PDA

View Full Version : Hair loss

Estrid
October 14th, 2015, 08:15 AM
Well, hello there! Not the most cheerful title, and I know I've talked about my concerns earlier, but I think I'll make this thread anyway.

I was not sure if I should put this in the mane forum or the health one, but since it is about hair (obviously health too, but hair over health right? right??) I put it in the mane forum, if it is wrong I don't mind if you mods move it :)

I have been paranoid about my hair for more than a year, it started when I tried CO-washing for 4 months (before I joined TLHC) and thought I lost more hair. Since then the paranoia has been there.

Now to the real thing though, I have lost hair, I'm just not sure how much I have lost, or how quickly it went away, but I have lost thickness.

When I joined here I measured my ponytail circ. to be spot on 10 cm, when I finally could get all my hair into the ponytail without any effort I measured 9,2 cm and thought I'd just done a poor job measuring it earlier. Now the circ. is down to 8,7 cm and by touching my hair, holding it etc, it feels thin to me. I know this is a perfectly normal thickness (aka not thin), but the last times I had this length my hair never felt like this.

Now, I have booked a doctors appointment but it is more than a month from now so I suppose I could try to speculate what it could be caused by till then. I know I have iron issues, but I've had that since before I was a teenager, so I doubt that would be the reason (+ I take supplements).

Any ideas what it could be caused by? I eat well (but that obviously never helped with the iron), I did not eat too well before, but I have eaten normally for more than 6 months now and hair keeps falling (maybe it is in the middle of a seasonal shed-period now though). I am not stressed and I sleep well. My body has acted weird to some foods since april (I'll bring that up to the doctor), not sure what my body is up to.

What should I tell the doctor? That I want to know all that can be told from a blood sample? :silly:

It feels like I am the only one that notice it, and I probably am, since my hair doesn't look that different, and whatever it is caused by it seems to be happening slowly.

/Margo

lapushka
October 14th, 2015, 08:29 AM
First off, I'd stop CO-washing. Get a sulfate free shampoo, and give it 3 months (at least) to see if it lessens any. It should be noticeable in a few washes, but stick with it even though you may not see a difference at first glance.

Second, the iron. Needs to be supervised by getting regular bloodwork done. A month is still very far. Iron shortage is a KEY building block in hair care. If short, you'll *notice* it, hair will get thin *fast*. So do get it checked *again* (needs to be checked at the very very least yearly).

Estrid
October 14th, 2015, 08:35 AM
First off, I'd stop CO-washing. Get a sulfate free shampoo, and give it 3 months (at least) to see if it lessens any. It should be noticeable in a few washes, but stick with it even though you may not see a difference at first glance.

Second, the iron. Needs to be supervised by getting regular bloodwork done. A month is still very far. Iron shortage is a KEY building block in hair care. If short, you'll *notice* it, hair will get thin *fast*. So do get it checked *again* (needs to be checked at the very very least yearly).

Oh, I've not CO-washed since may 2014, I stopped after getting too paranoid about the amount of hair I lost every shower. I'm sorry if I was unclear in my OP :)

About the iron, I suppose it could be it, but it feels strange since my hair was thick when I had the least of it, and last time I checked (2 years ago), my iron was not alarmingly low, but yeah, I take supplements and should probably check the levels a bit more often. My iron has been low for over 10 years, and I have never really had an answer to why that is (maybe I should bring that up with the doctor).

/Margo

lapushka
October 14th, 2015, 09:09 AM
About the iron, I suppose it could be it, but it feels strange since my hair was thick when I had the least of it, and last time I checked (2 years ago), my iron was not alarmingly low, but yeah, I take supplements and should probably check the levels a bit more often. My iron has been low for over 10 years, and I have never really had an answer to why that is (maybe I should bring that up with the doctor).

Definitely bring it up, and every cycle you go through, that's when you lose the most iron (a whole week). So keep that in mind as well. That's why our old internist never took blood when on a cycle, because it could skew the results to show you were short in iron when other times you were just fine.

Estrid
October 14th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Definitely bring it up, and every cycle you go through, that's when you lose the most iron (a whole week). So keep that in mind as well. That's why our old internist never took blood when on a cycle, because it could skew the results to show you were short in iron when other times you were just fine.

I'll bring it up. I don't lose much blood anymore because I take medicine, but my iron is still low, it is odd, they used to blame my heavy bleeding x)

Oh well, Guess I'll find out someday in december how it all looks.

