PDA

View Full Version : Another hair growth thread :p

SparkleToes
October 13th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Hey Everyone
so I am starting a thread that has probably been written a thousand times, and it's on the age old mystery of hair growth *collective gasps* . A bit of background; I am currently working on growing out my hair I am at bsl right now and my hair history is quite damaging. I colored my hair red for a year straight every month like clockwork then it was dark brown for a couple of months followed by more brown, burgandy then red again after I got tired of red and wanted to go back more natural I bleached all of my hair to strip the dye I did this twice I think, ​after that I dyed over that and got highlights. I highlighted again in july(pretty sure July). So my hair has been damaged :(now I am on the quest for long locks, I've managed to repair a lot of the damage through conditioning and masks. Alright now to the real part , I want to know from all you experienced hair growers;
1. Was there anything that sped up your hair growth
2. What was your growth rate when you started and what was it like after
3. Was there anything that didn't work
I've combed (pun intended ) through some of the other threads but if you know of a good thread definitely leave it in the comments! oh and I only wash about once to twice a week but I condition more than that and I deep condition at least once a week
Thanks ;)

spidermom
October 13th, 2015, 03:16 PM
Hey Everyone
[SIZE=3]I've combed (pun intended ) through some of the other threads but if you know of a good thread definitely leave it in the comments! oh and I only wash about once to twice a week but I condition more than that and I deep condition at least once a week
Thanks ;)

1) No, but I didn't even try. I figured that my best friend would be patience. My strategy was avoid checking my length except for once per month, otherwise put my hair up without even looking at it and get busy with other things. I did my best to keep up with good health habits like plenty of water, sleep, exercise, diet, etc. I figured if the rest of me was healthy, it would bring out the best in my hair. I also trimmed regularly because I had heat damage from curling iron and flat iron.
2) The last year that I kept records, my hair averaged 2/3 inches of growth per month. That included months of almost no growth (winter) and months of fast growth (end summer early fall). I don't pay attention to that anymore. I find that the more I obsess about my hair, the more fault I find with it.
3) Baking soda was a disaster for me; it made my hair a matted mess. Trying to go too long between washings was not good for me, either. I developed seborrheic dermatitis, which I had never had before. I don't know if letting my scalp get oily was to blame or something else, but it couldn't have helped.

Robi-Bird
October 13th, 2015, 03:23 PM
1. Was there anything that sped up your hair growth: I haven't tried.
2. What was your growth rate when you started and what was it like after: My hair grows an inch or more a month. Bad diet or good diet, it grows.
3. Was there anything that didn't work: When I took a multivitamin I didn't see any change in my hair but I was hoping for nail improvement, didn't get it, so didn't care. As far as taking care of my hair, it seems to lend itself to oiliness and frizz so finding anything that tames the latter without exacerbating the former has been a challenge. Mostly I accept the frizz and leave my hair to do its thing.

SparkleToes
October 13th, 2015, 04:30 PM
1) No, but I didn't even try. I figured that my best friend would be patience. My strategy was avoid checking my length except for once per month, otherwise put my hair up without even looking at it and get busy with other things. I did my best to keep up with good health habits like plenty of water, sleep, exercise, diet, etc. I figured if the rest of me was healthy, it would bring out the best in my hair. I also trimmed regularly because I had heat damage from curling iron and flat iron.
2) The last year that I kept records, my hair averaged 2/3 inches of growth per month. That included months of almost no growth (winter) and months of fast growth (end summer early fall). I don't pay attention to that anymore. I find that the more I obsess about my hair, the more fault I find with it.
3) Baking soda was a disaster for me; it made my hair a matted mess. Trying to go too long between washings was not good for me, either. I developed seborrheic dermatitis, which I had never had before. I don't know if letting my scalp get oily was to blame or something else, but it couldn't have helped.
I thought someone might say patience and I knowthat's probably the best but it's so hard haha I have the same problem with obsessing. I just feel like my hair hasn't grown in a while but maybe it's just me. Thank you;)

Christine_O
October 13th, 2015, 04:34 PM
I'm answering as a former longhair, getting back on track.

1. Was there anything that sped up your hair growth. Not cutting it.
2. What was your growth rate when you started and what was it like after. I don't measure yet. I figure I'm growing about an inch or so per month, but it doesn't matter. I'm on a journey, not running a race. :)
3. Was there anything that didn't work. Castile soap, and baking soda. My hair is also not too fond of oil, but I haven't given up on it yet.

SparkleToes
October 13th, 2015, 04:36 PM
1. Was there anything that sped up your hair growth: I haven't tried.
2. What was your growth rate when you started and what was it like after: My hair grows an inch or more a month. Bad diet or good diet, it grows.
3. Was there anything that didn't work: When I took a multivitamin I didn't see any change in my hair but I was hoping for nail improvement, didn't get it, so didn't care. As far as taking care of my hair, it seems to lend itself to oiliness and frizz so finding anything that tames the latter without exacerbating the formal has been a challenge. Mostly I accept the frizz and leave my hair to do its thing.
Oh my gosh an inch a month I wish!! I would be at my goal length in a year. I take a multivitamin and biotin( though I don't think biotin does anything for me) but I'm a vegetarian so sometimes I need extra vitamins. as a fellow wavy/curly I so understand the frizz problem. Thank you:) I'm just a little impatient :thud:

cathair
October 13th, 2015, 04:59 PM

Not cutting it and not thinking about it. The more I don't think about it and ignore it the faster it grows ;) Seriously, I just over shot a milestone that's never happened before.

I've had 8 inches in 3 years, so about 1/4 of an inch a month.

