PDA

View Full Version : BRILLIANT heat free straightening!

prettyinpink
October 8th, 2015, 01:33 PM
All you need is a shop vaccume! Make sure you clean the hose out, and make sure you have a hose that's long enough so your hair only goes in the hose, not the actual vaccume. dampen and comb your hair, then just vaccume it in sections until its dry.

What do you guys think? Damaging? it seemed to work for me!

Nightshade
October 8th, 2015, 01:59 PM
This one is going to require pictures. Before, the entire process, and after :lol:

LegoCaltrops
October 8th, 2015, 02:18 PM
Questions:
- How do you clean the hose out properly?
- Do you only do this occasionally - and therefore have the hassle of cleaning the hose every time? Or do you intend to buy a second vacuum cleaner for actually cleaning? :grin:
- Won't this wreck the motor? With all the moisture?
- Doesn't it massively tangle your hair?

lapushka
October 8th, 2015, 02:20 PM
Maybe it's too harsh on the follicles especially when the suction is on a high level, so much so that it will pull hair out. I'm worried for that!

prettyinpink
October 8th, 2015, 02:23 PM
I just took the hose off and soaked it in the bath in some bleach water. When I put my hair in it, it is slightly damp, not super wet. Im not sure if that will break it, so far it hasn't. It dosent tangle your hair at all surprisingly! It turned out pretty good, it did poof up a little, but over all it worked better then wrapping
If your hair is super long, I bet you could try attatching a PVC pipe? Yeeeehaw!

xoAshley
October 8th, 2015, 02:23 PM
Maybe it's too harsh on the follicles especially when the suction is on a high level, so much so that it will pull hair out. I'm worried for that!

I second this.... I'm sure it yanks a lot of strands out without you realizing it, they are very powerful after all. Yikes!!! shudder:

prettyinpink
October 8th, 2015, 02:24 PM
I divided my hair in half and did half at a time

prettyinpink
October 8th, 2015, 02:25 PM
I was worried about pulling my hair out too, it didn't seem too pull that hard, but I don't know

Arctic
October 8th, 2015, 02:30 PM
Does it look something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2TSHAFUGJ0 ?

Anje
October 8th, 2015, 02:42 PM
Hey, fewer shed hairs on the floor!

ETA: For what it's worth, it looks like replacement shopvac hoses aren't too expensive. It wouldn't be hard to have a dedicated one for hair. That way you don't have to clean it out again after, say, dealing with basement floods.

meteor
October 8th, 2015, 02:43 PM
Wow. :bigeyes: Very interesting. :) Apparently, it can be done on shorter hair: http://www.wikihow.com/Straighten-Hair-With-a-Vacuum

Also, it kind of reminded me of this funny way of putting hair in a ponytail :lol: :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU0apPx4-LQ

So you didn't feel any serious pull, prettyinpink? :)

I think I would worry about potential damage from the suction, but I guess there would be no way to see any weathering/mechanical damage until it's accumulated... :hmm:

Hmm, if it really works I wish there was a commercial product for that, with longer and wider hose for more hair - maybe it can be created? :hmm:

lillielil
October 8th, 2015, 02:50 PM
Meteor - the first link you posted includes a warning that it is damaging.

I don't think I'll be likely to try this anytime soon, but I agree we need pictures!

Anje
October 8th, 2015, 02:54 PM
Meteor - the first link you posted includes a warning that it is damaging.

I don't think I'll be likely to try this anytime soon, but I agree we need pictures!

Yeah, but mostly because it was drying. I see this as potentially analogous to blowdrying with no heat. I'd worry if it whips the ends around a lot, but... there are way worse things you can do to your hair. :)

Nightshade
October 8th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Yeah, but mostly because it was drying. I see this as potentially analogous to blowdrying with no heat. I'd worry if it whips the ends around a lot, but... there are way worse things you can do to your hair. :)

I agree. There's also a fair amount of YouTube videos of this sort of thing, and it seems pretty harmless to do once in awhile.

luxurioushair
October 9th, 2015, 04:51 AM
Can't tell if OP is trolling or not...

betterhairday
October 11th, 2015, 07:50 AM
Does it look something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2TSHAFUGJ0 ?

Very interesting and thanks for sharing Arctic, I wonder who was the first person to think of this idea and it seems to work.

LadyCelestina
October 11th, 2015, 11:26 AM
Wow this is my worst nightmare- getting hair stuck in the vacuum. :D

Alex Lou
October 11th, 2015, 11:36 AM
I thought this was a joke at first.

If I saw video or photos of this working, I'd probably still try it, lol.

Groovy Granny
October 11th, 2015, 11:37 AM
The guy was doing it cuz his daughter thought it was fun (her poor fine hair) :(

When I think of the time involved and pulling with the vacuum to SUCK moisture out.....:nono: Not for me.....there are better ways IMHO

But if it works for YOU....great!
Good luck lol

Nightshade
October 11th, 2015, 01:41 PM
It's a shop vac, there's no blade or anything between the hose and the container so her hair wouldn't get caught :)

lapushka
October 11th, 2015, 02:02 PM
Yeah, well, you know... I thought some more about it. I wouldn't put my freshly washed hair down a hose that sucked up a ton of dust particles and isn't that hygienic inside anymore. Just... you know... yuck. :lol:

Upside Down
October 11th, 2015, 03:13 PM
:lol: that was my first reaction too, lapushka!

So has anyone here done it?
Do you start with wet hair and then it dries in the vacuum? How long does it take??

I am being curious but I don't see myself trying it :lol:

DaniJoy
October 11th, 2015, 03:16 PM

Had the same thought. :/

tigress86
October 12th, 2015, 02:16 AM
I would be too scared to ever try this.

Arctic
October 12th, 2015, 08:58 AM

Had the same thought. :/

https://i.imgflip.com/sf50s.jpg

Llama
October 12th, 2015, 09:21 AM
This is terrifying. Why not just blow dry it straight with a hair dryer? Much safer than putting yr hair inside a shopvac hose and hoping for the best. I am just cringing at the thought lol.

alo93
October 12th, 2015, 10:42 AM
I wouldn't do it; don't think it would work well on really curly hair textures. I'd imagine a lot of frizz, but I'm a die hard supporter of wrapping hair with pins while its wet for heat-free straightening :shrug: that was the big game changer in my routine