/Margo

Nique1202
October 14th, 2015, 10:08 AM
If you're going in for an iron checkup anyway, if you can get a full blood workup done to identify any other issues (thyroid, vitamin levels, etc.) and bring up ANYTHING else that seems weird or different in the last year or two, just to be sure there's not another cause. Especially if your body started reacting differently to some foods recently, there could be some kind of allergy or some kind of condition that could also affect hair health, and plenty of conditions get worse over time if they're untreated so it's not that unusual to see hair suffer first and then feel other effects if it's something related.

Estrid
October 14th, 2015, 10:22 AM
I will try to have them check as much as possible, I do think I might have to leave a stool sample if I want an answer to my food issues, not sure if that could be spotted in the blood alone.

I wish it wasn't one and a half month away, feels like an eternity.

Margo

browneyedsusan
October 14th, 2015, 01:12 PM
Get your bloodwork done. Something smells "off" to me.
Also, any hormonal shenanigans? (They can wreak all sorts of havoc!)
How old are you? Hair changes as one ages. Have a look at your Mom's hair, and other female relatives. Mine was really thick as a kid, is fine/medium now, but I'm 49! ;P

I tried CO washing, CWC, and WCC; but shed a kitten every time I shampooed, so ended up with just the normal, traditional WC method! lol!

Margo, it could be anything.
I'd cool your heels, eat your clams, chicken livers, and sardines; and pester Dr. about your bloodwork. Let Dr. know your thinning hair is a concern, and you want to drill through it. :)

Estrid
October 14th, 2015, 01:32 PM
I have lack of progesterones (not sure if this is something they've proved or just something they assumed, it was long ago they said that to me, maybe I should ask about this too) and bleed a lot if I don't take hormone pills. I used to take normal combination birth control pills but a little less than a year ago I changed to mini pills because I have auras. I take those every day so my hormone levels shouldn't be that off, really. But I suppose some other hormone could be acting up.
I am 23, I started taking birth control pills to not bleed that much when I was 17, so I dare to say that it is not caused by that medication x)

I am pretty sure that it is something internal that causes it or maybe I am supposed to get thinner hair now (doesn't really make sense to me, but what do I know, maybe my body thinks I'm old). :silly:

I mentioned that I shedded more when CO-washing because that is what made me more aware and paranoid, I doubt that this that I am experiencing now would be caused by my washing routine x)

Thank you all for the answers! They help me think and consider things. I wish the appointment was in the end of this month and not the end of next month, but I can't do that much about that

/Margo

Christine_O
October 14th, 2015, 03:25 PM
I brought hair loss concerns to a doctor once and he shrugged it off. I should have gone for a second opinion. Make sure you get tested.

jera
October 14th, 2015, 05:58 PM
Iron supplements should help if that's your problem but if it's your hormones your doctor will know and tell you what to do. Do you shed? Collagen supplements stopped my shedding dead in it's tracks 5 years ago and I haven't been without it since. Try to relax about this. You sound overly concerned for hair loss that no one else is noticing. Stress is bad for you hair and for your health overall. Also the change in seasons from summer to fall always used to make ME shed more. I don't know about anyone else but seasonal shedding is for real. Relax. Okay? You're going to be fine.

Silverbrumby
October 14th, 2015, 09:35 PM
What is the hormonal difference between the mini pill and the other one you were on before? Some women lose hair with some pill ingredients and not others. I recall some lose hair on the IUD as well. If the mini pill isn't working for you hair wise maybe they could try a different combination or solo ingredient.

Also too much iron causes hair loss. If you are not bleeding so much you COULD just cut that supplement down and see if it slows e shedding. A blood test is best though.

Thank you all for the answers! They help me think and consider things. I wish the appointment was in the end of this month and not the end of next month, but I can't do that much about that

/Margo[/QUOTE]

Estrid
October 14th, 2015, 10:31 PM
I am not more stressed about this than I've been for the past year. I'm only mildly concerned and I doubt all my hair would fall out of my head tomorrow :p But hair loss usually indicates something else, so yeah, I scheduled a doctor's appointment.
I've been a bit on the fence about if I actually am losing thickness or not (the change is so subtle and is happening so slowly, not having any number for what my thickness was before sure makes it harder to know), but I am noticing that my hair is thinner compared to some years ago.
Thank you for the collagen tip, jera :) I notice that I shed more now than I did some months ago, and thats been going on for some months and might very well be seasonal, like you said. This change in thickness is me comparing what I have now to what I had some years ago, so that should not be caused by seasonal shedding.

