PDA

View Full Version : My hair nightmare :-( desperately want long locks!

Idreamlong
October 10th, 2015, 01:29 PM
Hello,

I have also posted this in the 'new here' section but I figure traffic is heavier in here! I'll copy and paste below!

I’m new and from the UK. I am wanting to grow my shoulder length hair to bra strap line. Below is my hair (horror) story!

Up until I was 17 I had absolutely gorgeous flowing locks, my hair grew like weed it was thick and it used to annoy me that it was so thick/ grew so much! I used to get it thinned :wince:

My hair is naturally curly and I used to just blow dry it straight. When I was 17, along came GHDs (cries) and I also discovered chemical straightening (cries again) I chemically straightened it and started using GHDs. My hair really was lovely then, all thick, swishy and smooth and sleek.

About 6 months later I went for my usual hair cut but the girl I normally had was away so another lady cut it that day. That was the day that changed my hair forever

It was waist length and she cut it all off. Like to just my shoulders. My mum went ballistic at her, I was howling in the hair dressers, cringe! She apologised, said it needed ‘a good cut’ it was cut every 8 weeks without fail and actually, despite the GHDs and chemical straightening, really wasn’t THAT damaged!

Anyway, I thought it would just grow like weed as usual, however, because I was abusing it daily with GHDs and by this time I was 18 and had started to have bleach highlights, it just never did.

10 years ago, I then decided to start using extensions and had glue ins, sew ins (cries again!) before finally realising it was wrecking my hair and swapped to clip ins for when I wore my hair down.

I am now 28 and for the past 7 years, I am not kidding you, my hair hasn’t grown it just gets to my shoulder and then breaks off. HOWEVER, I know it is because I have just been abusing it with heat and bleach.

I woke up about 3 weeks ago and thought no more!

I got scissors and spent 4 hours cutting all of the dead/ broken/ split ends out of my hair and cut about 2 inches off the overall length. Unfortunately, my top layers that are bleached are quite wonky, but I don’t care, I’m not letting a hair dresser touch it with scissors, I can’t risk having 2 inch layers on the top, sticking up like a bush baby! I’ll get my mum to even it up once it starts growing out.

SO, my *thing* is that when I have my hair down I always wear my clip ins and because I have been wearing them for about 6 years now, I have got very good at making them look natural and no one knows they are not my hair! (See pics below for extension and non-extension pics) So I can’t/ don’t want to start just wearing my hair down without them. This poses a problem obviously as the clip ins are pretty straight and my own hair curly so unless I want to straighten my hair before putting them in, it will look ridiculous.

I had an idea the other day which would enable me to not ever have to style my own hair (apart from the very top layer) and yet still able to wear my clip ins whilst waiting for my hair to grow. I get the bottom layer of my hair that would normally be underneath the first layer of clip ins and to plait it loosely at the back/ nape of my neck, then clip a clip in layer of hair on top of it and then my normal layer of extensions after that! Do the same for the next layer of my own hair, loosely plait it at the back and then stick an extension on top of it. I have checked out the result and it looks fine, I was worried you would be able to see the plaits/they would stick out, but actually they don’t as the extension hair is so thick you really can’t see them.

SO, I have gone through my hair and I can’t see any damage anymore on the bottom layers (which are my virgin colour) there is still some slight damage in some parts of my highlighted layer but only slight.

SO, basically as of October 2015, my hair is now a couple of inches shorter than it has been for a while, nearly all of the damage has been fully cut out, it feels soft and shiny and doesn’t snag when I run my fingers through it/ brush it.

I am not blow drying or straightening it at all, apart from the very top layer and fringey bits, but they are only straightened lightly twice a week and with a heat protector and I will have to make sure I go through every 2 weeks and cut out damage, it’s unavoidable as I don’t want to not wear my extensions when I have my hair down.

I hang my head upside down for 30 mins every evening and do a scalp massage, I moisturise my hair with coconut oil and a keratin spray twice a day, morning and night. I keep it tied back loosely in a plait at the nape of my neck on days I wear it down with the extensions and just in a loose bun on the days I wear it up. It is always tied in a loose pony tail to sleep in.

I haven’t really deep conditioned my hair or used a good keratin/ protein conditioner for years now, but I went out and bought a keratin shampoo and conditioner in addition to my coconut oil conditioner, I also have a clarifying shampoo which I will use once every few weeks as I have a feeling I will get build up from all the conditioning I am doing.

