PDA

View Full Version : Does Longlocks (or any other stick maker) repair broken hair sticks?

UrbanEast
October 9th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I'd like to buy a stick from Longlocks but have broken so many hair sticks in the past that I'm concerned about making such a big investment.

Has anyone had success in getting a broken LongLocks stick repaired (meaning, the bone portion replaced)?

snowbear
October 9th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Don't know about Longlocks, but Kevin at Ketylo is known for generously repairing and replacing sticks.

AmandaPanda
October 9th, 2008, 06:07 PM
The pair of Longlocks I got 6 years ago didn't have enough varnish and the design on the sticks started peeling off. I contacted the maker and she insinuated that it was my fault and offered to add more varnish (it was obvious the design couldn't be fixed), if I paid shipping. It would have been nice if she could have just removed the rest of the transfer and add another, but I guess that would be asking too much. I think she uses a lot more varnish now, but, I wouldn't recommend buying from there.

UrbanEast
October 9th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Amanda and snow, thanks, it was very helpful to hear your experiences.

Amanda, why wouldn't you recommend buying from Longlocks?

AmandaPanda
October 10th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Amanda, why wouldn't you recommend buying from Longlocks?

Based on the bad experience that I shared in my previous post...

Elbereth
October 15th, 2008, 05:49 AM
My Longlocks collection is about 60 pairs large, and I have never had a problem with the sticks. If used properly, they are sturdy and IMO, the quality is excellent. Just keep in mind that they are, after all, made of bone and glass!

I once asked Susan about repairing broken sticks, and yes, she does repairs. However, the repairing takes several weeks as she works under an extremely heavy schedule. Repairs are squeezed in between completing orders. Also, there is the issue of component availability- the repaired stick might end up looking different. Therefore, even if just one stick from a pair has broken, you should send both sticks to LL when you want a stick repaired. The repairing costs something depending on case.

If you break your Longlocks sticks, you should email Susan and explain the situation. In my experience, she is a nice person to deal with and tries her best to accommodate special requests.

wendyg
October 15th, 2008, 09:46 AM
<wide-eyed>60 pairs!</wide-eyed>

I have never bought anything from LL, partly because they're all so expensive and partly because they're all so amazing to look at in the pictures that I've never been able to single any out to say, "That pair I just have to have."

Could we please see pictures of your collection? I do love looking at them.

wg