PDA

View Full Version : A tip for people with dry, damaged ends

ebaviisakas
October 13th, 2015, 08:46 AM
I figured I would share this, since I wish I had come across this earlier! My ends were very crispy/dry and damaged (6 years of jet black dye and then bleached to blonde). I read about scalp washing and decided to give it a try, basically what I do is only wash my scalp and the hair around my scull with shampoo and not wash my ends at all. Brush it with a boar bristle brush before to get more of my natural oils to the ends. I have been doing this for a month and the difference is very visible to me, the ends feel quite more moisturized and soft, I use oils also but it never looked as good because I guess I was just washing it all out every few days. Obviously it does not undo the damage but it feels a lot nicer.
Plus, hair takes way less to dry!

Idreamlong
October 13th, 2015, 08:57 AM
How do you manage to not get your ends wet? Surely the water would run down? Or am I being really dense?

Arctic
October 13th, 2015, 09:07 AM
Great tip!

How do you manage to not get your ends wet? Surely the water would run down? Or am I being really dense?

There are many ways, you can search some examples from you tube. Basically one method is, that you usually wash over sink, bent from waist. Hair needs to be pretty long, ofcourse. You might braid or ponytail it so, that hair is very loose on the scalp. Then you need to keep the tail away from the sink/shower head/water, and use the hand shower to keep the water on the scalp area. Your hair could get wet down to approx. shoulder level, but the rest will remain dry.

lapushka
October 13th, 2015, 09:15 AM
I believe there's a thread on scalp-washing only, no? :)

sarahthegemini
October 13th, 2015, 09:30 AM
Scalp only washing (as in not getting the ends wet at all) would never work for me, my length gets dirty faster than my scalp! What works for me is co-wash my length, shampoo scalp then rinse it all out.

kaylenfalse
October 13th, 2015, 10:48 AM
I have chemically damaged ends, and some (not a lot) of the damage is maybe 3" up the shaft, like a hole in the middle of the strand. I've been doing CWC and the Boar Bristle Brush, and the ends feel a little crispy, but soft at the same time. I'm still using cones and sulfate shampoo, because my one forray into natural shampoo and conditioner made my entire head feel really dry. I'm wondering, is it better to cut my damaged hair off now? Will the damage travel up the shaft if I leave it? I'm getting some hair sticks in the mail in about a month (lost my last ones, and pony tails made me lose a lot of hair), and I'm thinking about wearing my hair up every day to prevent further damage. When the healthy hair reaches my waist, I'll chop off the dry stuff. Would it be better to lose the damage now, or can I prevent further damage it by wearing it up/babying it?

spidermom
October 13th, 2015, 11:06 AM
kaylenfalse, I have noticed that my splits do widen over time, and I will often find a little twig sticking off the side of a hair 3 or more inches from the bottom, which I guesstimate happened because my hair split at the bottom, and the split traveled upward, breaking off as it went. That said, I've got enough split ends right now that I could use a 3-inch trim to get rid of most of them. However, I am very anxious to achieve classic length again, and if I don't trim much, I could be at that length in 8-10 months. So I'm going to try babying those ends and tiny trims and/or S&D occasionally.

I've tried various methods of keeping my ends dry while washing my scalp in the paszt, but my hair is champion at wicking the water, so the length almost always ended up wet anyway. Unless I'm clarifying my hair, I concentrate washing at the scalp and conditioning at the length. I do a pre-wash oil treatment also.

hennalonghair
October 13th, 2015, 11:17 AM
My routine is wet hair, condition from the ears down ( comb through ) and without rinsing wash scalp only with diluted shampoo. Rinse and condition ends again..
It works great.

meteor
October 13th, 2015, 02:20 PM
Great tip! And I agree, it helps. :agree:
If your hair is long enough and you are coordinated enough to pull this off comfortably and you don't wear much product (not only styling products, but all leave-ins, serums, oils...) and you aren't planning on re-styling / re-setting your hair, then scalp-only washes are a great option.

I do this when my scalp is greasy, but my length is dry/normal. It saves A LOT of time and effort (washing/detangling/drying) and reduces potential damage due to wet manipulation or hygral fatigue.
Also, the longer the hair gets, the easier it is to do scalp-only washes and the more useful they actually become (because the longer the hair gets the more annoying and time-consuming I think it gets to wash, dry, and detangle).

How do you manage to not get your ends wet?
There are many ways. It really depends on what's the most comfortable for you to do. You can braid the length (loosely and starting low, say from shoulder down) and hang up the braid at the level or higher than your eye level, using a hanger or tie it with a paranda/scarf/pantyhose to your shower curtain bar. Or you could hold the braid with one hand and wash scalp with the other hand.
The trick is to wrap your braid with plastic bag/saran wrap or a couple shower caps to keep the moisture from getting there too easily and just keep the braid away from the shower stream.
Some other great methods that I love:
Partial scalp-only wash (with a bun - easy to do over a kitchen sink, it's a bit like washing hairline only, best when the hair isn't really dirty): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBOVM-dHlc
Full scalp-only wash (with a braid held by shirt/bra - easy to do over a kitchen sink, as well; provides better access to nape and underlayers): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwREj8Kadlo

Yes, there are a few great threads on this. :)
First successful scalp-only wash - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=119848
My Easy Way To "Wash" Scalp Only - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=12756
Technique for scalp-only washing? - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=49219
Scalp-only washing - how long does your hair need to be? - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=26892

I have chemically damaged ends, and some (not a lot) of the damage is maybe 3" up the shaft, like a hole in the middle of the strand. I've been doing CWC and the Boar Bristle Brush, and the ends feel a little crispy, but soft at the same time. I'm still using cones and sulfate shampoo, because my one forray into natural shampoo and conditioner made my entire head feel really dry. I'm wondering, is it better to cut my damaged hair off now? Will the damage travel up the shaft if I leave it? I'm getting some hair sticks in the mail in about a month (lost my last ones, and pony tails made me lose a lot of hair), and I'm thinking about wearing my hair up every day to prevent further damage. When the healthy hair reaches my waist, I'll chop off the dry stuff. Would it be better to lose the damage now, or can I prevent further damage it by wearing it up/babying it?

