PDA

View Full Version : The smell of burning hair

Alex Lou
October 11th, 2015, 02:40 AM
I'm just astonished by how casually this hairdresser was willing to burn my hair today. Apparently it's routine for her to see smoke coming from her clients' hair and smell burning hair smell.

I went in to get some layers cut in the front. She did the cut, then blow dried, then got out the curling iron. She proceeded to wrap my hair around the curling iron then leave it there till smoke came out. After watching her do a few sections that way, I asked her to leave it on for a shorter amount of time or turn the heat down because I could smell my hair burning and she told me that it was fine and showed me the heat protectant stuff she'd sprayed on my hair. Yeah, I'm sure that stuff will magically make my hair not burnt... And told me I just wasn't used to it. But she did stop.

I am a bit nervous about what damage it might have done, but not overly so. Hair does grow back and I have a lot of it. But burning hair is excessive for a style that will only last the day, at most, so I'm just baffled. I've flat ironed regularly before but never on that high of heat, apparently.

Do women really do this? Burn their hair on a regular basis? Do stylists really burn hair all the time or was it just her? Crazy.

betterhairday
October 11th, 2015, 04:00 AM
I'm just astonished by how casually this hairdresser was willing to burn my hair today. Apparently it's routine for her to see smoke coming from her clients' hair and smell burning hair smell.

I went in to get some layers cut in the front. She did the cut, then blow dried, then got out the curling iron. She proceeded to wrap my hair around the curling iron then leave it there till smoke came out. After watching her do a few sections that way, I asked her to leave it on for a shorter amount of time or turn the heat down because I could smell my hair burning and she told me that it was fine and showed me the heat protectant stuff she'd sprayed on my hair. Yeah, I'm sure that stuff will magically make my hair not burnt... And told me I just wasn't used to it. But she did stop.

I am a bit nervous about what damage it might have done, but not overly so. Hair does grow back and I have a lot of it. But burning hair is excessive for a style that will only last the day, at most, so I'm just baffled. I've flat ironed regularly before but never on that high of heat, apparently.

Do women really do this? Burn their hair on a regular basis? Do stylists really burn hair all the time or was it just her? Crazy.

Definitely not, get a new hairdresser! You are so right that is why I am seriously looking at upgrading to the Karmin Salon Series you should check it out, the specs look awesome.

lapushka
October 11th, 2015, 04:38 AM
So my question is... why the heck did you let her curl your hair?

luxurioushair
October 11th, 2015, 07:31 AM
Never, ever go to hairstylists...

Sarahlabyrinth
October 11th, 2015, 07:32 AM

Mine too........heat styling is so damaging.

Horrorpops
October 11th, 2015, 07:52 AM
Ummm actually its not that uncommon! I've known/been friends with/ lived with women who regularly heat styled until smoking point. In fact I used to do it myself :shrug: I even had one friend tell me recently (after I told her how critical having tenperature control on a straightener was) that you don't want to have the option of turning it down because "the steam means its working"! :p The cruel irony is some of them bleached their hair as well and it still was waist length and fairly ok looking. Grrr!!!

ETA that hairdresser sounds a bit dodgy though. She should know better. Its also not great that she tried to make your dislike of having your hair burnt your problem by implying it was normal and your reaction was from ignorance/unfamiliarity. Thats a bit icky for me! :)

KittyBird
October 11th, 2015, 08:30 AM
I use a curling iron every now and then, but never notice a burning smell. That would seriously freak me out! shudder: I'd find a new hairdresser if I were you.

Alex Lou
October 11th, 2015, 11:22 AM
No I will never go back to her again. I've had some very good experiences at the particular salon she's at, so I'd hoped she'd be good too. I'd been afraid of professional cuts for so long. But it turns out I really love a professional cut when it's done right.

I'm not opposed to heat styling in general. I don't use a curling iron at home at all ever and never have used one. When I saw her take it out, I actually thought, oh this may look nice! But most of my hair did not get curled because I asked her to stop burning it. :(

Ummm actually its not that uncommon! I've known/been friends with/ lived with women who regularly heat styled until smoking point. In fact I used to do it myself :shrug: I even had one friend tell me recently (after I told her how critical having tenperature control on a straightener was) that you don't want to have the option of turning it down because "the steam means its working"! :p The cruel irony is some of them bleached their hair as well and it still was waist length and fairly ok looking. Grrr!!!
Well that's good news at least for me. I guess my burnt locks will probably be okay.

Groovy Granny
October 11th, 2015, 11:22 AM
If you see/smell smoke...Burning My Hair Off (https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=burned+my+hair+off) (video #1)
You can see the smoke above her hand, and still coming from the curler after!
:agape:
Why take a chance? :shrug:
Tell them NO and use other methods for safe curls.
Hoping you have little/no damage:pray:

Alex Lou
October 11th, 2015, 11:28 AM
If you see/smell smoke...Why take a chance? :shrug:
Burning My Hair Off (https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=burned+my+hair+off) (video #1)

I have seen that first video result. Priceless expression on her face!

Groovy Granny
October 11th, 2015, 11:33 AM
I have seen that first video result. Priceless expression on her face!

I know...you want to laugh but feel so badly for her!

At least yours did NOT burn off...whew!!

