we eat a whole food a cleaner diet, but I admit I sometimes skip meals because I don't feel hungry due to my anxiety/stress. The worse my stress gets, the more hair I lose. I just don't know how to get this under control, I will probably be bald soon?? Are there any products or supplements that can help to thicken my strands back up?? I tried doing protein treatments once a week, but I actually think it's making it worse. My hair is past my waist and it's getting so thin it looks ridiculous. I am so fed up that I sometimes think about just shaving it all off and buying a wig. I am constantly stressing over it which is just making things worse.... Is there any hope for me?

Get the anemia sorted, iron shortage is a *key* factor in hair loss.

italiancouture7
December 19th, 2015, 06:57 AM
Get the anemia sorted, iron shortage is a *key* factor in hair loss.

I've started taking iron again. I even set a daily alarm to remember.

italiancouture7
December 19th, 2015, 07:02 AM
Sorry to hear you're going through that. I would definitely address your iron levels, iron is essential for normal hair growth and cycle. But iron is also an inflammatory pro oxidant mineral so you have to be careful and monitor your levels. Too much iron can also cause hair loss but it'd take freaky amounts over a period of time to go from too low to too high. Some forms are constipating, there are all different kinds of forms so you have to do a bit of research when selecting. There are also lots of other nutrients essential for hair - biotin, B vitamins, zinc, protein, essential fatty acids etc. Zinc and B vitamins are depleted during stress due to ypur body utilizing them for synthesis of neurotransmitters and increased urinary excretion. Many nutrients essential for hair growth are depleted in stress, so it's not always necessarily the actual stress causing it but the effects on the nutrition status - we need b vits, iron, zinc, protein and omega 3 for neurotransmitter synthesis/conduction and brain health. Your body will prioritize that above hair and skin quality. Not eating enough calories can also cause very noticeable hair loss. Also low vitamin D - it's surprising if someones not a bit low, especially in winter or if they don't go in the sun a lot. I live in an area of Australia that has lots of damaging rays but not enough UVB which vitamin D is synthesized from. Vitamin D can stimulate hair growth and toxicity risk is low, I take 4000iu D3 a day. It's best to check your levels before you supplement with iron or vit D of course. I hope you find a solution xx

I started taking my iron again and have been setting an alarm to remember. I had already been taking Vitamin D3 and actually I have been taking that exact amount. I know for a fact i'm likely deficient. I never go outside, like ever. I am as pale as a ghost, but I stay out of the sun on purpose. I do take my kids to the park, but I sit in the shade. I know that isn't always a good thing though. I just ordered some biotin as well. I have some B complex vitamins that would be good to take as well. I have a hard time taking care of myself, it's even harder with my husband gone, i've put my own needs on the back burner.

italiancouture7
December 19th, 2015, 07:02 AM
Yes!! We look like hair twins actually, lol, except my braid goes partway down my hip. You're not alone; *Hugs*

Oh wow that is long!! Do you have hair thinning/loss too?

Goatcraft
December 19th, 2015, 09:00 AM
I don't have this issue personally, but I do have a suggestion for you guys. At my sisters salon, they sell this product for thinning hair. It's rather pricey but my sister was saying it's effective - and it has great reviews. She recently started using it after her hair started shedding more than usual. These are the 'behind the shelf' bottles, so the ones purchased by non-stylists are smaller but same appearance for the most part. Also, ignore the bottle up front. That's just for protein.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2jb0ihj.jpg

renia22
December 19th, 2015, 12:35 PM
Sorry, can't edit my posts but I am an almost graduated BHSc Naturopathy/Nutritional Medicine student

Welcome to LHC :)

moxamoll
December 19th, 2015, 05:46 PM
I don't have this issue personally, but I do have a suggestion for you guys. At my sisters salon, they sell this product for thinning hair. It's rather pricey but my sister was saying it's effective - and it has great reviews. She recently started using it after her hair started shedding more than usual. These are the 'behind the shelf' bottles, so the ones purchased by non-stylists are smaller but same appearance for the most part. Also, ignore the bottle up front. That's just for protein.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2jb0ihj.jpg

Interesting, the Aveda site specifically says that this is to combat breakage, not hair loss from the scalp. Does she recommend it for hair loss as well?

Neoma
December 19th, 2015, 08:10 PM
Interesting, the Aveda site specifically says that this is to combat breakage, not hair loss from the scalp. Does she recommend it for hair loss as well?

I've used Invati and liked it. I wrote about it at length earlier in this thread.

Goatcraft
December 20th, 2015, 06:52 AM
Moxamall,
On the bottle, it's actually described as a scalp stimulator and in the salon they suggest it for those dealing with thinning hair. I'll have to check the ingredients, but I'm thinking it has tea tree oil in it or something. It has a very refreshing feel.

moxamoll
December 20th, 2015, 01:58 PM
Thanks guys. I often can't use Aveda products because of my problems with so many EOs, but I'll have to check this one out.

majesticgoldenr
December 20th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Oh wow that is long!! Do you have hair thinning/loss too?

Thanks. Yeah, its been worse than usual since like October and its been especially messy this last week or so because my trich is through the roof. I've never had super thick hair, I'd say I've still got 60 or 70% of what I started with though.

vpatt
December 20th, 2015, 03:48 PM
Italiancouture, that looks like a very nice braid to me. But I know how it feels to go thru a big shed.
Have you measured your ponytail so you can tell if you are losing thickness? I didn't do that when I was losing hair because mine was not long enough for most of it to reach into a ponytail. I bought some PurD'or shampoo which helps with shedding according to the customer responses I read on Amazon. Also, a member here, hennalonghair, has had some good results with it. I have been using it six weeks and so far I have not seen new growth, but it is a very nice shampoo and I like the way it makes my hair look and feel. For me it is a bit pricey, but it does go a long way.

I wonder, have you tried yoga for stress? Or probably most exercises would help.

vpatt
December 20th, 2015, 03:53 PM
Oops, welcome to all the rest of you too, I been having internet issues and suddenly got a bunch of new posts.

Teufelchen
December 23rd, 2015, 12:42 AM
I've used Invati and liked it. I wrote about it at length earlier in this thread.
I tried it as well, but it did make it worse for me as it contains wheat protein and I found out by using this that I am not tolerating it externally as well, I knew I don't tolerate it internally.
And it was way to much protein for my hair.

bubastis
December 23rd, 2015, 12:56 PM
I feel like I am totally losing it over here. I've tried to stay positive throughout this entire ordeal,but I'm over four months in now and still losing on average 85 hairs every day. I've been turned inside out medically and there is nothing wrong with me,I've used minoxidil for three months...nothing changes. Combing my hair has become a daily nightmare that leaves me in tears for the first hour after. I can't seem to think of anything else anymore and am feeling deeply depressed. I fear this will never end,since you always hear TE stops after three months and I can't even remember anymore what it felt like not to cry every single day. Seems I've woken up in my own worst nightmare and it just won't end. Sorry for the rant,but I feel I can't really say how bad I am really doing anywhere but here.

Beborani
December 23rd, 2015, 01:43 PM
Bubastis, three months of minoxidil is not enough to see any change. Even if is working it takes at least 5-6 months to see beginings of new hair strands. It may also accelerate shedding in initial stages of use which sends many users into panic. If you have no other side effects it is prudent to keep using it as the sheds from minoxidil is part of acceleration of growth cycle which includes shedding of hair in catagen phase. It is hard not to panic or worry but give it time.

bubastis
December 23rd, 2015, 02:19 PM
Thank you Beborani,I am really trying not to panic but it is so hard. I do see a lot of baby hairs but not nearly enough to replace what I have lost already. I guess I could deal with that but since it is still falling out so badly I can't see how it could improve...there are areas where I can clearly see my scalp now.I plan to keep up with the minox and I understand that it takes time,but I read everywhere that the initial increase in shedding should last only about a month or so? I'm so scared that this will go on for a couple more months and by then I will definitely need to consider a wig :(

vpatt
December 23rd, 2015, 02:45 PM
Thank you Beborani,I am really trying not to panic but it is so hard. I do see a lot of baby hairs but not nearly enough to replace what I have lost already. I guess I could deal with that but since it is still falling out so badly I can't see how it could improve...there are areas where I can clearly see my scalp now.I plan to keep up with the minox and I understand that it takes time,but I read everywhere that the initial increase in shedding should last only about a month or so? I'm so scared that this will go on for a couple more months and by then I will definitely need to consider a wig :(

I'm so sorry this is happening to you, I do understand. I cried everyday, too. Mine stopped on its own and while I think it has begun to thicken a tiny bit, it is not as thick as it once was. I am not seeing new growth yet with PurD'or shampoo......many say it stopped their shedding. (I had stopped shedding before buying it). Maybe you can try it? Hugs, I know how devastating this is. I still see my scalp more than I like.

spidermom
December 23rd, 2015, 02:58 PM
Good news! It now only takes 35 minutes to blow-dry my hair instead of 60 minutes.

I've shed from iii to ii since my father's death. I wonder if I'll end up at i. I'm still gathering up many hairs every time I comb or wash/condition.

papayatree
December 23rd, 2015, 03:25 PM
Good news! It now only takes 35 minutes to blow-dry my hair instead of 60 minutes.

I've shed from iii to ii since my father's death. I wonder if I'll end up at i. I'm still gathering up many hairs every time I comb or wash/condition.

Wow Spidermom that is a amazing. I am amazed at how this thread takes such a sad topic like thinning, and finds a positive thing to lighten up the situation. I am impressed by how friendly LHC is! :blossom: fore everyone!

Beborani
December 23rd, 2015, 03:43 PM
My 20-something daughter is going through extra sheds this last few months and I can see it has thinned visibly enough to be concerned but she is too busy with her life to be so perhaps that is a blessing. Her hair is already fine and on thin side (very different from mine) but I hope it is temporary and will self-correct. I have no control over her eating habits or her stress situation so I just wait and watch.

Neoma
December 23rd, 2015, 08:27 PM

I suspect that the shedding will stop and you'll regrow at least some of the hair that you've lost, spidermom. :grouphug:

beefox
December 25th, 2015, 09:20 PM
Before I joined this forum I read this entire thread. I can say with genuine empathy that I know how horrible it is and what a psychological toll it can take on you to experience shedding. I had the perfect storm that led up to chunks of my hair falling out. For two years I had sewn in hair extensions which I got done regularly. I knew it was damaging my hair but at the time, I did not care. I then, bleached my hair white blonde and had a eating disorder relapse. I had so much going on that I didn't care about my hair enough to start combating what was happening. As I started to regain health I realized what I had done and was devastated. I had thick hair as a child and teenager and now I could see my scalp. I had bald patches. I had to do something. Over the last year and a half I've done so much research and started to be proactive on getting my hair back. So far, what I've seen working is:

-Vitamins(Biotin,Vit E, BioSil)
-Exercise
-Twice a week essential oil massages(I can post the recipe if anyone is interested)
-Washing my hair twice a week
-No tight hair styles
-No hair color
-Very minimal heat tools(occasional blow drying, no flat irons)
-eating lots of greens and protein

It's a very slow process but it seems to be working. I've considered Minoxidil but I don't want to make a commitment to it. I'm also a little freaked out by the side effects (I read somewhere that it can start aging your face?). I still have days where I feel self conscious or see someone with beautiful hair and get jealous. Recovery is a slow road. I know it can sometimes seem hopeless, but don't stop trying!

Swan Maiden
December 26th, 2015, 12:03 PM
I'm still shedding. It slowed down for a bit, but now it is back up. I'm so over this.

Pat
December 26th, 2015, 12:20 PM
I am right there with you ladies.... since I moved to Arizona 5 years ago, my hair has been a mess. My fine hair has thinned so much I sometimes feel like shaving it all off .... or at least cutting it short but I can't do it .... I think the problem is not the shedding but the hair not growing back ....I really don't know what to do! Aloe vera nightly for the last week has stopped the shedding and I am down to 10 to 15 strands when I wash. I'm hoping it will help some hair grow back. I can't do Minox because my cats sleep on my pillow an Minox is lethal for them. Viviscal didn't do much for me either.... :rolleyes: Well, that's it.... end of the rant! Thanks for letting me vent!

On a more serious note, volumizing mouse makes my hair look thicker but when I comb it or run my fingers through it, it either breaks or sheds because I lose strands and that is not fun because the mouse does make it look good! Any suggestions to solve this?

Neoma
December 26th, 2015, 01:57 PM
Before I joined this forum I read this entire thread. I can say with genuine empathy that I know how horrible it is and what a psychological toll it can take on you to experience shedding. I had the perfect storm that led up to chunks of my hair falling out. For two years I had sewn in hair extensions which I got done regularly. I knew it was damaging my hair but at the time, I did not care. I then, bleached my hair white blonde and had a eating disorder relapse. I had so much going on that I didn't care about my hair enough to start combating what was happening. As I started to regain health I realized what I had done and was devastated. I had thick hair as a child and teenager and now I could see my scalp. I had bald patches. I had to do something. Over the last year and a half I've done so much research and started to be proactive on getting my hair back. So far, what I've seen working is:

-Vitamins(Biotin,Vit E, BioSil)
-Exercise
-Twice a week essential oil massages(I can post the recipe if anyone is interested)
-Washing my hair twice a week
-No tight hair styles
-No hair color
-Very minimal heat tools(occasional blow drying, no flat irons)
-eating lots of greens and protein

It's a very slow process but it seems to be working. I've considered Minoxidil but I don't want to make a commitment to it. I'm also a little freaked out by the side effects (I read somewhere that it can start aging your face?). I still have days where I feel self conscious or see someone with beautiful hair and get jealous. Recovery is a slow road. I know it can sometimes seem hopeless, but don't stop trying!beefox, it sounds like you have a good recovery routine in place. I'm glad that you found this forum and this thread. :flower:

I'm still shedding. It slowed down for a bit, but now it is back up. I'm so over this.I'm so sorry to hear that, Swan Maiden. I totally understand. :grouphug:

I am right there with you ladies.... since I moved to Arizona 5 years ago, my hair has been a mess. My fine hair has thinned so much I sometimes feel like shaving it all off .... or at least cutting it short but I can't do it .... I think the problem is not the shedding but the hair not growing back ....I really don't know what to do! Aloe vera nightly for the last week has stopped the shedding and I am down to 10 to 15 strands when I wash. I'm hoping it will help some hair grow back. I can't do Minox because my cats sleep on my pillow an Minox is lethal for them. Viviscal didn't do much for me either.... :rolleyes: Well, that's it.... end of the rant! Thanks for letting me vent!

On a more serious note, volumizing mouse makes my hair look thicker but when I comb it or run my fingers through it, it either breaks or sheds because I lose strands and that is not fun because the mouse does make it look good! Any suggestions to solve this?
Pat, I understand the temptation to cut. Believe me, I have considered doing so in the past. Some wise LHC friends reminded me that if I did, I'd still have thin hair... It would just be short thin hair. :flower:

meteor
December 26th, 2015, 02:08 PM
Hi, guys! Big hugs to everyone struggling with the great shed now! :grouphug: I wish everyone a great New Year 2016, with lots of new regrowth and restored thickness and length! :cheer: :love:

I have a question about anemia, and specifically its genetic component (for italiancouture7, for example, and for anybody else, as I think we had a few other members who mentioned it): how did your doctor find out that it was genetic in your case and get it checked? The thing is, my doctor can't seem to find any specific reason for my chronic anemia, and I keep worrying about not knowing the cause, and I'd love to know if there is an underlying reason. Thank you very much! :flowers:

And Happy Holidays! :toast:

Pat
December 27th, 2015, 09:56 PM
You are right Neoma, that's what I keep on telling myself ! I think short thin hair would be harder to deal with :D

majesticgoldenr
December 29th, 2015, 01:28 PM
Does anyone use essential oils?

I really do need to get some more but I'm not sure what you all have found to be reliable. I have seen a few different recipes on here too, and all I want is to stimulate the scalp so some more hairs pop up like everyone else.... Ive never gotten mint to give me the tingly feeling but its in most of the blends. Also I have seen nettle, cedarwood, and rosemary as popular ones, but am looking for a second opinion.

What is recommended?

beefox
December 29th, 2015, 02:14 PM
I use this recipe from hairyscalp.com:

One teaspoon of vitamin E, you can buy vitamin E oil, four tablespoons of coconut oil, one teaspoon of castor oil, half a teaspoon of peppermint oil and one teaspoon of tea tree oil.

Melt the coconut oil in a very clean saucepan, use very low heat, then add your vitamin E oil, let the liquid melt and get homogenous, then add the remaining oils, you should turn off the heat now.

Stir until the liquid is completely homogenous, then let it cool down for at least two hours.

I apply it twice a week and wash it out after about 45 minutes. Make sure you get all of it out or your hair will get super greasy. Otherwise, it makes my hair feel really healthy and soft.

