PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever accidentally ripped out your hair?

M.McDonough
October 16th, 2015, 02:53 AM
It's happened to me more than once. It happened to me this morning actually. I opened a bottle of milk and poured some into the bowl. I was wearing my hair down and when I closed the bottle, a hair got caught in the top-screw. Next thing you know, my hair got ripped out...lol
I freaking hate it when this happens..
Share yours, if you have any

Alex Lou
October 16th, 2015, 02:56 AM
I have a dress that ties in the back. I was actually untying it and some of my hair got caught in the bow loop or something. :( I thought that I only had to watch out while tying it. It was some fine hairs at the nape of my neck so they broke off easily. They had fallen out of my bun. I can't seem to keep those ones at any length. Oh well.

furnival
October 16th, 2015, 04:03 AM
Urgh... It happens every time I have my hair down, which is only once a day! Buttons on cuffs are a classic- I'll reach out for something and the button will trail through my hair until it catches and rrrrrip... If I'm visiting my folks', their stair bannister has a tiny flap of wood sticking out and if I ever run down their stairs with my hair down I end up being jerked backwards by my hair as a chunk of it catches in the flap. Ow. In fact, I have such horrible experiences every time I have hair down that I feel quite paranoid during the morning finger-combing session until I can get it safely put away again. It's not that I'm terrified of losing hair, it's more the awful ripping sensation and sound. :(

*ReiKa*
October 16th, 2015, 04:04 AM
Oh yeah, plenty of times!
It is painful, but sometimes it's almost unavoidable, even if you're being extra careful.

sarahthegemini
October 16th, 2015, 10:40 AM
Oh yeah, all the time!

missrandie
October 16th, 2015, 11:41 AM
I lost some hair to one of my mini ficcare clips the other day! And no, it didn't get caught in the spring.. it got caught under the acetate! I was beyond livid. I almost removed the acetate right then and there.

Yesterday, I lost an inch of one hair to a mini claw clip. It got caught next to the spring and my hair is too short for me to see where it was caught, so I figured it was better to lose length than damage the follicle. So I snipped the hair. Nearly threw the clip in my rage moment.

lapushka
October 16th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Maybe the odd hair, but there needs to be quite a bit of force behind it to actually rip it out, and more than a few strands; and before that happens. I mean... I'm always careful on wash day. I don't think it's very much safe to wear hair out that is extremely long. That's why I wear it up during my waking hours.

Eiderduck
October 16th, 2015, 12:23 PM
Oh yes.
My two favourites are shutting my hair in the car door (don't know how I do that as my hair is really short) and ripping the hair at the nape of my neck out when it gets caught on my collar stud for a hood.

meteor
October 16th, 2015, 12:58 PM
I'm actually a lot better at avoiding those moments now that I always wear hair up and am actually aware of what I do to hair when I handle it.

My hair still gets caught and ripped sometimes... but wearing hair up really helps.

Years ago, back when I used blow-dryers, I routinely had hair strands sucked into the mechanism and pulling out hair with force. :scared: The smell of burnt hair caught inside the mechanism was lovely, too. :lol:

littlestarface
October 16th, 2015, 02:40 PM
yes ugh everytime i wash my hair it gets stuck like under my boob or somewhere else and ill pull it and try to flip back behind me and *rip* :doh: and i always cry about it too in the shower literally tears and be like im so sorry hair :wail:

Zesty
October 16th, 2015, 05:46 PM
I had my hair up in a folded braid and walked into a branch while following my dog once. It caught a decent sized chunk of hair at my crown and tore it out at the root. :( But that kind of thing is very rare, I'm careful with my hair and wear it up all the time etc.

AutobotsAttack
October 16th, 2015, 07:28 PM
yea I have. Its usually when I catch a tangle in my comb and im not gentle enough or slow down fast enough when detangling, its always just one hair that's disrupting all the other behaving hair lol

school of fish
October 16th, 2015, 07:40 PM
Oh for sure! Careful as I am, sometimes a single hair gets caught on something and gets taken out. Annoying and a bit ouchy in the moment, but no big deal in the grand scheme :)

Horrorpops
October 16th, 2015, 09:12 PM
Yes!! I hate it when this happens. Sometines even if I am just finger detangling and I can hear that dreaded snapping sound. :shudder:

Car windows, handbag straps and sleeve buttons are other common culprits.

trolleypup
October 16th, 2015, 09:15 PM
Yes.

When don't notice that I have stepped on it when kneeling.

Frankenstein
October 16th, 2015, 10:10 PM
Almost every time I wear it down. :eek:

dancingrain91
October 16th, 2015, 10:30 PM
My nails rip out a few hairs. That's really my biggest culprit.

spidermom
October 16th, 2015, 11:51 PM
The worst was one day when I was squatting in the kitchen playing with my puppy (who is now 12). I stood up and RIP! A little cluster of maybe 10 hairs had gotten caught on a hinge of the cabinet door and were ripped out by the roots. Later I got to watch that little cluster of hairs grow back because they stuck straight out for more than a month.

yahirwaO.o
October 16th, 2015, 11:58 PM
Yes, when I want to french or dutch braid my clean straight hair. When im crossing the strands I can hear that awful sound!!!!! It has to be dirty or with other type of texture.

LegoCaltrops
October 17th, 2015, 03:24 AM
I've caught it in my heated tongs - the type with a brush. I threw that away as it took a lot of hair with it when I finally got my hair free, and there was no way I was using it without the brush part, (i.e. with the tong directly on my hair).

I also burnt myself a partial fringe once, studying with a candle on my desk during a power cut. Thankfully I've never been a hairspray person.

DH caught a long lock of DD's hair in a fastening on his bag a few months ago. She now has a curl that sticks out of her braid about 6 inches above the end. It looks quite sweet but I wince when I see it. (I had to cut it to free her, she was panicking as she's only 3.)

HairPlease
October 17th, 2015, 06:41 AM
Yes, all the time. :( Different culprit every time, I can't place a finger on any, but I know the familliar "RrripSNAP!".

Nuala
October 17th, 2015, 04:37 PM
Almost every day a hair gets stuck in the hinges of my eyeglasses and when I take them off, the hair is yanked out :eek:

LegoCaltrops
October 17th, 2015, 05:02 PM
Oww! I'm always super careful wirh my glasses. And my headset at work (I have take calls occasionally, office job).

two_wheels
October 17th, 2015, 05:28 PM
Oww! I'm always super careful wirh my glasses. And my headset at work (I have take calls occasionally, office job).

Aggggghhhh headsets! I love mine for long work chats... But when it's time to say goodbye, my colleagues laugh at me because I have to take my hair down completely, untangle it from the headset, then put it back up again. Every time.

I categorise my colleagues into two groups: ones I'm willing to use the headset and do longer calls with, and ones I'm not :laugh:

two_wheels
October 17th, 2015, 05:28 PM
Also the peg for the C string on my cello. Sigh

DreamSheep
October 17th, 2015, 06:02 PM
Many many times :( My glasses eat up a lot of hair, as does one of my jackets if my hair ever ends up down!

My bf also has a knack of accidentally pulling out my hair. Once he pulled out ten in one go - I wasn't happy! (and yeah, I counted them).

Robi-Bird
October 17th, 2015, 06:05 PM
My glasses keep my bangs short. The snorkel mask ate chunks :( on my holiday. But barettes are my eternal nemisis. Every time I use them they have a feast. So they've been banished from my house.

Ashflower89
October 17th, 2015, 08:26 PM
This has never happened to me until 2 years ago at work. I work around kinda sharp metal car parts, and it was the dead heat of summer. I was lifting a long part in the air and spun around, and the overhead fan blew my hair sideways and *chop* a handful of hairs came out. I was pretty traumatized. o.o

spotsb4myiz
October 17th, 2015, 08:53 PM
My cordless drill ate a chunk while I was fixing fences yesterday in the windstorm.

LiiAme
October 19th, 2015, 12:10 AM
The worst case I've ever had of ripping my hair out was when I was about 10 years old (yes, 20 years later and this event still stands out in my mind). At the time my hair was nearing waist and close to the longest I've ever had my hair. Anyhow, so it was a Sunday morning and I was, for some arb reason, really energetic. My hair was loose and I ran past an open door... a section of hair behind my left ear got stuck on the handle of the door and the entire section ripped out of my head! shudder: Oddly enough, this is the exact spot I'm sprouting my first bouquet of greys from.