I have only really washed my hair once/ twice a week for about 18 months now so will carry on with that.

As of last week I have started taking MSM, Sea Kelp Tablets and Cod Liver Oil tablets as well as an iron/zinc liquid supplement. I wanted to take Biotin but have read horror stories of acne with it and so am avoiding it at present.

The past week my hair has felt so soft and shiny and where it would normally just break/ snap off there hasn’t been any so I’m REALLY hoping that this is now the start of some growth.

I REALLY need all the encouragement etc that I can get on this long road to bra strap line, swishy, healthy hair.

If anyone has any tips I would really appreciate/welcome them! Pics below of me with my hair extensions and my natural hair without!

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx121/horsemadme/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsm8tymnat.jpg (http://s748.photobucket.com/user/horsemadme/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsm8tymnat.jpg.html)

*http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx121/horsemadme/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsmtyaup8y.jpg (http://s748.photobucket.com/user/horsemadme/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsmtyaup8y.jpg.html)

lapushka
October 10th, 2015, 01:56 PM
Are you still chemically straightening it? Just wondering... might be a good habit to break if you don't want the breakage later on.

Agnes Hannah
October 10th, 2015, 02:06 PM
Wow, you have been on a very long journey!

My hair was shoulder length when I decided to grow it again, after about 15 years of having it cut short, and coloured regularly to hide any greys etc. I blow dried it every couple of days and had it trimmed regularly. Then I decided to let it grow a bit.

After I got to shoulder length, I started to wear clip in extensions not for length, but for thickness, check my stats! I used clip ins for about 60/70% of the time. As it grew longer, I clipped it up with a claw and joined LHC. I found a routine to suit me and my hair, ditched the blowfryer and hairdye. I tried to go grey naturally, but after six months I caved in, but used Henna to colour it instead. Henna works for me. I trim myself and now very rarely wear extensions, finding them for my hair length now is difficult. I wash condition and condition again, it is a method that Lapushka uses. I also use a silk sleep cap at night and a silk pillow. overkill yes but it works.

Brushing is something I rarely do now, I comb instead with a handmade comb with no snaggy bits. My recent purchase is a Mason Pearson rake comb, ideal for detangling.

My hair has grown from shoulder length early 2013, to BCL today.

So my advice to you is keep doing what you are doing if it works for you, eat well and drink lots of water as extra supplements are not always the best. Extensions are ok if you are gentle with them, I didn't use hairspray to hold them in and they did not damage my hair. Nowadays I wear mine up every day and at night put it into sleep plaits before putting on the sleepcap. Not very elegant but again it works for me.

Finally, the most important thing, and the biggest secret of hairgrowing - patience! It will happen!! Good luck and welcome to LHC

Idreamlong
October 10th, 2015, 02:10 PM
Hi Lapushka,

No, i haven't chemically straightened it for about 7 years now.

So, in my quest for long locks I am not blow dring, straightening or using any heat. I'm only washing once/twice a week, am giving myself daily scalp massages, moisturising lengths and ends twice daily, taking MSM, Sea Kelp, cod liver oil & zinc tablets & cutting splits/ breakage when I see it. Is there anything else I can do?

turtlelover
October 10th, 2015, 02:19 PM
I would stop ALL straightening iron use.

lapushka
October 10th, 2015, 02:21 PM
Just don't overdo it on the supplements, a good multivitamin should be enough for most people. Just gentle care and above all: patience. It took me 10 years to get to classic length, because at first I wouldn't give up the dye and bleach and henna and hot tools, and I had to cut to chin twice due to damage (chemical cut & burn on one occasion). But I got there in the end, once I let go of those darn habits. I am all virgin hair now, and naturally wavy.

You'll get there!

Idreamlong
October 10th, 2015, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the replies.

AgnesHannah- wow, I can't even imagine what it'd be like to get my hair to BCL. I want it so bad but I honestly bet it won't happen :-(

Turtle lover- the straighning of the top layer I am going to try and not do, however there will be some occasions where I think I'll have to. But if will hopefully only be once a month or something. I accept I will still get damage to the top layer by doing that, but compared to the fact o used to straighten it everyday (urgh!!) it should recover and be healthier than it has been previously so hopefully I will see some length. Just growing out the stupid layers would be nice!

luxurioushair
October 10th, 2015, 02:31 PM
That's a mighty long post! Three things.

