PDA

View Full Version : How You Wore Hair In Gradeschool

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 12:17 PM
I was just figuring out from another thread that as a child in grade school I never wore braids!
Barely wore pigtails either..only in kindergarten. I remember an annoying boy teasing me and pulling on them and I think this may have deterred me from wearing them.....lol

My hair was worn down and dishevelled..<tom-boyish :) Probably around BSL to MBL and it was much striaghter back then.

How did you wear your hair in gradeschool? * around ages 4-11

If you have girls do you do their hair?

I had a boy so I never had a chance but if I had a girl I imagine I would enjoy doing her hair in braids :) It would've been good practice...lol :p

T.I.A
Dollydagger :sun:

gustavonut
October 7th, 2015, 12:34 PM
Down. :P http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12029&attachmentid=19364

Also, oh my gosh I cannot wait to have a girl, she's gonna have such long healthy beautiful hair, I'm super excited!! :crush:

Nadine <3
October 7th, 2015, 12:37 PM
Down. I wore an occasional pony tail if it was hot.

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 12:37 PM
Down. :P http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12029&attachmentid=19364
You're like the missing Brady kid! :) so cute thanks; for sharing!

gustavonut
October 7th, 2015, 12:39 PM
You're like the missing Brady kid! :) so cute thanks; for sharing!

Lol! Oh gosh :spitting: That is great, haha, and thank you!

LegoCaltrops
October 7th, 2015, 12:45 PM
It was short (we call it a pudding bowl cut in the UK) & I hated it. I grew it as soon as I was allowed.

Christine_O
October 7th, 2015, 12:48 PM
I guess I always thought I had long hair, but looking over old family photographs, I realize that my sister and I took control of our own hair in high school. Before that we both had shoulder length bobs, just long enough for ponytails. Smart mom, she had 4 kids to contend with, and my sister and I were just as rough as the boys.

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 12:55 PM
I guess I always thought I had long hair, but looking over old family photographs, I realize that my sister and I took control of our own hair in high school. Before that we both had shoulder length bobs, just long enough for ponytails. Smart mom, she had 4 kids to contend with, and my sister and I were just as rough as the boys.
lol..I wasn't the ribbons, bows and dress type either. Pretty much always covered in scrapes and bruises. Dresses aren't conducive to major tree climbing :)

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 12:57 PM
It was short (we call it a pudding bowl cut in the UK) & I hated it. I grew it as soon as I was allowed.
Just bowl cut here..:)
That reminds me in grade 4 I had an ill advised dorthy hamil which was somewhat bowl-ish.

Qlarity
October 7th, 2015, 01:04 PM
I had long hair (waist?) in grade school that I often wore in two high ponytails that went straight out from the side of my head! I also remember pigtails with those hard plastic "bobbles" holding the ends of the braid. They were quite the playground weapon!

missrandie
October 7th, 2015, 01:06 PM
From Kindergarten to around 2nd grade it was mosly scrunchie pony tails.. From 2nd grade until around 8th grade it was worn in a baretted french twist/log roll thing my mom and I came up with. My hair was between waist and tailbone and fairytailed. Mom trimmed it once in a while, and I got mad at her for taking 4 inches of fairytales off one time. She realized why I got so mad and apologized, and never took more than an inch off again unless I explicitly told her to.

lillielil
October 7th, 2015, 01:35 PM
I wore mine in braids and ponytails a lot. In a ponytail, it would curl into one big ringlet. It was generally between shoulder and MBL.

My son has as much say over his hair as a 2-year-old really can. I had planned to wait until he said he wanted to cut it, but he ended up spending a lot of time with a hair-pulling "friend" when we couldn't get out of a childcare situation, so it was cut short. Now he alternates between long shaggy curls and short spiky little buzz cuts. When it is long I do clip it back, and he has rocked the occasional fountain ponytail or tiny french braid. Once he can reliably agree to let me comb it (or better yet do it himself!) he will be welcome to grow it out however he wants.

Hairkay
October 7th, 2015, 01:46 PM
This is easy. The trademark hairstyle was two plaits/braids. They were adorned by ribbons firstly then that changed to baubles. My hair was BSL and since it rubbed on my shoulders often the plaits would begin to curve over my shoulders. I've got a school picture with me at 9 years old and my plaits are curved at the sides of my head looking like two J s. Occasionally grandmother had put it in 4. The two front plaits got crossed over and pinned looking milkmaid style and the two back ones got ribbons/baubles as usual. Then there were the few times it was put up in one ponytail plait with/without a little cornrow at front. Without that cornrow the little wispies were free making a standing halo. I hated that look. Once my mother had my hair done in some cornrows in was what called a semi bell style. It's the front cornrowed up in one ponytail and the back cornrowed down. When I got to 14, I varied it a bit by doing two crown braids/cornrows. On rare occasions I'd experiment with other styles but I always returned back to my usual.

