PDA

View Full Version : Brown hair turning green after dyeing?

oceanlove
October 7th, 2015, 12:47 PM
I need a bit of advice. Just recently, I went to a salon and had my hair cut (all damaged ends were cut off) and professionally dyed back to brown from bleach blonde as I wanted to get back to my natural color eventually and grow it out. I then noticed that the ends of my hair were looking like they had a green tint in some light. I went back to the hairdresser and she agreed, so she warmed the ends up at no charge. The first few days the color was perfect! Now, I am noticing that again my hair is starting to get a greenish/greyish tint in some lights. Maybe I am just being paranoid, but it just doesn't look "right" to me. I have read that if you have that green tint, you should dye your hair with a red dye. My question is, should I dye it red or not? It has already been through so much that I don't want to damage it even more, and I'm afraid dying it again will cause more damage...but at the same time... I. don't. want. green. hair. Now, its not like GREEN green, its just kind of a greenish/grey tint. Can anyone weigh in on this? Should I dye red over it or just leave it and hope it goes away on its own eventually? Maybe just wear my hair in a bun for the next few months? hellllp! :confused:

meteor
October 7th, 2015, 12:57 PM
I'd go back to the hairdresser but ask her to use a semi-permanent dye or a temporary dye, something without peroxide/developer, to warm up the color. She will need something red. I think red pigment washes out rather easily, so this issue might happen again... (To reduce color fading try to stretch washes and to keep hair up and covered it with hats when outside (water and UV rays make dyes fade faster).)

Alternatively, you could look into DIY, say, using Manic Panic, Adore or some other temporary dye, or maybe even a henna gloss - but only if you know 100% that you want it to be absolutely permanent (henna is significantly more permanent than permanent dyes). Always strand-test first! :D

arr
October 7th, 2015, 01:16 PM
If you want to go the DIY route and try something non damaging, I've had success mixing Manic Panic color with my shampoo and conditioner to counteract unwanted tones. In my case I'm trying to downplay brassy orange tones so I use blue dye. I mix mine until it's quite deep, about the same depth as commercial purple shampoo/conditioner. Then I just use it maybe every third or fourth wash. I think it works better than semi or demi traditional hair dyes. In your case it sounds like you would use red, maybe red/violet. If you decide to try it, do a strand test first and start with a more dilute mixture.

luxurioushair
October 7th, 2015, 01:34 PM
I think it's best to leave it alone...otherwise you will end up with more damage to cut off.

Anje
October 7th, 2015, 04:48 PM
Sounds to me like she did a very ashy brown dye, and you wanted something warmer. You might be able to tone it a bit warmer, but I think I'd go back to the pros before fiddling with it too much.

I vote no on the henna, just because it's fiddly and not something you'd want to be experimenting with on this. Plus, it's going to make root touchups weirder.

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 05:00 PM
I would definitely go back to the hairdresser. Its difficult going from blond to brown. There must be something she didnt do or that didnt take properly. She should willingly be able to fix it for you and as meteor said..preferably with a temp dye without peroxides.
This happened to me but my situation was different..I put box dye over what was probably sketchy henna. The green was nearly impossible to correct..It had an ashy duck poopy tone for ages..And I went to very expensive salons 3 of them..for colour adjusting.
I doubt your situation will be this complicated though ..but you're completely in your right to have the colourist who did it fix it to your satisfaction.
If it continues to return then you may just have to keep on applying the semi permanents for some time on your own. (making sure no peroxide or amonia)
The elumen thread here..which isnt currently active had some accounts of toning casts down...such as the red of henna. For toning green you would use some kind of red formulation.
You could research that too.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=87394

Frankenstein
October 7th, 2015, 05:23 PM
This happened to me a long time ago except the green/grey was much more than a tint :lol: I used what was supposed to be a "neutral" brown but it must have had a lot of ash tones. It's pretty common for this to happen when going from blonde to brown. I would suggest letting it be for now and wait to see if the green tone fades after several washes. If not and it still bothers you, you could try semi-permanent color?

missmelaniem
October 7th, 2015, 09:20 PM
When I colored I loved the green base color tints because they counteracted the red very well. I absolutely hated when my hair would fade and the red/orange (super subtle... but it would revert to a more reddish undertone when the tint fades) from the peroxide lift would come through.