Patience is a virtue and you really need it now.

Avoid hairdressers like the plague.

Choose now between your own hair and clip-ins.

Good luck.

blue_eyes
October 10th, 2015, 02:44 PM
Awww I'm sorry you've had such a long, tough journey with your hair so far! I've been there, I managed to get waist length hair while dyeing it black, then tried to bleach it and go blonde, and had huge chunks break off. I had to cut back to just below my shoulders, and even then, some chunks of hair were only about 2 inches long. It was horrific. Anyway, that day I gave up bleach, dye, blow dryers, and hair cuts! I've been growing ever since and it's the best thing I've ever done for my hair. :) It's been 2 years since then, and my virgin hair is at my shoulders, while the remaining dyed ends are almost at waist now.

I honestly think that giving things up cold turkey is better in the long run, and it makes growing out healthy long hair a quicker process than if you are still using damaging things along the way (and risk having to keep cutting your hair to get rid of damage). Hang in there! Your hair will grow, just take care of it along the way. :)

lazuliblue
October 10th, 2015, 03:53 PM
Hi Lapushka,

No, i haven't chemically straightened it for about 7 years now.

So, in my quest for long locks I am not blow dring, straightening or using any heat. I'm only washing once/twice a week, am giving myself daily scalp massages, moisturising lengths and ends twice daily, taking MSM, Sea Kelp, cod liver oil & zinc tablets & cutting splits/ breakage when I see it. Is there anything else I can do?

Coconut oil! Seriously, give it a try. My hair loves it, I was using it as an overnight soak but now I tend to just leave it on for 2-3 hours during the day, then put conditioner over it for 20 mins, then wash it out. It doesn't work for everyone but for me it leaves my hair really smooth and tangle-free.

Also, as you say your hair is naturally curly, have you tried the Curly Girl method? Basically you use conditioner to wash your hair (called CO washing or 'conditioner only') and make sure to use silicone-free products so that the silicone doesn't build up on your hair, and also sulphate-free products, so that you aren't stripping your hair (there are other things involved but those are the main bits, I feel.) I generally CO wash and then clarify every so often with a sulphate shampoo, so I adapt the curly girl method for my hair.

Edit: just read that you do use coconut oil...hooray! Protective styles like buns with hair sticks are good too for when your hair gets to that length.

spidermom
October 10th, 2015, 04:11 PM
Even occasional straightening was murder for my hair so pay attention. Some hair can tolerate it and some hair can't. Be sure you know which kind of hair you have.

I second or third patience; that's the most important thing. Hair only grows as fast as it grows, and you'll have to wait to reach your goals.

Christine_O
October 10th, 2015, 06:10 PM
Would you be willing to show us what you look like without the clip ons? I'm seeing a lovely curl back there.

spidermom
October 10th, 2015, 07:15 PM
Would you be willing to show us what you look like without the clip ons? I'm seeing a lovely curl back there.

I'd like to see without the extensions, too, which I think look kind of weird to be honest.

Idreamlong
October 11th, 2015, 03:21 AM
The first pic in my original OP is my natural hair without the clip ins.

Here is another one that I've taken just now. The top,blonde layer is straightened as I went out Friday night. The underneath, darker layer is natural, excuse the frizz, I've just brushed it!

I will try and get a pic of how it is when it's just dried after washing it when I next wash it, as yes, it is pretty curly.

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx121/horsemadme/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsdyuxyjbd.jpg (http://s748.photobucket.com/user/horsemadme/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsdyuxyjbd.jpg.html)

lapushka
October 11th, 2015, 03:59 AM
I'd strongly suggest looking into the "curly girl method". You can still wash with shampoo, if that's what you want, then it will be a "modified" curly girl.

Here's more information. But the first thing you learn is *never* to brush curly hair dry! Never!
http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

I'd not only rely on online information. The curly girl method was invented by a woman called Lorraine Massey. She's written a book on the entire method. It is an eye-opener, more than any information you can find online!

betterhairday
October 11th, 2015, 04:51 AM
Idreamalong I really feel for you. My hair looked very much like the bits at the bottom left hand side of your pic but it was caused by exposure to radiotherapy, apparently a 1st according to the radiologist's assistant, must be because it is old. My hair was almost shoulder length and my hairdresser chopped it off to roughly 4" all over pixie style. My hairdresser pointed me to Pro-naturals. I started using this hair repair system mid-December 2014 and followed their regime of 1 week in every 6 weeks and using my drugstore shampoo & conditioner for the other 5 weeks. I still use it today. My hair is back to what it used to be - very shiny, smooth and definitely no more breakage, frizz or split ends. I normally shampoo every 3 days and I also use a blow dryer and hair straightener (but I use it to curl). I use the same hair tools as my hairdresser - Karmin hair tools. The one difference from the suggested regime is that I use the Moroccan argan oil after every shampoo and I apply it mainly to the ends and only halfway up the hair shaft keeping clear of scalp & roots. It is not greasy at all. I hope my experience helps you a little.

carrie30
October 11th, 2015, 07:25 AM
I had to respond because I've been through a very similar hair journey to you in the past, I'm going through a bleached damaged nightmare at the moment and I'm from the UK!
So I also have half head of bleached highlights (which are now a murky brown due to needing a cour correction on a bad bleach job) so my underneath hair is natural. I've recently given up heat and vow not to get my hair coloured for a very very very long time if ever again (as much as I miss m blonde!)
Ok so I used to wear glue in hair extensions many years ago and the damage was crazy. I know how you feel about extensions because despite the damage I loved them at the time. I moved on to clip in which I would only wear for nights out. Clip in are much better for your hair but still pull at the hair, so try not to wear them everyday if you can.
Get a really good trim at a hair salon every 8 weeks or so to even up your layers and get a nice blunt finish - your hair will feel much healthier.

Unfortunately , from experience, you cannot have long and gorgeous hair if you are bleaching and heat styling. So your compromise is your mid length bleached hair and clip in extensions. Another option would be a bayalage colour on your roots (a dark blended colour at the root fading into blonde) so you aren't bleaching the root and are avoiding overlap and can maybe start to grow your hair down from there but of course you will still have your blnde mid length and ends which you need to keep hydrated.
To truly grow your hair super long and gorgeous it's gotta be goodbye to the bleach. I was in denial about this for years but I really wish I'd stopped bleaching sooner as my hair is now snapping and breaking constantly due to years of abuse.
The supplements will help your new hair growth at the root but won't do anything for the coloured parts. I take biotin , omega 3 and a multi vitamin and have seen a slight increase in growth.
Good luck! Xx

Idreamlong
October 11th, 2015, 07:38 AM
Thank you for all the replies/ suggestions.

I think with my new regime of no heat, wearing up most days, moisturising lengths and ends twice a day and popping the pills, theoretically, it should be able to develop some length from all of that. HOWEVER, I don't know if I've cut enough of the damage out. The bottom, darker layers I have gone through with a fine tooth comb practically, in good, natural light and I think I must've cut it all out last week when I went a bit mental with the scissors as I honestly can't see anymore breakage/ split patches. It's just a bit dry, but my hair always has been. I'm hoping the twice a day coconut oil etc moisturising will help with that.

There is still slight breakage in places on my bleached, blonde layer, I I kw it needs a good cut to get rid of those and even it all up, but I'm just a bit scared now, I don't want layers finishing at my ears, I'd look ridiculous! I plan to try and cut all the damage out each week, over a period of a month or so to try and retain some length in the top layers if possible.

Gah, I hate this. I really hope I get some growth as I look like a right bloody scruff at the moment with it just tied up all the time!

Horrorpops
October 11th, 2015, 08:29 AM
Idreamlong it sounds like you've made some excellent changes and are really starting to care for your hair! Honestly now it is just a waiting game to give those changes time to work.

I know it can be hard went you're just starting out and it seems like it takes forever but persistence really does wonders :)

I don't know if it helps but many of us here have been in your shoes and feel your pain! I know when I was just starting to grow out my buzz cut and then bleach damage it really helped me to know it can be done! I have some pics in my albums that show how short my hair was. When it was blonde it was also super damaed from bleach and heat. It was snapping off when I beushed it and felt like cooked pasta when I washed it! It is so much healthier and longer now, but it took time and a lot of patience. :)

ETA also tbh your hair without extensions doesn't look too bad! You can put it up, and is far from scruff! :)

truepeacenik
October 11th, 2015, 09:12 AM
One more thing, don't fight your texture!