M.McDonough
October 19th, 2015, 01:43 AM
Looks like we've all gone through this horrible experience :doh: oh, well..

ummyahya
October 19th, 2015, 02:04 AM
Not really, but my 7-month-old baby compensates for me... Hair is his favourite thing, and the flyaways around my head are little by little getting plucked... OUCH!

Hairkay
October 19th, 2015, 11:19 AM
Yes, the worse one I remember is from childhood and it got caught somewhere near the car roof, some sort of hook. I ripped out a little coin size patch from the roots.

cathair
October 19th, 2015, 01:09 PM
I think my Mum's dog ripped some out when I was playing with him yesterday. Was bouncing around and my braid was a bit lose and he shoved a paw through the right side of my hair. I heard a few rips, but I can't work out how much he's taken. There were some shorter bits there anyway. I can't tell if those shorter bits won't stay in a braid today because I've just washed it or because I lost a chunk.

It's annoying that it was up too, technically. Just not tight enough. Maybe I should only wear buns around dogs :/

The right side normally feels thicker, the left does today. It's very unnerving and unbalancing. I am kind of hoping it's more in my head than real. Maybe it's my parting? If I can't work out exactly what's gone, I can't be missing that much, can I? That's how I am reasoning with myself.

Anyway, is life isn't worth living if you can't play with animals.

MINAKO
October 19th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Hair+wind+chewing gum is a classic for me, lol. Apart from that i'm actually pretty lucky... So far!?

Alacris~
October 20th, 2015, 01:46 PM

I second this! When I have my hair in a braid or even a bun it gets caught in the peg. But when I undo the braid, my hair gets caught in between the strings and my fingers.

It is a never ending battle!

wilderwein
October 20th, 2015, 01:55 PM
I accideantally rip/break hair strands daily, no matter how careful I am. But the worst case from the last year was when I was finger fixing some hair strands, and they were kinda wrapped on my finger. Then suddenly my sisters comes in the bathroom, I got scared couse I didn't even knew she was home, and made a weird movement that lead to the loss of -at least- 10 hair strands.
It's just 10 hair strands but it felt like I had ripped all of my scalp or something (I was afraid to look at my finger) -_-

Becs
October 20th, 2015, 02:08 PM

Oh my goodness yes so much this!!! This is a constant struggle for me. It's nice to see others have the same issue haha. My cello professor recommended I get those weird pegs that you put a key in to turn (kinda like this (https://www.google.com/search?q=posture+peg+cello&espv=2&biw=1273&bih=1011&site=webhp&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMI05yyn-3RyAIVDutjCh3HswW1#imgrc=yVeDwLCtygUxPM%3A)) because my hair kept getting caught during lessons and it would take me a bit to extricate myself

irodaryne
October 20th, 2015, 02:20 PM
The hair at my hairline is constantly getting stuck in my glasses and getting ripped out. I usually take them off very slowly to try and catch them before they break off (if they get stuck I can sort of take off the glasses and bend the arm a bit to free them) but some times...... :bigeyes:

I also have a bad habit of smacking my head into the top of where the car door goes, you know the part that has the rubber bit where the door goes when it's closed? Yeah, that's where I smack my head at.... and rip out a couple hairs. Far too often.

semontgo87
October 20th, 2015, 07:52 PM
Basically anytime other people have to deal with my hair (and they aren't hairdressers). So for example, I am currently finishing up a round of physical therapy. My therapist sometimes works on the top of my spine and the muscles there at the back of the head. She tries to be careful, but almost always managers to get some strands tangled on her hands/nails/ring, and doesn't realize it until she moves away or has me sit up, and then there is that horrible ripping/breaking sound and sensation. :(

About 10 years ago I had to do a sleep test, and they glue wires to your head using papermache like stuff, AFTER rubbing you with an abrasive chemical ("to get rid of dead skin"). There was a whole lot of ripping and shedding going on, not just at the time of the test, but for weeks afterwards, as I tried to pick out all the papermache/glue stuff from my scalp. :(