I would wait it out. That base color green will fade. Definitley dont do anything else colorwise. I would just live with it till it fades

missmelaniem
October 7th, 2015, 09:24 PM
BTW if you do decide to color again later you may want to find an Aveda salon. They use a red filler under their browns so you wont have that issue again. I personally dislike it a lot, but it sounds more like what you are looking for.

i'm an ex-hairdresser. went to beauty school right out of high school, worked in a few salons and decided it wasnt for me. just pls be careful whatever you do!

Horrorpops
October 8th, 2015, 05:50 AM
Hey, my experience and understanding is that when hair is bleached it removes all pigments, but red is the hardest to get out which is why people tend to go black to brown to orange to yellow to blonde. Hair throws a lot of red pigment before it can be taken to blonde. As a result when you put a brown dye over bleached hair it is filled with red pigment initially, but for whatever reason red is also super easy to lose. This is why a lot of dyed red-heads complain about how quick their red colour fades.

When red washes out of previously bleached and now brown hair it leaves behind that greeny-ash colour. So yeah, the solution tends to be to continue to fill it with red.

However some good news is that the more times you fill the hair with red, the more sticky the pigments get because there is more and more to grab onto. So normally people don't need to keep warming up the ends for the next 5 years but it may take more than one or two goes to stop the green appearing. I hope this helps! :)

I'd just say go back to the hairdresser and have her fill it with red pigments again. Maybe ask her if there is anything you can do to make the pigment stick around more too? I know special colour-treated shampoo can help, as can washing hair in cold water. Similarly try to stretch washes because the more you wash the hair the faster the red will be pulled out

lapushka
October 8th, 2015, 05:54 AM
Definitely go back to the professionals for this. You don't want to tackle this on your own, besides, they can use the feedback me thinks! They might fix this for free if it's something that went wrong with the service, which is likely what happened. Don't settle for cutting off the green. Insist they color-correct!

Kiiruna
October 8th, 2015, 06:47 AM
Warm brown color mask should do the trick - if not, mix in a bit of red.

oceanlove
October 8th, 2015, 07:01 AM
If you want to go the DIY route and try something non damaging, I've had success mixing Manic Panic color with my shampoo and conditioner to counteract unwanted tones. In my case I'm trying to downplay brassy orange tones so I use blue dye. I mix mine until it's quite deep, about the same depth as commercial purple shampoo/conditioner. Then I just use it maybe every third or fourth wash. I think it works better than semi or demi traditional hair dyes. In your case it sounds like you would use red, maybe red/violet. If you decide to try it, do a strand test first and start with a more dilute mixture.

Thank you! That actually sounds quite simple and not very damaging at all. Where can I purchase this "Manic Panic"? Is it in any drugstore or would I have to order online or go to a speciality store?

oceanlove
October 8th, 2015, 07:02 AM
I think it's best to leave it alone...otherwise you will end up with more damage to cut off.

Thank you for your thoughts! This is my thought at the moment. A lot of my friends have advised me that I'm just being overly paranoid and looking at my hair for too long lol. So I may just leave it be.

oceanlove
October 8th, 2015, 07:04 AM
Sounds to me like she did a very ashy brown dye, and you wanted something warmer. You might be able to tone it a bit warmer, but I think I'd go back to the pros before fiddling with it too much.

I vote no on the henna, just because it's fiddly and not something you'd want to be experimenting with on this. Plus, it's going to make root touchups weirder.

Yes! The first time she dyed my hair it was realllly ashy, and a cool shade of brown, if that makes sense? I had wanted it waaaaay warmer than that and thought I had expressed that! Anyway, when I went back to her, she did warm it up...just not enough I guess. I am going to leave it be for now and wait a few weeks and see what happens, then possibly go back in to have some more warmth put in there.

oceanlove
October 8th, 2015, 07:11 AM
Thank you so much to everyone who responded! I really really appreciate the help and advice :) So, I think for now, to avoid more damage and complications to my hair, I am going to let it be. The green tint is not that bad, and as many people said, it is something that will most likely fade away on its own. I decided that IF it does not fade away and keeps bothering me that much, I will most likely schedule another salon appointment with the stylist and tell her straight out to put red in my hair to counteract the green OR try mixing the red dye with my conditioner, as someone on here suggested. I just really dislike the idea of putting any more dye into my hair at this point, because my whole idea was to get it back close to my original color so I could leave it alone and grow it out. Guess things don't always work out the way we plan though :confused:
Thanks again everyone!! I would post pictures on here but I don't know how to yet :(

arr
October 8th, 2015, 08:27 AM
Thank you! That actually sounds quite simple and not very damaging at all. Where can I purchase this "Manic Panic"? Is it in any drugstore or would I have to order online or go to a speciality store?