Silverbrumby, The mini pill does not contain any estrogen, only the other hormone. This change in thickness started before I got on the mini pill, so that should not be the reason. What I know there are no other hormone options, only the combination or the one I take now, and then ofc several different makers. I used to take medicine like cyklokapron before I started with hormones but they slowly lost their effect on me, I started with two every morning and evening and ended when I had to take 3 pills 3 times a day. I have considered removing the uterus, since it would solve the bleeding issue, but I'm not sure about that yet. It would be cool to not have to take any hormones.

/Margo

Estrid
October 14th, 2015, 10:35 PM
I brought hair loss concerns to a doctor once and he shrugged it off. I should have gone for a second opinion. Make sure you get tested.

Since I have a history of iron deficiency and anemia I doubt they would shrug it off, I'm sorry that happened to you. We know our own bodies the best.

I do think they might wonder what I am talking about, though, my hair is still on the thicker side where I live. But yeah, they shouldn't shrug it off.

/Margo

Silverbrumby
October 15th, 2015, 05:47 AM
My sister had an ablution of her uterus lining which helped but it means no children. Good luck with this. I hope they find the issue.

Arctic
October 15th, 2015, 06:05 AM
It doesn't really matter if person's hair originally had 15 cm pony circ which after hairloss would be 10 cm pony circ. Even if it would still be thick, and thicker than many people naturally have, the hair loss is real and tangible, and as was said, it's always an indicator of something. Thick haired persons shouldn't be brushed off with their hairloss just because of what genetic makeup they happened to have when it comes to the number of follicles. It doesn't matter if there is "more to lose" than an avarage person, before it comes visible to others, hair loss is always (probably to most people anyway) depressing and disheartening experience. Hair is big part of our self-identity and can affect quite a bit to self-esteem.

I have often found that doctors need to be really stressed, really highlighted about your symptoms. Strong word choces need to be used to them, when explaining the symptoms. I assume it's because they hear people's complaining all day long every day, and they can get a bit numb after a while. If you have data (like shedding rates or pony circ measurements) or photos, show them to the doctor. Tell them clearly about your observations and worries. Read beforehands about the subject so you are familiar with some terminology, and so that you can ask questions with a language the doctor understands. You could also then ask certain test, if they are not automatically refering to them. Make sure they look at your scalp.

I'm in a similar boat myself too. Slow hair loss which took me a while to even notice, and long waiting time to get to the doctor. My appoinment is November 5th. I thought I will sent the doctor some scalp photos (before and after type of photos, which show the changes of hair density) beforehand, so they can have a look when they have time and are not rushed. I will also provide the pony circ measurements I have, and explain that I am more versed with my hair than an avarage person because it's sort of been my hobby for years, and that I am very certain about these changes.

vpatt
October 15th, 2015, 09:57 AM
I just know how some doctors can shrug things off. I agree with Arctic about how to talk with the doctor. I would stress hair loss as a medical symptom. If he thinks you are concerned just with how it looks he/she may not take you as seriously. That is wrong of them but I think they sometimes do that. Talk about the food issues. Try to seem as if you are considering their opinion even if you disagree. Some doctors really don't want to hear our opinions, but want us to consider them as gods. Sorry to sound so negative......I hope your appt. goes really well and you are able to get some answers that will be helpful.

And the doctor may be wonderful, caring and helpful. There are good ones out there.

renia22
October 15th, 2015, 10:59 AM
Sorry to hear about your hair loss, Estrid, and that you have to wait so long for your appointment. In addition to the other suggestions, do have your liver checked out as well. If it's not working at an optimal level, it could contribute to hormone imbalances, nutritional deficiencies, etc. as far as certain foods making you feel funny, maybe try an elimination diet to see what could be causing it and if avoiding that food would make you feel better (gluten, soy, corn, dairy perhaps?). If you have a food intolerance, that could contribute to nutrients not being absorbed properly as well.

In the meantime, some simple things you can do to help detox & get your liver working at optimal levels is some strong ginger tea at night, and a hot epsome salt bath until you sweat (to help sweat out the toxins). In the morning, drink the juice of a lemon in an ounce of water (skip the lemon juice if on cholesterol or blood pressure meds), on an empty stomach. This would be a good time to take your iron, since the acids from your stomach and lemon juice will help break it down. At the very least this will give you more energy and help your body detox/ absorb nutrients better. Good luck!

