PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for going natural colour

lucy.kate1994
October 13th, 2015, 08:46 PM
Hi everyone, I've been having my hair coloured for years now, both at the hairdresser and at home. Most recently I have got blonde highlights but before that I has an all over ash brown colour that had been put over my red hair I dyed myself. I would really love my hair to be all or mostly natural but I really don't want to lose any length by cutting off the dyed parts as it grows. The problem is I still have some red tones in my hair as well as ashy brown and blonde so I'm not sure if I should have it coloured all over to match my natural coloue or let it grow and have lowlights that match my natural hair? Any help will be most appreciated :)

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah320/lucy_kate1994/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfzuzyrvo.jpeg (http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/lucy_kate1994/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfzuzyrvo.jpeg.html) This photo most accurately shows the colours in my hair at the moment

kaylenfalse
October 13th, 2015, 09:21 PM
I'm giving up chemical dye too. I dyed my whole length back to my natural color, but what I've found is that my damaged hair was not able to hold onto the color at all. It faded out completely, so there's a noticeable difference between my roots and tips. The parts closer to the virgin hair, which had been dyed less, held onto more of the dye and smooth the transition between my virgin hair and dyed. The effect would be nice if my dyed hair hadn't turned a brassy color that I don't like (It had previously been bright red). All hair will react differently, and your hair's ability to hold onto dye will be determined by its type and the level of damage it has sustained. You should look at the "growing out chemical dye/bleach" thread to get some ideas about how different techniques will look. I think most people try to dye the whole length close to their virgin color to grow out. You may eventually want to cut out the dyed parts to achieve a uniform appearance, but I do kind of like the two toned effect. I have about 5" of virgin growth, and it looks cool in a french braid.

spidermom
October 13th, 2015, 11:54 PM
If it were my hair, I would grow it out and let it be two or more toned. You can use hair-bands or hair-slides to blur the line of demarcation, also braid ribbons/yarn/skinny scarves into your hair. From what I've seen, it's difficult to achieve natural color with dye, particularly dye over dye. That's why I wouldn't bother with more dye. As it grows, the dye will fade, and eventually where your natural color ends and the dye begins will be harder to see.

Zebra Fish
October 14th, 2015, 03:16 AM
I'd let it grow. I don't mind weird combination of colours, I used to have 3 reds once xD (not like highlights, but literally bottom part used to be dyed, then I used henna and then Manic Panic so the MP would stick differently at each "substrate"). If you don't like it after few months, you can always put the high/lowlights to blend it better.

Horrorpops
October 14th, 2015, 05:44 AM
When I grew out my bleach I tried having it dyed close to my natural colour to prevent roots etc but it just kept washing out because my hair was so damaged and porous. While you may not have that problem as your hair looks like its in good condition, I know its pretty impossible to dye hair to perfectly match the natural colour. Even if it matches initially the dyed sections ofte can get brassy, or fade. Basically it is tricky and requires frequent touchups.

If you aren't at the stage where you just want to grow it all out, it might be worthwhile to have the upper part of your hair matched to your roots to create more of an ombre effect that you can grow out. I think that tends to have more success than an all over matching. And thankfully ombre/sombre/and balayage are still on trend and can help mask growing out hair.

All over lowlights will also work but will still appear different to your roots which will appear more unidimensional than the high/low lighted ends.

But I think it's really hard to have a seemless grow out process, but it can definitely be worth trying to get an easier transition. Honestly your length already seems to be a pretty close match to ash brown roots, it'll mainly be the highlights and red tones that'll be the give away. It seems like you've already got a great base to start from! And your hair looks gorgeous and healthy so it'll look fab as it grows and blends with the natural roots.

I eventually just grit my teeth and grew my bleach out, I found the "Giving up the dye/bleach and growing out natural? Share your progress (http://Giving up the dye/bleach and growing out natural? Share your progress.)" thread to be a big help in both advice and commiseration during this time :o

Anje
October 14th, 2015, 08:17 AM
For the moment, I'd let it grow. See what color the roots are.

If your hair were a color other than red, I'd say to go to a professional colorist and then get the length more or less matched to your roots. But red conventional dyes fade really badly, so it might not be a one-and-done thing.

You might be a better candidate for an application of dilute henna. It isn't something that matches well to anything, but it is an extremely permanent red and you can get results that look very natural in dilution. With some pics of your natural hair, a few of us crazy henna-heads may be able to advise you further.

Edit: You'll find I don't recommend henna very often, especially to people who are in the habit of dyeing their hair. I tend to make an exception for natural redheads. You already know that your natural color is rather orangey, and won't be shocked that henna is also orangey. It's a given that it'll go well with your coloring. It's a given that your hair is a color that stays in the yellow-orange spectrum even with bleach. The only danger redheads really have with henna is chasing the dragon of that first brilliant fire-color they see when their hair dries. :D As an auburn-turning-brown who hennas, I know that struggle!