I buy it at a store called Sally Beauty Supply. I think most beauty supply stores that are open to the public (not just to licensed professionals) would carry it.

oceanlove
October 8th, 2015, 03:27 PM
http://s8.postimg.org/t2bqmnbdt/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/t2bqmnbdt/)

I am trying to post a picture of my current hair color, does this work?

Horrorpops
October 8th, 2015, 04:56 PM
That works! To be honest I can't see any green on my phones screen. Your hair looks fine!
I was expecting hair more like the middle band of green here (https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRhMDhC5LZ0ACXu4O02DUw9d00kAmZB bM4OjDW60kA1v77yFRlOcyHRXm8)

I don't think you need to do anything unless you're seeing something in person that I can't! :)

oceanlove
October 8th, 2015, 07:41 PM
That works! To be honest I can't see any green on my phones screen. Your hair looks fine!
I was expecting hair more like the middle band of green here (https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRhMDhC5LZ0ACXu4O02DUw9d00kAmZB bM4OjDW60kA1v77yFRlOcyHRXm8)

I don't think you need to do anything unless you're seeing something in person that I can't! :)

Thank you!! I think in person and in different lighting it does look more greenish, like the picture you had in your comment. So, I took the plunge and went red! It came out pretty well and I think I like the results, and now I definitely don't have to worry about greenish/grey hair!! Here is a picture:

http://s21.postimg.org/ad5iwfwer/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/ad5iwfwer/)

Groovy Granny
October 8th, 2015, 08:52 PM
That color is pretty on you...and so rich :thumbsup:

Horrorpops
October 9th, 2015, 05:50 AM
I second groovy granny - that is a beautiful colour!! You definitely won't have to worry about ashy-green tones any more :D

missmelaniem
October 9th, 2015, 06:59 AM
It looks great!

oceanlove
October 9th, 2015, 07:55 AM
Thank you so much everyone! I'm quite happy with the red :)

sweetaj
October 9th, 2015, 08:21 AM
Love the red! I've always wanted red hair.

JustPam
October 9th, 2015, 09:29 AM
If it was me I would just tone at home with a red deposit dye, I used them for several years so I'm quite confident using them, I understand not everyone might be though. Yes red (artificial red that is) fades really easily especially on bleached porous hair, and there's not really anything you can do to prevent it in the long run, cold water and fewer washes are fine for short term dye retention but it will still fade, just more slowly. I vote save your money and just DIY it if you're comfortable to, it's too small a job IMO to bother with a salon, it would be like going to a hairdresser for S&D.

ETA: Didn't read all the way through before replying and didn't see you had already gone red haha. Teach me to jump the gun.

meteor
October 9th, 2015, 11:30 AM
Congratulations on the new color, oceanlove! :applause It looks absolutely gorgeous! :crush:

oceanlove
October 9th, 2015, 02:20 PM
Congratulations on the new color, oceanlove! :applause It looks absolutely gorgeous! :crush:

Thank you very much!! :o

oceanlove
October 9th, 2015, 02:23 PM
The particular dye I used didn't do much damage to my hair at all, I was quite surprised. The only thing I have to work on are my already pretty dry/brittle ends. I had at one time used a protein treatment (years ago) for my ends only and it quite literally transformed them! Can't remember what it was now, as it was something an old roommate had. Anyone have any suggestions for a good protein treatment I can buy at Sally's or order online? Perhaps I'll search for the appropriate thread to answer that question, but if anyone sees this and has a suggestion please let me know :)

meteor
October 9th, 2015, 02:31 PM
The particular dye I used didn't do much damage to my hair at all, I was quite surprised. The only thing I have to work on are my already pretty dry/brittle ends. I had at one time used a protein treatment (years ago) for my ends only and it quite literally transformed them! Can't remember what it was now, as it was something an old roommate had. Anyone have any suggestions for a good protein treatment I can buy at Sally's or order online? Perhaps I'll search for the appropriate thread to answer that question, but if anyone sees this and has a suggestion please let me know :)

I like using DIY gelatin treatment for protein: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html I like to add gelatin to modified SMT (conditioner + honey + oil).
Some good quality commercial protein products for chemically treated hair: Joico K-Pak Reconstructor, Redken Extreme CAT, Anti-Snap, Extreme Builder Plus, and Aphogee 2-Step (it's really strong and should always be followed up with moisturizing treatment).

Also, I'd recommend looking into pre-poo oiling with coconut oil or some other penetrating oil. :)
HTH! :flower: