PDA

View Full Version : Was I secretly wavy?

Arctic
October 12th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Re-posting from another thread, to get more opinions.

Question to all of you, who thought you had straight hair, but found out you are wavies after all:

Did your "straight" hair act and look like straight hair or like mis-treated wavy hair?

I ask because I used to have straight (and fine) hair, and now I have wavy (and coarser) hair, and this has bothered me a long time, if I really had straight hair at all, or secretly wavy hair.

When I joined here in 2007 I typed myself 1a, but soon changed to 1b, because that was more accurate, as I always had had some bend at my ends. After a while I noticed suddenly I had a lot of strong s-waves, starting from the scalp. They seemed to appear out of the blue one day. The hair I have today, acts and looks like typical wavy hair, where-as my old hair acted and looked like typical straight hair.

This has always been a bit of a mystery to me, as it conveniently happened some time after I had joined LHC, and I no doubt had started to get my hair strands more moisturized. I know it's very common for members to notice waves after joining. But there are 3 buts.

One, that I had other hairtype changes also around the same time. My strands became coarser and wirier, and I developed clear wave growth patterns on my scalp (I mean previously my hair had grown flat against my scalp and straight down, and now the hairs at the roots started to form curving s-shapes, and were not growing straight down, although still grew against the scalp [with the exeption that during the recent year or so the hair at the top of my head has started to grow straight up rather than against my head, creating a natural root volume I've never had before]). My cowlicks at the crown also got bigger and worse. In general my hair changed, and started to behave like wavy hair.

Two, the waves that seemingly happened over night, were really impossible to miss, I could not have been without noticing them. Unlike so many who say they never really saw the back of their head [and thus never noticed their waves], I regularly saw the back of my head. I never since my teens have left home without checking the back of my head.

And third, my hair had always acted and looked like straight hair should until that time. I never had frizz or poof; these were foreign to me. My hair was limp, flat against my head, straight, smooth, silky, no body, no bumps, no volume. If the wearther was humid, my wavy haired friend's hair poofed up, while mine went if possible even flatter against my head, and hanged down super limp and straight - we always had laugh about the opposite reactions. I never blowdried, straightened or brushed. I did run a comb through after washing though routinely (now that my hair is wavy, a mere combing when wet or dry doesn't pull the waves out, and all I did was comb back then). My hair wouldn't hold curls at all, they dropped after few minutes. I couldn't really style my hair, as nothing stayed. Back combing slid down, styling products or blowdrying upside down couldn't give me volume, etc. I coloured my hair for years but by the time I came to LHC I had been henna-head for a long time already. Later I grew out henna and have had my natural colour now for several years. During my life I have had all hair lengths from pixies to APL-ish, once BSL, and before The Change my hair's straighness wasn't affected by the length, and now after The Change it's same thing, the length doesn't affect the waves.

My routine post-LHC did change: I started to experiment with CO, CWC, oiling... but in general I had nice, heatlhy hair without any damage or problems when I came here. Possibly it was a little dry (as in lacking moisture; my scalp is oily though), but not so dry it would have felt dry or rough. I mean dry in a way that it had felt good before, but seemed to readily absorb the extra moisture I was now giving to it. I knew about silicones and clarifying and many other things before LHC too (although not as deeply as I do now), and favoured silicone-free products. In addition to this, my scalp hated most LHC style methods, and I returned pretty much to my old routine of S+C after it became clear the new methods caused me scalp and skin problems - but the waves stayed even after I moved back to less-moisturizing routine, indicating this wouldn't be just a case of added moisture revealing hidden waves. I have also cut my hair short inbetween, and grown out again, and the waves have stayed (although they are now milder than they were at their best, when I was able to coax out 2c-ish waves, now they are even with coaxing only 1c-2a mix).

As a long time member I am familiar of the stories of "I thought my hair was frizzy and straight, but then I realized it's wavy" and some such similar experiences. I never experienced anything like that. I have always been wondering, as I have read these stories that are present at LHC very often, whether I too had secretly wavy hair prior The Change. I have come to conclusion that it wasn't so, that my hair was naturally straight prior, because it behaved and looked 100% how straight hair is described, and that my hair type changed. For example I never ever saw any charecteristics of wavy, mis-treated, or mis-diagnosed secretly wavy hair. Also no-one - friends, family or stylists - have ever thought my "old" hair to be anything but straight. I did have a rather big hairtype change in general during this time, which to my understanding are hormone related, so it is logical that also the (then) new waves would be because of that. Oh and my diet had changed around this time too, possibly signifigantly in the hair context, as I had started to eat more regularly and more protein-rich foods.