Silverbrumby
December 30th, 2015, 02:08 AM
I'm loving my electric dermal stamping device. My husband thinks I'm crazy but I actually like the pain as it feels like a super stimulating scalp treatment. It's been 4 weeks now and there appears to be less shedding. Time will tell. I swapped out from the manual dermal roller as it did catch my hair and was hard to use. Since starting with the roller 9+ months ago and have noticed a positive difference. So far. It will be interesting to see if I gain any length.

bubastis
December 30th, 2015, 05:00 AM
I don't dare be happy yet, but since the day after I last posted my shed has gone down a bit. It might not be much,but I went from 85 hairs a day to about 60...I so hope this lasts and goes down a bit more,but I'm still so afraid it's going to go back up again. What is your opinion on what constitutes 'normal' shedding? I read up to a 100 hairs,but that seems VERY excessive to me and losing 85 a day left me with significant thinning :confused:

Nique1202
December 30th, 2015, 05:09 AM
I don't dare be happy yet, but since the day after I last posted my shed has gone down a bit. It might not be much,but I went from 85 hairs a day to about 60...I so hope this lasts and goes down a bit more,but I'm still so afraid it's going to go back up again. What is your opinion on what constitutes 'normal' shedding? I read up to a 100 hairs,but that seems VERY excessive to me and losing 85 a day left me with significant thinning :confused:

I think "normal" shedding is very individual. If you're used to your hair shedding 50 hairs a day and it goes up to 90 and you start thinning, that's not normal for you even if it's within the accepted range.

That's the biggest problem with establishing a normal range, whether it's hair shedding or iron levels or whatever else medically: some individuals are always more sensitive to changes than others, so the range works on a whole-population level but not on a personal level all the time. If 85 sheds a day is causing thinning on you after having stable thickness, that's definitely not your normal.

renia22
December 30th, 2015, 09:30 AM
A
Does anyone use essential oils?

I really do need to get some more but I'm not sure what you all have found to be reliable. I have seen a few different recipes on here too, and all I want is to stimulate the scalp so some more hairs pop up like everyone else.... Ive never gotten mint to give me the tingly feeling but its in most of the blends. Also I have seen nettle, cedarwood, and rosemary as popular ones, but am looking for a second opinion.

What is recommended?

There was a study done a while back that used Rosemary, lavender, thyme and cedarwood eos in a base of jojoba and grape seed oils, that was said to help with hair growth. I tried it and it made my shedding a lot worse, but I don't do well with scalp oilings or certain eos. Makes my shedding worse. But maybe others would like it. Personally, I've had success with pure aloe with a drop or two of rosemary eo, dabbed gently on the scalp in the evening, and washed out the next morning. I use Mountain Rose Herbs brand for both. Helps reduce my shedding.

Hi, guys! Big hugs to everyone struggling with the great shed now! :grouphug: I wish everyone a great New Year 2016, with lots of new regrowth and restored thickness and length! :cheer: :love:

I have a question about anemia, and specifically its genetic component (for italiancouture7, for example, and for anybody else, as I think we had a few other members who mentioned it): how did your doctor find out that it was genetic in your case and get it checked? The thing is, my doctor can't seem to find any specific reason for my chronic anemia, and I keep worrying about not knowing the cause, and I'd love to know if there is an underlying reason. Thank you very much! :flowers:

And Happy Holidays! :toast:

Not sure if this would be relevant for you or anyone else here, but I'll mention it anyways just in case. If there is an issue with vitamin absorption and all other options have been exhausted (food allergies like gluten intolerance, some other underlying medical issue, iron is being taken in a highly absorbable form, on an empty stomach with vitamin c, cast iron skillet is being used, iron rich foods eaten, etc and still anemic), sometimes the issue can be lack of stomach acid. Which sounds weird since we hear so much about problems people have with excess stomach acid, like acid reflux, etc, but as we age, we tend to produce less, and this can contribute to vitamins & minerals not being broken down and absorbed properly. I've never heard a conventional doctor mention this, but Naturopaths should be knowledgeable on the topic and can do a supervised betaine HCL (a supplement that's taken with food in specific doses & increased increments for proper safe dosage) trial to see if that helps with absorption. Maybe that would be something to look into?

beefox
December 30th, 2015, 10:22 AM
I don't mean this in a judging way at all, so please don't take it that way. Are a lot of you counting hairs that have been shed? or are those rough estimates?

lillielil
December 30th, 2015, 10:31 AM
I don't mean this in a judging way at all, so please don't take it that way. Are a lot of you counting hairs that have been shed? or are those rough estimates?

Not every day, but once a month or so I do count. I do this by combing out my hair very thoroughly in the shower with conditioner and getting all the loose hair out. I then bun it damp without detangling/combing/brushing first and leave it alone. The next day I wash and detangle again, and all the sheds that come out are from the previous 24-hour period. I stick them all up on the shower wall individually and count them up. It is rare that any make it to the hair catcher over the shower drain (I usually grab shed hairs and stick them on the wall in a clump anyway because I don't want them clogging up the drain), so I think I am getting a pretty accurate count.

Silverbrumby
December 30th, 2015, 10:40 AM

I use to but now I can judge by looking. I'm also us to a build up of shed hair if I've barely touched it between washes.

bubastis
December 30th, 2015, 03:05 PM
I do count every day and I believe it's pretty accurate since I wear it up all of the time. I plan to keep counting for a good while even if this shed ends to establish what my 'normal' shed rate is.

meteor
December 30th, 2015, 03:58 PM
Not sure if this would be relevant for you or anyone else here, but I'll mention it anyways just in case. If there is an issue with vitamin absorption and all other options have been exhausted (food allergies like gluten intolerance, some other underlying medical issue, iron is being taken in a highly absorbable form, on an empty stomach with vitamin c, cast iron skillet is being used, iron rich foods eaten, etc and still anemic), sometimes the issue can be lack of stomach acid. Which sounds weird since we hear so much about problems people have with excess stomach acid, like acid reflux, etc, but as we age, we tend to produce less, and this can contribute to vitamins & minerals not being broken down and absorbed properly. I've never heard a conventional doctor mention this, but Naturopaths should be knowledgeable on the topic and can do a supervised betaine HCL (a supplement that's taken with food in specific doses & increased increments for proper safe dosage) trial to see if that helps with absorption. Maybe that would be something to look into?

Thanks a bunch, renia22! :flowers: That's a very good point. :agree: I haven't had my stomach acid status tested, but you are absolutely right, things like that can interfere with absorption dramatically.
That's part of the reason why it's recommended to take iron with orange juice or diluted lemon juice or diluted ACV... always something acidic to help with absorption. And, ironically, taking diluted ACV/lemon juice before or during meals can actually help with acid reflux in the long run in many cases... I'll try to keep this in mind! Thank you! :D

renia22
December 30th, 2015, 06:45 PM
Thanks a bunch, renia22! :flowers: That's a very good point. :agree: I haven't had my stomach acid status tested, but you are absolutely right, things like that can interfere with absorption dramatically.
That's part of the reason why it's recommended to take iron with orange juice or diluted lemon juice or diluted ACV... always something acidic to help with absorption. And, ironically, taking diluted ACV/lemon juice before or during meals can actually help with acid reflux in the long run in many cases... I'll try to keep this in mind! Thank you! :D

Awesome, hope that helps you! http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/hug/hug-2.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

beefox
January 2nd, 2016, 12:00 PM
In regards to counting hair/having an idea of how much is shedding, it's so satisfying when you notice a decrease. I'm not holding my breath that this is the end, but it's nice to see improvement.

Brunettebybirth
January 2nd, 2016, 12:13 PM
Thought I'd share some progress. This is a photo of my baby hairs way in the front of my part that have begun to "sprout". Also, my eyebrows were quite thin from too much waxing, and they are finally filling in. Happy. 😁

http://i63.tinypic.com/25ur22q.jpg

Stars
January 2nd, 2016, 12:44 PM
In response to meteor's question about how one would find out their anemia is genetic (for some reason, the quote didn't post in my reply):

In my case, I have Sickle Cell Anemia, which is similar to Thalassemia, so that is how I know mine is genetic. I'm actually at risk for iron overload due to the number of blood transfusions I have had in my life...my anemia is due to a lack of enough red blood cells, and the ones I do have are not optimal for carrying enough oxygen (hemoglobin S instead of hemoglobin A). It's a genetic condition that one can only be born with.

It affects the entire body, wherever blood flows, of course, so I do have periods of increased shedding sometimes, as well as dry skin that tends to be very sensitive. Oiling with essential and carrier oils and taking good supplements help me tremendously. My doctor found out what type I have, which is Hemoglobin SS-F (F=high fetal hemoglobin, though most adults do not have much fetal hemoglobin...fetal hemoglobin actually counteracts the hemoglobin S and prevents sickling of red blood cells). I'm very fortunate to have high fetal hemoglobin.

A hemoglobin electrophoresis can tell a person what type of Thalassemia or Sickle Cell Anemia/Sickle Cell Disorder they have. A regular blood test or CBC (complete blood count) where the blood is viewed under microscope will also diagnose it. Ovalocytes Disorder/Elliptocytosis is similar, and is also diagnosed with a peripheral blood smear...it is genetic as well. Most of the blood disorders are hereditary, but some can arise from exposure to toxins and/or radiation.

Stars
January 2nd, 2016, 12:53 PM
Anyone using the Nioxin System for hair loss/thinning? I've considered using it as a maintenance product...I'm recovering from my postopartum shed in early 2013 and also from increased shedding last fall (2014) due to several surgical procedures (I have heard surgery and anesthesia can cause hair loss and thinning). Would like to try the Aveda Invati system, but it is very expensive. If Nioxin is just as good, I would prefer to try that first.

Neoma
January 2nd, 2016, 01:24 PM
Anyone using the Nioxin System for hair loss/thinning? I've considered using it as a maintenance product...I'm recovering from my postopartum shed in early 2013 and also from increased shedding last fall (2014) due to several surgical procedures (I have heard surgery and anesthesia can cause hair loss and thinning). Would like to try the Aveda Invati system, but it is very expensive. If Nioxin is just as good, I would prefer to try that first.
Hi Stars,

It's funny that you should ask this... After my first Great Shed, I did use Nioxin. (I also used Invati, which I loved, but couldn't justify the high price on an ongoing basis.) I liked Nioxin very much. It smells great -- peppermint and menthol. The conditioner has cones, which I like, because my hair tangles terribly. Moreover, I am certain that it helped me to regrow lots of hair.

I quit using Nioxin because the back of my neck started breaking out. In retrospect, I believe this was from the leave-in scalp treatment, not from the shampoo and conditioner. I was at Ricky's (a local beauty supply chain) today, and they had Nioxin liters on sale. I'm considering going back to buy some tomorrow.

meteor
January 2nd, 2016, 01:25 PM
Brunettebybirth, congratulations on new growth! :joy: That's awesome news!

Stars, thank you so very much for that detailed information! :flowers: I'm so happy you have high fetal hemoglobin! And it sounds like you and your doctor are on top of the issue, which is great! :thumbsup: I hope your thickness will recover completely. :pray:
Yes, I think illness, surgery and anesthesia can trigger telogen effluvium temporarily (http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/hair-loss-women-14/hair-loss-hidden-causes). I've tried Nioxin a long time ago, but I stopped since it was super drying for my hair (even though I used System 3, which is the more moisturizing kind, I believe). They have a ton of different systems, so it might be a bit of a challenge to figure out which one is the best to try, but they do offer a consultation on their website to figure it out. I wonder what results other people got. :)

moxamoll
January 2nd, 2016, 01:50 PM
My mom was visiting, so I had her take a look and she says there are a few baby hairs popping up! It's not a lot yet, but it's a start. :happydance:

vpatt
January 2nd, 2016, 04:07 PM
Yay for all the new hair popping up!

hennalonghair
January 2nd, 2016, 04:44 PM
Yay for all the new hair popping up!

Yayyyyy vpatt. I was hoping you'd see some results soon.
I'm so happy for you.:cheer:

Neoma
January 2nd, 2016, 04:56 PM
My mom was visiting, so I had her take a look and she says there are a few baby hairs popping up! It's not a lot yet, but it's a start. :happydance:

That's great news, moxamoll! Each baby hair is cause for celebration! :cheer: :disco: :cheer

hennalonghair
January 2nd, 2016, 04:57 PM
A

There was a study done a while back that used Rosemary, lavender, thyme and cedarwood eos in a base of jojoba and grape seed oils, that was said to help with hair growth. I tried it and it made my shedding a lot worse, but I don't do well with scalp oilings or certain eos. Makes my shedding worse. But maybe others would like it. Personally, I've had success with pure aloe with a drop or two of rosemary eo, dabbed gently on the scalp in the evening, and washed out the next morning. I use Mountain Rose Herbs brand for both. Helps reduce my shedding.

This is extremely helpful accurate info. Most people think if they've got acid reflux that they need to avoid acidic substances or it will make it worse but nothing could be further from the truth. Drinking diluted lemon juice or ACV is exceptionally healthy for these types of stomach problems and also greatly helps in creating a healthy pH balance in the body which is essential for good health . It's also one of the best and simplest ways to help stabilize blood sugar and has been proven to help with people struggling with weight loss. ( not that weight loss is the subject matter but it's not a bad side effect either)
It's necessary for iron absorption for sure.

vpatt
January 4th, 2016, 10:02 AM
Yayyyyy vpatt. I was hoping you'd see some results soon.
I'm so happy for you.:cheer:

Oh no. I meant yay for others who are having new growth. I don't see any yet, but I am losing such a small number of hairs since the big shed, what do you think that means? Do you think new hair always comes in in big haloes? Or can it come in a hair here or there in the same way we usually lose hairs? I have honestly stopped worrying about the loss/regrowth and I just expect it to come back, lol.

Sorry I didn't realise how my post sounded.

bubastis
January 6th, 2016, 04:19 AM
My shed is still somewhat down from what it was so yay! I'm hoping these are the first signs of it finally tapering off and I can see new baby hairs as well. Hooray for everyone who is seeing improvement :joy: and for those who aren't: hang in there,it will get better.

Brunettebybirth
January 6th, 2016, 05:33 AM
My shed is still somewhat down from what it was so yay! I'm hoping these are the first signs of it finally tapering off and I can see new baby hairs as well. Hooray for everyone who is seeing improvement :joy: and for those who aren't: hang in there,it will get better.

Great to hear this, bubastis! Hooray for baby hairs!! :cheer:

hennalonghair
January 6th, 2016, 07:10 AM
To be brutally honest vpatt I don't know. My guess is that everyone is different. The fact that your shedding has slowed down is certainly a good indication . My major shedding stopped and then I had a lot of hair that grew back all at once. There's no doubting that for me because I have all kinds of little hairs growing in that are very close in length and no longer have the wider part line BUT in saying that my hair is genetically thicker than yours so I would have expected more hair to grow back.
It's good that you stopped worrying about it because additional stress can cause hair fall out.
Oh no. I meant yay for others who are having new growth. I don't see any yet, but I am losing such a small number of hairs since the big shed, what do you think that means? Do you think new hair always comes in in big haloes? Or can it come in a hair here or there in the same way we usually lose hairs? I have honestly stopped worrying about the loss/regrowth and I just expect it to come back, lol.

Sorry I didn't realise how my post sounded.

vpatt
January 6th, 2016, 08:41 AM
To be brutally honest vpatt I don't know. My guess is that everyone is different. The fact that your shedding has slowed down is certainly a good indication . My major shedding stopped and then I had a lot of hair that grew back all at once. There's no doubting that for me because I have all kinds of little hairs growing in that are very close in length and no longer have the wider part line BUT in saying that my hair is genetically thicker than yours so I would have expected more hair to grow back.
It's good that you stopped worrying about it because additional stress can cause hair fall out.

It has been over a year now since my big shed and really I hardly lose any hair at all when I wash or detangle since the shed ended. I did have one of those bigger growth spurts that resulted in a halo......but I didn't notice it until it was at least a couple inches long. I don't see any thing like that now but honestly with my vision it is harder to see until it is longer. I will still do the happy hair halo dance if I have another growth spurt like that and I will be upset with another big shed. But other than than it is good now.

It has been two months since I began using the PurD'or shampoo. It makes my scalp and hair feel great. I believe they say to give it three or maybe four months for regrowth.......I don't remember for sure.

Stars
January 6th, 2016, 11:24 AM
Thank you, Neoma for your reply! I have considered using it for a couple years...I think I'm going to give it a try! I'm glad you had nice results from it! I've used a line called "Nutrifolica" sold on EBay with a lot of success...It is also called "Hair Renew" and sold by a number of sellers. It is all natural, has DHT blockers, and a little goes a long way. There is a shampoo, conditioner, and serum or scalp tonic...I have used the shampoo and and the scalp tonic off and on since 2010. I hope you continue to see great results from Nioxin. I'm going to pick up a set...I think I need System 3 from what I have read.

Thanks, meteor! Yes, we are on top of it, fortunately! I am glad my labs have stabilized, but I seem to be battling persistent low calcium and low vitamin D. My parathyroid hormone (PTH) is responding appropriately to the low calcium by being high, so my endocrine system seems to be working properly. I just can't seem to get enough of either from my diet and supplements. I'm thinking I need to increase my calcium and vitamin D even more, (I also take cod liver oil), but I am concerned because a large European study detailed that women who took too much calcium were actually at higher risk for hip fractures over time.

I appreciate your compliment! I hope your's does too! How are you recovering? Notice any new growth? I haven't visually checked my new growth get, but I can tell that I have some just by feel. I have to have two wisdom teeth extracted soon (very painful and problematic, and are causing headaches--my other two on the left are perfectly fine)...so I hope the surgery and/or anesthesia do not cause additional telogen effluvium. I'm going to front load with more MSM than usual to see if that might help! I do have to have a transfusion beforehand due to the amount of blood loss that can occur with wisdom tooth extraction, as well as prophylactic antibiotic therapy. Hoping that none of the medications cause additional shedding. It seems to be in check for now.

