PDA

View Full Version : cutting a pixie

lillielil
October 7th, 2015, 10:00 AM
No, not on me. DW asked me to give her a big haircut. Right now her hair is around chin-length in the front and slightly below shoulders in the back. I used to cut it for her years ago, but now I'm worried I'll mess it up. Her hair is very thin, which makes it hard to find pictures that might be good inspiration. Any advice or words of encouragement?

lapushka
October 7th, 2015, 10:05 AM
Yes. Refuse to do it. :)

Anje
October 7th, 2015, 10:40 AM
I tend to agree: send her to a professional. If you screw it up, there's really not going to be much to work with to fix it. Once she's got a style and likes it, it's pretty easy to take off a set amount all over to maintain the style, if she wants you to do the trimming duties. But that first cut isn't something I'd want to attempt if I were unsure.

Arctic
October 7th, 2015, 10:42 AM
While I have cut myself pixies, and have trimmed my ex-fiance's "boy cut", I have to agree with Lapushka. If you are unsure, it's better to leave it to a professional.

ReadingRenee
October 7th, 2015, 10:52 AM
I wish I had some great tips and advice but I agree with the others. A professional is your best bet for a pixie. I looked online when I was contemplating cutting my own pixie and there was not much info out there. There is a website called how to hair girl and she has lots of DIY cut tutorials that she sells for 10 bucks. For that price I would seriously just go to even somewhere like supercuts and get someone to do it for her. But its up to you of course. Or her. :)

Belle Paix
October 7th, 2015, 11:12 AM
Use your sonic screwdriver. If that doesn't work, tell her she ought to go to a professional :)

RavenRose
October 7th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Use your sonic screwdriver. If that doesn't work, tell her she ought to go to a professional :)

If only we all had one! but does it work for hair cuts?

I had several years ago gave myself a pixie with clippers with a variety of comb lengths- but looked goofy, and ended up having a friend fix it to a short pixie...

I would go to a pro....

lillielil
October 7th, 2015, 11:29 AM
Well the sonic doesn't work on wood, so I'm not sure it will work on hair!

I know that she's very reluctant to go to a pro. Between the very thin hair (medical issue) and psoriasis, she feels very judged by hairdressers. I think once or twice they have made very unkind comments, and I can understand wanting to avoid that. When I cut her hair before it was a slower progression from long-ish to very short, not one big chop. That made it a lot less scary.

Christine_O
October 7th, 2015, 11:29 AM
Offer to pay for a professional cut, and promise to do maintenance. Boy cuts and bobs are easy, pixies are hard to get right. I've done it for other people, but I've screwed it up more often than gotten it right.

lapushka
October 7th, 2015, 12:37 PM
Maybe suggest a "longish" bob? That is a pretty easy and straight cut, and when it falls to the shoulder it's the easiest to cut straight. I wouldn't go beyond that, though. A pixie is very easy to mess up and then what? She'll have thin hair *and* a botched cut and won't even be able to face people. Better face the judgment of hairdressers just once IMMHO, than deal with that!

Nique1202
October 7th, 2015, 12:55 PM
Offer to pay for a professional cut, and promise to do maintenance. Boy cuts and bobs are easy, pixies are hard to get right. I've done it for other people, but I've screwed it up more often than gotten it right.

I second this. It's easy to snip a half inch off every hair after it's got a style in it, but it's much harder to style it yourself with the scissors unless you're a trained professional.

lillielil
October 7th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Thank you all. She asked for "whatever, but short", so I think I will just cut a bob with some layers in the back. That's short according to my standards. If she wants it shorter, I'll direct her to a pro.