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 01:53 PM
J*_*L like that :) hairkay except probably with another J and not an L :)

I don't know why my mom never even tried putting me in braids. I don't remember refusing but maybe I did.
Seems such a logical hairdo to keep hair neat and out of the way. I do remember having super tangly hair...but we didnt even have conditioner..just this spray called tame...lol

Arctic
October 7th, 2015, 01:54 PM
What ages are grade schoolers? The term doesn't say anything to me :)

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 01:57 PM
I wore mine in braids and ponytails a lot. In a ponytail, it would curl into one big ringlet. It was generally between shoulder and MBL.

My son has as much say over his hair as a 2-year-old really can. I had planned to wait until he said he wanted to cut it, but he ended up spending a lot of time with a hair-pulling "friend" when we couldn't get out of a childcare situation, so it was cut short. Now he alternates between long shaggy curls and short spiky little buzz cuts. When it is long I do clip it back, and he has rocked the occasional fountain ponytail or tiny french braid. Once he can reliably agree to let me comb it (or better yet do it himself!) he will be welcome to grow it out however he wants.

Kids :rolleyes: When my son was around 10 he decided all on his own accord to grow it long and refused to cut it for a couple of years. It ended up quite long heading towards MBL..
These days at age 20 he's at the barber every 3-4 weeks getting it trimmed and shaved into a fade. My mom nags him to let it grow a little more..meanwhile back when it was long she used to nag him to get it cut!

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 01:58 PM
oh sorry Arctic...usually 4- 11 :) kindergarten to 6th grade here

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 01:59 PM
From Kindergarten to around 2nd grade it was mosly scrunchie pony tails.. From 2nd grade until around 8th grade it was worn in a baretted french twist/log roll thing my mom and I came up with. My hair was between waist and tailbone and fairytailed. Mom trimmed it once in a while, and I got mad at her for taking 4 inches of fairytales off one time. She realized why I got so mad and apologized, and never took more than an inch off again unless I explicitly told her to.
Definite no-no mom! ..glad she learned her lesson :)

lillielil
October 7th, 2015, 02:08 PM

I don't know why my mom never even tried putting me in braids. I don't remember refusing but maybe I did.
Seems such a logical hairdo to keep hair neat and out of the way. I do remember having super tangly hair...but we didnt even have conditioner..just this spray called tame...lol

We didn't have conditioner either! I had never even heard of it until my cousin was visiting and we were showering together and she asked me to pass the "cream rinse". I don't think I actually used it until high school.

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 02:14 PM
Yeah...there weren't aisles and aisles of it like there are now. I remember having Flex in grade 6 or so..but yeah regularly conditioning wasnt really a thing mostly..lol

Do you remember tame..?! On the bottle was a girl with waist length straight blonde hair..and in the commercial too. It smelled nice but kind of alcohol-y maybe. The thing was no matter even if I poured the entire bottle on my head my texture would never be as straight and silky as that little girls hair was..lol
It did work on tangles though :)

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 02:19 PM
I had long hair (waist?) in grade school that I often wore in two high ponytails that went straight out from the side of my head! I also remember pigtails with those hard plastic "bobbles" holding the ends of the braid. They were quite the playground weapon!
Those would kill when they happened to snap on your fingers! lol @ weapons..definitely they could be!

Hairkay
October 7th, 2015, 02:19 PM

LOL yes like that sometimes it would look like L s. We rarely used conditioner. There was a little vaseline or coconut oil put on the damp hair. In my teens we began to get some sort of leave in conditioner to replace the vaseline/coconut oil, we just nicknamed it grease because it was oily. Hair got rinsed and greased daily and shampooed once on Sundays.

RavenRose
October 7th, 2015, 02:21 PM
My hair was always down for the most part through elementary, could never get anything to stay in it- between APL and waist, with crookedly cut bangs, and generally *lightly* tangled.
I had a brief poodle perm in kindergarten (thank goodness that fell out within a month!). In second grade my mom cut it back to shoulder due to tangles and I was quite upset, so took better care of it from then. In Middle school I decided to get a bob, hated it, and spent many years neglecting/abusing it until it was Tailbone my senior year- which had several chops that year to end it out with a shaved "pixie".