I'm excited for all you ladies noticing new hair! Wonderful!

Stars
January 6th, 2016, 11:31 AM
This is extremely helpful accurate info. Most people think if they've got acid reflux that they need to avoid acidic substances or it will make it worse but nothing could be further from the truth. Drinking diluted lemon juice or ACV is exceptionally healthy for these types of stomach problems and also greatly helps in creating a healthy pH balance in the body which is essential for good health . It's also one of the best and simplest ways to help stabilize blood sugar and has been proven to help with people struggling with weight loss. ( not that weight loss is the subject matter but it's not a bad side effect either)
It's necessary for iron absorption for sure.

Absolutely right! Cinnamon is also wonderful for blood sugar control.

Brunettebybirth
January 7th, 2016, 05:43 AM
Went to go see my dermatologist the other day, and he was happy with my progress. I hadn't seen him since before my regrowth started coming in. He definitely said there is lots of regrowth happening all over my scalp at this point. Even way underneath which is hard for me to see. Very reassuring. He also mentioned that overall my hair looked and felt much softer, silkier and healthier than the last appointment. Makes me glad I didn't chop my hair before trying the supplements. My scalp is in better condition this time too. The only thing he kept reminding me of was the regrowth is going to take several months to really fill in and plump up my hair. He seems to think I can regain my original thickness of ii in the front and iii in the back. Right now, I'm i in the front and ii in the back. Although I'd be happy with ii overall honestly. Something that he noticed was that the few grays I had (less than 5) before are gone. My color seems darker and richer from what he could tell. Although genetically gray hair doesn't run in my family. And finally, he took photos of my progress so we can properly judge if what we are doing is working. He wants to see me back in a couple more months because he feels the regrowth will be a bit longer and stronger then. Overall, I'm happy but I have to work on being patient with this whole process. Here's to all of us growing healthy hair! :grouphug:

hennalonghair
January 7th, 2016, 04:47 PM
Absolutely right! Cinnamon is also wonderful for blood sugar control.
It sure is and so affordable too. I happen to like inexpensive simple all natural solutions.

beefox
January 7th, 2016, 06:08 PM
Brunettebybirth, thats so awesome!!! :D

Teufelchen
January 8th, 2016, 03:51 AM
Happy new year everyone,

for all of us that are still suffering, best wishes for the new year.

I have some good news. My shedding is back to normal. And I have tons of baby hairs. :happydance:

I switched my shampoo for the eliah sahil regular one and it made a difference. Maybe I am going to experiment with herbal washes. I also used a lot of scalp toners and massage. I don't know what worked and if anything worked, it might just have been a seasonal shed, but I usually have none, so I don't really know.

The only thing I can say is that I wish all of you a similar experience this year.

brunettebybirth, that is such a good message :happydance:

Brunettebybirth
January 8th, 2016, 04:38 AM
Thanks, beefox! :grin:

Teufelchen: Those baby hairs are a cause to rejoice, aren't they? And normal shedding is great news too. :happydance:

Teufelchen
January 13th, 2016, 02:32 AM
Brunettebybirth, I hope so.
I guess it was really only stress induced.

Agnieszka
January 13th, 2016, 11:35 AM
I think couple of you might be interested that I managed to rise my ferritin from 30 to 70 in just two months by using iron tablet with vitamin c last thing before sleep, two hours after food and liquid iron supplement (Floradix in UK) first thing in the morning 30 min before food to maximise absorption. I think taking it on empty stomach makes a difference.

Annalouise
January 13th, 2016, 12:28 PM
I think couple of you might be interested that I managed to rise my ferritin from 30 to 70 in just two months by using iron tablet with vitamin c last thing before sleep, two hours after food and liquid iron supplement (Floradix in UK) first thing in the morning 30 min before food to maximise absorption. I think taking it on empty stomach makes a difference.

That' great!:cheer: I've also noticed my hair falls out less now that I take iron everyday. I haven't taken the liquid form though...:hmm:

Annalouise
January 13th, 2016, 12:30 PM

Sorry, I forgot to ask you... have you noticed any other health changes since taking iron?

Annalouise
January 13th, 2016, 12:32 PM
Neoma - I was wondering how you are doing with the Aveda hair products for thinning hair? Are you still using it and are you happy with it?:puppy:

JillRenee
January 13th, 2016, 12:55 PM
Hello to everyone, i was directed to this thread by Lapushka. I experienced a lot of shedding in 2015, which I attribute to a huge amount of stress, lack of sleep, and not eating. The thread is long with a lot of ideas, what if I tried one thing at a time to see what works? It would take a long time, but patience is required anyway to have long hair.

Agnieszka
January 13th, 2016, 03:01 PM
Sorry, I forgot to ask you... have you noticed any other health changes since taking iron?

Hi Annalouise, I think just the tablet at night would do the trick as Floradix liquid has very little iron in it (just 15mg). The night iron pill has 210mg of ferrous fumerate iron so I think this was the main thing which caused my ferritin levels to improve.

Yes!!! I've definitely noticed a change since taking iron :-) There is no need of nap during the day, I'm just not tired! I always,like whole my life used to feel tired and had no energy. Also I get lots of compliments that my hair got thicker. I see it myself actually. It's not that strands got thicker but just my scalp is showing less than in the past.

How about you? Have you noticed any other health changes too? What is your ferritin level?

Neoma
January 13th, 2016, 05:12 PM
Neoma - I was wondering how you are doing with the Aveda hair products for thinning hair? Are you still using it and are you happy with it?:puppy:

Annalouise, no, I'm not still using Aveda's Invati line. I shared about this a few places in the thread... The bottom line is that, while I believe that these are excellent products, I couldn't get over the sticker shock.

I've mainly been following a CWC routine using Toadstool (https://www.etsy.com/shop/toadstoolsoaps?ref=ss_profile)products:

* Toadstool shampoo -- scalp only
* Some kind of cheaper, cone-free conditioner -- length only
* Toadstool conditioner -- all over

There's a Toadstool thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57726) in case you would like more info on this excellent product line.

I've also been taking biotin, iron and a good multi vitamin.

And I've been off of the medication that started the hair loss for about six months (I think).

My hair loss has slowed dramatically -- it's no longer coming out in hands full.

I see a significant improvement in the thickness of my hair at the crown, which is where the loss was most apparent.

:flower:

Annalouise
January 14th, 2016, 10:55 AM
Hi Annalouise, I think just the tablet at night would do the trick as Floradix liquid has very little iron in it (just 15mg). The night iron pill has 210mg of ferrous fumerate iron so I think this was the main thing which caused my ferritin levels to improve.

Yes!!! I've definitely noticed a change since taking iron :-) There is no need of nap during the day, I'm just not tired! I always,like whole my life used to feel tired and had no energy. Also I get lots of compliments that my hair got thicker. I see it myself actually. It's not that strands got thicker but just my scalp is showing less than in the past.

How about you? Have you noticed any other health changes too? What is your ferritin level?

Wow, 210 mg that is a lot! I'm not taking anywhere near that level. I have an iron pill that contains 25 mg of Ferrochel ferrous bisglycinate chelate. I don't know what that is to be honest. Plus I get 9mg of ferrous succinate in my multi vit for a total of 34 mg/day.
Maybe I could take more, I'll have to research that. I still get tired a lot. My energy is better but I think it could improve a bit.

Like you I was deadly tired for years and years. I used to get my levels checked by the doctor but he never told me I was low on iron and so I had never supplemented with iron until recently. I was vegan and I went back to eating meat because I was getting more tired on a vegan diet. I don't think I've reached optimal health I'm still trying to make progress in that department.

Congratulations on getting your energy back!:cheer: That is HUGE! And your hair is coming back! Excellent! I'm going to look into increasing my iron and see if I notice a difference. Maybe eating more spinach or spinach everyday or something like that.

Annalouise
January 14th, 2016, 11:05 AM
Annalouise, no, I'm not still using Aveda's Invati line. I shared about this a few places in the thread... The bottom line is that, while I believe that these are excellent products, I couldn't get over the sticker shock.

I've mainly been following a CWC routine using Toadstool (https://www.etsy.com/shop/toadstoolsoaps?ref=ss_profile)products:

* Toadstool shampoo -- scalp only
* Some kind of cheaper, cone-free conditioner -- length only
* Toadstool conditioner -- all over

There's a Toadstool thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57726) in case you would like more info on this excellent product line.

I've also been taking biotin, iron and a good multi vitamin.

And I've been off of the medication that started the hair loss for about six months (I think).

My hair loss has slowed dramatically -- it's no longer coming out in hands full.

I see a significant improvement in the thickness of my hair at the crown, which is where the loss was most apparent.

Yay! :applause good for you for getting control of the situation and stopping the major shedding! The toadstool offers a fragrance free conditioner! That is awesome I've been looking for one of those for a long time. (since I'm limited to fragrance free products).
Thank you so much for suggesting that!
Sorry to hear the Invati was price prohibitive. That is disappointing that they have to set their price so high.
How much iron do you take, and what form is it? I'm not taking biotin. I'll have to look into that.:)

Neoma
January 14th, 2016, 12:26 PM
Yay! :applause good for you for getting control of the situation and stopping the major shedding! The toadstool offers a fragrance free conditioner! That is awesome I've been looking for one of those for a long time. (since I'm limited to fragrance free products).
Thank you so much for suggesting that!
Sorry to hear the Invati was price prohibitive. That is disappointing that they have to set their price so high.
How much iron do you take, and what form is it? I'm not taking biotin. I'll have to look into that.:)

I'm glad I could help, Annalouise. I can't use products with artificial fragrance. And many "natural" fragrances, such as most florals, also set off my migraines. So I get it.

I'm taking 5,000 mcg of biotin. My dermatologist told me to take 3,000, but I can't find that strength, so I just don't take it every day. And I'm taking an over-the-counter brand (Feosol Original) of Ferrous Sulfate. I don't know why I picked up this version; it's hard on my stomach/intestines. They make a version that's easier on your digestive system and it really does make a difference.

rags
January 14th, 2016, 12:56 PM
Neoma, I'm so, so glad to hear that your shed is finally decreasing and that you're seeing some regrowth! :cheer: Six months was the marker for me too. Now i have these two-inch long silver regrowths that stick STRAIGHT UP. :p. I'm not complaining.

Neoma
January 14th, 2016, 01:28 PM
Neoma, I'm so, so glad to hear that your shed is finally decreasing and that you're seeing some regrowth! :cheer: Six months was the marker for me too. Now i have these two-inch long silver regrowths that stick STRAIGHT UP. :p. I'm not complaining.

Thank you, dear rags! :flowers: Congratulations on your silver antennas! That's one of the ways that I know that my hair is growing in... Many of my new hairs, which are now two-three inches long, are silver. I embrace the little guys!

Agnieszka
January 14th, 2016, 01:31 PM
Annalouise I know 210mg sounds like a lot but it was prescribed to me years ago by the doctor when I had similar levels so I thought I just buy it on the internet this time without consultation. In the past I just didn't take it continuously as when I reached better levels I was told to stop. Now I am monitoring my levels so I guess I'm safe. I will continue to check it every two-three months. At the moment I take one tablet once in three days and will see in 2 months how my iron levels look like. If it increases too much then I will just take daily multivitamin or Floradix. There is no way I'm letting my ferritin fall below 70 seeing regrowth and feeling better in general :-)

What I would suggest if you wanted to know if your supplements are working to just test your blood for ferritin levels. Privately in the UK it costs £35 or hopefully your doctor would refer you for one. My current doctor wouldn't do it as he thinks if my iron levels are ok then there is no reason to check ferritin :-(

It's just amazing how low iron can make your life miserable. I remember people saying "you are always tired" etc. I thought it's just how I am but now I really feel different.

Diet is surely important but for some reason my body just wouldn't store iron or wouldn't absorb it properly???! I eat meat once a week (steak or homemade burger), green leafy veggies few times a week, various vegetables everyday, chicken once a week, beans and fish twice a week. It is a good diet I believe but still was not enough iron for me.

If you have low iron you will probably see the difference in couple of months with supplements. Good luck to you!!!!

Agnieszka
January 14th, 2016, 01:41 PM
Neoma, I just noticed your post. I'm very happy for you, great news :-) I hope you will see more and more baby hairs!

Annalouise
January 14th, 2016, 02:21 PM
I'm glad I could help, Annalouise. I can't use products with artificial fragrance. And many "natural" fragrances, such as most florals, also set off my migraines. So I get it.

I'm taking 5,000 mcg of biotin. My dermatologist told me to take 3,000, but I can't find that strength, so I just don't take it every day. And I'm taking an over-the-counter brand (Feosol Original) of Ferrous Sulfate. I don't know why I picked up this version; it's hard on my stomach/intestines. They make a version that's easier on your digestive system and it really does make a difference.

Me too with the headaches from synthetic fragrance, and like you, not all natural fragrances are ok for me either. Did your dermatologist suggest it for your hair or for another reason?

Annalouise I know 210mg sounds like a lot but it was prescribed to me years ago by the doctor when I had similar levels so I thought I just buy it on the internet this time without consultation. In the past I just didn't take it continuously as when I reached better levels I was told to stop. Now I am monitoring my levels so I guess I'm safe. I will continue to check it every two-three months. At the moment I take one tablet once in three days and will see in 2 months how my iron levels look like. If it increases too much then I will just take daily multivitamin or Floradix. There is no way I'm letting my ferritin fall below 70 seeing regrowth and feeling better in general :-)

What I would suggest if you wanted to know if your supplements are working to just test your blood for ferritin levels. Privately in the UK it costs £35 or hopefully your doctor would refer you for one. My current doctor wouldn't do it as he thinks if my iron levels are ok then there is no reason to check ferritin :-(

It's just amazing how low iron can make your life miserable. I remember people saying "you are always tired" etc. I thought it's just how I am but now I really feel different.

Diet is surely important but for some reason my body just wouldn't store iron or wouldn't absorb it properly???! I eat meat once a week (steak or homemade burger), green leafy veggies few times a week, various vegetables everyday, chicken once a week, beans and fish twice a week. It is a good diet I believe but still was not enough iron for me.

If you have low iron you will probably see the difference in couple of months with supplements. Good luck to you!!!!

I think that is a good idea to get it tested. I have malabsorption issues as well as a result of having celiac disease. Thanks for your help!:flower:

Neoma
January 14th, 2016, 02:27 PM
Neoma, I just noticed your post. I'm very happy for you, great news :-) I hope you will see more and more baby hairs!Thank you, Agnieszka! :flowers:

Me too with the headaches from synthetic fragrance, and like you, not all natural fragrances are ok for me either. Did your dermatologist suggest it for your hair or for another reason?

She suggested the biotin and iron for my hair.

vpatt
January 14th, 2016, 04:29 PM
I had a friend complaining about her halo of new hairs and I kept telling her, " No, that's a good thing!!"

Neoma
January 14th, 2016, 04:56 PM
I had a friend complaining about her halo of new hairs and I kept telling her, " No, that's a good thing!!"
Absolutely!

Teufelchen
January 15th, 2016, 01:48 AM
I just read about your improvements, rags and Neoma and I feel so happy for you.

Regrowth is always exciting.

Brunettebybirth
January 15th, 2016, 05:44 AM
Well, I'm having one of the days where the whole "hair thing" is getting me down. I try to remain positive (and patient) but it's hard sometimes. It seems like everywhere I go lately, all I see are women with gorgeous full, thick heads of hair. I'm not jealous persay but sad that I didn't appreciate my hair before all this happened. I realize that it's only been 6-7 weeks since starting the supplements. I am seeing baby hairs but I long for the day when my regrowth is fully grown in. I'm having a difficult time accepting this process is going to take months.

On a positive note, I'm not checking the back of my head in the mirror as often, only once maybe twice a day. And thoughts of hair loss treatments don't occupy my mind like they used too. My family mentioned that I seem calmer now. Idk, it's nice to have a "safe place" to vent my frustrations while going through this.

I'm happy to hear of others in this thread that are seeing new growth and a reduction in shedding. :D

vpatt
January 15th, 2016, 06:25 AM
Brunettebybirth, I understand how you feel. It sounds like you are feeling better in general about your hair and that is great. It is really good to have this LHC site to come to where others understand the feelings we have about our hair. I have calmed down, but I see long thick hair EVERYWHERE, too. It is a relief to not worry so much about my hair thickness and length. Less stress is such a relief, isn't it? I hope your day gets better.
:flowers:

Neoma
January 15th, 2016, 07:26 AM
I just read about your improvements, rags and Neoma and I feel so happy for you.

Regrowth is always exciting.
Thank you, Teufelchen! :flowers:

Silverbrumby
January 15th, 2016, 08:08 AM

I agree vpatt. Two years ago I had a massive shed and now they are all About 8 to 10 inches long. You can still see the new growth line. Congratulations neoma and rags on the new growth.

Neoma
January 15th, 2016, 08:45 AM
I agree vpatt. Two years ago I had a massive shed and now they are all About 8 to 10 inches long. You can still see the new growth line. Congratulations neoma and rags on the new growth.