Plenty of the straighties here permed in the past.
If I could find a perm that was damage free, I'd be all spiraled up!

spidermom
October 12th, 2015, 01:30 PM
Can you do a french twist? It's such a good and easy style for your current length.

Greys0n
October 14th, 2015, 01:49 AM
I'm sorry you have had such a long and tough journey with your hair. I dream about long hair too. I can advise you to use argan oil and before drying your hair, put a bit on the ends of the hair. And not the less important thing is a hair dryer. I bought mine on http://www.qbicwashrooms.co.uk/ and it has 3 air temperature settings and cool button. So you have to dry your hair carefully on the middle temperature. It makes the tips less brittle.

Idreamlong
October 14th, 2015, 02:02 AM
Thanks Greyson, I will give the argan oil a try too.

I don’t use the hairdryer anymore, haven’t for a few weeks now and won’t, ever again, unless it is absolutely necessary and yes, even then would use it on the cool setting.

I have attached some pictures as promised of my hair dried, just after it’s been washed last night, and then first thing this morning after being slept on!

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx121/horsemadme/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps6o1rwq6z.jpg (http://s748.photobucket.com/user/horsemadme/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps6o1rwq6z.jpg.html)

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx121/horsemadme/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpskkne7de1.jpg (http://s748.photobucket.com/user/horsemadme/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpskkne7de1.jpg.html)

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx121/horsemadme/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps3p4zdnjr.jpg (http://s748.photobucket.com/user/horsemadme/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps3p4zdnjr.jpg.html)

carrie30
October 14th, 2015, 02:44 AM
Sorry if you've already mentioned this, but are you going to grow out your colour and go natural, or are you hoping to maintain the blonde and grow it? X

Idreamlong
October 14th, 2015, 02:51 AM
Sorry if you've already mentioned this, but are you going to grow out your colour and go natural, or are you hoping to maintain the blonde and grow it? X

It's something I am contemplating at the moment. I never have my lengths or ends bleached, only ever my roots. I think I'll either try and get some length with colour in or switch to a different dye whist it's growing out (not bleach) that my old hairdresser used to use. It didn't get it as blonde but it was a lot kinder to my hair. But yeh, don't know if I could bring myself to go all natural.

Arctic
October 14th, 2015, 07:18 AM
Beautiful waves!!!

Horrorpops
October 14th, 2015, 07:49 AM
You have a gorgeous wavey texture! :o

lapushka
October 14th, 2015, 08:30 AM
Hey, are those almost curls I spot? OMG. Girl, that is awesome!!! :D

Idreamlong
October 14th, 2015, 08:41 AM
Ah, thanks guys.

My 'curls' have been the bane of my life though, I have always dreamt of straight, glossy, swishy hair :dreams:

lapushka
October 15th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Ah, thanks guys.

My 'curls' have been the bane of my life though, I have always dreamt of straight, glossy, swishy hair :dreams:

We always want what we haven't got, grass is greener, etc. ;) I would keep your hair natural, though, it's *so* lovely. And with time you'll learn to really care for it more!

vpatt
October 15th, 2015, 10:20 AM
Your curls are so pretty! I think your hair is much nicer than what you think.

AutobotsAttack
October 15th, 2015, 06:21 PM
You are very pretty hun! :) and I would agree with everyone else here as well. No more heat, and maybe you can twist or braid or plait your extensions so they match your curl pattern when your hair is down or do a scrunch style with a bit of mousse. Also I would suggest you start cowashing too just to add McHall needed moisture to your locks.

lilin
October 16th, 2015, 03:19 AM
Ah, thanks guys.

Hey, plenty of straight haired girls want what you have. Everyone always wants what someone else has!

My experience with wurly hair is that the more you fight it, the more rebellious it becomes. If you don't fight it, it starts to behave.

I know what you mean, that it can seem like an unruly curse. But that's because it is a sensitive hair type that doesn't like to be manhandled. If you treat it right, it can be glossy and swishy, and springy, which is something unique to curly hair -- it just won't be straight.