Alex Lou
October 11th, 2015, 12:35 PM
For real. The burnt curls she did ended up falling out in about 30 min anyway and I just did my bun curls like I normally do. They look fantastic and no heat! :)

Groovy Granny
October 11th, 2015, 12:45 PM
For real. The burnt curls she did ended up falling out in about 30 min anyway and I just did my bun curls like I normally do. They look fantastic and no heat! :)

Great :thumbsup:

Pamper them ;)

hennalonghair
October 11th, 2015, 03:00 PM
If you see/smell smoke...Burning My Hair Off (https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=burned+my+hair+off) (video #1)

I know...you want to laugh but feel so badly for her!

At least yours did NOT burn off...whew!!

This is a good video to show anyone who curls their hair. I felt so bad for her.

mindwiped
October 11th, 2015, 05:25 PM
The only time I've had my heart styling tools smell like burning hair is when I've drug then out from under the sink, where they've been for a couple of years, and forgotten to dust them before turning them on. Burning smell while actually in use, run away.

Horrorpops
October 12th, 2015, 06:17 AM
No I will never go back to her again. I've had some very good experiences at the particular salon she's at, so I'd hoped she'd be good too. I'd been afraid of professional cuts for so long. But it turns out I really love a professional cut when it's done right.

I'm not opposed to heat styling in general. I don't use a curling iron at home at all ever and never have used one. When I saw her take it out, I actually thought, oh this may look nice! But most of my hair did not get curled because I asked her to stop burning it. :(

Well that's good news at least for me. I guess my burnt locks will probably be okay.
Yeah that sucks because its great when you find a salon and stylists you like! Maybe she was just one bad apple there? I agree I like my hair to be cut professionally because I can't and don't want to do it myself :D

I know most around here aren't fans of heat styling - personally I only do it maybe 4 times a year. Way less than I used to. But I think it is so important to have it on a low temperature and move quickly NOT waiting til smoke or steam lol!! :p What a pity :( I do love the look of curled hair (heat and nonheat styled!) There is some really great no-heat styles that look amazing though.

And yes, I am sure your will be ok! :) Damage is cumulative (unless you burn a curl off with a heat-pocalypse like that videos posted above). ;)

tigress86
October 12th, 2015, 07:12 AM
I've had this happen a few times in the past with flat irons at the salon. One time the stylist was in a hurry and I felt like my hair wasn't completely dry. The other time it must have been a weird heat protectant, because my hair was dry and she let the heat protectant spray dry also... I guess it was just a funny product that caused the smoke and left my hair very heavy and coated afterwards.

M.McDonough
October 14th, 2015, 08:02 AM
Never, ever go to hairstylists...

So how do you cut your hair?

M.McDonough
October 14th, 2015, 08:09 AM
I've seen something similar. Did you know they use fire to get split ends off? This girl once told me she did it and her hair felt amazing for A year!
I honestly would never try that ..there is no way fire is safe!
Slightly off-topic .. I know , sorry

KittyBird
October 14th, 2015, 08:27 AM
So how do you cut your hair?
Don't know about luxurioushair, but I use Feye's self trim method with good results. Many people on here cut their own hair. :)

Alex Lou
October 14th, 2015, 10:03 PM
I've seen something similar. Did you know they use fire to get split ends off? This girl once told me she did it and her hair felt amazing for A year!
I honestly would never try that ..there is no way fire is safe!
Slightly off-topic .. I know , sorry

Yeah, I have heard of that. I think I'll steer clear of holding fire to my hair though. ;)

I have cut my own hair in the past. I'm not bad at it. It turns out reasonably well. I'd still rather have someone with more advanced skills do it.

M.McDonough
October 15th, 2015, 07:38 AM
Don't know about luxurioushair, but I use Feye's self trim method with good results. Many people on here cut their own hair. :)

I should learn that. Even though I'm nowhere close to cutting my hair right now, but that will surely stop me from going to hairdressers, or should I say hair spoilers?.
So you can cut your hair basically to any length you want?

vpatt
October 15th, 2015, 09:07 AM

Oh that is awful. And to make me feel worse I went from that video and clicked on the lip challenge, that was horrible! Not hair related but I can't get it out of my head.

Kaelbu
October 15th, 2015, 01:01 PM
When I was 13-14, I wouldn't leave the house without first having straightened the crap out of my chin/shoulder length hair. It wasn't even curly! It was just a way to style it, but I covered every strand at least once, some more. And it was not uncommon for my friends and I to smell some burning hair while using a flat iron. My hair was always dry and squeaky clean (washed every night) so it was hard to get a visible steam/smoke out of it, but my friend with thick, curly, product-heavy hair saw that easily.

It was awful for our hair, but it didn't completely destroy it even with heavy use.

DollyDagger
October 15th, 2015, 02:11 PM
I burned my forehead and neck a couple times with flat irons on accident..lol Ouch!

AutobotsAttack
October 15th, 2015, 06:08 PM
It's most definitely not uncommon whatsoever. Other ladies of my ethnicity do it practically on a daily basis. WITHOUT heat Protestants, and they will do it for weeks or even months at a time. I used to do that when I was 13 or so as well, but I isn't know any better. I think they thought the only way your hair can be straight is to hear it up so hot that is smoked :(. If and when I do flat iron my hair or curl it I never let the heat go past 180-190 degrees. Ever.