Listening to my Mum when she told me to trim it. The time to trim it according to her is always and more than it grew, apparently.

I know my answers sounds stupid, but there isn't really any answer apart from time. And not cutting too much off.

kaylenfalse
October 13th, 2015, 05:12 PM
I grow about 1/4" a month. I really think I'll listen to what all the veterans are saying about patience. I have healthy hair, nails, and skin. I don't want to mess any of that up by adding in an unnecessary supplement.

Horrorpops
October 13th, 2015, 05:48 PM
- the inversion method (but not consistently, it has worked some times and made no difference on others)
- stopping bleaching and excessive heat styling
- healthy diet, exercise and trying to keep on top of stress
- S&D frequently as required and trim ends only 1 time a year

- Was around 0.5"/month according to my roots but net growth was 0 due to damage and breakage.
- Now sits around 0.7"/month which I am pretty happy with.
- I also wasn't very physically or mentally healthy six years ago and those changes could easily have improved my growth rate as I am way less stressed and eat more nutrients and more food in general now. :o

- castor oil, I liked it on my eyebrows and lashes but never noticed a difference on my scalp. However I didn't do it very consistently because it was a bit of a pain really.
- the inversion method (sometimes)
- biotin and hair vitamins. Personally I feel changing my diet made a much bigger difference than taking vitamins and supplements (which I used to take by the ton!! shudder: I don't take any supplements or vitamins any more.)
- giving up sulphates and silicones made no difference to my hair, shedding or growth really

I am looking forward to reading everyone else's replies!! :D

Ashflower89
October 13th, 2015, 06:10 PM
- Heat in general definitely speeds up my growth. My hair grows the average 1/2" a month during the warmer months, and tends to slow down to 1/4" a month when its pretty cold. I know you can't do much about the weather you're in, but keeping a snug hat on in the winter may prevent slow-downs from the temperature.
- Water seems to be a big deal for my body at least. I get dehydrated easily, and since learning to like water and drinking at least 1 20oz bottle a day at work, my growth rate has been more consistently 1/2" rather than having slow-downs.
- I did start having hard-boiled eggs as a daily snack for a few months when I first started trying to grow out, and I do think it helped but I never properly recorded my length to figure out how much. I got burnt out on eggs and stopped eating them though.

- Before getting properly hydrated, my hair grew as little as 1/4" a month year round.
- It grows at a solid 1/2" a month now, which doesn't seem like a huge upgrade but it adds up.

- I tried Biotin for several months and didn't see any speed-up in growth, but my nails did seem to grow faster. Unfortunately, biotin also added to my breakouts so I gave it up.

Groovy Granny
October 13th, 2015, 09:02 PM
I don't think so; good care, a healthy diet,and inverting/using a BBB has kept my growth steady (.5'/month) and my hair healthy...but didn't speed it up.

I never really kept track, but going by growth after trims...it has stayed steady.
I found that patience, and well as trying new toys/styles, and putting it up/ forgetting it helped the most (mentally lol)

My only negative experience the past few years was having the argan oil in my shea moisture products stain my silver/white after months of regular use weekly. :(
Thankfully clarifying/chelating removed it...and I stopped using the products :p

MsPharaohMoan
October 13th, 2015, 09:55 PM
Inversion method, head massages, and boar bristle brushing. Scalp circulation in general!
I haven't kept track before. After seemed to be about a half inch every month.
monistat--but I wasn't consistent in application!

Zebra Fish
October 14th, 2015, 02:43 AM

1. No, but haven't really tried much as my scalp prefers to be left alone as much as possible.
2. 1cm/month average (maybe some mm less in winter and more in summer - I don't measure really)
3. Practically anything that included doing anything to the scalp: CO wash (that is horribly shed causing), scalp massages (looooove the scalogasms, but the shed after not so much), scalp oilings (oh the little kitten I shed after, doing this maybe 1-2 times per year), deep oiling treatments (same kitten from before :p - I have to be very careful to oil length only and not go through with fingers), inversion method (the only thing that happened was shed), henna (I do henna regularly, but I know I'll shed nicely when washing it out)

ETA: Forgot, washing hair upside down makes me shed like lots more then while standing under shower. Usually (out of shed season ofc) I shed very little while washing standing, but with upside down a small mouse gets out for sure. Am I the only one??

tigress86
October 14th, 2015, 04:43 AM
Inversion method with coconut oil + peppermint EO is my only experiment that seemed to work. I bet it was the peppermint, I've tried just the inversion method once before and didn't notice anything, and peppermint has scientific proof behind it.

My usual growth rate is 1 cm per month, the month I did the inversion method I got 1,1 or 1,2 cm, so just a tiny bit more growth, but at least it's something.

Like I said, just the inversion method alone. Taking a hair, skin and nails supplement resulted in lots of new growth around my hairline, but not faster growth rate.

Neelie
October 14th, 2015, 06:01 AM
Biotin imo is better for maintaining hair quality rather than growth. I use a hair supplement which has biotin, Zink, magnesium and folic acid in it and it certainly makes for good quality healthy hair. So that's worth something! I also use centrum vitamins for general health (I'm low on iron usually so better for me personally). Then atm I'm using the fortified amino scalp therapy shampoo and conditioner but not sure how much they really do. They are however sulfate and silicone free so I do like using them either way. And use aussie restorer conditioner with oils every odd time to up the health some more.

I don't use oils or head massages anymore due to shed! Tried inversion but didn't see any benefit. Actually I got light headaches and dizziness from it (low blood pressure..)

My growth is a steady 0.7" so I went from a shaved pixie style to 3.5" in 5 months :) if that's rule of thumb then I'm looking at about 8" per year :)