I second looking into the curly girl method, or one of the many modifications thereof. Seriously, it can make a huge difference. Throwing away my brush and giving up shampoo made a HUGE difference to me. My hair went from being a frizzy tangle monster with limp waves to looking like loosely curled mermaid hair that stays shiny and tangle-free, completely untouched, even 3 days after I washed it (I am perhaps slightly curlier than you). It looked completely different. I almost couldn't believe it was my hair.

It is possible for some people to achieve long healthy hair while committing one of the "hair sins," but the usual advice is to pick only one. If you dye, don't heat style. If you heat style, don't dye. We have people here like that, who do sometimes heat style, or who dye their hair all kinds of fun colors. But not many who do both.

And then there are some people whose hair simply can't tolerate any hair sins at all without having problems. I'm one of those people, actually.

Also, that is a very, very light blonde color you're lifting to with your top layer. That is a lot of bleach, and therefore a lot of stress on the hair. Keep in mind, most of the time the top layer takes the most day-to-day abuse. That's the hair that you want to be the strongest.

If you really want to keep dyeing, I would suggest maybe finding a color that doesn't require such an aggressive chemical treatment, and accepting your texture. I've seen some really gorgeous examples of colored curly hair.

Seriously, give some variation of the curly girl method a try for a couple weeks. You might be really surprised what you wind up with.

Idreamlong
October 16th, 2015, 04:41 AM
Aww, thanks guys.

Guess what, today is the 4 week anniversary that I last straightened my hair :):applause (with exception to the top layer, which has gone from everyday straightening, to just once in almost 4 weeks for when I went out last Friday night!!)

It is honestly so much shinier, softer and yes, the curls are so much nicer. I went through last night again and searched for splits and breaks in my bottom, darker layers and again, could barely find any after my massive chop a few weeks ago. My top layers obviously still have some damage but I am slowly but surely S&Ding it all out.

I looked at my hair properly lose yesterday also for the first time in about a month and I don’t think I’m imagining it (though I could be as I haven’t measured, need to do that!) I swear it looks a bit longer!

I rang my hair dresser on Wednesday too and spoke to her about my highlights and the bleach, we’re going to have a chat next time I go in and see if there is anything else apart from bleach she can use, or put some darker bits through the top. I have decided, instead of having my root touch ups every 4 weeks, I will stretch them to 8 weeks, thus saving me money and going from bleaching the roots 12 times a year to 6. I looked at the ‘coconut oil saved my hair’ thread this morning too and will coconut oil the roots from now on too before my highlights.

I agree re choosing one ‘sin’ and my ‘sin’ will be the highlighting (but hopefully not as often, with a less harsh chemical and with a full coconut oil coating beforehand to reduce damage) as I can’t believe I am typing this but I honestly haven’t needed to straighten my hair apart from the very top layer once in the last 3-4 weeks and haven’t missed it at all. It saves me so much time in the morning and before a night out.

I purchased some Joico K-Pak deep penetrating conditioner and also the Joico intense hydrating conditioner which arrived yesterday which I will try out tomorrow on my ‘wash day’

So yes, thanks to you all and the LHC forum, I am feeling much more positive about my natural hair and hopefully (prays) potential growth for 2016!

P.S, silly question but what do you guys use to measure your growth each month, like a tape measure, ruler? Could I measure my highlight growth each month for an estimate?

vpatt
October 16th, 2015, 06:02 PM
I have trouble measuring with a tape so I marked lines on an old t-shirt. But I don't see why you can't use your highlighting to measure by. Sounds like you are treating your hair so much nicer, good for you!

spidermom
October 16th, 2015, 09:00 PM
I didn't find measuring helpful as the results were so variable. I could measure 5 times and get 5 different results.

It is helpful to find a patterned shirt for hair pictures. Horizontal stripes are ideal. Take a picture (or have someone else do it) from the back every month or two, and you will see your progress.

lilin
October 17th, 2015, 02:41 AM
Aww, thanks guys.

Guess what, today is the 4 week anniversary that I last straightened my hair :):applause (with exception to the top layer, which has gone from everyday straightening, to just once in almost 4 weeks for when I went out last Friday night!!)

It is honestly so much shinier, softer and yes, the curls are so much nicer. I went through last night again and searched for splits and breaks in my bottom, darker layers and again, could barely find any after my massive chop a few weeks ago. My top layers obviously still have some damage but I am slowly but surely S&Ding it all out.

