PDA

View Full Version : How do you give yourself a trim? Or how to trim Layers?

MotherofJames
October 16th, 2015, 03:30 PM
Hello,

Ever since I swore off salon hairdressers in August, I am looking for advice on how to trim my own hair. Best scissors? Best way to make sure the back is cut properly? I tend to get those split ends and dont want to be a trimmer, but it looks like my hair is telling me I need to do it about 3 times a year.

Thank you!

:confused:

cat11
October 16th, 2015, 03:33 PM
http://jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/2.shtml/JJJ%27s%20Self%20Hair%20Trim%20Method
This is how most do it. You can use a ponytail holder instead of your hands to smooth down the length, too. Its called feyes method.

lapushka
October 16th, 2015, 03:38 PM
Feye's trim for a blunt no layer cut. Here's her page on how to trim:
http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

If you want layers, there's the compact cutting technique where you make a ponytail and snip off a bit of that. You make a ponytail:

- on the top of the head for long layers
- on the top of the forehead for short layers (and one long back layer)

I wouldn't recommend the layering technique for hair shorter than BSL - otherwise you risk the possibility of the layers being *too* short!

Nique1202
October 16th, 2015, 03:49 PM
In addition to Feye's self-trim, you could S&D, just sit down once in a while and have a look at your ends with a pair of scissors to snip out split and damaged ends. It can thin out the hemline a bit over time and make it look a little more fairytaled, but it can help prolong the need to trim.

AZDesertRose
October 16th, 2015, 07:27 PM
In addition to the good advice you've already been given, I would recommend you go to a beauty supply store and invest in a decent pair of hair-cutting scissors (I think I spent around US$20-25 on mine a few years back), and use them for NOTHING but hair. It may seem like a lot of money to spend on scissors, but your hair will thank you in the long run, and you'll make it back in less than a year, probably, in what you won't have to spend at a professional salon.

Feye's self trim method is probably the easiest if you want a blunt or U or slight V hemline. I like a U hemline on my hair, so that's what I do, along with as-needed S&D (which stands for Search and Destroy, meaning go through your hair and snip off any split ends or "white dots," which indicate that the hair strand has broken.)

spidermom
October 16th, 2015, 08:51 PM
I was always getting uneven results from Feye's method, so what I do is part right down the middle and comb each side forward to combine into a ponytail right under my chin. I don't do anything special about my ears but proceed as though they aren't there. I then comb the ponytail straight down and close a book over it. Then I keep the book level and slide it straight down until I'm at the area where I want to cut. I use the book as a straight edge. This gives me a U shaped hem.

I use lapushka's method for my layers. A stylist originally cut my layers, and I found that they lined up best if I put the ponytail at the top-back of my head, right at that spot where the top of my head becomes the back of my head. When I pulled the ponytail over the top of my head to in front of my face, the ends were very nearly perfectly aligned. I use a second ponytail holder and slide it toward the ends, tightening it as needed, until I'm at the amount that I want to trim.

I'm usually very cautious about trimming and only cut about 1/4" at a time from either direction until I'm satisfied with my results.

I don't use the point-cutting method that is so popular on YouTube right now. That's when you slice vertically into your hair with the scissors to "soften" the ends. I don't like it.

Groovy Granny
October 16th, 2015, 08:58 PM
I was always getting uneven results from Feye's method, so what I do is part right down the middle and comb each side forward to combine into a ponytail right under my chin. I don't do anything special about my ears but proceed as though they aren't there. I then comb the ponytail straight down and close a book over it. Then I keep the book level and slide it straight down until I'm at the area where I want to cut. I use the book as a straight edge. This gives me a U shaped hem.

Do you look straight ahead for a *U* hemline?
I used that method @ 18 months ago when my hair was too short for Feye's, and can't recall what I did.
My trim is coming up in December and I can't decide what method I'll use.

MotherofJames
October 16th, 2015, 11:01 PM
Wow!!! This is all great information!! I'm reading through it well. I like the look of the "thick" V because of my hair texture but only if I start to cut it right . But I'm so so scared . I think I'm going to be watching lots of videos and reading all the links you girls posted on this. I'm petrified of messing up but I do get those white dots on my ends and there are some splits .

MotherofJames
October 16th, 2015, 11:02 PM
Feye's trim for a blunt no layer cut. Here's her page on how to trim:
http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

If you want layers, there's the compact cutting technique where you make a ponytail and snip off a bit of that. You make a ponytail:

- on the top of the head for long layers
- on the top of the forehead for short layers (and one long back layer)

I wouldn't recommend the layering technique for hair shorter than BSL - otherwise you risk the possibility of the layers being *too* short!

I agree! Maybe the layers should wait until I'm really waist length :-0

SparkleToes
October 16th, 2015, 11:09 PM
I read feyes method and I s&d when I see that it must be done but how I trimmed last time was I put my hair in a low pony after I brushed it and parted it down the middle (my usual part) and then gradually slipped the hair tie down the hair evenly until it's like two inches from the bottom then I put my hair over my shoulder and trimmed a small amount from the rubber banded piece. I bought scissors from sallys and they are really good.

spidermom
October 16th, 2015, 11:45 PM
Do you look straight ahead for a *U* hemline?
I used that method @ 18 months ago when my hair was too short for Feye's, and can't recall what I did.
My trim is coming up in December and I can't decide what method I'll use.

Yes I do. Too bad my answer is too short.

hypersensitive
October 17th, 2015, 01:36 AM
Wow!!! This is all great information!! I'm reading through it well. I like the look of the "thick" V because of my hair texture but only if I start to cut it right . But I'm so so scared . I think I'm going to be watching lots of videos and reading all the links you girls posted on this. I'm petrified of messing up but I do get those white dots on my ends and there are some splits .

Is okay to be scared. Just go slowly and triple check that you are cutting off what you want. Cut a little bit at a time. You will gain confidence the more you do it. I've been cutting my own bangs for years and is not a big deal anymore when it comes time to trim.

Zindell
October 17th, 2015, 02:18 AM
I use Feye's Hair Trimming method for the V-shaped trim.

>> The V-shaped trim (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/2156.html#cutid1)
I follow steps 1 and 2 and look straight forward. That gives me a slight V-shape.

I love the method since it's really easy to do and I like the hemline I get from it. :o

Groovy Granny
October 17th, 2015, 09:38 AM
Yes I do. Too bad my answer is too short.

LOL thanks :)

littlestarface
October 17th, 2015, 10:01 AM

I use lapushka's method for my layers. A stylist originally cut my layers, and I found that they lined up best if I put the ponytail at the top-back of my head, right at that spot where the top of my head becomes the back of my head. When I pulled the ponytail over the top of my head to in front of my face, the ends were very nearly perfectly aligned. I use a second ponytail holder and slide it toward the ends, tightening it as needed, until I'm at the amount that I want to trim.

I'm usually very cautious about trimming and only cut about 1/4" at a time from either direction until I'm satisfied with my results.

I don't use the point-cutting method that is so popular on YouTube right now. That's when you slice vertically into your hair with the scissors to "soften" the ends. I don't like it.

im gonna try this, i can never have a straight hemline with feyes method, one side always turns out longer then the other side

spidermom
October 17th, 2015, 10:10 AM
im gonna try this, i can never have a straight hemline with feyes method, one side always turns out longer then the other side

Just make sure when you bring the 2 sides together that the hairs are flowing forward so that the sides end up in the center of the ponytail, with the back ending up at the edges.
|||chin||| becomes \\\chin///
You don't want your hair crossing up; you want it to come forward evenly to the center under your chin (in front of your neck). As usual with a new method, take very small cuts - like 1/4 to 1/2 inch at first - to make sure you aren't getting a result you're going to hate.

Groovy Granny
October 17th, 2015, 10:12 AM
I kind of do a combo...under the chin...then Feye's middle part /check each side in front....then her swept to one side, and then the other check.

But that was when I was shorter @ MBL...and really scrutinizing my hemline.

I think I may be more relaxed this time with a longer length and perhaps trying a slight V or stick with my U.
My wurls cover a multitude of imperfections in my hemline ;)

littlestarface
October 17th, 2015, 10:16 AM
Just make sure when you bring the 2 sides together that the hairs are flowing forward so that the sides end up in the center of the ponytail, with the back ending up at the edges.
You don't want your hair crossing up; you want it to come forward evenly to the center under your chin (in front of your neck). As usual with a new method, take very small cuts - like 1/4 to 1/2 inch at first - to make sure you aren't getting a result you're going to hate.

oh ok thanks for explaining how its supposed to look, nothing ever does and i get confused as hell with whats supposed to be where.

Groovy Granny
October 17th, 2015, 10:21 AM

:thumbsup: Bookmarked for reference!

Robot Ninja
October 17th, 2015, 11:14 AM
I use Feye's Hair Trimming method for the V-shaped trim.

>> The V-shaped trim (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/2156.html#cutid1)
I follow steps 1 and 2 and look straight forward. That gives me a slight V-shape.

I love the method since it's really easy to do and I like the hemline I get from it. :o

I use the deep V-method, and ponytail my hair under my chin and slide the ponytail down like Spidermom does. This is because I can never get the two sides even otherwise, and because I look so far down that my hair ends up in my face.

This is after I do the compact cut layer trim. I put the ponytail at my hairline, but I'm not cutting off very much so only the top half of my hair is layered and the layers aren't as short as they would be if I went all out and gave myself an actual layered haircut.

spidermom
October 17th, 2015, 08:56 PM
I've been trimming a little bit at a time over the past few days because of too many split ends. I ended up moving my compact cut ponytail from the top of my head to just above my forehead so that I could trim more of the canopy. I definitely have more layering now, but I think I got most of the split ends off without losing much length (maybe 1.5 inches).

It seems like I'm always so careful with my hair that I never get to have any fun with it, and it still splits wildly every chance it gets.

MotherofJames
October 18th, 2015, 06:11 AM
There are so many amazing ways... So as a newbie to LHC, I never realized there was so many options . It's funny , I'm seeing everyone's heamlines and I'll "oooh that's pretty, I want that hair cut" or "wow look at hers! I want that ! " lol! So I keep changing my mind now on what to do. I think once I decide , I'll post a before and after . 😍👏😆

MotherofJames
October 18th, 2015, 06:14 AM
Actually , I shouldn't say "cut" . Just realized that ! I'm seeing that the correct term is "trim"

I am leaning more towards the "v" shape again . Just not as edgy or sharp. A rounded "v"? Lol. Is that possible !?! ��

Robot Ninja
October 18th, 2015, 06:59 AM
Actually , I shouldn't say "cut" . Just realized that ! I'm seeing that the correct term is "trim"

I am leaning more towards the "v" shape again . Just not as edgy or sharp. A rounded "v"? Lol. Is that possible !?! ��

Yes, it is. Basically you do the V-shape trim method, then you do the U-shape trim method just on the tip of the V.

littlestarface
October 20th, 2015, 11:34 AM
I've been trimming a little bit at a time over the past few days because of too many split ends. I ended up moving my compact cut ponytail from the top of my head to just above my forehead so that I could trim more of the canopy. I definitely have more layering now, but I think I got most of the split ends off without losing much length (maybe 1.5 inches).

It seems like I'm always so careful with my hair that I never get to have any fun with it, and it still splits wildly every chance it gets.

Yeh mine too, i never use heat, blowdryers, curling irons nothing. im super careful with my hair detangle with fingers and then gently with a TT an i still get splits and those ones with the white dot :rolleyes:

LongCurlyTress
January 22nd, 2016, 01:15 PM

Me too bookmarking! Thank you Spidermom!! I will try this method! ;)

Groovy Granny
January 22nd, 2016, 01:19 PM
Me too bookmarking! Thank you Spidermom!! I will try this method! ;)

Per your pic comment....yes it was THIS method....and I love it; snip...done....even.
Having wurls helps; not sure sleek straight hair peeps could get aways with no tweaking after the snip :shrug:

Jadestorm
January 23rd, 2016, 03:34 AM
I use Feye's method too. It's quick and easy and it looks great every time :)

PixieP
March 31st, 2016, 06:46 AM
Question: I wear my hair in a sidepart. Should I still part it down the middle when cutting it?

Zesty
March 31st, 2016, 06:50 AM
Question: I wear my hair in a sidepart. Should I still part it down the middle when cutting it?

I usually wear my hair slightly off-center, but I still parted down the middle for trimming (when I last trimmed, long ago) and it's always looked fine. In my mind doing otherwise would lead to a wonky hemline. But someone else might have a different answer/be able to explain it better. I *do* change my part sometimes, so it wouldn't make sense for me to cut it in a side part anyway.

PixieP
March 31st, 2016, 07:01 AM
That's what I thought, I just wanted to make sure. Since it seems most longhairs have a more centered parting.

Nique1202
March 31st, 2016, 07:09 AM

The difference will probably only matter if you wear your hair down a lot, and mostly just because you have very straight hair which will show any differences in length more than wavy or curly hair which shrinks unevenly to begin with. In updos or even half-ups, it won't really make any difference at all, because the only sections that will be affected are right on top of your head.

Basically if you part in the middle to trim then part to the side for everyday, then the side opposite your parting will have a section that's a little shorter on top that looks a little like layers when worn loose. If you trim in your usual side parting, then you run the risk of your parting line changing a few millimeters one way or the other next time you part it which will give you an uneven look on one or both sides (either longer or shorter, depending on which direction the parting moved).

If your parting is deep to the side, then you could go halfway in between it and the center to lessen the effect, or you could just part it in the middle and deal with one side looking a little bit more layered than the other side (probably an inch or two at the very ends) when you wear it down.

PixieP
March 31st, 2016, 07:44 AM
Thank you Nique! I'll start out with a middle part and take a few millimeters as a time and see how it ends up. I don't mind if it looks a little layered, as long as I can get the general hemline to look more soft U than deep V!

Cg
March 31st, 2016, 08:39 AM
I use Feye's method for a beautifully straight, blunt hemline.

Groovy Granny
March 31st, 2016, 01:33 PM
I part in the middle...and use the under the chin method (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=134527&p=3103221&viewfull=1#post3103221) for a soft U; looking ahead as I secure my hair.

Arctic
March 31st, 2016, 01:36 PM
I always part in the middle (when trimming), and I change my part (as in hair style element) often. My face frames are a different story, but I won't go there.

PixieP
March 31st, 2016, 01:41 PM
I did it :D Results here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=137144