But there is always a little voice which questions my conclusion. That's why I wanted to know, how many of you, who thought you had straight hair bu were secretly wavies, actually had a hair that had all the characteristics of straight hair before the aha-moment, or was your hair poofy, frizzy, and/or whatever typical characteristics people often mention, when it comes to mis-treated/mis-diagnosed wavy hair? (I have no doubts there are many others who have gone through an actual hair type change in addition to myself, so their experience would mirror mine more likely, I assume.)

PS. I suck at inventing thread titles, lol. :)

spidermom
October 12th, 2015, 11:54 AM
I think there's a good chance that your hair type changed. Mine used to be wavy bordering on curly and now it's wavy bordering on straight.

In my school pictures, my hair looks straight bordering on wavy. I remember my mother telling me that I had wavy hair, and in all my teenage wisdom I informed her that there was no such thing.

littlestarface
October 12th, 2015, 12:08 PM
i thought i was just a wavy until i did a chelating shampoo and boom i had ringlets all over, was very surprising

rowie
October 12th, 2015, 12:24 PM
Maybe your hair is bipolar? I know my hair is bipolar. :rollin: If I use cones, or any sulphates I can pretty much can join the straight hair club. However, when I'm cone free, sulphate free and oiling a lot I can join the wurly club. I personally love the wurly club better since I personally find that club to have nicer people based on my own experiences. Although I met some nice straight haired people, but not a lot. Anyways, my hair will also give moods depending on humidity levels so everyday for me will vary how my hair looks and behaves depending on weather conditions. I'm back on cones and sulphates and I really miss being a wurly, and getting back my waves with cones is challenging unless I do braids and such. I wear my hair in a bun everyday so it doesn't really matter I suppose.

sweetaj
October 12th, 2015, 12:38 PM
Mine was a frizzy mess before I realized it was wavy and not straight. It was not smooth like people with straight hair usually have. I always had to use a flat iron or curling iron on it. To wash and go would have been embarrassing!

sweetaj
October 12th, 2015, 12:40 PM
I just read your post more thoroughly, and my experience was similar to yours. When I was younger, it behaved like straight hair: no frizzies, just smooth and straight. The older I got, the more frizzy it became. I think my change from straight to wavy was hormonal or age related or something.

sarahthegemini
October 12th, 2015, 12:42 PM
I used to think my hair was straight and frizzy or straight with a few weird bends :p It was only after I began co -washing (amd stopped blow drying) that I noticed how wavy I was. I don't co anymore, I CWC instead. But yeah, more moisture on my hair and boom - waves! I'm probably about a 2c but after drying, I have to sort of floof my hair up to give it some volume so I lose wave definition and become more of a 2b.

Alex Lou
October 12th, 2015, 12:46 PM
My hair changed texture over many years. It really was straight, or at least close to straight, and now it has a lot of wave. These are genetic changes mediated by age and maybe hormones. I definitely have coarse, kinky hairs that I didn't have 10 years ago. Since you noticed newer coarse hairs, this seems likely for you too.

The other possibility would be how you are caring for your hair. My husband used to have long hair and it was definitely curly. But he cut it to collar and uses a coney conditioner now, and it behaves entirely like straight hair.

lapushka
October 12th, 2015, 12:52 PM
I know when I went through puberty my hair went from 1b/c to 2b/c and I didn't know what to do, so I kept treating it like I was used to (combing it through wet with a fine toothed comb, stuff like that). Brushing it when dry. Blowdrying it straight and wondering why it fuzzed up in foggy conditions.

First rule out puberty and the like, then see how long your hair was "the same". Then you can eliminate one or the other.

Christine_O
October 12th, 2015, 12:54 PM
I believed my hair was straight for years because my mother believed her hair was straight, and we both wet combed our hair. It took many years, in spite of having a "Betsy McCall" bob in elementary school, with one side curling in and one side curling out, and getting ringlets in my hair from the rain when I was older and had longer hair. It took me many years to redefine my unruly hair as naturally wavy.

