PDA

View Full Version : I'm back...Ulcerative Colitis/Asacol and Shedding??

kittengirl
October 12th, 2015, 01:03 PM
I've been away from the board for awhile. My hair is back out to CBL and I was looking forward to getting it longer but I have been having a horrible shed lately. My hair was thick so it's not terrible yet but I lose handfuls. My colitis has been very bad since last Christmas and I am on Asacol which I know can cause shedding. My bloodwork usually looks as well as a person with bad colitis can be expected to. I see a new Doc next week and I do plan to talk with her about it....I am afraid to go on new meds because the ones like Humira scare me a bit. Mostly I was just wondering if anyone else has colitis and if they find that it causes shedding. I know it could also be stress, diet (sometimes when I'm not well I have trouble eating, so I don't think it's very balanced right now) etc. Anyone else having anything like this?

spidermom
October 12th, 2015, 01:16 PM
I do have a diagnosis of ulcerative colitis, but I've been in remission for nearly 3 years now. When it was at its worst, I didn't have increased shedding. I was on sulfasalazine.

I always have increased shedding late summer/early fall, however; happens every year but some years more intense than others. This year seems pretty average.

kittengirl
October 12th, 2015, 02:28 PM
I do have a diagnosis of ulcerative colitis, but I've been in remission for nearly 3 years now. When it was at its worst, I didn't have increased shedding. I was on sulfasalazine.

I always have increased shedding late summer/early fall, however; happens every year but some years more intense than others. This year seems pretty average.

I'm glad you're in remission...I think sulfasalazine is better than asacol but I am allergic to sulfa drugs. Hopefully it is a major summer/fall shed. That would be nice. Maybe then it will stop soon! :)

spidermom
October 12th, 2015, 11:34 PM
I hope your UC makes the turn into remission soon. I remember how miserable it made me.

kittengirl
October 13th, 2015, 12:30 AM
I hope your UC makes the turn into remission soon. I remember how miserable it made me.

Thanks so much! Yeah it really sucks. I'm afraid my toddler's first memories of me are going to be of looking at me over the little gate across the bathroom door and playing catch through there!

DreadfulWoman
October 14th, 2015, 01:12 AM
I have UC and have been on asacol for a couple years now. I've never noticed increased shedding from it although I had read that that is a possible side effect. For me, UC related hair woes (shedding and growth stalls) have always seemed to be the result of vitamin deficiencies. Iron has been the main culprit. I became very anemic when I was at my sickest with it, 2 years ago now, and have taken a prescription iron supplement ever since. My UC does not affect me much at the moment, but when it does it seems like my body doesn't really properly absorb vitamins and minerals, so while I might be getting enough calories, at the same time I'll be gradually developing a variety of vitamin deficiencies which affect my mood, my energy levels, and yes, also my hair growth. When I'm healthy my hair is healthy, and when I'm suffering my hair (and the whole rest of me) suffers too.

I don't know if that helps at all. Just my experience with it. Best of luck to you.