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/liver-cleanse-foods/

Estrid
October 15th, 2015, 12:00 PM
Thank you all for your replies, they help :)

I agree with you all and have though about most of it myself before too. I am not sure how to ask the doctor to check everything in my blood and in the same time bring up my issues with my digestive system without sounding like a hypochondriac. I will have to think about it a bit.

I don't have any good before and after shots of my hair loss, it is barely visible on most photos I have from before, the last few years I've had rather short hair. I'd give all for a shot of me with a ponytail from a few years ago but I always wore my hair down, so there is no way to tell (my hair was and still is quite poofy). My scalp don't look any different, not that I've noticed. I can't wash too long with regular shampoos anymore since it will start to itch after X times of not using dandruff shampoo, but that's really the only difference I've noticed with my scalp.

I am a bit angry at myself that I did not go to a doctor earlier with the changed stool problem, I mean, I know that you are supposed to go to a doctor if that changes, and I've had this since april now. I suspect it might be fat that I am not handeling too well now, but I am not sure, some foods that don't look or taste fatty at all can make it happen too. First I thought it was carbonhydrates, but it doesn't seem to be. If you are sensitive to talk about feces (or are eating something at this moment) stop reading here. I've been havin issues with mainly the feces being loose, like porridge, more yellowish than it ever was before and at times it even looked grayish (atm it just looks dark brown because I take more iron supplements now than when this started), and it is extremely smelly. I know feces never smell nice, but it is just worse than ever. Tbh the word that comes to mind is: children, small kids. Not sure why but I link the smell to what babies feces smell like. I'm not sure how else to describe it (maybe my brain is just linking it to something random too, I don't know, I will not walk up and smell baby-diapers to make sure). The thing that surprise me the most about it though is that is seems to go through my system in an extreme speed, after I eat something that is not approved of it is out again in this porridge-like feces 30 min after. I suppose I could add that it comes with gases.

I am suspecting that it maybe is my liver or gallbladder that is up to something, and that makes me feel even more stupid for not making an appointment with a doctor a lot earlier. But oh well, I'm not dead yet!

I can do the ginger tea bit, renia22, but I don't have a bathtub so those I will have to live without. ;)

And good luck, Arctic, I hope the appointment goes well for you!

Appreciate the help!!

/Margo

Mya
October 15th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Oh, I've not CO-washed since may 2014, I stopped after getting too paranoid about the amount of hair I lost every shower. I'm sorry if I was unclear in my OP :)

If CO washing is the cause, you should allow at least 2 or 3 years to your hair to grow back to a length you can tie into a ponytail. Hair does not grow back all at once, that's why you need to wait that much (or even more).

After you lose hair, it's normal that your hair gets even (a bit) thinner: your longer hair sheds normally, but has no substitute to maintain a consistent thickness, since those hairs that should do that are growing back.

renia22
October 15th, 2015, 02:17 PM
Thank you all for your replies, they help :)

I agree with you all and have though about most of it myself before too. I am not sure how to ask the doctor to check everything in my blood and in the same time bring up my issues with my digestive system without sounding like a hypochondriac. I will have to think about it a bit.

I don't have any good before and after shots of my hair loss, it is barely visible on most photos I have from before, the last few years I've had rather short hair. I'd give all for a shot of me with a ponytail from a few years ago but I always wore my hair down, so there is no way to tell (my hair was and still is quite poofy). My scalp don't look any different, not that I've noticed. I can't wash too long with regular shampoos anymore since it will start to itch after X times of not using dandruff shampoo, but that's really the only difference I've noticed with my scalp.

I am a bit angry at myself that I did not go to a doctor earlier with the changed stool problem, I mean, I know that you are supposed to go to a doctor if that changes, and I've had this since april now. I suspect it might be fat that I am not handeling too well now, but I am not sure, some foods that don't look or taste fatty at all can make it happen too. First I thought it was carbonhydrates, but it doesn't seem to be. If you are sensitive to talk about feces (or are eating something at this moment) stop reading here. I've been havin issues with mainly the feces being loose, like porridge, more yellowish than it ever was before and at times it even looked grayish (atm it just looks dark brown because I take more iron supplements now than when this started), and it is extremely smelly. I know feces never smell nice, but it is just worse than ever. Tbh the word that comes to mind is: children, small kids. Not sure why but I link the smell to what babies feces smell like. I'm not sure how else to describe it (maybe my brain is just linking it to something random too, I don't know, I will not walk up and smell baby-diapers to make sure). The thing that surprise me the most about it though is that is seems to go through my system in an extreme speed, after I eat something that is not approved of it is out again in this porridge-like feces 30 min after. I suppose I could add that it comes with gases.

