PDA

View Full Version : Toppik Hair Building Fibres - Anyone Tried Them?

cathair
October 14th, 2015, 08:45 AM
I was watching a youtube video about braiding and this video about how to hide a receding hairline came up in the related videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P04pS4yQiNQ

She used something called Toppik hair building fibres to add more 'hair' to her hairline. I'd never seen anything like it before! So I looked them up, they seem to be some sort a keratin flakes with a static charge so they cling to your hair.

cathair
October 14th, 2015, 08:49 AM
[Ah 1 video per comment]

I watched some male videos and they seem to be able to cover some quite extreme hairloss with them, again I was quite shocked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izb4Xo-KEA8

I was wondering, has any one tried them? Do they work of is this just youtube wizardy? Would they actually work on bald spots or does there need to be some hair there?

I am curious because my Mum permanently lost a lot of hair after radiotherapy. I'm almost tempted to buy her a sample size one to see what it's like, but I would hate to do that if it's just more snake oil. That would just make things worse, rather than doing something nice for her if that were the case.

missrandie
October 14th, 2015, 08:55 AM
I've seen it in Sally's Beauty supply before.. It really is tiny itty bitty colored fibers. They do for your head what a pencil or shadow does for your eyebrows.. Just fills it in. If you use too much, it's probably going to look funny, but I think sparing use in an appropriate color would be fine. I have also seen people use eyeshadow on their scalp to hide scalp cleavage as well.

It would stick better if there is fuzz there, and I think it might just look sad in excessively thin spots, like on my dad's head. It would just look silly on him. Your mom might be a different case.

Mind you, it is not by any means a permanent solution, but it may definitely change the way her hair looks on a temporary basis.

I don't think it would hurt to try it.. It isn't going to hurt her hair.

MsPharaohMoan
October 14th, 2015, 09:05 AM
If it has a static charge that clings to hair, I would assume you need some hairs present for it to work... Otherwise the flakes would just sit on your scalp and, as she mentions in the vid, can be easily wiped off.

cathair
October 14th, 2015, 09:12 AM
Thank you both for your replies :) I think you're probably right, it probably would either look funny or not work on bald spots. She has a little bit of fuzz there, but not a lot.

She normally side parts her hair which covers most of it but it can look thin at times. She's lucky she had three times my circumference to begin with! But even so she's lost about a third of it.

I kind of wondered it you could apply it to the hair that side parted to cover that spot, but I noticed in the video they apply it to the scalp, then comb the hair over the top, so I kind of doubt that would work either.

I think curiosity just got the better of me!

She's so good about it, she never complains even though I know she doesn't like it. But I do wish I could do something for her.

missrandie
October 14th, 2015, 09:23 AM
You might be on to something with the "spray into covering hair" thing. It would make the covering hairs less see through. And heck, you might as well spritz the fuzz too. It might surprise you!

Bless your heart for trying to help her out!

MsPharaohMoan
October 14th, 2015, 09:34 AM

This. Maybe take her out for a mother daughter spa day, or color her nails for her, or give her a scalp massage while you guys watch a movie? She sounds very sweet and deserving of some pampering :)

Agnieszka
October 15th, 2015, 02:13 AM
I use it sometimes when my hair thins due to low iron. It's great in my opinion but you have to be careful not to use too much.

furnival
October 15th, 2015, 06:15 AM
A couple of years ago I was sitting in a pub in Edinburgh when I noticed an older fellow at the next table sporting the most bizarre clump of what appeared to be spray-on hair over his bald patch. It was obvious that it'd been sprayed on; the individual 'hairs' lay at all angles, like a kind of nest. The lighting in the pub was low but it was still glaringly obvious that this man had sprayed something weird on his bald patch. I was very tempted to invent some reason to go and talk to him so I could get a better look, but I'm sure it would have dented his pride if he'd seen that I was unable to tear my eyes from the top of his head. I don't know if it's the same stuff as in the video you posted though- I can't watch it on my phone, but I would caution that 'miracle' products are often only miraculous in the adverts... :p

(Though who knows, maybe that was different stuff and nowadays everybody is using spray-on hair and it looks so natural that I have no idea that's what I'm looking at!)