Thank you, Silverbrumby. :flowers:

meteor
January 15th, 2016, 01:34 PM
Yay, Neoma, rags, congratulations!!! :joy:

A little update from me: My shedding has gone down quite a bit. :D It's still pretty heavy, but I think it's just normal for me to shed little animals every time I detangle. It's certainly much better than what I was experiencing 2 months ago.

Oh definitely! :thumbsup: So nice of you to reassure your friend! :D (Some folks don't know where that sudden halo comes from, sometimes mistaking it for damage or frizz, so it's great that you helped reassure her.)

I realize that it's only been 6-7 weeks since starting the supplements. I am seeing baby hairs but I long for the day when my regrowth is fully grown in. I'm having a difficult time accepting this process is going to take months.

Yay! That's awesome! Congratulations, Brunettebybirth! I hope the regrowth will move downwards fast, but of course it does require quite a bit of patience! :cheer:

Oh yes! The weakness, the fatigue, the cold... can be such a problem with low iron. :agree: Iron supplements can definitely make a huge difference when diet doesn't provide enough, especially for those of us with absorption issues.
This sounds like a great plan, Agnieszka! :D I think you are very smart to rely on different types of iron supplements and to consistently monitor iron levels! :thumbsup:

Neoma, I just noticed that you take biotin and iron. Did you start taking them a while ago or recently? I wonder if it's possible that they also contributed to your recent regrowth spurt or if it was mostly the Aveda Invati products? :)

Brunettebybirth
January 15th, 2016, 02:09 PM
Brunettebybirth, I understand how you feel. It sounds like you are feeling better in general about your hair and that is great. It is really good to have this LHC site to come to where others understand the feelings we have about our hair. I have calmed down, but I see long thick hair EVERYWHERE, too. It is a relief to not worry so much about my hair thickness and length. Less stress is such a relief, isn't it? I hope your day gets better.
:flowers:

Thanks, vpatt. I definitely feel less stressed especially about styling my hair as it does appear a bit thicker now. I'm trying not to compare my hair with other women too as that's just counterproductive.

meteor: I think me being impatient is probably my biggest obstacle right now. My hair didn't thin out overnight, and the baby hairs won't grow longer overnight either. But I am seeing improvements albeit small ones at this point, and that's a step in the right direction.

Oh, and to anyone who is still concerned about shedding...evening primrose oil helped me tremendously. It was the only thing that seemed to "calm it down" like within two weeks if memory serves me correct. And I'm envious of anyone here who can tolerate Biotin because I can't. It's so much more economical than Biosil and is sold practically everywhere too.

Neoma
January 15th, 2016, 05:30 PM
Yay, Neoma, rags, congratulations!!! :joy:
supplements and to consistently monitor iron levels! :thumbsup:

Neoma, I just noticed that you take biotin and iron. Did you start taking them a while ago or recently? I wonder if it's possible that they also contributed to your recent regrowth spurt or if it was mostly the Aveda Invati products? :)Thank you, meteor. :flowers:

I started taking the biotin and iron when I first noticed the shedding due to the med I was on, not recently.

I think the regrowth was due in part to the vitamins/minerals, Invati (which I didn't use very long this time), natural hair care products and, mainly, from quitting the offending med. :flower:

rags
January 15th, 2016, 07:14 PM
Meteor, congratulations on lessening shedding! :cheer: That's great news!

Brunnettebybirth, it's hard to wait for those baby hairs to catch up, isn't it? Every time I get annoyed at mine (I have some regrowth right in the dead front center of my forehead, a decent sized patch, that is insisting on sticking out straight forward like a silver rhinoceros horn!), I remind myself that the patch isn't bald anymore - and magically I'm no longer annoyed. I'm wearing a lot of headbands (which don't want to stay on, but i persevere!) and slicking it down with water - but I'm not annoyed. I'm grateful to have hair, and to still be here to be worried about my rhinoceros horn.

I'm envious not only of those who can take Biotin, but those who can take the iron supplements. My absorption issues are so bad I have to have the infusions periodically. They are not fun. Plus you have to get really low before the insurance will approve them, so I stay on a roller coaster of doing well and then slowly going downhill until I'm sick enough they'll pay for it - and then starting all over again. I'm going to ask my hematologist if I'd have any more luck with the liquid form - I'd not even heard of it until this thread!

MandyBeth
January 15th, 2016, 07:35 PM
Rags - liquid iron is more effective for me, but I still wind up needing infusions. Boo hiss. Then again, I wind up low on about everything some days. Pill supplements are frequently pointless, sublingual work better, liquid works best usually.

I so need to update my info. Post spay, nope. My hair will not grow back. And while part of that is rotten - screw it. I feel a billion times better, I'd rock no hair to feel this ok. And ha, I can wear a braid at shoulder/collarbone length. It's a short, stubby braid - but it's a braid. Vs before, nope. I could barely wrestle everything into a ponytail.

vpatt
January 16th, 2016, 04:22 AM
I am curious if any doctors ever recommend eating liver or other foods with iron instead of taking supplements? Lol, please don't throw things at me, i know liver is not a popular food. And I was thinking that if you are low you may need supplements plus food. I am just wondering. When I follow the AIP it does recommend eating liver. I am only good with chicken liver. They also make "pills" from liver to help with getting more iron. Just wondered as I never hear food mentioned but only supplements.
:couch:

Brunettebybirth
January 16th, 2016, 05:00 AM
rags: If I could wave a magic wand and the baby hairs could be instantly longer, I would. Lol. I have the same thing going on with my regrowth too. A small patch that sticks straight up no matter what I do. Reminds me of when my kids were infants and their hair starting coming in. I've had a few comments from people that assumed that my hair there had broken off but I guess that's understandable because of the short length at this point. I've seen more tiny hairs sprouting along my part in recent days too. As annoying as it is to try to style the baby hairs, it sure beats the alternative. :happydance:

MandyBeth
January 16th, 2016, 06:33 AM
I am curious if any doctors ever recommend eating liver or other foods with iron instead of taking supplements? Lol, please don't throw things at me, i know liver is not a popular food. And I was thinking that if you are low you may need supplements plus food. I am just wondering. When I follow the AIP it does recommend eating liver. I am only good with chicken liver. They also make "pills" from liver to help with getting more iron. Just wondered as I never hear food mentioned but only supplements.
:couch:

*tosses livers*

For me, nope. Partially, it's unlikely to help because I do eat enough iron it seems, but I'm chronically low because of some auto immune mess. But mostly, it's a filter organ. Which is plain nasty, no thank you. Never mind my doctors telling me to avoid it.

vpatt
January 16th, 2016, 07:30 AM
*tosses livers*

For me, nope. Partially, it's unlikely to help because I do eat enough iron it seems, but I'm chronically low because of some auto immune mess. But mostly, it's a filter organ. Which is plain nasty, no thank you. Never mind my doctors telling me to avoid it.

Your doctor tells you not to eat it? I have an autoimmune issue, also. I have never had them tell me much of anything. Please don't think I am judging, I am just really curious and even if my doc tells me my iron is normal I am tempted to supplement. I don't even know if she will do blood work.

Do I understand that there is an iron level and a ferritin level, too?

meteor
January 16th, 2016, 10:51 AM
Thank you, meteor. :flowers:

I started taking the biotin and iron when I first noticed the shedding due to the med I was on, not recently.

I think the regrowth was due in part to the vitamins/minerals, Invati (which I didn't use very long this time), natural hair care products and, mainly, from quitting the offending med. :flower:

Thanks a lot, Neoma! :flowers: That's really great to know! :D I'm so happy that combination is working so well! :cheer:

Meteor, congratulations on lessening shedding! :cheer: That's great news!
(...)
I'm envious not only of those who can take Biotin, but those who can take the iron supplements. My absorption issues are so bad I have to have the infusions periodically. They are not fun. Plus you have to get really low before the insurance will approve them, so I stay on a roller coaster of doing well and then slowly going downhill until I'm sick enough they'll pay for it - and then starting all over again. I'm going to ask my hematologist if I'd have any more luck with the liquid form - I'd not even heard of it until this thread!
Thank you so very much, rags! :smooch:
Oh, most definitely, liquid iron is something to talk to your doctor about and to try out, it should be easier to absorb than tablets, maybe it will work? Intravenous infusions are really tough (in terms of cost, timing, availability - e.g. you may already be super-low but the appointment isn't scheduled yet) and if there is any way to get iron in between those sessions in liquid form, that would be of help. One word of caution: if your doctor does recommend taking liquid form, you might need to protect your teeth, because of staining that can occur, that can be hard to remove over time. Try using a straw or brushing teeth right after drinking it. :)

I agree that diets matter a lot! :agree: And I absolutely love liver for this reason, and I think eating lots of iron-rich foods on iron skillets should help (at least with milder cases of iron deficiency), it's not really common to cook with liver around here, but I think it can taste amazing, sautéed with bell peppers (they are rich in Vit. C, which helps iron absorption) and onions. I think diet is very important... The problem is, I think some folks need a lot more of some micronutrients while others have different needs. For example, I know a few people with genetic hemochromatosis (too much iron is stored, which is dangerous for heart, liver and other internal organs) and some of them are vegan and avoid anything in the diet that could increase iron, they still have too much iron and take iron-chelating medication, and they love to joke around how they should just donate blood to anemics, while anemics should stop exercising :lol: (periodic blood donation is sometimes a recommended pathway for managing hemochromatosis in some cases, while exercise depletes iron stores).

This is a great question!
Serum Iron is not the same as Serum Ferritin, but they are very related.
Total amount of iron stored in the body = serum ferritin level
(Ferritin is an iron-containing protein and is the primary form of iron stored inside cells. The small quantity of ferritin that is released into the blood is a reflection of the amount of total iron stored in the body.)

Serum Iron: Iron contained in blood serum (plasma) is normally bound to the protein transferrin. Each molecule of transferrin can transport two molecules of iron to areas of the body that need this element. Most of the body’s iron (about 60%) is contained in hemoglobin, which is the essential oxygen carrying protein of the blood. Another 30% is stored in ferritin, a protein found throughout the body (although this percentage can be significantly higher or lower in cases of iron overload or deficiency), and a few percent in myoglobin, a protein specifically utilized by muscle cells. When laboratories test for SI, they are testing iron contained in plasma that is generally bound to transferrin.http://www.irondisorders.org/iron-tests/

And there are different tests that are relevant here:
1) Complete Blood Count (first test they do, as part of full check-ups - https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/cbc/tab/sample/):
- Evaluation of white blood cells,
- Evaluation of red blood cells (on this panel, if Hemoglobin shows up low or borderline, they will usually ask for a second test, specific to this issue -> Iron Tests),
- Evaluation of platelets.

2) Iron tests (ordered after CBC - https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/iron/tab/sample/): Serum iron, total iron-binding capacity (TIBC), unsaturated iron-binding capacity (UIBC), and/or transferrin tests, serum ferritin. (Sometimes the doctor will recommend all these tests together, other times just ferritin or whatever the doctor finds most relevant.)

It's kind of a general approach, but there are different testing practices around the world and "normal" ranges for these tests can vary quite a bit.
Sometimes one can have very low iron stores, but hemoglobin shows up normal or borderline, which makes some doctors quickly rule out anemia and not dig any further (not order second-level tests, which could show low iron stores).

vpatt
January 16th, 2016, 12:12 PM
Thanks a lot, Neoma! :flowers: That's really great to know! :D I'm so happy that combination is working so well! :cheer:

Thank you so very much, rags! :smooch:
Oh, most definitely, liquid iron is something to talk to your doctor about and to try out, it should be easier to absorb than tablets, maybe it will work? Intravenous infusions are really tough (in terms of cost, timing, availability - e.g. you may already be super-low but the appointment isn't scheduled yet) and if there is any way to get iron in between those sessions in liquid form, that would be of help. One word of caution: if your doctor does recommend taking liquid form, you might need to protect your teeth, because of staining that can occur, that can be hard to remove over time. Try using a straw or brushing teeth right after drinking it. :)

I agree that diets matter a lot! :agree: And I absolutely love liver for this reason, and I think eating lots of iron-rich foods on iron skillets should help (at least with milder cases of iron deficiency), it's not really common to cook with liver around here, but I think it can taste amazing, sautéed with bell peppers (they are rich in Vit. C, which helps iron absorption) and onions. I think diet is very important... The problem is, I think some folks need a lot more of some micronutrients while others have different needs. For example, I know a few people with genetic hemochromatosis (too much iron is stored, which is dangerous for heart, liver and other internal organs) and some of them are vegan and avoid anything in the diet that could increase iron, they still have too much iron and take iron-chelating medication, and they love to joke around how they should just donate blood to anemics, while anemics should stop exercising :lol: (periodic blood donation is sometimes a recommended pathway for managing hemochromatosis in some cases, while exercise depletes iron stores).

This is a great question!
Serum Iron is not the same as Serum Ferritin, but they are very related.
Total amount of iron stored in the body = serum ferritin level
(Ferritin is an iron-containing protein and is the primary form of iron stored inside cells. The small quantity of ferritin that is released into the blood is a reflection of the amount of total iron stored in the body.)

http://www.irondisorders.org/iron-tests/

And there are different tests that are relevant here:
1) Complete Blood Count (first test they do, as part of full check-ups - https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/cbc/tab/sample/):
- Evaluation of white blood cells,
- Evaluation of red blood cells (on this panel, if Hemoglobin shows up low or borderline, they will usually ask for a second test, specific to this issue -> Iron Tests),
- Evaluation of platelets.

2) Iron tests (ordered after CBC - https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/iron/tab/sample/): Serum iron, total iron-binding capacity (TIBC), unsaturated iron-binding capacity (UIBC), and/or transferrin tests, serum ferritin. (Sometimes the doctor will recommend all these tests together, other times just ferritin or whatever the doctor finds most relevant.)

It's kind of a general approach, but there are different testing practices around the world and "normal" ranges for these tests can vary quite a bit.
Sometimes one can have very low iron stores, but hemoglobin shows up normal or borderline, which makes some doctors quickly rule out anemia and not dig any further (not order second-level tests, which could show low iron stores).

Thank you, Meteor, for sharing your knowledge!

MandyBeth
January 16th, 2016, 12:55 PM
Your doctor tells you not to eat it? I have an autoimmune issue, also. I have never had them tell me much of anything. Please don't think I am judging, I am just really curious and even if my doc tells me my iron is normal I am tempted to supplement. I don't even know if she will do blood work.

Yeah. Mostly because I've got a lot of issues and my liver and kidneys are frequently grumpy as such. Thus, I'm not supposed to eat filter organs. Plus, since I can't do well on swallowed iron or a lot of beans and spinach, it's likely a worthless attempt. I'm taking 210 mg subliminal daily and still need an infusion every 6-8 weeks.

Cutting gluten did nothing for me. If anything, I got worse because more soy snuck in. Strongly limiting soy however is a major help. If I don't, I will need infusion every 3 weeks. At some point, a lot of my issues are probably from 30 years on methotrexate. It's not a nice drug, but RA is worse. I think.

And all of this is better than before Benlysta and my spay and spleen removal. That was weekly infusion and I still had extremely low levels.

meteor
January 16th, 2016, 01:03 PM
^ Oh no, MandyBeth! :( So sorry you are going through all this! :grouphug:
Weekly infusions, wow! :bigeyes: I really hope your health will improve a lot and you'll feel much, much better soon! :pray:

MandyBeth
January 16th, 2016, 01:15 PM
^ Yup, the weekly crap is no more. Every 6-8 weeks is my normal now. Much, much better. Short of a nicely behaved and functional immune system, this is as good as it gets with the sociopathic monster I'm stuck with. Oh, you got your arthritis under control? I shall attack your B vitamin stores. And thyroid. And........ Oh and yeah, I shall attack your joints more. That's my immune system for you. I'm allergic to myself.

Weekly crap - I routinely made labs question results because I wasn't showing any ferritin levels.

rags
January 16th, 2016, 01:44 PM
^ Yup, the weekly crap is no more. Every 6-8 weeks is my normal now. Much, much better. Short of a nicely behaved and functional immune system, this is as good as it gets with the sociopathic monster I'm stuck with. Oh, you got your arthritis under control? I shall attack your B vitamin stores. And thyroid. And........ Oh and yeah, I shall attack your joints more. That's my immune system for you. I'm allergic to myself.

Weekly crap - I routinely made labs question results because I wasn't showing any ferritin levels.

"I'm allergic to myself" is my inside joke with me and my docs too. This all sounds so familiar, including the alphabet soup. (although I'm too immunosupressed at the moment for the methotrexate, so.....yeah that sucks too).