I am suspecting that it maybe is my liver or gallbladder that is up to something, and that makes me feel even more stupid for not making an appointment with a doctor a lot earlier. But oh well, I'm not dead yet!

I can do the ginger tea bit, renia22, but I don't have a bathtub so those I will have to live without. ;)

And good luck, Arctic, I hope the appointment goes well for you!

Appreciate the help!!

/Margo

^ oh wow, that sounds like a gluten sensitivity. Have you been tested for celiacs? Have you tried going gluten free?

p.s. Exercising until you sweat, or a sauna, would work in place of a hot bath :)

Estrid
October 15th, 2015, 05:53 PM
Mya, if that is the case there is not much more to do than to "wait and see". I will see on the results of the bloodwork (when I have taken those) if it could be caused by something else, else I will have to eat well, rest well etc and just wait and see.

renia22, I do have in my medical records that they tested me for that when I was maybe 14, but I never heard back from them about the results of the test (maybe my parents did, but I never heard anything), so I suppose I didn't have it. I guess you could develope it later (?), but this does not really come after typical gluten things. I mean... I can eat as much bread as I like without this happening, but potato salad - nope. I have tried to avoid things that look obviously fat-filled, but some things don't look like they are fatty. I dunno.

/Margo

renia22
October 16th, 2015, 02:25 PM
^^ it is possible to develop food allergies/ sensitivities as you get older. However, if you say gluten doesn't bother you, it's probably something else. You can always just do the liver detox/ eat off the liver cleansing food list and see if that helps. If not, you might want to think about doing an elimination diet. Your doctor may have you try that anyways. Good luck, hope you figure it out and feel better soon!

Rowdy
October 16th, 2015, 02:33 PM
^^ it is possible to develop food allergies/ sensitivities as you get older. However, if you say gluten doesn't bother you, it's probably something else. You can always just do the liver detox/ eat off the liver cleansing food list and see if that helps. If not, you might want to think about doing an elimination diet. Your doctor may have you try that anyways. Good luck, hope you figure it out and feel better soon!

Yes very possible. My friend's mother developed a severe intolerance to gluten when she was around 45-50. She never had any problems or sensitivity to it at all before that.

Estrid
October 16th, 2015, 05:26 PM
I will read into liver detox and see how easy that would be, I kinda wish there is just some simple test to it at the doctor x) I suspect he will ask me to leave a stool sample, not sure what that would show.

Thank you all for the answers again, I know it is quite long till I have the appointment with the doctor, I think I will have to prepare ahead how to talk about the food issue, I don't think I will find a way to make it less awkward for myself, though :p

/Margo

Nique1202
October 16th, 2015, 05:43 PM
I will read into liver detox and see how easy that would be, I kinda wish there is just some simple test to it at the doctor x) I suspect he will ask me to leave a stool sample, not sure what that would show.

Thank you all for the answers again, I know it is quite long till I have the appointment with the doctor, I think I will have to prepare ahead how to talk about the food issue, I don't think I will find a way to make it less awkward for myself, though :p

/Margo

There are liver function indicator tests that a doctor will have access to, and your doctor will know better from your history and your situation than strangers on the internet what to start looking for. Be very very careful with "detoxes" because at best they nearly always do nothing and at worst they can cause even more harm. It may be best to not do anything right now unless you suspect a specific food sensitivity (which doesn't seem likely given what you've told us) and to wait, even though your appointment seems far off. I know it's hard to wait like that but the internet is not full of doctors and even advice that seems harmless can sometimes be worse in the long run than letting things be, especially when you're already potentially ill.

Also, remember that your doctor has dealt with literally every bodily function by now, almost guaranteed. They're also bound by confidentiality. No reputable doctor is going to laugh or scoff or embarrass you or themselves when you tell them about the state of your stools or anything else. It's their job to listen and weigh the evidence. If you need to, write it in a letter and ask the doctor to read that because you're too embarrassed, but don't let that awkwardness hold you back from getting to the bottom of this thing.