I looked at my hair properly lose yesterday also for the first time in about a month and I don’t think I’m imagining it (though I could be as I haven’t measured, need to do that!) I swear it looks a bit longer!

I rang my hair dresser on Wednesday too and spoke to her about my highlights and the bleach, we’re going to have a chat next time I go in and see if there is anything else apart from bleach she can use, or put some darker bits through the top. I have decided, instead of having my root touch ups every 4 weeks, I will stretch them to 8 weeks, thus saving me money and going from bleaching the roots 12 times a year to 6. I looked at the ‘coconut oil saved my hair’ thread this morning too and will coconut oil the roots from now on too before my highlights.

I agree re choosing one ‘sin’ and my ‘sin’ will be the highlighting (but hopefully not as often, with a less harsh chemical and with a full coconut oil coating beforehand to reduce damage) as I can’t believe I am typing this but I honestly haven’t needed to straighten my hair apart from the very top layer once in the last 3-4 weeks and haven’t missed it at all. It saves me so much time in the morning and before a night out.

I purchased some Joico K-Pak deep penetrating conditioner and also the Joico intense hydrating conditioner which arrived yesterday which I will try out tomorrow on my ‘wash day’

So yes, thanks to you all and the LHC forum, I am feeling much more positive about my natural hair and hopefully (prays) potential growth for 2016!

P.S, silly question but what do you guys use to measure your growth each month, like a tape measure, ruler? Could I measure my highlight growth each month for an estimate?

I'm glad you and your hair are doing better. :) In addition to everything you mentioned, you might want to ask your stylist about Opalex, which is designed to help hair resist damage from dyeing and bleaching. We have a couple members who think it helped a fair amount.

The usual LHC "method" of measuring is to take a flexible/cloth measuring tape (like used for tailoring -- or alternatively take a piece of string and then measure it, if your measuring tape is stiff), starting at the front of your hairline at the top of your forehead, going over the back of your head, and then down your length.

Some curlies measure length by pulling the hair straight (that's me, since I don't have an enormous amount of shrinkage), while others measure length by how it naturally hangs (this is more common for people whose hair is very curly and shrinks up a lot).

gthlvrmx
October 17th, 2015, 03:24 AM
I'm glad you and your hair are doing better. :) In addition to everything you mentioned, you might want to ask your stylist about Opalex, which is designed to help hair resist damage from dyeing and bleaching. We have a couple members who think it helped a fair amount.

The usualy LHC "method" of measuring is to take a flexible/cloth measuring tape (like used for tailoring -- or alternatively take a piece of string and then measure it, if your measuring tape is stiff), starting at the front of your hairline at the top of your forehead, going over the back of your head, and then down your length.

Some curlies measure length by pulling the hair straight (that's me, since I don't have an enormous amount of shrinkage), while others measure length by how it naturally hangs (this is more common for people whose hair is very curly and shrinks up a lot).
This is a friendly reply that you might have gotten what I put in bold mixed up. It's more common for curly haired people to stretch their hair out for measuring because it shrinks up a lot, and people with less curly hair sometimes don't stretch their hair for when they measure. Those less curly haired people can just measure length by how it naturally hangs. I think that's what you meant. Sorry for offending you with me noticing that if that wasn't what you meant!

Idreamlong
October 17th, 2015, 05:07 AM
Thanks guys, I've got one of those loose tape measurey things somewhere, will try finding it! I've also got some stripey tops too for monthly measurements/photos, though I think I may do mine every 2 months, more to notice then 😛

sweetpeggyo
October 17th, 2015, 09:06 AM
Hi there!

Your struggle sounds much like mine; I had my over-bleached hair hacked off in December, panicked, agonized while waiting for regrowth...and eventually swore off of all heat in mid-June (we had a solid 6 weeks of rain--styling would have been in vain anyway lol). I "wash" twice a week, use coconut oil, and take supplements. My hair is sooo much better now! I think that using a "cleansing conditioner" is what has made the most difference. Sally has a great version of Wen that's BOGO this month. It might be worth a try for you!

PS I also ordered a neutral-henna conditioning treatment on the Henna Color Lab site. It is an ayurvedic treatment that deep conditions but doesn't stain hair. It's on sale right now if you'd like to check it out.

Good luck!