Vpatt, I was originally, years ago when i first tested only mildly anemic, told to eat iron rich foods. What works best is if you combine heme and non-heme foods. This worked for me thirty years ago when my problem was caused by severe periods. Then later, when the autoimmune monster attacked and the anemia got bad, right along with everything else - foods don't work, supplements don't work, because I don't absorb enough of them. I've tried sublingual but I throw it up usually. And the last time I begged them to let me do pills instead of infusions - my levels actually went DOWN over the eight weeks. So I guess it depends on what the problem is behind the anemia. With AI stuff, usually food isn't nearly enough. It's still important though, and as I don't have liver or kidney problems, I do try to eat liver. What I've discovered is that if i start craving liver (I don't really like it very much) - my levels are certain to be tanking. Odd, isn't it?

vpatt
January 16th, 2016, 04:33 PM
Thank you, Mandy, Meteor and Rags. I'm sorry you all have such issues. So far as I know I only have psoriasis. Possibly Sjogrens, but I pretty much quit seeing a doctor because my insurance was worthless. I have an appt. now that I have Medicare and a supplement and I will see if they pay for anything. AIP cleared a lot of my skin but I have trouble sticking with it. My tongue is bad and I thought Sjogrens, but I read that low iron can cause similar issues. I have cataracts, but I don't think that is immune system. I hope I can find out something. Since I hadn't seen the doctor in 5 yrs they punished me by making me see the NP instead of the doctor and they made me wait 8 weeks. They said it is an insurance requirement to start over as a new patient if you don't see them them often enough. I have been going there since I was 18. May need to find a new doctor or just not go anymore.

MandyBeth
January 16th, 2016, 05:27 PM
Yeah, I'm in a no win mess - highly suppressed immune system or I'm critically ill plus on methotrexate or I'm critically ill. There's too much wrong, yay. So I do all the crap you should never, ever, ever consider doing. My immune system is a disaster. Hashimotos and celiac like to visit together. My system goes nope, that's normal and I refuse. Thus, if I'm allergic or reactive to dang near everything else, I get to be allergic to myself.

It's really pathetic when the list of vegetables you are allergic to is longer than what you can eat.

beefox
January 16th, 2016, 08:51 PM
I bit the bullet and forked over the cash for the Aveda Invati products today. I figure worst case scenario I'll use them up and I've spent more money on stupider things before. It'll be interesting to see how this goes.

Neoma
January 17th, 2016, 02:16 PM
I bit the bullet and forked over the cash for the Aveda Invati products today. I figure worst case scenario I'll use them up and I've spent more money on stupider things before. It'll be interesting to see how this goes.I hope that they work well for you, beefox. Please keep us posted. :flower:

I started using Nioxin products again yesterday. The scalp treatment breaks my neck out, so I only bought the shampoo and conditioner. I love the fragrance: peppermint and menthol.

Agnieszka
January 17th, 2016, 03:07 PM
Neoma I just love Nioxin, I use it for long time now, going through my second huge bottle. I also like the smell of it. I don't know how much it helps as I'm on iron and I'm doing peppermint oil massages but since starting all of this I see some improvement.

Meteor:blossom: for you for being always so helpful to everybody :)

Neoma
January 17th, 2016, 06:48 PM
Neoma I just love Nioxin, I use it for long time now, going through my second huge bottle. I also like the smell of it. I don't know how much it helps as I'm on iron and I'm doing peppermint oil massages but since starting all of this I see some improvement.

Agnieszka, that's great news! I'm glad to hear that you're experiencing regrowth!

I find Nioxin to be a little drying, so I generally CWC:

* Nioxin shampoo -- scalp only
* Cheapo conditioner -- length only
* Nioxin conditioner -- all over

This results is silky, tangle-free hair. :flowers:

beefox
January 18th, 2016, 09:56 AM
Does anyone ever have nightmares about more hair falling out? I had a terrible, very real one last night where after I got out of the shower and I had huge bald patches around my temples(there was literally no hair). It felt super traumatic and made me appreciate the hair I do have.

meteor
January 18th, 2016, 02:10 PM
MandyBeth, rags, :grouphug: I really hope your autoimmune conditions will get easier and you'll feel much, much better soon! :pray:
Vpatt, I really hope you'll get access to a doctor soon! :pray: Insurance can be so difficult! :(

Agnieszka, thank you so very much! You are very helpful and supportive! I found out a lot about iron supplements from you! Thank you!

beefox, here's to hoping the Aveda Invati will work for you! :D That hair nightmare sounds very scary! :grouphug:

Neoma and Agnieszka, which Nioxin are you guys using and how did you figure out which one is more suitable? :) They have quite a few product lines to select from...

vpatt
January 18th, 2016, 04:23 PM
Thank you, Meteor.

Neoma
January 18th, 2016, 05:58 PM
Neoma and Agnieszka, which Nioxin are you guys using and how did you figure out which one is more suitable? They have quite a few product lines to select from... meteor, I am using System 2 for noticeably thinner hair. Why? I have noticeably thinning hair. :silly:

Brunettebybirth
January 18th, 2016, 07:35 PM
Does anyone ever have nightmares about more hair falling out? I had a terrible, very real one last night where after I got out of the shower and I had huge bald patches around my temples(there was literally no hair). It felt super traumatic and made me appreciate the hair I do have.

I used to but not so much anymore. Every strand is now precious.

CurlyCap
January 19th, 2016, 12:06 AM
This was posted on buzzfeed and I watched it because I have an autoimmune something that causes me to lose my hair.

Honestly, it made me cry and I'm not one for Sad Movie Tears. Mostly because I've told myself that if I ever get to the place where I would lose big patches, I'd shave my head. I think she's super brave for actually doing it.

https://youtu.be/4bmzIkni3-8

jera
January 19th, 2016, 01:44 AM
Nugene shampoo worked for me when I experienced some thinning issues. It adds really awesome volume to thin hair.

Agnieszka
January 19th, 2016, 02:50 AM
Meteor I'm also using Nioxin 2 as it's for non coloured noticeable thinning hair. Mine is not anymore noticeable thinning but when I started using it like a year ago it was worse than it's now. I think on the Nioxin website there is some kind of questionnaire to recommend you the right product. I only use a shampoo. It cleans your scalp pretty well.

meteor
January 19th, 2016, 12:55 PM
Thanks a lot, Neoma and Agnieszka! :flowers: I might go for this product, too, if I don't get shedding under control with iron supplementation. I'm cautiously optimistic! :D

Agnieszka
January 19th, 2016, 01:40 PM
All the best with your iron supplementation Meteor! Have you got big deficiency?

beefox
January 19th, 2016, 03:05 PM
This was posted on buzzfeed and I watched it because I have an autoimmune something that causes me to lose my hair.

Honestly, it made me cry and I'm not one for Sad Movie Tears. Mostly because I've told myself that if I ever get to the place where I would lose big patches, I'd shave my head. I think she's super brave for actually doing it.

https://youtu.be/4bmzIkni3-8

I saw that a couple days ago. I'm also not one to cry at movies and it made me cry as well. I feel for her and can't imagine what she's been through with alopecia. What an amazing human.

Teufelchen
January 20th, 2016, 02:16 AM
@ meteor: Good luck with your supplements.

@ beefox: I watched the video myself and I felt so sorry for her and even though I respect her brave decision, it would not be one I could handle.

Brunettebybirth
January 20th, 2016, 04:30 PM
@meteor: I hope the supplementation works for you. :blossom:

@beefox: I viewed that as well, and was really amazed by her courage.

I've made a bit of progress along my part. The photo of me in the blue shirt is from the beginning of the month, the photo of me in the pink sweater is from today. You can see in the one taken today that the front of my part has started to fill in as opposed to where I was previously. The other photo in the pink sweater is just a photo of my current length. I've still got a ways to go but even at the crown it's starting to fill in with new growth but it's low density so in certain lighting or distances it's hard to tell the progress. I'm hopeful though and I wasn't before.

http://s665.photobucket.com/user/didofam71/library/

vpatt
January 20th, 2016, 06:56 PM
@meteor: I hope the supplementation works for you. :blossom:

@beefox: I viewed that as well, and was really amazed by her courage.

I've made a bit of progress along my part. The photo of me in the blue shirt is from the beginning of the month, the photo of me in the pink sweater is from today. You can see in the one taken today that the front of my part has started to fill in as opposed to where I was previously. The other photo in the pink sweater is just a photo of my current length. I've still got a ways to go but even at the crown it's starting to fill in with new growth but it's low density so in certain lighting or distances it's hard to tell the progress. I'm hopeful though and I wasn't before.

That's wonderful, I know it makes you happy to see new growth.

beefox
January 20th, 2016, 09:53 PM
I can totally see the difference! great progress! :)

Brunettebybirth
January 21st, 2016, 04:33 AM
Thanks, vpatt and beefox! Sometimes I don't think any real progress has been made but the pictures show otherwise. :happydance:

vpatt
January 21st, 2016, 04:56 AM
It's the "watched pot" theory. It is hard to see gradual changes sometimes, especially if you are like me and watch too often,lol.

bubastis
January 21st, 2016, 05:07 AM
I agree,it's hard to tell when you look at it every day,but from your pictures I can see a difference :o I ask a friend of mine to look at my part every couple of weeks and she has a better idea of any progress that way.
In an attempt to lessen the shed,I've decided to try Biotin since I've read so many positive things about it around here...anyone tried it?

beefox
January 21st, 2016, 06:22 PM
As far as biotin goes, I take it and I'm not sure if it's helped for thinning but it definitely has helped for length. I took some pictures of my scalp today so I can track the progress of the invati. It's not as horrible as it could be, but it still really bums me out to know exactly what it looks like with no comparison to how it looked previously(as in before I started taking care of my hair better).

Teufelchen
January 21st, 2016, 11:52 PM
@brunettebybirth: That is a huge progress for such a short time. I am totally with you when it comes to gradual changes.

You are so brave taking pictures, I couldn't take a single one during the worst days of hair loss.

Brunettebybirth
January 22nd, 2016, 04:41 AM
@brunettebybirth: That is a huge progress for such a short time. I am totally with you when it comes to gradual changes.

You are so brave taking pictures, I couldn't take a single one during the worst days of hair loss.

Thanks, I will admit I was somewhat surprised at the change when I viewed the photos side by side. Actually, my doctor recommended that I keep a "photo diary" of my hair so I wouldn't get discouraged because it's a long road back. I was hesitant but I'm ultimately glad I did. The photos (and nice comments) keep me motivated when I'm having a bad day about all this. I'm excited to see what it will look like a few months from now. :thumbsup:

Yesterday I went for my annual physical. The nurse there asked if I was taking any supplements. When I told her I was, and what I was taking she told me she was having hair loss issues. Asked me a bunch of questions. Thanked me profusely on the way out. I was happy to help her in any way I could.

I used to wonder why this happened to me. But I do now. I get it. No one should have to suffer with hair loss. And it's not a dirty little secret either. There is hope.

Beborani
January 22nd, 2016, 10:28 AM
I have noticed that when I henna/indigo my roots the tiniest new growth which are nearly colorless are darkened and makes my scalp appear fuller. This trick won't work for everyone but it is one of the reasons I keep doing it--covering the very light sprinking of whites is another. My natural color is black so this works for me.

Good to see so many of you reporting regrowth.

Brunettebybirth
January 22nd, 2016, 02:22 PM
My regrowth is coming in the same color as the rest of my hair but that sounds like a great trick indeed.

Beborani
January 22nd, 2016, 02:32 PM
I am posting this here for some inspiration. The original picture was not a hair picture but it was a wakeup call to do something as tiny wisps of hair that were masking that bald patch were not doing a good job anymore as they were getting wispier. The rest of hair was also thin. It has taken a really long time to fill in as those follicles were really dormant and had to be coaxed.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=124856

meteor
January 22nd, 2016, 04:11 PM
All the best with your iron supplementation Meteor! Have you got big deficiency?
I haven't had any new tests done, but my ferritin was only at 7 last time it was checked (a few months ago). I hope by now it's already higher. ;)
Thank you very much for your kind words, Agnieszka! :flowers: All the best to you, too :D , a quick recovery and optimal ferritin levels, of course! ;)

And thank you so much, Teufelchen and Brunettebybirth! Wishing you a quick recovery and full regrowth! :cheer:

YAY! I'm seeing a very good improvement! So great! :joy: Congratulations, Brunettebybirth! :toast: It will only get better and better from now, with regrowth travelling down along the length! :cheer:

vpatt
January 22nd, 2016, 04:31 PM
I am posting this here for some inspiration. The original picture was not a hair picture but it was a wakeup call to do something as tiny wisps of hair that were masking that bald patch were not doing a good job anymore as they were getting wispier. The rest of hair was also thin. It has taken a really long time to fill in as those follicles were really dormant and had to be coaxed.

That is great improvement and your hair is so shiny and pretty!

meteor
January 22nd, 2016, 04:51 PM

Oh yes! :) Absolutely! :agree: Awesome results, Beborani! :toast:

beefox
January 22nd, 2016, 06:22 PM

that makes me feel so much better. Thank you for posting that. I've been thinking about henna for that reason as well :).

Brunettebybirth
January 22nd, 2016, 06:43 PM
I haven't had any new tests done, but my ferritin was only at 7 last time it was checked (a few months ago). I hope by now it's already higher. ;)
Thank you very much for your kind words, Agnieszka! :flowers: All the best to you, too :D , a quick recovery and optimal ferritin levels, of course! ;)

And thank you so much, Teufelchen and Brunettebybirth! Wishing you a quick recovery and full regrowth! :cheer:

YAY! I'm seeing a very good improvement! So great! :joy: Congratulations, Brunettebybirth! :toast: It will only get better and better from now, with regrowth travelling down along the length! :cheer:

Thanks, meteor. I can't wait until the regrowth travels down along the length!! Hoping your ferritin levels are higher now. :pray:

Brunettebybirth
January 22nd, 2016, 06:44 PM

Agree as well. Definite improvement indeed.

Beborani
January 22nd, 2016, 08:03 PM
Thank you vpatt, meteor, brunettebybirth and beefox. Even I am impressed with all this regrowth! :) Beefox just so I am not misleading--the regrowth is due to minoxidil that I have mentioned several times to the point regular readers are probably sick of it and henna helps to make the newest regrowth (1mm or maybe even smaller strands) more visible.

beefox
January 24th, 2016, 11:41 AM
Beborani, have you had any side effects with the minoxidil? I've heard things about it making your face age and also cause a massive shed at first. I also heard that henna can thicken the individual strands as well and improve the healthiness of your hair, is that your experience?

lapis_lazuli
January 24th, 2016, 11:47 AM
Beborani, that is some great regrowth. What an improvement :) Congrats!

Beborani
January 24th, 2016, 12:26 PM
Beborani, have you had any side effects with the minoxidil? I've heard things about it making your face age and also cause a massive shed at first. I also heard that henna can thicken the individual strands as well and improve the healthiness of your hair, is that your experience?

I am not sure if henna thickens strands significantly but combination of indigo and henna makes my hair slippier and silkier (curly hair).

As for minoxidil I have been using it for 5 years now--I may have aged naturally during this time but I don't think it has accelerated it. If anything all this new hair makes me look younger.:) When I started I had ponytail about pencil thickness if that so not much hair to start with. I started applying minoxidil to only one portion of my head (a strip behind left side crown where I had more hair relatively) and watched that area for a few months comparing it to the other side. There was significant new growth within 2 to 3 months (if there was a shed I would not have noticed due to small area used). It is supposed to push hair that is already in catagen phase to fall out immediately and start new anagen cycle in that area. Since I understood the science behind it I was not anxious about shed as much as not wanting it all over at the same time hence staggering the application. I then started applying it to newer areas but going step by step. It is tempting to get greedy but I restrained myself. It took me nearly a year to get to the front where it was the thinnest though by then new fullness at the rest of the head helped. Also by then I understood how minoxidil worked on my head (I had read academic papers but seeing it on you is different). I am also careful never to let it get on my face or pillow (use sleep cap) and never use more than suggested amount per application even if it doesn't cover the whole head. Hope this helps.

Beborani
January 24th, 2016, 01:08 PM
Beborani, that is some great regrowth. What an improvement :) Congrats!