Estrid
October 16th, 2015, 06:26 PM
There are liver function indicator tests that a doctor will have access to, and your doctor will know better from your history and your situation than strangers on the internet what to start looking for. Be very very careful with "detoxes" because at best they nearly always do nothing and at worst they can cause even more harm. It may be best to not do anything right now unless you suspect a specific food sensitivity (which doesn't seem likely given what you've told us) and to wait, even though your appointment seems far off. I know it's hard to wait like that but the internet is not full of doctors and even advice that seems harmless can sometimes be worse in the long run than letting things be, especially when you're already potentially ill.

Also, remember that your doctor has dealt with literally every bodily function by now, almost guaranteed. They're also bound by confidentiality. No reputable doctor is going to laugh or scoff or embarrass you or themselves when you tell them about the state of your stools or anything else. It's their job to listen and weigh the evidence. If you need to, write it in a letter and ask the doctor to read that because you're too embarrassed, but don't let that awkwardness hold you back from getting to the bottom of this thing.

I don't consider people here to be experts, so I am taking this all with a grain of salt. What I could do is drink ginger tea, I even have that at home, but I doubt I would be able to do anything more at this point even if I wanted to, I don't cook my own food and I rarely have the patience to think too much about what I eat. I have been avoiding very fatty food, or well, more than before atleast, not completely. I've not had the will to do it completely, probably since I am not sure what it is caused by + I like some of those foods to much x)
Sounds good that the doctor got liver function tests.

I know that the doctor will be good about it, I'm more about how I will say it without making myself feel stupid, I'm will either start smiling awkwardly or even giggle, which isn't something I want to do, so I will try to find a not-funny way to describe it, porridge probably isn't the best word, for example.

/Margo

renia22
October 16th, 2015, 06:46 PM
Estrid- just to clarify, when I said "detox", I was referring back to my original post regarding the ginger tea & the link that said which foods to incorporate for the liver (garlic, olive oil, lemons & limes, leafy green veggies, cruciferous veggies, etc). Simple changes anyone can make. I was not referring to an herbal detox or anything, that would be best done under a qualified practitioner. I think you know what I meant, though..

Estrid
October 16th, 2015, 06:50 PM
Estrid- just to clarify, when I said "detox", I was referring back to my original post regarding the ginger tea & the link that said which foods to incorporate for the liver (garlic, olive oil, lemons & limes, leafy green veggies, cruciferous veggies, etc). Simple changes anyone can make. I was not referring to an herbal detox or anything, that would be best done under a qualified practitioner. I think you know what I meant, though..

Yes, ofc :) I will probably not eat more of those other foods you mentioned now more than I already do (I do have those in most things I eat, we like lime and lemons in my family, for example), but ginger tea I can do more for sure, I love ginger tea! I will read into it a bit more later, or well, tomorrow, at the moment it is in the middle of the night (not sure why I am awake, I think I woke up and forgot that it is still night). If there are other things I could eat/drink that doesn't need to be mixed with something else I could probably try that too.

/Margo

poompatta
October 30th, 2015, 07:57 PM
[QUOTE=Estrid;3101839]I have lack of progesterones (not sure if this is something they've proved or just something they assumed, it was long ago they said that to me, maybe I should ask about this too) and bleed a lot if I don't take hormone pills. I used to take normal combination birth control pills but a little less than a year ago I changed to mini pills because I have auras. I take those every day so my hormone levels shouldn't be that off, really. But I suppose some other hormone could be acting up.
I am 23, I started taking birth control pills to not bleed that much when I was 17, so I dare to say that it is not caused by that medication x)

I have been suffering from progesterone imbalance for past couple of years. Causes menstrual bleeding that never stops. It even caused a very low Aneamia, were I almost needed a blood transfusion. Luckily, I was able to skip the transfusion , replacing with complete rest and iron rich food. Aneamia does cause hair loss, also does birth control pills, which was prescribed to control bleeding.
The only time I noticed my periods getting normal(guessing progesterone levels are normal too) is when I started yoga. I am off my pills for past few months now, so focusing on my hair and keeping fingers crossed.
I am also hoping to find out alternative with proper food or juicing that can regulate my progesterone/periods issue.

Ingrid
October 30th, 2015, 09:29 PM
The stool symptoms sound like a mineral malabsorption issue due to gut bacterial disbalance and possibly parasite infection. Now there are lots of medical practitioners who don't recognise these conditions because they are difficult to diagnose and detect in standard testing procedures (they do diagnose candidiasis through blood tests but usually this is at a stage where it is completely endemic and cannot be treated). So I'd do some research on those on the side and see if any of the other symptoms sound familiar.