Well, it's totally up to you. :) But you don't need to cut off that length just because of the damage. You could "Search & Destroy" or "dust" split ends or white dots if you have any. Babying hair and wearing it up, protecting it from the elements and avoiding new damage is going to be helpful to any hair, but more porous/damaged/processed hair benefits from TLC even more than virgin hair.

I'd look into pre-poo oiling (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/03/oil-pre-shampoo-or-pre-wash.html) with penetrating oils (coconut, olive, avocado, for example...) and adding protein treatments (e.g. gelatin DIY mask: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html or any commercial product) to help with temporary patch-up. Oils and silicones should provide good slip and elasticity to help keep the damaged hair more manageable (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/03/managing-elasticity-and-porosity-in-hair.html), and maybe you could benefit from LOC post-wash (liquid leave-in + oil + cream conditioner), as well. Keeping hair up (especially when it's windy) and sleeping on silk/satin (pillowcases/scarves or bonnets) are extremely useful for reducing more wear & tear. HTH! :flower:

kaylenfalse
October 13th, 2015, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the detailed advice, meteor! I will look into all of those and start adding them to my routine one at a time to see how things go.

sarahthegemini
October 13th, 2015, 04:20 PM
kaylenfalse, I have noticed that my splits do widen over time, and I will often find a little twig sticking off the side of a hair 3 or more inches from the bottom, which I guesstimate happened because my hair split at the bottom, and the split traveled upward, breaking off as it went. That said, I've got enough split ends right now that I could use a 3-inch trim to get rid of most of them. However, I am very anxious to achieve classic length again, and if I don't trim much, I could be at that length in 8-10 months. So I'm going to try babying those ends and tiny trims and/or S&D occasionally.

I've tried various methods of keeping my ends dry while washing my scalp in the paszt, but my hair is champion at wicking the water, so the length almost always ended up wet anyway. Unless I'm clarifying my hair, I concentrate washing at the scalp and conditioning at the length. I do a pre-wash oil treatment also.

Hi Spidermom - what benefits do you see from a pre-wash oiling? My hair gets very stretchy when wet so I'm thinking of using coconut oil.

spidermom
October 13th, 2015, 07:41 PM
sarahthegemini, I think it keeps my ends more moisturized and pliable. Before oil, my ends would get wicked dry and feel like straw. Even though they're still splitting, at least they feel good.

I must warn hennaforhair that leaving conditioner in the hair while shampooing can lead to Velcro ends. One has a negative charge and one has a positive charge, so when conditioner and shampoo are in the hair together, the ions cling to one another. I used the CWC method for years, and it seemed like a miracle until my ends began to stick together a couple of years down the road. Even clarifying didn't help much after awhile. Now I oil the night before I plan to wash my hair, and my ends are in much better condition.

Zebra Fish
October 14th, 2015, 03:49 AM
I must warn hennaforhair that leaving conditioner in the hair while shampooing can lead to Velcro ends. One has a negative charge and one has a positive charge, so when conditioner and shampoo are in the hair together, the ions cling to one another. I used the CWC method for years, and it seemed like a miracle until my ends began to stick together a couple of years down the road. Even clarifying didn't help much after awhile. Now I oil the night before I plan to wash my hair, and my ends are in much better condition.

Thanks for the tip! I do CWC, but guess will try with the oil on ends now. When are we going to see a length pic spidermom? :) Haven't seen one in a while. (or I have missed the thread somewhere)

I tried scalp only washed, but guess I'm an idiot for that, as I never managed to have the ends dry by the end. Hope I'll get it one day!

ebaviisakas
October 14th, 2015, 04:04 AM
For me, the easiest way to scalp wash is to put my hair in a looser bun or a ponytail and then just wrap one of those food storage baggies around it and secure with another hair tie.

hanne jensen
October 14th, 2015, 11:41 AM

Spidermom, what has saved my hair from a major chop is split repair serums. I use one from a salon after hairwash and a cheap supermarket one inbetween washes. They really do glue the splits together again. Sooner or later that split has to go, but it will prevent the split from travelling further up the hairshaft.

I've heard of splits that are called trees because the hair is split multiple times. I've got splits that are entire forests.

sarahthegemini
October 14th, 2015, 02:08 PM
sarahthegemini, I think it keeps my ends more moisturized and pliable. Before oil, my ends would get wicked dry and feel like straw. Even though they're still splitting, at least they feel good.

Thanks Spidermom. Also thank you for the warning regarding the CWC method (I know you wasn't specifically talking to me at that point, but I CWC too!) I'll see how I get on with CWC-ing (I've only recently made the switch) I'm close to BSL and plan to maintain there for a while anyway (thin ends) so although velcro ends wouldn't be ideal, it wouldn't be the end of the world - something for me to look out for though!

AutobotsAttack
October 15th, 2015, 12:56 AM

Yea there is. I saw it not too long ago. I think it's here and one in the conventional products forum too