JadedByEntropy
October 20th, 2015, 09:05 PM
not until recently when i stood up and some had gotten caught in my shoe. :'( it was a small chunk, but it was out by the roots

Nuala
October 21st, 2015, 01:58 AM
Yesterday a small chunk of about ten hairs got stuck in a barrette... A few hairs got pulled out and I had to cut out the rest.

goneJackal
October 24th, 2015, 09:09 AM
I don't rip my hair off very frequently, but I burned it twice already (with candles). http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_lingua.gif

Sarahlabyrinth
October 24th, 2015, 09:16 AM
yes, randomly and unpredictably, and annoyingly. Only when my hair is loose though, which is one reason why it is up most of the time.

Arctic
October 24th, 2015, 09:18 AM
Practicing new braids usually means some hair breakage and even ripping, but once I get the hand movement and pattern down I break or rip no hairs.

juniperjetcat
November 3rd, 2015, 10:00 AM
Funny story - I just accidentally ripped out my hair trying to measure it for this forum! The metal piece at the end of the tape measure somehow tangled into my hair and got stuck. After a minute of trying to detangle I just resigned myself to the fact that the tape measure was going to forever be a part of me and slumped down into a chair... sitting on the tape measure and accidentally ripping out some of my hair!!

xbanannax
December 1st, 2015, 07:34 PM
My most recent memory of a large chunk of hair being ripped out by the roots involved Aphogee 2 step protein treatment. Oh the stickiness... I didn't realize my hair was wrapped (more or less glued) around my fingers. I pulled my hand away too quickly and took maybe 6-10 hairs out of my scalp. UGH! Worst of all, I did it to myself. I couldn't even blame it on the dog or something.

Sweets
December 1st, 2015, 08:51 PM
Those chairs and desks at school. Elementary through university, you can't escape them!

Jo Ann
December 1st, 2015, 09:05 PM
I got Up Close and Personal with my vacuum once...I was changing the belt for the beater brush and threw the "ON" switch...forgot to tie my hair back when I started this project, and it got caught in the beater brush... :shocked: It definitely was a new look for a while, because all of my front hair was wrapped around the beater brush...took me about 15 minutes to get free of the dang thing!

*Note to Self: Remember to tie hair back (if loose) BEFORE you do anything where it can get truly and royally trapped...*

nalgena
December 1st, 2015, 10:45 PM
It has happened to me a few times, that when I was drying my hair with my head upside down, my hair got caught in the back of a blow dryer, the part which looks like a little net and it gets very hot. It always happened when I was drying my hair on the right side of my head (I'm right handed). I don't know what I'm doing wrong, maybe the blow dryer was a low quality one? Anyway, I had to rip out the hair from the blow dryer and cut off the damaged ends.

ThrowNormanAway
December 1st, 2015, 11:56 PM
Hasn't happened with my hair in ages, but years ago as a teenager, I was using an eyelash curler for the first time. I accidentally snagged my eyelid skin, flinched, and ripped out half my eyelashes. Yeah, that was bad... Luckily I haven't had any terrible instances with my head hair. But also when I was a kid, I would very very frequently yank out hairs and rip out tangles rather than detangle. I didn't give an f! Haha

RavenMane
December 2nd, 2015, 12:19 AM
Several years ago, a friend standing behind me was helping me stand up from the ground by pulling my hands up. He didn't realize he was standing on my hair, and a bunch got ripped out as he pulled me to my feet. Ow!!!

chen bao jun
December 2nd, 2015, 01:05 PM
Oh, gosh, yes.

That's one reason I prefer to wear it up except in special controlled situations.

It's really not that hard to do with my hair type. Pass under a tree for instance, it will snag on a branch--you get the idea. OUCH.

fortunately I've never ripped out more than a few hairs at a time by accident, never enough to have a scalp bleed.

Other people have ripped out my hair a fair amount. Happens almost every time I am foolish enough to let someone else detangle. They WILL start from the top and go fast, even hairdressers. With my hair, you just CANT.