Ingrid
October 30th, 2015, 09:30 PM
I know that the doctor will be good about it, I'm more about how I will say it without making myself feel stupid, I'm will either start smiling awkwardly or even giggle, which isn't something I want to do, so I will try to find a not-funny way to describe it, porridge probably isn't the best word, for example.

/Margo

You might want to describe it as "aerated stools" :)

Estrid
October 31st, 2015, 01:16 AM
I have been suffering from progesterone imbalance for past couple of years. Causes menstrual bleeding that never stops. It even caused a very low Aneamia, were I almost needed a blood transfusion. Luckily, I was able to skip the transfusion , replacing with complete rest and iron rich food. Aneamia does cause hair loss, also does birth control pills, which was prescribed to control bleeding.
The only time I noticed my periods getting normal(guessing progesterone levels are normal too) is when I started yoga. I am off my pills for past few months now, so focusing on my hair and keeping fingers crossed.
I am also hoping to find out alternative with proper food or juicing that can regulate my progesterone/periods issue.

I'm happy that you are better today :) Lets hope you don't need to get back to those pills!
I suffered from severe anemia when I was 11 caused by excessive bleeding. 6 months after I got my first period ever I was admitted to the hospital with Hb 49, got 3 bags of blood to get my Hb up to a better number and then I was given a bunch of different medication and yeah, since then I've not really been without medication. That was long ago now and my periods are regular when I am off the pill, I have tried to stop a few times just to see if the periods are still the same, but I still bleed like there is no end. Even if it only lasts for 5-6 days at a time it is very hard to live with.

By the way they spoke about my (assumed?) progesteron issue it almost sounded like they didn't know if I produced it at all. Very confusing. I think I will have to ask a doctor about it, but this one I am seeing in a month might not be the right one to ask, should probably make an appointment with a gynecologist.

The stool symptoms sound like a mineral malabsorption issue due to gut bacterial disbalance and possibly parasite infection. Now there are lots of medical practitioners who don't recognise these conditions because they are difficult to diagnose and detect in standard testing procedures (they do diagnose candidiasis through blood tests but usually this is at a stage where it is completely endemic and cannot be treated). So I'd do some research on those on the side and see if any of the other symptoms sound familiar.

Now you made me think of little parasites feasting on me xD Haha!
After looking up the symtoms myself it feels like it could be a million different things, but I will keep possible bacterial imbalance and parasites in mind.

"Aerated stools" don't seem to have a good translation to swedish, sadly >> Might just have to call it porridge! Porridge explosion... Gosh, this will be interesting to talk about with a doctor.

/Margo

poompatta
November 1st, 2015, 10:18 PM
I'm happy that you are better today :) Lets hope you don't need to get back to those pills!
I suffered from severe anemia when I was 11 caused by excessive bleeding. 6 months after I got my first period ever I was admitted to the hospital with Hb 49, got 3 bags of blood to get my Hb up to a better number and then I was given a bunch of different medication and yeah, since then I've not really been without medication. That was long ago now and my periods are regular when I am off the pill, I have tried to stop a few times just to see if the periods are still the same, but I still bleed like there is no end. Even if it only lasts for 5-6 days at a time it is very hard to live with.

By the way they spoke about my (assumed?) progesteron issue it almost sounded like they didn't know if I produced it at all. Very confusing. I think I will have to ask a doctor about it, but this one I am seeing in a month might not be the right one to ask, should probably make an appointment with a gynecologist.

/Margo
Estrid, I am speechless! I am very sorry to hear about what you Are going through. I hope you get back to normal soon. Just to let you know, after the trouble with periods stared for me and I had to take pills, I knew I had find a solution for this and turned to Ayurveda. Ayurveda believes in bringing balance to body functions, which in turns makes everything normal. I was treated with Ayurvedic medicines for just 1 month, I had normal periods for 6 months, without pill. But like you said, I would only know if I am normal, if I stop the pills. After 6 months the problem started again and it went for too long, I fell Aneamic. I had to get back to my pills immediately. I was not able to restart my Ayurveda, due to the fear( it takes 1 month for Ayurvedic medications to take effect). It does not work immediately like the Allopathy/pills.
I really wish to try some natural remedies and Ayurveda and I highly recommend for you too. I will be starting it this December and will definitely keep you updated.
p.s. I am still learning how the posts work here in forum, so please pardon any errors

Ingrid
November 1st, 2015, 10:40 PM
Margo, if you're having trouble describing it (although I think porridge is a pretty easily understood descriptor!), maybe refer the doctor to the Bristol stool chart? https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9e/BristolStoolChart.png/370px-BristolStoolChart.png ?

