PDA

View Full Version : Hair won't go back to normal after curling

tiny_teesha
October 10th, 2015, 12:44 PM
For my sisters wedding I needed to get my hair teased and curled. After shampooing twice I realise the bone dry texture wasn't leaving. I left my hair damp in a bun with leave in and intend to oil in the morning.
Will my hair ever go back to normal? It feels awful like straw!! :( it's really Scary!
This has happened once before also after curling and I'm pretty sure it didn't ever fix .
Thanks for all input!

luxurioushair
October 10th, 2015, 01:16 PM
So sorry, it's been heat damaged, and you would've known that this is a risk everytime you decide to use heat in your hair. Teasing or backcombing are also very bad practices in my opinion. You can kind of stabilize your hair by doing lots of deep conditioning and starting to moisturize it often, and maybe too much of it won't break off. But I don't think it's possible to repair the hair. You'll just have to grow out the damaged hair over time. And choose heat-free curling methods for your hair after this experience.

-Fern
October 10th, 2015, 01:58 PM
:grouphug: The things we do for family, eh? :eyebrows:

I don't think your hair is irreparably fried after one day of heat styling, though, so don't panic. :flower:

I would recommend first give your hair a little pampering with a deep conditioning treatment such as an SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128). If you do use oils, go for a penetrating oil like coconut oil. meteor has a modified recipe that she makes that includes a little protein, oil and humectants, so that might be perfect for you.

lapushka
October 10th, 2015, 02:15 PM
I'd start from scratch. Have a good clarify and deep condition afterwards.

Nadine <3
October 10th, 2015, 02:21 PM
Did they use hairspray or any other styling products? I would clarify it and do a DT.

meteor
October 10th, 2015, 02:58 PM
So sorry you are going through this! :grouphug: I really hope it's just temporary... :pray:

I'd *soak* hair in oil overnight as a pre-poo - choose your favorite, maybe something like olive, avocado, coconut or some other penetrating oil? Then clarify it out and maybe follow up with some protein treatment and then a deep moisturizing conditioner? Then you could use a few drops of oil to seal in the moisture or use a LOC-style leave-in process. It should help with that straw-like feeling quite a bit. :)

I would recommend first give your hair a little pampering with a deep conditioning treatment such as an SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128). If you do use oils, go for a penetrating oil like coconut oil. meteor has a modified recipe that she makes that includes a little protein, oil and humectants, so that might be perfect for you.

Yes :agree: , I like diluting a pack of Knox gelatin in ~1/4 cup hot water + 1/2 cup conditioner + 1-2 tbsp of honey + 1 tsp of oil.
It takes care of both protein and moisture for me. I think it can be easily modified any way you want: if more protein is needed, use more gelatin; and if more moisture is needed, use more honey and oil or a more moisturizing conditioner... :)

Arctic
October 10th, 2015, 03:36 PM
:waving: Hi Teesha! I hope you get your hair back to normal very soon!

spidermom
October 10th, 2015, 04:15 PM
Good to see you; it's been forever! Deep condition it at least once per week; that should help.

Years ago I mixed baking soda with shampoo to clarify my hair, and it nearly destroyed my hair. It matted together like I'd felted it. I had to start every single day by wetting my hair down then adding a lot of conditioner, and letting it soak for a few minutes. That was the only way that I could comb out my hair. Little by little, my hair texture returned to normal. What a relief! Maybe that would help you, too.

kaylenfalse
October 12th, 2015, 06:16 PM
As someone who has done a lot of heat styling, I really don't think you need to worry about heat damage from a one time deal. I think the shampoo you're using might have something to do with it. Natural shampoo just can't get the hairspray out. Professional hairsprays have generally taken me 2-3 washes with sulfate shampoo to get all the way out.