DweamGoiL
October 12th, 2015, 02:26 PM
My hair definitely was much straighter when I was a child, but then again, I also used cones and lots of them. Cones will kill the wave on my fine hair immediately. As I got older (puberty years), it definitely became more unruly and livelier. I just thought I was doing something wrong and my straight hair was acting out because I didn't know how to care for it. It wasn't until I came to LHC that I realized that my hair was actually wavy, and that also prompted me to give up cones for good. It's been over a decade now, and my hair and I have finally made peace. Seems like wavy hair goes through many changes before it decides to reveal itself completely.

irodaryne
October 12th, 2015, 03:00 PM
I used to think my hair was straight with some strange bends and frizziness (and I should mention that my hair was straightened in my picture). However, it also used to get washed every single day when I was living in Phoenix, Arizona, so not only was it full of cones, it was also ridiculously dry, and it certainly looked it. I went a while with a pixie cut, but over the last three years I've let my hair grow out a year before cutting it into a pixie cut (so it will get to about shoulder length).

As I wash my hair less and less frequently (with a sulphate free shampoo!), I'm noticing that if I don't comb it after I shower, it gets quite a number of waves, and sticking it in humidity will cause any wispy bits hanging out of a ponytail to curl up into little ringlets, and there are some areas that just naturally turn in to ringlets sometimes. One time, I was able to get my hair to do these beautiful, large wavey-curly things. I know that wavy-curly things will happen to my hair, I just don't know how to make it happen. Once upon a time, I thought my hair was straight. Now I know it's got waves/curls happening and I just can't figure out how to make those really get apparent.

KittyCatCarrie
October 12th, 2015, 03:05 PM
I had stick straight hair since I was a child, but about a year ago I noticed if I let my hair air dry without combing, it had waves to it. Upon closer inspection of my hair strands themselves they are no longer stick straight.

diddiedaisy
October 13th, 2015, 08:21 AM
When I first joined here, I classed myself as 1b as I had straight hair that flicked up at the ends.

However by the February I had started getting some waves
http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag361/sblackburn4/Mobile%20Uploads/DADBFEA8-5D0C-4358-8EF1-2DD9E884C8E9_zpsikska4ym.jpg (http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/sblackburn4/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DADBFEA8-5D0C-4358-8EF1-2DD9E884C8E9_zpsikska4ym.jpg.html)

By April it looked like this. Both pics are hair typing ones.
http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag361/sblackburn4/Mobile%20Uploads/0EA5D0E4-FF0A-4C9B-9C1C-1A7229616C46_zpstplulkrp.jpg (http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/sblackburn4/media/Mobile%20Uploads/0EA5D0E4-FF0A-4C9B-9C1C-1A7229616C46_zpstplulkrp.jpg.html)

Obviously some hair types change as we get older, but some peoples hair does seem to change very quickly. It's takes some getting used to as well when it's a quick change.

As a child my hair was stick straight, and being blonde it was fine and thin. It was never flat though and I always could get volume going with very little help. I think it was because it was waiting for its moment to go BLAM. It just took 40 years to do so lol

Arctic
October 13th, 2015, 10:22 AM
Thanks for all the answers!

I don't know what this old thing still bothered me enough to write a novel about it :D Hopefully I now got it out of my system!

I think as there is really no way to know anymore, that I stick with the theory that I used to be straightie (and finey) whose hairtype changed to wavy (and coarser) as the 2 different hairtypes were so very different from eachother. It just interestingly happened to happen around the same time that I had joined here - perhaps it had been slowly happening sometime already, and the extra moisture then really set those waves free and there hasn't been turning back :)

I just went through my old LHC photos and at it curliest my hair was quite curly, almost bordering 3a look when I had encouraged the curl (this was, I thing sometime in 2009-2010). Now the curl has relaxed again in the recent years, but hair still behaves like wavy and nothing like it was when it was straight.

yahirwaO.o
October 13th, 2015, 04:54 PM
Well I still type myself as 1b on wash day and only have very few baby waves on one side of my head, weird! I have some frizz with or without brushing, but I wouldnt really type me as wavy, they look more like wannabe curved flicks. The next days its sleek 1A hair until I wash again.

However, my hair was pin straight in my very youth days, now it has somehow more body, so possibly in the near future I can get wavy hair, well see!!!

..... and I think your hair is lovely whether straight, wavy, stravy or whatever!!!