Horrorpops
October 15th, 2015, 06:56 AM
How interesting! I've never seen anything like this before. I hope someone on here has had experience with this kind of product, such a sweet idea for your mum. I hope she is doing well after her treatment. :o

cathair
October 15th, 2015, 07:46 AM
You might be on to something with the "spray into covering hair" thing. It would make the covering hairs less see through. And heck, you might as well spritz the fuzz too. It might surprise you!

I'll keep scheming :) but it might be one of those things that just is. I did come up with a sort of crown braid that covered it really well because it held all the hair inthe right place, but she said it took too long and she couldn't/wouldn't learn it herself. I don't think she believes me braids are trendy at the moment lol :)

This. Maybe take her out for a mother daughter spa day, or color her nails for her, or give her a scalp massage while you guys watch a movie? She sounds very sweet and deserving of some pampering :)

A spa day is probably a much better idea, thanks MsPharaohMoan. I might see what I can do to make that happen instead :)

I use it sometimes when my hair thins due to low iron. It's great in my opinion but you have to be careful not to use too much.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with it :) I think that would be the worry, I would probably need to use half a tub to cover that patch unfortunately. It's a bit more than thinning. I'm still curious it it would do anything on the parted hair, but it might not be worth the stress that trying would cause. I suppose I just wondered if it was miraculously realistic.

A couple of years ago I was sitting in a pub in Edinburgh when I noticed an older fellow at the next table sporting the most bizarre clump of what appeared to be spray-on hair over his bald patch. It was obvious that it'd been sprayed on; the individual 'hairs' lay at all angles, like a kind of nest. The lighting in the pub was low but it was still glaringly obvious that this man had sprayed something weird on his bald patch. I was very tempted to invent some reason to go and talk to him so I could get a better look, but I'm sure it would have dented his pride if he'd seen that I was unable to tear my eyes from the top of his head. I don't know if it's the same stuff as in the video you posted though- I can't watch it on my phone, but I would caution that 'miracle' products are often only miraculous in the adverts... :p

(Though who knows, maybe that was different stuff and nowadays everybody is using spray-on hair and it looks so natural that I have no idea that's what I'm looking at!)

That's interesting you mention it going in all different directions! That would be a dead give away for sure :) This seems to be more of a powder than a spray, although there appears to be a spray application for it. But I am sure the same would apply on a large area. I think my Mum would be mortified if that happened, I think she'd rather people saw the bald patch. That was very sweet of you to not burst his bubble :)

How interesting! I've never seen anything like this before. I hope someone on here has had experience with this kind of product, such a sweet idea for your mum. I hope she is doing well after her treatment. :o

She's doing very well thank you for asking :) We are so lucky in that respect, so a bit of lost hair is nothing really in comparison. It's been quite a long time passed, but the hair loss appears to be very permanent. For some known reason she grows a little fuzz in that area when she uses Ojon shampoo, but it never really gets past being long peach fuzz.

Agnieszka
October 15th, 2015, 10:02 AM
Cathair, I'm sorry I was in a rush and didn't read all of your post. I thought you were thinking to experiment with it yourself (not that you need it, you have stunning hair).
Product like Toppik you also can buy in larger Boots, it's called Nanogen and costs about £18. It's a powder and it sits on your scalp, providing coverage and also it binds to the hair and makes them look thicker. It washes off in the shower and it comes in many shades. I normally use light brown, which is quite ashy. I really hope it could work for your Mum! It does transform my hair in seconds just like in the commercial but my hairloss patches were quite small. Not sure how would it look when really large area needed to be covered. Maybe Nanogen sells samples? All the best for your Mum!!!