Thank you!

kdaniels8811
January 29th, 2016, 08:49 PM
I found something that will not thicken my hair but at least makes it look thicker... I love dry shampoo and had run out so I have a herb mixture I mix with warm water and wash my hair with it. The mixture is amla, shikaki, casssia, hisbiscus powder, and some others I cannot recall at the moment. Anyway, I used this mixture as a dry shampoo and massaged it into my scalp. Three days later I still have full (looking) hair! I think I will keep this recipe!

bubastis
February 1st, 2016, 12:35 PM
I don't know if it is possible,but I think biotin has increased my shed :( Since last week,it has gone from 65 up to 100 a day again :( The only other thing that has changed is that I started a new job last week which has me stressed out,but that can't cause hairloss so quickly can it? I'm seriously desperate,it had just started looking a bit better and now the nightmare has started again...despite the minox and everything. I feel like crawling under the covers and hiding there for weeks :(

Agnieszka
February 1st, 2016, 01:58 PM
Meteor, I'm looking forward to some good news about your ferritin levels. Are you going to test it again anytime soon? It made a big difference to increase mine .:blossom:

meteor
February 1st, 2016, 02:48 PM
^ Thank you so very much for your kind words, Agnieszka! :love: It's probably going to be a few months before they re-test it, but yes, I really think iron supplementation is working - I'm definitely not shedding as much as I did, though I see no new regrowth. I'm just glad I started taking iron without delay. :) How is your hemoglobin & ferritin now? I really hope it's getting much, much better! :pray:

Brunettebybirth, thank you so much! :flowers: I'm hoping your regrowth will catch up with your hem as soon as possible! :cheer:

kdaniels8811, that sounds like a great healthy herbal mix for a dry shampoo! :thumbsup:

bubastis, so sorry about the increased shedding! :( I don't know if biotin could have something to do with this. Can you see a doctor or somehow check with the doctor if the biotin you are taking is OK in your case? I've heard that some people get serious side effects from megadosing on biotin and it can be dangerous - I'd run it by the doctor, to be safe. :flower: I really hope the increased shedding will stop for you soon! :pray:

Agnieszka
February 1st, 2016, 02:57 PM
Meteor great news about hair loss slowing down, when you reach right levels for you I'm sure you will see baby hairs poking out of your head just as I did. There is no way I'm stopping monitoring my ferritin levels. I don't want to be dizzy and lethargic again and of course I don't want to be loosing hair. My ferritin is 70 now, and I'm just maintaining it now. I reduced supplementation to 15 - 30mg instead of 210mg a day. Just about daily recommendation. I'll take my next test around April I think. Speedy ferritin rise for you :heart:

meteor
February 1st, 2016, 03:07 PM
^ Thank you so very much, Agnieszka! Oh YAY!!! That sounds like great news! :joy: I'm so happy your ferritin is already at 70 and you only need to take daily recommendation amount! :happydance: That's really excellent!! And it didn't even take that long - awesome! :cheer: Congratulations! :D

Agnieszka
February 1st, 2016, 03:12 PM
thank you Meteor :blossom: :-)

MandyBeth
February 1st, 2016, 05:07 PM
Yes, stress can cause a very rapid increase in shedding. It should level back off.

bubastis
February 2nd, 2016, 03:27 AM
Thank you for the reassurance Mandybeth! I had always assumed stress showed up months later so I was blaming the biotin...

bubastis
February 2nd, 2016, 03:40 AM
Just a quick question, does anyone have any tips to prevent this from happenning in the future? I never used to get extreme shedding from stress,I hope this won't happen every time now.

CurlyCap
February 3rd, 2016, 12:12 AM
Grrrr. My hair started falling out massively again. I went to the doctors and my immune system is being mean. GRRRRRRRRRRR.

rags
February 3rd, 2016, 06:49 PM
Grrrr. My hair started falling out massively again. I went to the doctors and my immune system is being mean. GRRRRRRRRRRR.

And then the meds they give you can also make it fall out when you have AI problems........:grouphug: I hope it gets better for you! :flower:

diddiedaisy
February 3rd, 2016, 07:31 PM
Just a quick question, does anyone have any tips to prevent this from happenning in the future? I never used to get extreme shedding from stress,I hope this won't happen every time now.

It's a difficult question as everyone is so individual when it comes to hair loss. Mine was a mixture of health and stress and I have kept the shedding down since I joined here 2 years ago bar the odd mini shed. I'm still in a very stressful situation but I do take supplements, albeit sometimes sporadicly, I think these help me greatly but everyone's different. I did stop the initial shedding using supplements though, and that seems to be key for me as it also helps with my health problem.

bubastis
February 4th, 2016, 10:29 AM
I'm sorry for your hairloss Curlycap :( I hope you get your immune system back in line soon!

Diddiedaisy, can you tell me which supplements worked for you?

Arctic
February 10th, 2016, 08:34 AM
Hi everyone! I've been reading the thread along, but haven't posted in a while. I've been very immersed into my studies and also wanted to ignore my hair/hairloss for a while. I think I will continue on that path for now, but wanted to post an update.

In November the derm I saw prescribed 3 months of topical cortisone on my scalp, as some of you may remember. I completed that period on January, and as I had agreed with the derm, I booked a phone appointment with her. (As a sidenote, and long story short, I now have another, new to me derm.)

I had that phone appointment today, and we decided to try different approach now (a medication, I have mentioned it in my blog before, and can mention it there again when I have time to blog, but I prefere to keep stuff like that off from the public forum).

The situation currently is, that my shedding has been normal or very near to it since mid-autumn so at least 4 months if not 5. It's very hard to say if the shedding is back to 100% normal, however, because the excess shedding lasted so long, 1,5 years, I sort of lost the touch of normal during that period. All I know my normal previously was very little, and it feels it might be slightly more that it used to be now, but compared to how it was when the shedding was bad this feels like nothing, so I assume it's very close to how it used to be.

I also have new growth, and some areas seem like they are slowly improving. But the re-growth isn't the kind (as numerous/strong/dandellion-like) I would have expected after shedding so long, and having lost so much of my pony circ. as I did... I simply expected more. Never the less, the equation of less shedding and new growth is of course encouraging.

I'll start the new medication as soon as I have change to go to the pharmacy (maybe Friday), and it can take, as we know here at hair forum so well, 3-4 months for the effects to begin. I am being monitored in the beginning months, as there might be some unwanted symptoms. If there are no bad side effects yet nothing happens in 6 months, I am to book another phone appoinment with the new derm, and we'll see what we'll try next.

I think I will slip back into the lurk mode after this update (I will of course reply to comments) and try to be patient and not to stress about my hair. It helps that I have been very happy with my hair in other ways :o And that I have the final steps of my studies taking my focus off of my hair.
:writer:

So that was my little, uneventful update; I wish everyone else continuing good luck with conquering The Great Shed and to regrow the lost hair! I'm happy this thread has continued being active! :)

Swan Maiden
February 10th, 2016, 09:16 AM
Arctic, I'm glad you have some regrowth! Hopefully with Spring you will see lots of dandelions puff from your hair :)

Concerning the bumpy hairs we discussed on another thread, when you had a texture change was there a big shed with that? I am noticing that many many of my shed hairs are the very long baby fine floaty strands. ALL my regrowth is a different texture, curlier, coarser and more bumpy. I look like a baby bird with all my puffy regrowth but it is growing back. I'm curious if others experience a shed with texture change.

vpatt
February 10th, 2016, 09:30 AM
I had my appt yesterday with the NP. It was my first time seeing her and as of now I like her very much. I asked for the checkup to address chronic fatigue and you will never believe that I didn't think to mention my hair!! What?! But she was quick to suggest blood work to check for thyroid, iron and vitamin levels. I think those are all I could expect if I had mentioned hair. It's just that recently I have become more concerned with fatigue as the big shed stopped at least a year ago. (I have had some regrowth, too. But as Arctic said, for the huge hair loss I would have expected much bigger regrowth.) So the Nurse came in and stuck me 3 times getting just about 3 drops of blood (very cranky veins) and luckily it turned out she only needed 2 drops for the lab. So I will be awaiting the results. And. The . Bill. Big sigh. Even tho I didn't mention hair I feel that all things work together so if there is a reason found for fatigue then it likely applies to other health issues. I will share the results when they come in and see if others have any response.

I am trying to start exercising, too as that should be good for my immune system.

Arctic
February 10th, 2016, 09:44 AM
Arctic, I'm glad you have some regrowth! Hopefully with Spring you will see lots of dandelions puff from your hair :)

Concerning the bumpy hairs we discussed on another thread, when you had a texture change was there a big shed with that? I am noticing that many many of my shed hairs are the very long baby fine floaty strands. ALL my regrowth is a different texture, curlier, coarser and more bumpy. I look like a baby bird with all my puffy regrowth but it is growing back. I'm curious if others experience a shed with texture change.

Thank you, yes let's hope we all get a huge crop of spring sprouts! I want to be a dandelion and baby bird!

I can't say for sure whether my hairtype change was tied to a big shed, but I'd like to say that no, I don't remember having had a big shed back then. It was around the time I joined LHC, and I recall that I wouldn't have had shed in recent years before it, nor in the few years after it.

It sort of sneaked up on me. I was very tuned to my hair even before LHC. I have trichotillomania and I was a cronic hair twirler and liked to touch my hair. So in general I had very good picture about how my hair felt and what kinds of hair strands I had. But some time (a year, maybe?) after joing here, no doubt the tuning into my hair only heightened, and I slowly started to become aware of the wiry, bumby hairs.

First I saw them in macro photos I occasionally took of my then-hennaed hair. The kinky spot reflected flash differently than smooth hairs did. At first I called those "henna sparkles", which now as a retrospect tells me I probably thought they were caused by henna somehow (in the same way many people speak about henna shine). Then I started to slowly realise those hairs were structurally different, which was the actual cause of the sparkly shiny effect in photos taken with flash. Then I started noticing more and more of them.

It was very hard for me to accept them, I think this was partially stemming from my trichotillomania. The bumpy texture was a very strong trigger for me, and I really hated those hairs before I got used to them. I thought they were damaged or faulty or bad quality. I was addicted to S&D at the time too, and I snipped at the wiry hair so much (thinking they were damage) that I created a hole in my hemline, at the spot where I have lot of wiries growing in one area. That was when I truly had to open my eyes that no, these hairs are not damage, that they simply grow like that, and yes these hairs seem to be a permanent part of my hair texture now.

That's where I started my long road to accepting them, and it took a long time, but I finally think I am there, at the place of acceptance. (I say that with a bit of hesitation, as a trichotillomania flare-up might change my mindset temporarily a bit, but I try my best to manage my trich, so I wouldn't start the whole mental process again.)

Ooops, I wrote a novel again! Main point was, that I think the change happened pretty gradually but relatively fast. It felt like sudden change at a time, but the hairs must have been there a while because they were long (my hair was shoulder length when I joined LHC). The best I can remember, there wasn't a big shed right around that time, though.

ETA: I hope with all my heart that you'll never have to go through the same kind of difficult acceptance journey as I did. These wiry bumpy hairs are just as normal and good as any other texture and deserve our love and care. I wouldn't wish anyone to feel the kind of feelings I felt towards my own hairs, because it was mentally very rought, and I am much happier now that I am in peace with my individual hairs and hair as a whole.

Arctic
February 10th, 2016, 09:51 AM
I had my appt yesterday with the NP. It was my first time seeing her and as of now I like her very much. I asked for the checkup to address chronic fatigue and you will never believe that I didn't think to mention my hair!! What?! But she was quick to suggest blood work to check for thyroid, iron and vitamin levels. I think those are all I could expect if I had mentioned hair. It's just that recently I have become more concerned with fatigue as the big shed stopped at least a year ago. (I have had some regrowth, too. But as Arctic said, for the huge hair loss I would have expected much bigger regrowth.) So the Nurse came in and stuck me 3 times getting just about 3 drops of blood (very cranky veins) and luckily it turned out she only needed 2 drops for the lab. So I will be awaiting the results. And. The . Bill. Big sigh. Even tho I didn't mention hair I feel that all things work together so if there is a reason found for fatigue then it likely applies to other health issues. I will share the results when they come in and see if others have any response.

I am trying to start exercising, too as that should be good for my immune system.

Good to hear you finally had your appointment! 3 drops! He he, they squeezed you almost dry then :D Let's hope you have some answers from the tests! I can see how a more pressing issue can take the whole brain capasity when you try to concentrate and remember everything.

Exercising sounds good, I should follow your lead! My poor "sitting muscles" would need some non-sitting related activity!

Arctic
February 13th, 2016, 07:07 AM
Just a quick note, that I dried my hair differently than I have usually been doing it lately. I used a diffuser but not in curl enhanting way. Anyway, this seemed to encourage the new growth to dandelion (word used as a verb, lol!) and I was delighted to see there was quite a bit of it, it's just hidden normally :)

I am a bit torn whether to start the new medication or not. There is a change it might cause an initial shed, something I'd hate to risk. I am just starting to see some visible improvements, so part of me would like to wait out and see, but part of me wants to start the medication. I just want my old thickness and most importantly, denseness back.

Beborani
February 13th, 2016, 08:55 AM
Just a quick note, that I dried my hair differently than I have usually been doing it lately. I used a diffuser but not in curl enhanting way. Anyway, this seemed to encourage the new growth to dandelion (word used as a verb, lol!) and I was delighted to see there was quite a bit of it, it's just hidden normally :)

I am a bit torn whether to start the new medication or not. There is a change it might cause an initial shed, something I'd hate to risk. I am just starting to see some visible improvements, so part of me would like to wait out and see, but part of me wants to start the medication. I just want my old thickness and most importantly, denseness back.

I don't know what the new medication is but if it is localized as opposed to systemic (meaning it will affect only the area it is applied to) then I would just pick an area of head and apply just there for a few weeks/months depending on what it is and how it is supposed to work. You can compare it to nearby areas and to its mirror image on other side.

Arctic
February 13th, 2016, 09:01 AM
It's systemic. I'll need to write a blog post about it, I'm terribly uncomfotable speaking about this in detail here. Most likely I will start the medication, I just need to get myself to the pharmacy first.

Silverbrumby
February 13th, 2016, 09:47 AM
I also have/had bumpy spots on my hair after shedding for years. I had a four year shed run which now seems to be under control. During the shed phase I noticed weird bumpy spots them. I did read that scalp fungal issues can sometimes do this. Anyone else read that? But I do know my scalp issues, heat, burning, itchy, and build up all contributed to my higher shed rate. I need a clean scalp for healthy hair growth.

My ponytail went down to 2.5 at the worst shed time. It's now been up at 3 to 3.2 for about 9 months. That took about two years to get back. I now have this weird layer of hair that is at shoulder length. The regrowth.

Silverbrumby
February 13th, 2016, 09:49 AM
It's systemic. I'll need to write a blog post about it, I'm terribly uncomfotable speaking about this in detail here. Most likely I will start the medication, I just need to get myself to the pharmacy first.

Good luck Arctic with the new medication. I hope it all works out for you.

diddiedaisy
February 13th, 2016, 05:23 PM
Diddiedaisy, can you tell me which supplements worked for you?

So sorry for the late reply I have only just seen this question. I used a bog standard multi-vitimin, biotin and msm. This stopped the shedding after about 4-6 weeks. It turns out the biotin was key to me as it is great for digestive problems which I have. I did also get a lot of regrowth too, which added 1/4 inch to my pony circumference. Not a great deal I know but when you've got thin hair it means a lot. I take the biotin and msm sporadically now.

The only problem I have now though is my scalp is a bit see through. I'm not sure if a 10 year span of heavy shedding has cost me some follicles. I don't really understand the science behind minimized follicles and at what point they just give up and die. I've just got some viviscal to try (birthday present), I was given four months supply and I may take it for six months to see if anything happens. It gets good reviews but who knows, it could be that old snake oil.

Arctic
February 17th, 2016, 12:37 AM
Good luck Arctic with the new medication. I hope it all works out for you.

Thanks! I am feeling positive if also a bit nervous :)

<snip> I've just got some viviscal to try (birthday present), I was given four months supply and I may take it for six months to see if anything happens. It gets good reviews but who knows, it could be that old snake oil.

Good luck! Did you know Viviscal is developed in Finland?

I posted a more detailed update in my blog: CLICK (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=125143&bt=687622#comment687622).

I'm a bit nervous so could use some positive vibes :D

diddiedaisy
February 17th, 2016, 05:13 AM
arctic, no I didn't know they were made in Finland !! I am however getting a few side effects from them, insomnia and tmi constipation lol. Hopefully I'll adjust to them as I'm going to keep taking them. Good luck with your meds too :)

Arctic
February 17th, 2016, 07:13 AM
arctic, no I didn't know they were made in Finland !! I am however getting a few side effects from them, insomnia and tmi constipation lol. Hopefully I'll adjust to them as I'm going to keep taking them. Good luck with your meds too :)

I'm not sure if they are made here but at least they are invented here :D Oh no, sorry about the side effects :( Do you take them in the evening or morning? Lets' hope it's very temporary.

Thank you, I have now taken the first pill and haven't died yet :D (and if someone reads that out of context, do not worry, I'm talking, tongue in cheek, about my new medication! :))

beefox
February 17th, 2016, 10:57 AM
I wish I would've taken before photos of my hairline. I have tons of little inch long baby hairs popping up :). I do have pictures of my scalp from starting invati. In a few days it'll be a month and I'll post some progress pictures, hopefully that's working.

diddiedaisy
February 17th, 2016, 06:47 PM
I'm not sure if they are made here but at least they are invented here :D Oh no, sorry about the side effects :( Do you take them in the evening or morning? Lets' hope it's very temporary.

Thank you, I have now taken the first pill and haven't died yet :D (and if someone reads that out of context, do not worry, I'm talking, tongue in cheek, about my new medication! :))

Glad to hear you're not dead :D: I'm taking one in the morning and one at night, I've put back the second one to late afternoon/early evening, insomnia is not good :(

Silverbrumby
February 17th, 2016, 07:57 PM
I wish I would've taken before photos of my hairline. I have tons of little inch long baby hairs popping up :). I do have pictures of my scalp from starting invati. In a few days it'll be a month and I'll post some progress pictures, hopefully that's working.

Beefox, i had a huge shed 2+ years ago and now I have a layer of hair that's around 10 inches long. Not complaining but those babies just keep growing.

Btw, I just wanted to say my new experiment with the electric dermal pen is going well. A bit less shedding and I like only having to do it once a week. It's only been 5 applications so far so there is no way to really know if it's helping. The science behind this is that the fine needles stimulate the scalp and follicles. Much like lasers or inversion or massage. Just a bit deeper. The science behind it with men and their hair growth gives me hope that this might be a way to stave off age related thinning.

Oh, hair, the longest wisps are now at 28 inches. That's a record for me.

diddiedaisy
February 17th, 2016, 08:29 PM
Beefox, i had a huge shed 2+ years ago and now I have a layer of hair that's around 10 inches long. Not complaining but those babies just keep growing.