I really hope you can get things sorted out soon! :flower:

dancingrain91
November 2nd, 2015, 09:45 AM
They might need a stool sample from you to help determine the problem. I would describe noticable hair loss and thinning and the porridge like stools as best you can without using too much medical jargon. Just because in my experience they might ignore you more if they think you've been on the internet trying to self diagnose. Be as descriptive as possible about the color, smell and texture as well as what you are doing or eating before experiencing these symptoms. Keep a food and stool log if possible for the time remaining between now and your doctor's visit and bring it with you. You can definitely tell them you have lost 2cm of thickness in your hair and you know this because your hair is a hobby. 2cm is quite a loss.

I would also avoid any detoxing or self diagnosing in the meantime. Just get as much raw data as possible about what you are experiencing, present it to the doctor and let them work with you to find what is wrong.

Estrid
November 2nd, 2015, 11:36 PM
Thank you all for the help, I appreciate it :)

Margo, if you're having trouble describing it (although I think porridge is a pretty easily understood descriptor!), maybe refer the doctor to the Bristol stool chart? https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9e/BristolStoolChart.png/370px-BristolStoolChart.png ?

I really hope you can get things sorted out soon! :flower:

Thank you for the link, I've heard of that chart before :) I'm not sure if I will have a good way to explain it even with that chart, there does not seem to be any common swedish word for it, but maybe the doctor would get it anyway.

/Margo

Arctic
November 3rd, 2015, 06:20 AM
Doctor's have read etensively English material during their studies and later as practioners, don't worry about the doctor not understanding English terms.

Estrid
November 3rd, 2015, 06:25 AM
Doctor's have read etensively English material during their studies and later as practioners, don't worry about the doctor not understanding English terms.

It is more about how I would say it without having to repeat it so that the doctor knows what I am talking about. I don't doubt that they know more than me on terms and other things. I just don't want to repeat myself in several different ways when I describe **** (literally) :p

/Margo

lapushka
November 3rd, 2015, 06:37 AM
I don't doubt that they know more than me on terms and other things. I just don't want to repeat myself in several different ways when I describe **** (literally) :p

It's your health, so I doubt they'd mind. ;)

Estrid
November 3rd, 2015, 06:46 AM
It's your health, so I doubt they'd mind. ;)

Haha, it is me I'm thinking about, not them! I don't want to get uncomfortable, it is weird enough trying to have a serious discussion about poop. :redgrin:

I need to grow up, but I'm not sure if I want to.

/Margo

Arctic
November 3rd, 2015, 06:53 AM
Well, be assured the doctors have seen and heared it all; bodily functions are what they deal with every day. You can say you feel awkward, you can write things down and give the note to them, print the chart that was suggested (or ask them to open that webpage). If the doctor is good one, s/he won't make you feel awkward but will encourage you to tell about the resons behind what made you book the appointment. They need data to solve your health problem (they are Sherlock Holmeses of the bodily kind), and the more data you can give, the better they can help you. No thing is too *insert word* for them.

Maybe you could imagine you are talking about other person's symptoms to them. That might help.

Estrid
November 3rd, 2015, 07:02 AM
Well, be assured the doctors have seen and heared it all; bodily functions are what they deal with every day. You can say you feel awkward, you can write things down and give the note to them, print the chart that was suggested (or ask them to open that webpage). If the doctor is good one, s/he won't make you feel awkward but will encourage you to tell about the resons behind what made you book the appointment. They need data to solve your health problem (they are Sherlock Holmeses of the bodily kind), and the more data you can give, the better they can help you. No thing is too *insert word* for them.

Maybe you could imagine you are talking about other person's symptoms to them. That might help.

Hahaaaa, no no, I won't do that, making people aware of that I am awkward and uncomfortable just makes stuff worse. I'll just go in there with a pokerface and say as it is, hand the doctor a list of all things I bring up (Mother wants me to make them start an "investigation" again) and that will be it.

I know doctors hear about things like that all day long, it is not that I am uncomfortable about, I am just socially awkward to start with, having an awkward topic does not make it better. No need to tell them about it, won't make it better. My best performance has always been when I am confident that people don't know who I am or what I feel.

/Margo

jocelyn anne
January 21st, 2016, 04:00 AM
I love vegetables and meat at the same time. My sister is a nutrisionist, and she advised me to eat more iron-rich foods.