My son has baby fine tangle trap hair like mine, and likes it long. He has grown it to his shoulder twice before- He wanted it cut back in kindergarten due to bullies, and then I cut it to his ears in third grade to deal with the dreads he had been forming due to total neglect. Now he's 11 and his hair is about collar bone. He now grudgingly combs/brushes/washes regularly, and if not I only have to threaten scissors, and he huffs and goes combs/washes it. I've been trying to convince him putting it back in low ponies and/or braid, and using the conditioner every time he washes would help with the tangles, to no avail. I hope that I am not the only mom here who kid want's long hair but not to take care of it....

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 02:29 PM

LOL yes like that sometimes it would look like L s. We rarely used conditioner. There was a little vaseline or coconut oil put on the damp hair. In my teens we began to get some sort of leave in conditioner to replace the vaseline/coconut oil, we just nicknamed it grease because it was oily. Hair got rinsed and greased daily and shampooed once on Sundays.

You had to make due. Its funny though ..looking back. I guess it just wasn't made and marketted as much. Meanwhile, now Im washing with conditioners and my bathrooms full of them!

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 02:31 PM
My hair was always down for the most part through elementary, could never get anything to stay in it- between APL and waist, with crookedly cut bangs, and generally *lightly* tangled.
I had a brief poodle perm in kindergarten (thank goodness that fell out within a month!). In second grade my mom cut it back to shoulder due to tangles and I was quite upset, so took better care of it from then. In Middle school I decided to get a bob, hated it, and spent many years neglecting/abusing it until it was Tailbone my senior year- which had several chops that year to end it out with a shaved "pixie".

My son has baby fine tangle trap hair like mine, and likes it long. He has grown it to his shoulder twice before- He wanted it cut back in kindergarten due to bullies, and then I cut it to his ears in third grade to deal with the dreads he had been forming due to total neglect. Now he's 11 and his hair is about collar bone. He now grudgingly combs/brushes/washes regularly, and if not I only have to threaten scissors, and he huffs and goes combs/washes it. I've been trying to convince him putting it back in low ponies and/or braid, and using the conditioner every time he washes would help with the tangles, to no avail. I hope that I am not the only mom here who kid want's long hair but not to take care of it....

:) lol..that's good you're trying to teach him to take good care of it..lol at the crookedly cut bang. I remember seeing alot of those :)
My son has completely different hair than mine..much hardier so it was able to withstand anything a 10 year old could throw at it. Lucky him!

lapushka
October 7th, 2015, 02:37 PM
From 5/6 to 10/11 I grew to classic. Had it cut into a pageboy hairstyle at 10/11, just as it was at 5/6. So went back to that. Regretted it the next day. But oh well, my hair was gone. I wore it in pigtails all while growing (had to be out of my face for school).

Isilme
October 7th, 2015, 02:45 PM
I wore my hair in a ponytail held with a scrunchy mostly. On occasion I'd leave it down but it was thick and heavy even back then. I had a huge scrunchy collection, some of them have survived to this day even though I don't use them anymore.

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 02:45 PM
:) Wow lapushka so this is actually your second time at classic with virgin hair..! That's awesome!

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 02:48 PM
I wore my hair in a ponytail held with a scrunchy mostly. On occasion I'd leave it down but it was thick and heavy even back then. I had a huge scrunchy collection, some of them have survived to this day even though I don't use them anymore.
Thick heavy long hair must definitely get arduous to deal with especially as a kid.
Long hair can pose a serious hazzard with some park equipment too! So that's definitely a consideration!

DeadlyUnicorn
October 7th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Ponytail just about every day until after I finished 3rd grade I got lice and they shaved my head.. Then I wore it down all the time because it couldn't be put up lol but even most of the time today I still wear it down

lapushka
October 7th, 2015, 03:03 PM
:) Wow lapushka so this is actually your second time at classic with virgin hair..! That's awesome!

Yep about 3 decades later, same hair. :lol: ;)

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 03:05 PM
haha..took a while but you got there though! That's the main thing. You could write a book on all the exploits along the way I bet. :D

Hairkay
October 7th, 2015, 03:12 PM
Thick heavy long hair must definitely get arduous to deal with especially as a kid.
Long hair can pose a serious hazzard with some park equipment too! So that's definitely a consideration!

That reminds me a niece of friend. Her hair breaks off easily so the little girl hadn't manage to maintain much length. She asked for longer hair so they gave her braid extensions. She wasn't used to dealing with long hair. We ended up having to cut her away from the swings. The hair got tangled up in the chain.

Anje
October 7th, 2015, 03:14 PM
How I wore it in kindergarten-first grade: down, pulled out of whatever my mom had put it up in, because it was pulling painfully.
(Then I went to summer camp, it was hot, and I learned to put my own hair up.)
How I wore it in the rest of elementary school: ponytail.
How I wore it in middle school: ponytail.
How I wore it in high school: ponytail.
How I wore it in college: ponytail.

Sense a pattern yet? My hair ranged from shoulder to BSL most of the time.

lapushka
October 7th, 2015, 03:16 PM
haha..took a while but you got there though! That's the main thing. You could write a book on all the exploits along the way I bet. :D

Ooooh boy, don't get me started! It took me 10 years, on this board with 2 times I had to cut back to chin due to severe damage. But I got there in the end. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 03:16 PM
Hairkay-Oh my gosh..that's scary! I could never imagine me or my friends having loose long hair..(even waistlength) the way we played and on the equipment we played on..it really wouldve resulted in some serious accidents Im sure!

HintOfMint
October 7th, 2015, 03:30 PM
Oh Jesus, I had the bob that most small brown girls are forced to have. I saw a picture of Mindy Kaling from the same age and it was a damn bowl-cut just like mine. I feel ya, homegirl.

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 03:35 PM
Ooooh boy, don't get me started! It took me 10 years, on this board with 2 times I had to cut back to chin due to severe damage. But I got there in the end. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

I really admire your dedication and persistence. You are definitely an inspiration to us all lapushka! :blossom::crush:

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 03:38 PM
How I wore it in kindergarten-first grade: down, pulled out of whatever my mom had put it up in, because it was pulling painfully.
(Then I went to summer camp, it was hot, and I learned to put my own hair up.)
How I wore it in the rest of elementary school: ponytail.
How I wore it in middle school: ponytail.
How I wore it in high school: ponytail.
How I wore it in college: ponytail.

Sense a pattern yet? My hair ranged from shoulder to BSL most of the time.

lol...yeah a wee bit of a pattern is showing :)
Do you think you didnt get past BSL because of chopping it or because of damage/breakage?

yahirwaO.o
October 7th, 2015, 03:57 PM
Well another 90's Trauma Bowl Cut here! and i was very chubby too!!!! LOL The mixture was adorable and awful at the samae time. Sometimes I remeber parting it, but most of the time was as around as a mushroom!!!! God sake :horse:

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 04:01 PM
Well another 90's Trauma Bowl Cut here! and i was very chubby too!!!! LOL The mixture was adorable and awful at the samae time. Sometimes I remeber parting it, but most of the time was as around as a mushroom!!!! God sake :horse:

heheh...aww so cute :)

Anje
October 7th, 2015, 04:19 PM
lol...yeah a wee bit of a pattern is showing :)
Do you think you didnt get past BSL because of chopping it or because of damage/breakage?

Chopping. My mom would periodically declare that it was time to cut my hair and get it whacked off.

Beborani
October 7th, 2015, 04:25 PM
The school rule all over India was two pigtails (shorter hair) or two braids as is or folded up (longer) and one braid for older kids (maybe) tied with ribbons of school uniform color--so those were my 'styles' unless it was too short to be tied up (only until second grade or so). Loose long hair was absolute no no as were ponytails. Oh I was so happy to cut my hair and wear in high ponytails when I started college--in the process destroying my hair!

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 04:26 PM
Me too...I think. That grade 4 cut in particular was actually a huge chop. Im glad I remembered it..because looking back it grew alot from grade 4 to 6...this is good news :) !

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 04:28 PM
The school rule all over India was two pigtails (shorter hair) or two braids as is or folded up (longer) and one braid for older kids (maybe) tied with ribbons of school uniform color--so those were my 'styles' unless it was too short to be tied up (only until second grade or so). Loose long hair was absolute no no as were ponytails. Oh I was so happy to cut my hair and wear in high ponytails when I started college--in the process destroying my hair!
OOps about the detroying part...Most of us have one way or another tortured our hair..lol you have to think thank goodness it's already dead..or we wouldve killed it for sure!
But keeping it fastened is definitely a good idea across the board for longer hair..I cant find any fault with that at all.

Labs*R*Us
October 7th, 2015, 04:49 PM
I used Tame and Flex, too! Do you remember Agree? I used to love the scent of that.

ETA: This was my favorite ad back then. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/46/53/01/465301518f0ff61bd210754f79b4c41a.jpg

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 04:51 PM
^yes! lol
Those were so potent fragrances werent they..not to mention Gee Your Hair Smells TErrific..
You remember the shortlived Farrah Fawcet Shampoo..?My mom refused to buy it because it was expensive and just because..lol

Labs*R*Us
October 7th, 2015, 04:55 PM
I never got that!

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 05:12 PM
You werent missing much..:) There was a really nice pic of farrah on the bottle though. Her hair was pretty awesome back in the day :)
I dont remember that ad ...Looks like the marlboro man will come galloping on by any second..eheh
Gorgeous hair though!

Thoughtcriminal
October 7th, 2015, 09:32 PM
I wore a 'fountain' nearly every day. Occasionally ponytails when it was long enough, occasionally all down. It was always a bob or slightly longer with bangs.

pailin
October 7th, 2015, 09:43 PM
Mine varied between a bob and shoulder length. Whenever it was long enough, it was in a ponytail - usually with the elastics with the little plastic bobbles.

woodswanderer
October 7th, 2015, 09:52 PM
My mom forced me to wear my hair braided every single day of elementary school because she was afraid I would catch lice and of course it would be a pain with my long hair. So picture me with bangs and one or two long braids. I hated the braids and the way she brushed it. She did at least make me hair barrettes with colorful shoelaces that were so popular back then. I wasn't willing to wear my hair braided again until my mid 20s probably.

However, I never have caught lice FWIW.

SparkleToes
October 7th, 2015, 10:43 PM
Mostly ponytails and maybe down when my hair was shorter( chin length). I think when I got a little older 10 11 12 that I started wearing it down more but ponytails have always been my go-to.

Groovy Granny
October 7th, 2015, 11:06 PM
My mother cut my hair to chin length with straight (very short) bangs.
The length was blunt cut and curled with bobby pins that gave me headaches and this weird frizzy roll :mad:

Alex Lou
October 7th, 2015, 11:19 PM
My mother had no idea what to do with thick hair. All we had were nylon bristle brushes and you couldn't get one of those through my hair at all. My hair was always down and unbrushed. When I was in 5th grade I got a shoulder-length cut and a wide tooth comb and I remember being so happy because I could get all the knots out of my hair.

If I have a daughter, I'd really like to do her hair nicely every day (provided that's what she wants too).

Labs*R*Us
October 7th, 2015, 11:35 PM
I wore Peter Pan collared shirts, to match (what I call) a Peter Pan butchered haircut. Short, short, short. Mom cut it (bad memories). Most painful of all were my bangs, which were about 1 inch from my hairline. She would pull them (what she thought should be bangs) tight and cut where she thought they wouldn't get in my eyes - as a result, I looked like a tufted chicken.

Platzhalter
October 8th, 2015, 01:29 AM
Similar to Coconut Head from Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide... glad the series didn't exist at the time :D

Changed to floppy shoulder length hair later and plain short hair after that.

Alastríona
October 8th, 2015, 02:11 AM
Mother cut my hair to a short bob before school one day. I was HORRIFIED. Allegedly about four years later I was so rude to a hairdresser she allowed me to grow it again lol
Thereafter - two ponytails. I had to have hair up for school.

PrincessBob
October 8th, 2015, 02:38 AM
My mom tried to keep it in an above-the-shoulder bob with bangs for most of my elementary years because nobody in our house knew how to deal with tangles and a tender scalp. Due to thickness it tended to splay outward in a triangle fashion from my head and it was wavy enough to never look neat, even when well styled, and super tangle prone. I have a picture to share of myself in the sixth grade with a grown out version (I declined grandma's annual summer trim that year and this was long for me at the time). Check out the chin length bangs!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/Princess_Bob/hair/Cindi6thgradecropped_zps10448ed9.jpg

Isilme
October 8th, 2015, 04:36 AM
Aw, Princess Bob, but that's adorable! :)

RainbowBowser
October 8th, 2015, 08:09 AM
The earlier grades my mom did my hair (we had a hairstyle book from the 90's to work from).
My hair went short at age 8, and from then on it was always down.
I grew out my bangs and parted them down the middle like everyone else in the 2000's.
That was horrible, never again.

Sparklecake
October 9th, 2015, 12:27 AM
My hair was always, always, always just put into an English braid. I had hip length hair and my mother didn't really know what to do with it.
I don's have children but whenever I see my niece (she's five), I always put her hip length hair back in a French braid or a high bun for her. My brother usually just leaves it down and its always in her way playing.

Estrid
October 9th, 2015, 12:43 AM
Down.
I never put it up, ever. No braids, no clips. Nothing.

Sounds terribly boring now, but I never cared much about my hair, it was just...there.

/Margo

sweetaj
October 9th, 2015, 10:41 AM
I wore mine long and loose, but with one of those plastic headbands that broke all the time. It was mid-back length.

I do my daughter's hair, but she's 3 and only sits still for something simple: a braid in the front to keep her hair out of her eyes.

vpatt
October 9th, 2015, 02:38 PM
I didn't get a haircut til I was 9 so I had ponies, pigs and braids, once in a while down. I don't remember "cream rinse" until I was older and then in high school Dippety Doo which I couldn't use because my hair wouldn't dry if I used it with curlers. By high school I was cutting my own hair most of the time. As an adult I trimmed my pixie myself lots of times. Not saying I did a great job, lol, but when I wanted it cut most of the time I didn't want to wait for an appointment.

Oh, oops I went beyond grade school.

Groovy Granny
October 9th, 2015, 03:24 PM
I didn't get a haircut til I was 9 so I had ponies, pigs and braids, once in a while down. I don't remember "cream rinse" until I was older and then in high school Dippety Doo which I couldn't use because my hair wouldn't dry if I used it with curlers. By high school I was cutting my own hair most of the time. As an adult I trimmed my pixie myself lots of times. Not saying I did a great job, lol, but when I wanted it cut most of the time I didn't want to wait for an appointment.

Oh, oops I went beyond grade school.
LOL ah the memories....DIPPETY DOO in HS :thumbsup:

Ephemia
October 9th, 2015, 03:33 PM
When I started school my hair was chin length, so I just had it loose. When it got a little longer I had it in pigtails, which I remember I loved having done because for some reason it tickled in a really nice way and made me giggle. Then at some point, I started having it in a single plait, and that was how I had my hair at school right up until I was 16.

juniperjetcat
November 3rd, 2015, 09:46 AM
My mother used to pigtail or braid my hair for me, but as soon as I started doing my own hair it was always a low ponytail or a half double ponytail.

Radioduck
November 3rd, 2015, 10:04 AM
I had a low ponytail every single day until I turned maybe 15 or so.

MsPharaohMoan
November 3rd, 2015, 09:53 PM
I had hair to my butt apparently... I remember my mother teaching me to braid my hair... I spent long stretches with my hair in a braid. Then I got a plastic elastic stuck in my hair and my mother had to resort to chopping my length! It never grew to that length again.

... That is, until now.

Sweets
November 4th, 2015, 01:24 AM
This is funny to think about, because I was a LHCer before I knew it. Fairytale ends, so long I sat on it, stretched washes, and used a BB brush. My first haircut (besides straight across bangs my mom cut once every few years) was a layered above shoulder cut in 5th grade, which I promptly grew out. Mostly I wore a ponytail, and I know it caused my hair to fall out because I always had wispies framing my face.

Ingrid
November 4th, 2015, 02:10 AM
Before the age of 7, my hair was growing with a blunt hem. Worn in a 3-strand braid or French braid (although the French one was a total killer for my scalp when my mum braided it...).

After the age of 7, all one length with a blunt hem, Classic length. Worn in a 3-strand braid, either standard or French. It was like this until I cut it to waist when I was in the last class of highschool.

Daydreamer.
January 9th, 2016, 03:20 AM
I wore ponytails exclusively.

stelz
January 9th, 2016, 03:54 AM
It was short. My mother was forever dragging me to the beauty shop with her, I hated it! Didn't really get to start growing it until jr. high.

Winterwitch
January 9th, 2016, 04:28 AM
I was forced to wear it in a ponytail everyday. My mom wouldn't let me wear it down, she was convinced it would keep me from getting headlice, but I always got them anyways.
I actually think one of the reasons my hair was so thick and silky my entire childhood was because I always had to do mayonaise/tea tree oil/coconut oil treatments on my hair to keep the headlice away. They pretty much plagued my entire childhood.

Daydreamer.
January 9th, 2016, 04:40 AM
I was forced to wear it in a ponytail everyday. My mom wouldn't let me wear it down, she was convinced it would keep me from getting headlice, but I always got them anyways. I actually think one of the reasons my hair was so thick and silky my entire childhood was because I always had to do mayonaise/tea tree oil/coconut oil treatments on my hair to keep the headlice away. They pretty much plagued my entire childhood. Hey, atleast it had some great benefits! My ponytails were tight and thinned out my thickness, unfortunately.

battles
January 9th, 2016, 08:50 AM
Longest my hair ever got was APL. It usually ranged from chin to APL in grade school, until I decided I wanted a pixie in 6th grade.

I've never actually had long hair, but still hoping to get there at some point.

Obsidian
January 9th, 2016, 09:38 AM
I don't remember my hair much from childhood. I was such a tomboy that I could have cared less. From what I remember, it was layered, around APL length & I usually wore it down. Mom did use those awful pony holds with the plastic balls to put it up sometimes but I hated it, they always were too tight.

I also remember I didn't brush my hair very well, I would use a bristle brush and just run it over the outside so my nape was always a tangled mess. Mom practically had to sit on me to brush the knots out and I fought so much, she had to be quick and of course it hurt. I think this may be one thing that turned me towards shorter hair. As soon as I was old enough, I had it cut to to just above shoulder length and thats about the longests I've been since then.

Fericera
January 9th, 2016, 11:24 AM
My mom put my hair in simple twin braids pretty much every day from toddlerhood to about 10 years old. The fun days were when I could convince my older sister to french braid it, or do an "I Dream of Jeannie" style ponytail. :)

Stray_mind
January 9th, 2016, 11:29 AM
Mostly in a ponytail, braid or loose.

lapis_lazuli
January 9th, 2016, 11:31 AM
My mom usually gave me the half-up, half-down. She didn't really know any other styles :p

sparkbunni
January 9th, 2016, 11:37 AM
I always wore my hair down, and usually fairly short. My mom asked for the Dorothy Hamill cut a few times.

LateRose
January 10th, 2016, 01:46 PM
Half up in a barrette or two braids. The braids varied a bit but since I was doing my own hair by 3rd grade, I'm sure they weren't fabulous. I still have people that remember me by my classic length hair streaming out behind me as we ran on the track during gym.

Robi-Bird
January 10th, 2016, 01:54 PM
Short. When I was very young it was in a sort of bowl cut and when I was a little older it we buzzed at the sides and less than an inch on top. Mom didn't allow long hair until we could maintain it ourselves and I didn't care to make an effort so I cut it even shorter.

turtlelover
January 10th, 2016, 01:58 PM
When I was in preschool through third grade, I had long hair that my mother kept trimmed to around APL length and that I normally wore in twin braids or pigtails, but she got disgusted with dealing with my hair around that time (it was VERY tangly) and cut it off into a pixie. Then, she permed the pixie. It was AWFUL.....REALLY awful.

Lauraes
January 10th, 2016, 03:15 PM
My hair was long and I wore it down pretty much all of the time.

Islandgrrl
January 10th, 2016, 03:48 PM
Chin or shoulder length bob. I don't think it was ever much of a big deal to me until 8th grade, when I got the dreaded "shag" cut....basically a longer and much less cute version of a pixie. The one thing that haircut totally highlighted on me was the multitude of completely uncontrollable cow licks I never knew I had. Added to the braces and my glasses, I was one very unattractive kid until that stupid haircut grew out (and I got my braces off).

beefox
January 11th, 2016, 11:26 AM
I had the longest hair of my life in elementary school. I liked it in a really high side-pony with a scrunchie.

missblueeyes
January 11th, 2016, 11:30 AM
My mom usually braided my hair before school. It must have been around BCL to TBL at that time. :)

Lamb
January 11th, 2016, 12:52 PM
It was around shoulder-length, but it turned very frizzy, unmanageable (as in, turning curly and I didn't have a clue what to do with it) when I was 9 or 10. Teachers kept teasing me about it, laughing at it, so I chopped it off to just below my ears. :(
I grew up fearing frizz but also thinking my hair was too thin and weak. Looking at photos from my teenage years, it was neither.

lunalocks
January 11th, 2016, 01:05 PM
Until 4th grade or so my mom put my hair in pin curls every night so I would have waves. Then she made 2 pony tails, one on top of the other. I have never seen anyone else do that style. Eventually it grew to waist. 5th grade Mom convinced me to cut it to shoulder. They gave me a flip with teasing and hairspray - nothing I could replicate myself, nor did I want to. I then grew it out as fast as I could.

AspenSong
January 11th, 2016, 01:57 PM
My hair grew faster I feel like because I did have longer hair off and on as a child and my mother didn't like to do it for me, so she'd take me and have it cut short. So I bounced between bobs and having it long and in a ponytail or if I could con my mother into doing it, a french braid.

RebekahE
January 11th, 2016, 02:07 PM
Double French braids and occasionally a French braid.

samanthaa
January 11th, 2016, 02:33 PM
I did a lot of half-ups when I was younger. There were also a few years that I washed and blew it dry every morning, which meant I wore it down almost every day.

sanari
January 11th, 2016, 06:39 PM
I was hardcore Pippy Longstocking.

