PDA

View Full Version : Husband's scalp issue. Any ideas? (pictures)

Jeno86
October 8th, 2015, 10:35 PM
So quite recently, my husband has developed three red circles on his scalp which has turned into a really flaky patches. We've tried using a new shampoo/conditioner as well as a few herbal rinses and nothing is helping. The patches don't bother him (i.e. itching or pain) but the flaky bits are getting worse and seem to be affecting hair growth slightly. If anyone has any ideas of what could be causing it or something we could do to heal the skin, we'd appreciate it. Sorry about the photo qualities, it was hard to get a good photo. In the first one, the red circle is near his forehead. Sorry about picture size, I couldn't get them smaller.

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z325/Ronin_Kitra623/20151006_192138_zpsjbtl8jxh.jpg (http://s1184.photobucket.com/user/Ronin_Kitra623/media/20151006_192138_zpsjbtl8jxh.jpg.html)

turtlelover
October 8th, 2015, 10:38 PM
Possible fungal infection? I'd see a dermatologist.

lapushka
October 9th, 2015, 05:04 AM
Yes go to a doctor. It looks like seborrheic dermatitis to me, a little (mine looks worse, bigger flakes, huger angry red spots), and my hair would start falling out. What helps me is Nizoral 2% but in the US that is prescription. So... see a derm!

Silver Strands
October 9th, 2015, 05:18 AM
You describe them as red circles. Could they be ringworm?

lapushka
October 9th, 2015, 05:38 AM
We can guess all we want. :shrug: Ultimately he needs to go see a doctor. Just IMMHO. :flower:

Silver Strands
October 9th, 2015, 05:53 AM
Yes.
And ringworm is not an actual worm, but a fungus that you can pass on to others.
So yes, a Dr.'s visit is in order.

AZDesertRose
October 9th, 2015, 10:35 AM
I agree with several of the posters above. Get him to the dermatologist. I hope the dermatologist can give him something to help. That looks uncomfortable to me.

Best wishes!

spidermom
October 9th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Another vote for a doctor visit.

meteor
October 9th, 2015, 11:27 AM
I agree with everybody else: I'd definitely see a dermatologist ASAP! :agree:

Even just a family doctor might be able to diagnose and prescribe the right medication.

Possible fungal infection? I'd see a dermatologist.

You describe them as red circles. Could they be ringworm?

That was my immediate guess, as well. The sooner you get it checked out by a doctor, the faster and easier the treatment. :flower:
It should be an easy fix, but I should mention that all prescribed anti-fungals have to be used very consistently (without skipping steps/treatments).
Best of luck! :D I hope your DH's scalp will be healed up in no time! :flower:

lapushka
October 9th, 2015, 02:02 PM
Keep us posted! :)

Anje
October 9th, 2015, 02:07 PM
The "red circle" description is a flag for ringworm for me as well. (Ringworm is a fungal thing, not a worm.) Get it checked out and treated ASAP, because it can cause hair loss at the site and gets bigger over time. It's also quite contagious.

AutobotsAttack
October 9th, 2015, 02:52 PM
I'm not too sure but castor oils, and peppermint, and a good anti fungal cream should fix it :)

Ephemia
October 9th, 2015, 03:12 PM
I can't see the circles in the picture, but it does sound like ringworm to me, especially as it doesn't itch - ringworm often doesn't. If you have pets, you might want to check them out as ringworm can spread between animals and humans.

Wildcat Diva
October 9th, 2015, 08:30 PM
I thought ringworm immediately too. My three boys got it on scalp years ago from our dog I suspect.
Dermatologist recommended a cream which we applied several times a day for weeks which took care of it in a few weeks. There is an oral treatment but can cause liver damage. On the scalp it's really difficult to treat but the several times a day prescription cream did it for us.

Immediate doctor visit to dermatologist is my vote. No home remedies here suggested for this one.

If you want me to find out the name of the prescription cream I can call the doctor's office because I have forgotten.

Nadine <3
October 9th, 2015, 10:31 PM
My first thought was ringworm. I would see a doctor.

Winterwitch
October 9th, 2015, 11:02 PM
I just starting getting that too, I get it on and off.
I don't know what it is specifically, but tea tree oil diluted in coconut oil makes it go away. It's probably bacteria or fungus.
If it is different than mine and its due to dryness instead of infection, have him stop washing his hair with sulfate shampoo and don't wash/rinse with hot water.

MsPharaohMoan
October 9th, 2015, 11:49 PM
As helpful as home remedies can be, this seems like something a pro should see! ;)

Jeno86
October 10th, 2015, 12:43 AM
Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond ^__^ Once we get the money, he'll make a doctor's appointment. Until then, I'm going to keep any eye on it.

lapushka
October 10th, 2015, 06:30 AM
Get some Nizoral shampoo in the mean time. Whatever you can get over the counter. See if it alleviates it - if you can't afford a doctor's visit at least it might help. Other things? Home remedies? Not so much. Really!

betterhairday
October 11th, 2015, 07:29 AM
Get it checked by a dermatologist first in case it is ringworm, but if it isn't this is what my husband did.

My husband's problem looks the same but it didn't start with a red circles. I just gave him jojoba oil to rub on the flaky bits after each shampoo. It stopped itching almost instantly and after a couple of weeks the flaky patches disappeared as well. He is continuing to apply the jojoba oil to his whole scalp now after every single shampoo. Touch wood it is working. I bought jojoba oil from Naissance, Amazon, UK.

mindwiped
October 11th, 2015, 05:28 PM
If it is ringworm, that's fungal. Athlete's foot cream our yeast infection cream is the usual cure, and what our doctor had DH use. Sadly, for the kittens he picked it up from, there had to be an expensive, lickable lotion

Wildcat Diva
October 12th, 2015, 06:55 AM
On the face and scalp, ringworm is supposed to be difficult to treat. And it spreads. I would not wait very long to get to a doctor if it as me. I am sorry that finances are a concern. And this is someone coming from if it was anywhere else on body, I'd just treat with OTC cream and skip doctor. I am really glad I look my boys to a dermatologist when they had it on their scalps. Don't go to a regular doctor for this IMO. Dermatologist.

I did some poking, Many sites, and I'm right... Scalp ringworm is often more difficult to treat. Many sites say this. I would not wait and I would not self treat.
http://www.hairsentinel.com/tinea-capitis.html

Jeno86
October 24th, 2015, 12:26 PM
I just wanted to post an update. While we still haven't been able to take him to a doctor, I was able to get him some medicated shampoo. It seems to be doing the trick. The redness is gone and the flakes are almost completely gone. I'm going to keep am eye on things but it's nice to see it get under control.

Thank you everyone for helping with this! I really appreciate it!

lapushka
October 24th, 2015, 01:21 PM
I'm glad it's helping. :)