Btw, I just wanted to say my new experiment with the electric dermal pen is going well. A bit less shedding and I like only having to do it once a week. It's only been 5 applications so far so there is no way to really know if it's helping. The science behind this is that the fine needles stimulate the scalp and follicles. Much like lasers or inversion or massage. Just a bit deeper. The science behind it with men and their hair growth gives me hope that this might be a way to stave off age related thinning.

Oh, hair, the longest wisps are now at 28 inches. That's a record for me.

Hi, I've noticed on other threads that you have a terminal of bsl, however your hair looks nearly waist on your siggie, do you still think you have that as terminal or do you think it has started getting longer?

Silverbrumby
February 18th, 2016, 12:46 AM
Hi, I've noticed on other threads that you have a terminal of bsl, however your hair looks nearly waist on your siggie, do you still think you have that as terminal or do you think it has started getting longer?

Good question diddledaisy. I'm not trimming till June which is 4 months away. If it keeps growing, if a greater volume of hair grows down. If the ends dont go rotten bad. I'll keep growing. I so want to reach waist. The picture isnt so accurate. I'm about 1 3/4 inches away.

Here's to growing!

diddiedaisy
February 18th, 2016, 11:02 AM
Good question diddledaisy. I'm not trimming till June which is 4 months away. If it keeps growing, if a greater volume of hair grows down. If the ends dont go rotten bad. I'll keep growing. I so want to reach waist. The picture isnt so accurate. I'm about 1 3/4 inches away.

Here's to growing!

How exciting to be sooo close, I think it's safe to say your terminal is not bsl, it's at least mbl. Hurrayyyy

Sending you some magic fairy dust :)

RSunny
February 21st, 2016, 09:01 AM
Went to the doctor and had my iron levels checked 35ng/ml, the lab said normal is 30-200, but I read that the serum ferritin level required for hair growth is at least 50, but better to have 70. My doctor as on vacation this past week so hopefully will come back Monday and put me on a ferritin supplement. What's strange is that my "iron level" and "saturation level" was normal - but I read that can happen if you catch it before your ferritin is too low. Anyone know anything about this?

Cg
February 21st, 2016, 01:46 PM
I shed more than half 3.5 years ago, and whether that was from illness or extended use of meds I can't say. Since then I've stopped using all commercial hair products.

I massage and preen gently every night, and wash once a week with water only. No blow-drying or heat tools. I finger comb and use a wide-tooth wood comb daily but brush with my soft bbb only semi-occasionally since I'm paranoid about pulling even one precious strand out.

Within the last few months I think there's been some regrowth, but that may be more wish than fact. It's gotten to BSL from really short, so maybe the extra length camouflages some of the thinness. I like to believe so.

I feel for every one of you who's experienced alopecia. It's demoralizing. If you're like me, you always notice every healthy head of hair you encounter.

May you all find thicker tresses in the future.

poompatta
February 22nd, 2016, 08:06 AM
Hello everyone!
Have been reading the thread along, but am very bad at posting. Went for a month long vacation in December. Was catching up with work and reading along.
Quick update- missed some thyroid medication and supplements during vacation and lost more hair after that. I was able to control my fall to 20-30 hair/ wash by November. It is now shedding more 80-100/ wash :(
With my already thinning hair and recent increase in fall, I am even noticing scalp around my temple, worse I've seen.
Completely frustrated about current condition. I do not know how to walk out of home with a decent hairstyle that can hide my scalp. I even worry if this will stress me out to loose more hair.
I am trying low pony and adding clip on hair extensions. It gives a decent low ponytail. Low ponytail helps less stress on roots and kind of help cover the temple areas too. Anybody have any suggestions on hairstyle without extensions. I have waist length hair, but very thin hair(2")

diddiedaisy
February 23rd, 2016, 08:06 AM
I've been taking Viviscal for 13 days now. I didn't expect to see anything for a few months (if at all), however I noticed yesterday that my shed rate has reduced drastically. I was shedding normally anyway but I thought it was interesting information for those of you who are still shedding. I shall keep posting updates as to how my shed rate continues.

beefox
February 23rd, 2016, 08:40 AM
I finally got in to the dermatologist. She said that while she was checking my scalp she didn't notice that I was shedding a lot. Which made me feel a little bit better. She also said that she can see some re-growth, so that was confirmation that I'm not totally losing it. However, she did say that my hair is thinner on the top/sides more so than it is in the back. I got all sorts of blood tests and I can see the results online but I have to wait for someone to call me today and explain it.

Arctic
February 24th, 2016, 04:43 AM
Welcome to newcomers!

Beefox, let us know the results!

Diddie that's awesome news!

vpatt
February 24th, 2016, 07:08 AM
I thought I posted this, but I'm having LHC issues and I can't find where I posted. My blood work came back normal (according to NP) except for high cholesterol which I don't think bothers hair growth. She did not check iron levels so I don't know what that is. Sigh. She suggested checking iron and then later said she only does that if there is a history of iron issues. !!! I researched on my own and found that my blood sugar is edging upward and that my B12 actually is low. Not sure that B12 helps or hinders hair growth, but I will be supplementing for other issues I have.
Sorry if I'm repeating this.

Arctic
February 24th, 2016, 07:20 AM
Vpatt, that's so strange they didn't even take haemoglobin, that's usually the first test they seem to take.

I believe vitamin B-12 deficiency can cause hair loss. This article suggests that people over 50 might benefit from supplements.
http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/vitamin-b12-deficiency-can-be-sneaky-harmful-201301105780

This article mentions B-12 being important to healthy hair:
http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/men-hair-loss-16/eat-right-healthy-hair

vpatt
February 24th, 2016, 09:22 AM
Arctic, on the CBC/PLT test the hemoglobin is 15.6g/dl. I don't know what most of these things mean and I got them from my online account. When I emailed her to ask which was the iron level she told me she didn't check for that. I am really confused now, lol. But I did understand the B12 and I found that if I lived in a different country that I could/would be treated for B12 deficiency......as US standards differ. Since I need to email it is harder for me to communicate with her.

I have begun taking B complex already and have ordered B12 methylcobalamin which should address my nerve issues. Hopefully they will also be good for my hair. And now I am off to check out your links, thank you!

Arctic
February 24th, 2016, 09:36 AM
Arctic, on the CBC/PLT test the hemoglobin is 15.6g/dl. I don't know what most of these things mean and I got them from my online account. When I emailed her to ask which was the iron level she told me she didn't check for that. I am really confused now, lol. But I did understand the B12 and I found that if I lived in a different country that I could/would be treated for B12 deficiency......as US standards differ. Since I need to email it is harder for me to communicate with her.

OK they took hemoglobin, but she was probably then refering to serum ferritin, that they didn't took that test. My doctors didn't take it from me, either (They too haemoglobin and storage iron, can't remember what it was called).

What are the reference values of your haemoglobin? In general when you post you values, post the reference values at the same time, the actual number is useless without.

You can easily take B-12 from supplements, but if you have some absorbtion issues you would need to have regular B-12 shots. Maybe start taking B-12 pills, and when you have next check up, mention the previous low levels and the supplements. If your levels haven't come up then, you might be a candidate for the injections.

vpatt
February 24th, 2016, 09:48 AM
Do you mean the standard range for hemoglobin? That is 12-16g/dl. So mine sounds good.....but I always wonder if the body always agrees with medical standards.

Thank you for the links, they confirm things I read. I have tingling feet and tingling tongue. I know B complex has helped the feet in the past. The tongue is a newer thing. I hope it is helped by the vitamins. It had not occurred to me that vitamin B might help that also until very recently.

Arctic
February 24th, 2016, 11:08 AM
Do you mean the standard range for hemoglobin? That is 12-16g/dl. So mine sounds good.....but I always wonder if the body always agrees with medical standards.

Thank you for the links, they confirm things I read. I have tingling feet and tingling tongue. I know B complex has helped the feet in the past. The tongue is a newer thing. I hope it is helped by the vitamins. It had not occurred to me that vitamin B might help that also until very recently.

I meant the reference values of the laboratory, they always give them with the test result, and they change from laboratory to laboratory.

Definitely start the B-12. It's one of those vitamins that only comes from quite limited foods, all animal based. People often have absorption issues or aren't simply eating enough of those foods to obtain it. I have been taking it as a supplement since I started vegan diet (now I'm back to being vegetarian and continue taking it), but I now know I should have started it even earlier on (I was vegetarian for a long time before veganism).

Someone I knew had to take the B-12 shots, once every 2 or three months.

ETA: To my understanding it's possible to have good haemoglobin but too low serum ferritin an/or storage iron levels.

vpatt
February 24th, 2016, 12:43 PM
The only thing it shows are 3 columns, component, your value and standard range. At the bottom the date and the person who ordered the test. I don't know why there is no reference value.

rags
February 24th, 2016, 01:35 PM
Vpatt, standard range is your reference value.

It is entirely possible to have low ferretin (which will affect the hair) before you get actual low h/h.

And I have to give myself B12 shots weekly or monthly (usually monthly, but depending, sometimes it still dips too low). It can definitely affect the hair!

meteor
February 24th, 2016, 01:45 PM
ETA: To my understanding it's possible to have good haemoglobin but too low serum ferritin an/or storage iron levels.

Oh yes, that's pretty common. I tend to have that problem with tests coming in with low (but still normal) hemoglobin but extremely low ferritin. It's not unusual.

Arctic, on the CBC/PLT test the hemoglobin is 15.6g/dl. I don't know what most of these things mean and I got them from my online account.

Seems like a pretty good level! :) Different countries and even labs may have different standard "normal ranges" (and the standards change sometimes as medical community changes its position sometimes as new research becomes available). You can google different standard ranges, to see where you stand. For example, https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003645.htm

The only thing it shows are 3 columns, component, your value and standard range. At the bottom the date and the person who ordered the test. I don't know why there is no reference value.
I haven't seen that report but I think "standard range" = reference value for that lab. ;)

ETA: Oops, rags beat me to it! ;) Sorry for the repetition. :oops:

vpatt
February 24th, 2016, 01:54 PM
Thanks you guys. I am going to take the B complex plus a B12, D3, a daily multi and an iron pill (iron 2 to 3 times per week). I think given my age and immune system issues that will not be too much. I do some days forget so that should keep me from getting too much �� of any of them. My hair has been barely shedding for a long time now. My ponytail averages a wee bit over 3".......I'm not sure but I think that is a decent measurement.
Rags, I'm sorry you have to have shots, but it is lucky you have them if it helps you.

Beborani
February 24th, 2016, 05:13 PM
Vpatt, if you don't have iron deficiency it may not be the best idea to supplement.

http://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/iron-supplementation-typically-not-recommended-for-postmenopausal-women/

vpatt
February 24th, 2016, 09:09 PM
Vpatt, if you don't have iron deficiency it may not be the best idea to supplement.

http://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/iron-supplementation-typically-not-recommended-for-postmenopausal-women/

Thanks for the link. I guess I should have said that I am just going to take a couple iron pills a week until the bottle I have is gone (60 days). I did check and there is no iron in my multi. I am trying to get back to eating healthy and I will eat chicken liver, but no grains. I think I read iron is found in grains. I also use cast iron skillets. It is confusing as post menopausal women need less iron......but now some studies show we may be at risk for anemia. I don't understand as those are opposites.. ...but after these pills are gone my iron will be from food sources which is safer. I could just toss them, I guess.

Neoma
February 26th, 2016, 05:33 PM
Sadly, I haven't been able to keep up with all the posts in this thread.

I just wanted to pop in and let everyone know that my hair has pretty much recovered from my second Great Shed. The super thin (almost bald) spot near my crown has filled in and the length actually looks pretty abundant, now.

I don't have as much hair as I did in my 30's, but it doesn't look "thin."

I'm still taking a multi vitamin, iron and biotin, though I'll probably stop when I run out.

My current routine is CO twice with a cheapo, cone-free conditioner followed by a coney conditioner. I also oil my hair frequently (though not necessarily heavily) at night when I braid it; the conditioner removes all of the oil.

I know that there are different causes for hair loss and that some people may not regrow all of the hair that they've lost. (My hair loss was due to a medication.) But I did want to pop in and share some hope.

meteor
February 26th, 2016, 05:44 PM
^ Congratulations, Neoma! :happydance: So happy to hear about your hair recovery! Yay! :joy:

Neoma
February 26th, 2016, 08:12 PM
^ Congratulations, Neoma! :happydance: So happy to hear about your hair recovery! Yay! :joy:

Thank you, meteor! :flowers:

Arctic
February 27th, 2016, 01:41 AM
Wonderful news, Neoma! Quick recovery, wow! I'm happy you now have those stressful, shower clogging days behind, and hopefully any possible future medication won't cause big sheds. You went through this like a champ!

rags
February 27th, 2016, 07:19 AM
Oh congratulations Neoma! :cheer: That's wonderful news, and I'm so glad to hear it!

vpatt
February 27th, 2016, 08:06 AM
Yay, Neoma! That is wonderful!!

Neoma
February 27th, 2016, 01:15 PM
Wonderful news, Neoma! Quick recovery, wow! I'm happy you now have those stressful, shower clogging days behind, and hopefully any possible future medication won't cause big sheds. You went through this like a champ!

Oh congratulations Neoma! :cheer: That's wonderful news, and I'm so glad to hear it!

Yay, Neoma! That is wonderful!!

Thank you, ladies! :flowers: I'm so glad I didn't get a pixie when I was going through this last shed.

copperlites
February 27th, 2016, 07:28 PM
Neoma, the support on this thread is amazing and I am so glad your hair is recovering and you didn't cut it all off :applause:

I thought i would share my progress.

I have had a major shed over the last 6 months. losing about ¾ - 1 inch of an inch in thickness. When i joined LHC 12 months ago I had a 3 to 3¼ inch ponytail. At the end of January 2106 it was 2 ¼. I have decided to monitor my thickness throughout 2016, experimenting for a month at time, and then evaluating the success of the method, to see what wrks and what doesn't.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21782&d=1456624776

Throughout February my hair seems to have gained ¼ inch of thickness, going from 2¼ to 2½ inches! WOW. I have been using Invati (AVEDA) products; Shampoo, Conditioner and the scalp pump spray / massage. It is recommended to do this twice a day and I have not been religious about it, usually only doing once a day and sometimes none. I only bought the travel sizes as I wanted to monitor it's effectiveness before buying full size. I am impressed with this result, though I do find my hair a lot drier.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21783&d=1456624782

My travel sizes are nearly empty and on a visit to the AVEDA salon yesterday my stylist recommended trying the moisture range. I purchased the travel sizes of that but had not done the measurement for February. Now that I have, I am wondering if i should get more Invati and find anther option to add moisture?

I also saw Kerastase have a similar range which is a lot cheaper and my local kerastase salon are selling out at 20% off so I am tempted to try that for a month as it is a lot cheaper and may not be as drying.

Red Rapunzel
February 27th, 2016, 08:16 PM
I'm so glad to find this thread. I have approximately one-fifth of the hair I used to have. On the upside, that means I can use less shampoo and conditioner on it every time I wash it and that it will dry much faster than before when it was thicker. The downside is my bangs have thinned out so much that on a recent photo outdoors I actually looked rather bald up in the forehead region. I have actually purchased fake bangs, but don't wear them because I am always afraid that they might come off and humiliate me in a public situation. Don't want to cut more bangs higher up because I need all the long hair I can get because it is so thin. Here is a photo of how my sparse bangs actually ended up just hanging in one narrow chunk down the center of my forehead. I felt like a red-striped skunk. Is there any product you people have found that can be applied to bangs and the rest of the hair to substantially thicken it? Thanks for any help you can give.
http://i.imgur.com/Mk7ECGz.jpg

Neoma
February 27th, 2016, 08:18 PM
Neoma, the support on this thread is amazing and I am so glad your hair is recovering and you didn't cut it all off :applause:

I thought i would share my progress.

I have had a major shed over the last 6 months. losing about ¾ - 1 inch of an inch in thickness. When i joined LHC 12 months ago I had a 3 to 3¼ inch ponytail. At the end of January 2106 it was 2 ¼. I have decided to monitor my thickness throughout 2016, experimenting for a month at time, and then evaluating the success of the method, to see what wrks and what doesn't.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21782&d=1456624776

Throughout February my hair seems to have gained ¼ inch of thickness, going from 2¼ to 2½ inches! WOW. I have been using Invati (AVEDA) products; Shampoo, Conditioner and the scalp pump spray / massage. It is recommended to do this twice a day and I have not been religious about it, usually only doing once a day and sometimes none. I only bought the travel sizes as I wanted to monitor it's effectiveness before buying full size. I am impressed with this result, though I do find my hair a lot drier.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21783&d=1456624782

My travel sizes are nearly empty and on a visit to the AVEDA salon yesterday my stylist recommended trying the moisture range. I purchased the travel sizes of that but had not done the measurement for February. Now that I have, I am wondering if i should get more Invati and find anther option to add moisture?

I also saw Kerastase have a similar range which is a lot cheaper and my local kerastase salon are selling out at 20% off so I am tempted to try that for a month as it is a lot cheaper and may not be as drying.

Thank you, coppperlites!