Mirabele
January 15th, 2016, 02:27 AM
my hair was kept at around shoulder, i think. i wore pigtails, sometimes two small braids, one braid and ponytail. it was always my mother who decided my hair lengt, if i remember correctly. i was always told my hair was thin, fine and "poor" and bad for me that i didn't have curls. (it took me decades to see that my hair wasn't that bad at all). at about 10 she convinced me into pixie cut. i hated it, i always wanted long hair i guess. and i hated to show up mid in a school week with a huge change like that and draw so much attention to myself. i wasn't the type for things like that.
my daughter is 7, she is tomboyish rebelious girl. she has nice hair, about at APL now. i love her with long hair. but she refuses to take care of it and doesn't allow me to do so. she loves to wear her hair down, refuses to brush and gets lots of dust and tangles. i let her cut to about a shoulder at about that stage. i love her long hair but i feel that she doesn't want it. her personality screams for something else. I am going to give her some asymetric short cut this time.

kaeide
January 15th, 2016, 02:33 AM
Usually down and it was straight or with the waves from overnight braids. I also did lots of buns because I was in ballet for a while.
My hair was parted down the middle and between BSL and WL, but ever since I was 14 I've have bangs and parted it to the side.

hinabelle
January 15th, 2016, 08:01 AM
I wore it loose with frequent chemical straightening and heat styling. I liked wearing barettes and colorful hair accessories, too. My mom only put my hair up for nice occasions, other than that I was free to wear it down.

Jo Ann
January 15th, 2016, 11:03 AM
Pixies, grown-out pixies, APL, almost BSL, then Dear Nana "would get tired of looking at it" and back to pixies, grown-out pixies, APL, almost BSL, then Dear Nana "would get tired of looking at it" and back to pixies, grown-out pixies, APL, almost BSL (lather, rinse, repeat) :shudder: --until she talked me into getting my hair cut in a shag, just before my sophomore year in HS...I've been in control of my hair ever since... :)

TR
January 15th, 2016, 02:10 PM
Usually permed, and anywhere from pixie to BSL in length. When it was long enough to braid I'd often wear it in two French braids. Otherwise I'd do a half-up or sometimes a ponytail.

sea.chelle
January 15th, 2016, 09:00 PM
Never really very long now that i think about it (in high school i did grow it to waist length or longer). Lots of half-ups, braids, and ponytails on top of my head, always with giant bows or plastic barrettes or scrunchies. I had blunt cut bangs until about 6th grade. My hair was also insanely static-y and wispy, and never stayed in--many (if not most) pictures my hair was a complete mess!

Alun
January 16th, 2016, 03:39 AM
oh sorry Arctic...usually 4- 11 :) kindergarten to 6th grade here

I thought that's what it meant, but could never understand why? I mean all the years in American schools are grades, but why is elementary school called grade school? Mysterious.

Both our kids went to school in the US, but neither of us did. I find it super irritating when Americans refer to the ages of kids in grades instead of years, because I have to do arithmetic to figure out what they mean. Imagine how much worse that must be for anyone on LHC who doesn't even live in the US.

The way it's done in the UK has changed completely since I was a kid. It used to be the years began again in each school, but now your K-12 is our Year 1- Year 13. School in the UK always begins in what would be called Pre-K in the US, and that seems to have kept it's old name, which is Reception, as far as I can tell, although it's hard to be sure, not being there. I hope English people don't start saying Year 9 or whatever instead of using age, as I would have to add and subtract to understand them, like I already do with Americans.

Oh, and how did I have my hair in Primary School, which is my translation of the original question. The most common style in England for boys back then was called a short-back-and-sides, which meant lots of hair on top of the head, but cut short at the back and sides. The back and sides were usually trimmed with clippers, but as a kid I would never let the barber do that, even from my first trip. He then let me pick a style out of a book, and in the book the style I chose was called a 'college boy'. This still involved a short cut at the back and sides, but only with scissors, not with clippers, and with a fringe (bangs in American) straight down at the front instead of combed back or to one side, as was more common.

Oddly enough, this is a lot like the early Beatles cuts, and as I had this done from my first professional haircut, I suspect I had the style before they did! Or at least at the same time, as I was 5 when their first single broke the UK charts. They, of course, based their style on the German exis (existentials), following the suggestion of Astrid Kirchner, who was then dating Stuart, the Beatles original bass guitarist who died in Hamburg, causing Paul to take up playing bass guitar.

curlysamantha
January 16th, 2016, 07:59 AM
It was short and frizzy until grade 7 (age 13) when I started to straighten it. I pretty much straightened it (almost) every day up until the summer before grade 12 (age 17), so I wore it natural most days. It wasn't until the winter of grade 12 (now age 18 ) that I learned how to actually take care of it, my curls started to look MUCH better. Now I rarely straighten it (haven't done it since June 2015) and my hair is much healthier.