PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take you to get from Shoulder to BSL/Boob?

Idreamlong
October 12th, 2015, 05:34 AM
As title.

How long has it taken people to get from shoulder to BSL/ Boob? What is your hair type? I am particularly wanting to hear from people who only microtrim/ S&D every month or so.

TIA!

Arctic
October 12th, 2015, 05:55 AM
For me it's about 2 years, possibly a bit more. I do regular small trims, and admittedly might trim a bit too much. My hair is mildly wavy, and I am tall with long distance between milestones. My hair grows at an avarage speed.

lapushka
October 12th, 2015, 06:04 AM
Try and learn to measure. That way, you don't have to guess. Here we measure from the forehead, over the back of the head towards the ends. This gives you the same reference point every time you measure. You grow about half an inch a month. This way it'll be easy enough to calculate how long it will take *you*. Because it's different for everyone!

pailin
October 12th, 2015, 06:13 AM
It took me close to 2 years with no trims. However, BSL is further on me than on some people.

ReadingRenee
October 12th, 2015, 07:39 AM
Try and learn to measure. That way, you don't have to guess. Here we measure from the forehead, over the back of the head towards the ends. This gives you the same reference point every time you measure. You grow about half an inch a month. This way it'll be easy enough to calculate how long it will take *you*. Because it's different for everyone!

Yep it really is different for everyone. For me, ( previous to this haircut) it took me about 16 months. I did not trim at all though. Everyone has different body markers. My hair usually only grows about 1/2 an inch per month.

Llama
October 12th, 2015, 08:40 AM
It took me a year and a half to 2 years I believe. For height reference, I'm 5'7"

LongCurlyTress
October 12th, 2015, 08:45 AM
My hair was cut into a curly 3b bob- (15 inches) in March, 2011 and now it is hovering around TBL @ 34.5 inches. My hair grows on average about a half inch a month, sometimes more, sometimes less. And I trim about an inch every 2-3 months since I am growing out layers and want an even hemline. So, my guess is it will take you about 2 years. Good luck on your hair growing journey!! ;) The time goes fast!! :run:

Idreamlong
October 12th, 2015, 09:05 AM
2 years :cries: I’ve worked in the same office now for 18 months, I’ve noticed a few girls have managed pretty major growth in that time, I’m wondering how they’re doing it.

This is the first time for many, many years that I will be trying to grow my hair in a HEALTHY state. If I don’t manage to get it past my shoulders (where it’s been stuck for the past 8-9 years due to me damaging it with bleach and heat) then I will start to suspect that my shoulders is it’s ‘terminal length’ that I keep reading about on the internet.

However, I don’t think my terminal length can be shoulder as all throughout my teens, until I was 18 it was nearly at waist?!

I can just tell this is going to be a really boring, long process :yawn: I will do it though because I am desperate for long hair!

Arctic
October 12th, 2015, 09:11 AM
Many people go from shoulder to BSL faster than 2 years, it depends on so many things: how tall you are, what your body proportions are, are your "girls" sitting lower or higher on your ribcage, how wavy/curly/straight your hair is, how fast your hair grow, how much you trim...

But even with the fastest of growth and shortest of distances between milestones, hair growth is always a slow process. This forum is great to a) learn to care of your hairtype so it can grow as nice as possible and you get to keep the most possible length, and b) having fun and socializing with others while the hair grows. :)

You can do it! Try to break the distance into mini milestones, this seems to speed things up - mentally anyway!

ETA: Oh, and very few people have their terminal length at shoulder to my understanding. Before hair reaches terminal length, the length gaining slows down and stops, the hair has developed strong fairytail ends, and so on. If your hair has decent hemline and it gains length, you are not at terminal yet.

LongCurlyTress
October 12th, 2015, 09:16 AM
I agree with Arctic's comment below. Many of us trim our own hair since stylists tend to cut too much, or more than we asked for so we use Faye's trimming method or another self trimming method. youtube has many tutorial videos showing how to do this. I give my hair cutting scissors to my husband and he really does hide them from me!! LOL!!

holothuroidea
October 12th, 2015, 09:43 AM
2 1/2 - 3 years.

My hair grows at an average rate but it's very fine and thin and my ends just struggle to survive past APL.

cat11
October 12th, 2015, 09:44 AM
Hmm. Well I joined LHC in Jan 2014 with Collarbone length hair, and in Jan 2015 I had BSL hair. So About a year and 1/3 with trims. I'm 5'7.

Groovy Granny
October 12th, 2015, 12:55 PM
I have a short torso and it took me just about a year.... growing at @1/2in per month ...with 1 trim to cut my last layer.

Put it up with pretty hair toys and forget it; it will be long before you know it! ;)

spidermom
October 12th, 2015, 01:25 PM
It took between 18 months and 2 years for me, too. Try to relax and enjoy all the different lengths and styling options that you can come up with. YouTube is a great resource for that.

sarahthegemini
October 12th, 2015, 01:29 PM
I am not far from bra strap now so it took me about, a year from shoulder I think to get this far. Another 6 months and I'll be solid BSL. My hair is wavy and grows at average speed I think, possibly a bit faster. I am short, about 4'11 - 5' so I guess my body marker distance is less than average heighted people.

diddiedaisy
October 12th, 2015, 01:35 PM
I've been growing my hair from shoulder since December 2013. I'm still not at bsl, but I have cut off over 8 inches in that time. I did reach bsl earlier on the year but took 3 inches of thinnies off.

I'm 5"2 and without cutting I think it would have taken about one year. I got to apl in 6 months with trimming so I'm allowing 6 months from apl to bsl.

It all depends on how tall you are, if you need to trim and your growth rate.

Hairkay
October 12th, 2015, 01:57 PM
I have no idea. My hair had been that length since I was a small child just passed being a toddler. I left my hair alone and due to rubbing ect my dry kinky curly ends would break off so it was sort of having self micro trims all the time. My hair seemed to stay the same until lately when I started putting it up and wearing a satin bonnet to bed plus finding a way to condition my hair without using commercial hair products.

browneyedsusan
October 12th, 2015, 03:09 PM
I think it was about 2 years. *scampers off to check growth album*
Yes, that's right. I can tell by the "eyeball" method, that would be about a foot of growth for me, and I grow at an average rate of 1/2" per month, so that makes sense. :)

Horrorpops
October 12th, 2015, 05:13 PM
5 years.... :rolleyes: but I did cut off a ton of damage (+some unnecessary trims). Persistence is definitely what I lacked in the early days and thats why it look me so long! :)

yahirwaO.o
October 12th, 2015, 05:47 PM
My case was a full year the first time. It was super layered and decided to grow them, by the time I reached BSL there were lots of long layers. :D

My hair grows pretty fast, I've been keeping-trimming APL ish towards BSL during a year now, but it grows so fast you cant tell in one mounth it was trimmed. I feell very lucky somehow!