I'm sorry to hear about your hair loss. Your regrowth is amazing -- that's a significant amount in short period.

Invati really helped me jump start my regrowth for both of my Great Sheds.

As for the moisture, I usually followed the routine below:
* Invati shampoo -- all over (I don't use a lot of shampoo -- I concentrated on the scalp, then worked the suds down the length)
* Moisturizing conditioner -- length only
* Invati conditioner -- scalp only

That routine worked beautifully for me. I also used Aveda Damage Remedy leave-in after towel drying sometimes.

Arctic
February 28th, 2016, 01:49 AM
coppperlites wow nice progress! How do you get the thread cut without cutting also hair, or do you manage to glide it out from your hair and then cut? I'll need to experiment with that method more, I have only tried it once. Clever idea to take photo of the measuring tape!

Red Rapunzel Welcome! Oh my, 4/5th of hair lost :rant: :-( :shake: I would have put a crying smiley here, but couldn't find one.)

Do you have ideas about what has caused this? How long it's been going on?

Yeah photos can really be shocking sometimes, I also realized my hair loss first from photos. For some reason I can't understand I didn't see it right before my eyes every day, in the mirror.

Happy you found this thread and here's some fairy dust for you and your hair :magic:

mindwiped
February 28th, 2016, 05:36 AM
I'm so sad. The shed that I knew I'd have is starting. That hospitalization was almost exactly 3 months ago. I've noticed that every time I wash, I'm losing more stands. I'm gonna go cry in the corner

Arctic
February 28th, 2016, 05:54 AM
Mindswept, hang in there. It's temporary and will grow back, I'm sure. May the shed last only a very short while.

Wusel
February 28th, 2016, 06:15 AM
This thread made me come back here...
I've read almost every single post.
I suffer from hair loss since I was 16 or so.
When I was 16 it was so bad that i got a huge dosage of cortisone for my scalp. Morning and evening.
My mom said that it's been always like this. I shed like a cat. Simply always. On and off. Sometimes it's more, sometimes less but somehow... like always.
Everything I eat finds its way to my plate because I've read somewhere that it's good for my hair. Eggs, dark chocolate, meat, salmon, nuts.
If someone told me, you have to drink cow's pee morning and evening to stop shedding, I'd go for this.
But it's good now. Recovering from a big shed where I fortunately lost only half an inch.

But I "suddenly" have long hair now. And people notice it. So, that's a good thing. I'm BSL+ now. My braid tapers because of the sheds but I'm okay with this. And today there wasn't so much in the drain.
I've read here about the Pura D'Or shampoo and instantly ordered it. The gold one.
I have big hopes that it'll help with my seasonal shedding. It was SO expensive... but the ingrediends are SO wonderful...

What do you think about the assumption that daily endurance sports (what I do since childhood) increase DHT and hair loss?
Or do you think that it supports hair growth because it increases the blood flow to the scalp and follicles?
I'm not sure. I hope I don't shed because of my cross trainer addiction...

Wusel
February 28th, 2016, 06:35 AM
Mindswept, hang in there. It's temporary and will grow back, I'm sure. May the shed last only a very short while.

Yes, dear Mindswept. Arctic is right. It's temporary and sometimes it lasts only two weeks or so. Don't worry. It'll stop soon and new hairs start growing.:flower:

copperlites
February 28th, 2016, 07:42 AM
Thanks Neoma, I will try our suggestion.
Yes arctic, I ease it down the length and then cut the string.

I do think that the Invati, "fluffs" up your hair a bit, as it is not as sleek or slippery. It also could be measurement discrepancies. I try to d it the same way but I think a few months of trading is needed. I will see how I progress in March.

Red Rapunzel
February 28th, 2016, 05:21 PM
coppperlites wow nice progress! How do you get the thread cut without cutting also hair, or do you manage to glide it out from your hair and then cut? I'll need to experiment with that method more, I have only tried it once. Clever idea to take photo of the measuring tape!

Red Rapunzel Welcome! Oh my, 4/5th of hair lost :rant: :-( :shake: I would have put a crying smiley here, but couldn't find one.)

Do you have ideas about what has caused this? How long it's been going on?

Yeah photos can really be shocking sometimes, I also realized my hair loss first from photos. For some reason I can't understand I didn't see it right before my eyes every day, in the mirror.

Happy you found this thread and here's some fairy dust for you and your hair :magic:

Hi, Arctic (that's an appropriate name for someone from Finland!). Thanks for the warm welcome! Chronic Lyme Disease has caused my hair thinning - not only the disease but the strong antibiotic regimen (with chemo-like effects) I was on years ago to treat the Lyme. While washing my hair then I used to look down and there was what appeared to be a small dog lying over the drain (from all the hair that had fallen out). Of course, I still have the chronic Lyme - the antibiotics only helped me get stronger - they were not a cure - basically never are when it comes to Lyme. Another reason for my thinning is that I seem to have gotten older (despite still being a kid inside).

Anyway, I appreciate the fairy dust - very cute! Hope it works!. Have not had the time to really read through all of the info and responses on this thread - look forward to doing so when I have more time.

I will say that I tried Biotin - had great hopes for it - but then it made me break out horribly with acne - worse than a teenager! Would rather have thin hair than acne - so I stopped the biotin. Darn!

Hope to find something that will make my hair thicker without unpleasant side effects like acne. Maybe a wig???

Look forward to reading more here when I have time - will look for your posts.

Red Thinning Rapunzel :hifive: "Together we can beat thinning hair - or get a group discount on wigs!"

mindwiped
February 28th, 2016, 09:55 PM

Yes, dear Mindswept. Arctic is right. It's temporary and sometimes it lasts only two weeks or so. Don't worry. It'll stop soon and new hairs start growing.:flower:

Thank you both. I knew this was coming, as I'd said when I talked about being in the hospital back in December. I'm just bummed, it's been looking good as thin as it is. Hopefully it'll be a couple of weeks and done. Thank you for the well wishes!

-Sara

diddiedaisy
February 29th, 2016, 12:19 PM
I have decided to make a doctors appointment about my scalp hair, or rather lack of it. I'm sure it's got worse plus I keep getting a burning sensation. None of which seem like good news to me. My shed rate is completely normal but I have noticed that the shed hairs are quite short, about 3-5 inches on average. Has anyone else noticed a burning sensation?

lillielil
February 29th, 2016, 04:35 PM
Well, crud. I thought my hair looked cute today. For once I didn't slick it straight back. Instead I did a side twist, and then tried out a modified pha bun. I was feeling all confident because my fork seemed too small for the bun (for the first time ever). Then I tried to take pictures and made the mistake of moving the camera up just a little bit. First picture is what I expected. Second picture is what makes me sad. My self-confidence just plummeted.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/geobabe/hair/image%206_zpstuhddnhx.jpeg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/geobabe/hair/image%207_zpss1nc4v0m.jpeg

I guess I'm going back to the high tight, pulled straight back bun.

Beborani
February 29th, 2016, 04:55 PM
Lillielil did you use flash? At that distance with flash you can exaggerate the cleavage (it is how you take macro pictures which look scary but are not true representation of what we see with our naked eye).

lillielil
February 29th, 2016, 05:09 PM
No flash. Just a forward-facing camera on my phone.

Beborani
February 29th, 2016, 05:18 PM
No flash. Just a forward-facing camera on my phone.

I still feel it has exaggerated the cleavage. Maybe next time you can use comb with thin teeth to adjust the crown region while looking in a mirror at the back.

lillielil
February 29th, 2016, 08:50 PM
I'll try it. I pretty much never comb my hair, but maybe that's the trick.

Arctic
March 1st, 2016, 01:50 AM
This thread made me come back here...
I've read almost every single post.
I suffer from hair loss since I was 16 or so.
- -
If someone told me, you have to drink cow's pee morning and evening to stop shedding, I'd go for this.
But it's good now. Recovering from a big shed where I fortunately lost only half an inch.

But I "suddenly" have long hair now. And people notice it. So, that's a good thing. I'm BSL+ now. My braid tapers because of the sheds but I'm okay with this. And today there wasn't so much in the drain.

I've read here about the Pura D'Or shampoo and instantly ordered it. The gold one.
I have big hopes that it'll help with my seasonal shedding. It was SO expensive... but the ingrediends are SO wonderful...

What do you think about the assumption that daily endurance sports (what I do since childhood) increase DHT and hair loss?
Or do you think that it supports hair growth because it increases the blood flow to the scalp and follicles?
I'm not sure. I hope I don't shed because of my cross trainer addiction...

Welcome back! Congrats on reaching BSL and beyond!

:spit: cow's pee!
I hope the shampoo helps you!

If the shedding is only normal seasonal shedding, I'm not sure how much shampoos can do to that. On many people without hairloss issues they get those one or two seasonal sheds, usually when seasons change in spring and autumn.

I have no idea about the sports. I have read, this was about men, that if they are very intensively weight training, like into competititve body building or olympic weight lifting, that kind of anaerobic exercise in those quantities and intensivity levels caoul cause DHT to build up and possibly hair loss issues. But it was more anecdotal internet comments that scientific articles.

If you are into endurance sports, then it's not anaerobic, is it? It shouldn't - to my veeeery feeble understanding, which might be completely wrong - affect testosterone/DHT hormones like the above example implied.

In general I think it's relatively safe to say that any kind of exercising (when not taken to extreme and when enough energy is consumed) is good for health and hair.

Hi, Arctic (that's an appropriate name for someone from Finland!). Thanks for the warm welcome! Chronic Lyme Disease has caused my hair thinning - not only the disease but the strong antibiotic regimen (with chemo-like effects) I was on years ago to treat the Lyme. While washing my hair then I used to look down and there was what appeared to be a small dog lying over the drain (from all the hair that had fallen out). Of course, I still have the chronic Lyme - the antibiotics only helped me get stronger - they were not a cure - basically never are when it comes to Lyme. Another reason for my thinning is that I seem to have gotten older (despite still being a kid inside).

Anyway, I appreciate the fairy dust - very cute! Hope it works!. Have not had the time to really read through all of the info and responses on this thread - look forward to doing so when I have more time.

I will say that I tried Biotin - had great hopes for it - but then it made me break out horribly with acne - worse than a teenager! Would rather have thin hair than acne - so I stopped the biotin. Darn!

Hope to find something that will make my hair thicker without unpleasant side effects like acne. Maybe a wig???

Look forward to reading more here when I have time - will look for your posts.

Ha ha, yes the user name :D Chosen in a state of mind where brain goes blank when the registration form asks to choose a username :D

Sorry to hear about your cronic condition. IT trying to see positive side, it's really nice to know why the hair loss happened. My derm said it's very often a mystery, and no reason can be found. Let's hope there will be cure for Lyme's in the near future!

I hate acne,I've been dealing with it since early teens. I can well understand not wanting acne as an adult.

He he, well the wig would be a nice, simple solution. I have sometimes thought, that what if my hair loss isn't going to grow back and if it's only growing worse over time (if it is hormonal/genetic). I might go with a topper piece, something to clip at the crown/top. Celebrities use them all the time on red carpet.

Thank you both. I knew this was coming, as I'd said when I talked about being in the hospital back in December. I'm just bummed, it's been looking good as thin as it is. Hopefully it'll be a couple of weeks and done. Thank you for the well wishes!

-Sara

I remember your post then. Keep us updated! I hope you have been well otherwise now!

I have decided to make a doctors appointment about my scalp hair, or rather lack of it. I'm sure it's got worse plus I keep getting a burning sensation. None of which seem like good news to me. My shed rate is completely normal but I have noticed that the shed hairs are quite short, about 3-5 inches on average. Has anyone else noticed a burning sensation?

In the case of longer term hair loss I think it's good idea to work with a doctor. I have read that in many cases the sooner the treatments start the bigger changes there are to stop the hair loss.

I have had a very irritated scalp on and off the past year. It's very sensitive to begin with. I was given topical cortisone for it but it only seemed to make it worse.

PS. Are you sure they are sheds and not breakage?

Well, crud. I thought my hair looked cute today. For once I didn't slick it straight back. Instead I did a side twist, and then tried out a modified pha bun. I was feeling all confident because my fork seemed too small for the bun (for the first time ever). Then I tried to take pictures and made the mistake of moving the camera up just a little bit. First picture is what I expected. Second picture is what makes me sad. My self-confidence just plummeted.
- -

:grouphug:

I still feel it has exaggerated the cleavage. Maybe next time you can use comb with thin teeth to adjust the crown region while looking in a mirror at the back.

I'll try it. I pretty much never comb my hair, but maybe that's the trick.

I agree with beborani, photos can make scalp hair look thinner that it is even on people with no thinning issues. (And camera flash is the worst offender, I would have asked if you used that, too.) Oily hair, not combing/brushing/styling, cowlicks, roots showing, etc, all can make it look worse.

I have to say that I am surprised if I understood correctly: that you never look how the hair looks from all angles before leaving house? That would be unheared of for me. I again agree with Beborani, it looks like something you can tweak with fine tooth comb, BBB or brush. Even with your fingers.

I wouldn't give up that style on you, it looks lovely, and it's good to not always wear tight, high buns. I have seen articles where doctors have expressed their worry about the fashion of top knots, because since the fashion started there has been more cases with thinning hair and receding hair lines at their offices.

diddiedaisy
March 1st, 2016, 02:14 AM
Arctic, yes they are definitely shed, bulb and tapered.

Arctic
March 1st, 2016, 02:32 AM

Ok, then the doctor might give you better ideas, BUT don't worry about the shorter shed before the doctor says there is something to worry about, it's so easy to start hyperfocusing on things like that. You could take few of those hairs with you to the approintment, and describe how big percentage (approx) those shorter ones seem to be from your shed hairs all and all.

If the short hair are for example from hormonal reasons, the sooner you start treatment the better. If you can't get dr appt. right away, you might want to start nizoral washes meanwhile, to see if the help your scalp.

It's ofcourse possible that you have always been shedding lot of shorter hair (hair that have short terminal length). That would explain some of your hemline issues. I don't say this to depress you, but to highlight it's not neccessarily anything new or indicator of something being wrong.

Lillielil, I forgot to add that if I were you, I would sometime soon when I have a moment at home, take your freshly washed and dried hair down, make middle part and comb it well, then take above the head photo, making sure the colour are white balanced, there is no contrast or colour enhancing settings on, and the light levels aren't too bright (which makes the scalp glow white), that the place where you take photo is well but not too brightly lit. See how it looks. Take many photos, also with left and right side parts.

There are possibly some that looks bad, some that look good and some between. I'd err on the side of the in betweens being the best representation (because photos can lie and exaggarate).

Then maybe have a similar photo taken every few months to see if there are changes. At best you see there is not change for worse, and that with some change to your styling your scalp cleavage disappers. The worse situation would also be helpful because your would have something to show to your doctor when you go there the next time.

Oh, and the best of the best, the creme of scalp cleavage busting tricks is a simple, soft bristle tooth brush (clean thank you!). Better than any other comb or brush!

lillielil
March 1st, 2016, 07:37 AM
Not only do I not look from all angles before leaving the house, I don't style my hair before leaving the house. It is usually still wet when I leave, in a very messy LWB held with an acrylic stick just to keep it out of the way. When I get to work I take it down and let it air-dry, then style it at my desk. If I'm not confident in how it turned out, I'll go to the bathroom and check the mirror, but usually I just check out the front in a little handheld mirror. This means I've probably had a lot of really bad hair days that I didn't even know about.

I'll try a similar style today once my hair is dry, and see what I can do in the mirror with a toothbrush. I hate having to arrange hair over a thin spot :boohoo:

Beborani
March 1st, 2016, 07:46 AM

Diddiedaisy I missed your question. My longest strands are over 2 feet long but sheds can range from 2-3 inches to any length in between. That is totally normal as not all strands grow to same lengths. Peripheral strands such as those at temples, sideburns, nape are shorter and they progressively get longer as they get to crown area.

Wusel
March 1st, 2016, 07:58 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/geobabe/hair/image%206_zpstuhddnhx.jpeg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/geobabe/hair/image%207_zpss1nc4v0m.jpeg

I have the same pocket mirror with a brush :)

And on my VERY HONEST opinion, it looks absolutely okay.
I have pupils in my school, and I look down on their heads every day, who have the same amount or even less hair on the top of their head than you do. So, don't be sad. I mean it. It's okay.
And the longer I watch your photo the more I'm sure that it looks absolutely okay. It's a good amount of hair.
Don't be sad, please.
And your bun is very pretty.

lillielil
March 1st, 2016, 08:01 AM
I have the same pocket mirror with a brush :)

And on my VERY HONEST opinion, it looks absolutely okay.
I have pupils in my school, and I look down on their heads every day, who have the same amount or even less hair on the top of their head than you do. So, don't be sad. I mean it. It's okay.
And the longer I watch your photo the more I'm sure that it looks absolutely okay. It's a good amount of hair.
Don't be sad, please.
And your bun is very pretty.

I really appreciate that. Is it funny that I have never used the brush? Maybe on the tail of a braid once. But I always use the mirror!

My DW has a lot less hair than I do. So I see her very thin hair every day and think "I've got nothing to worry about - mine is fine." But then I look at a picture and see so much scalp. It surprised me. And I don't know if it has gotten worse. I need to take pictures as Arctic suggested. I also need to align my expectations with reality a bit more.