PDA

View Full Version : Braiding Curly/Wavy Grippy Hair

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 07:56 AM
Hey Everyone,

I feel like I have the opposite to slippy hair..shall we say Grippy lol :)

I've been trying out some braiding mostly french, english, and dutch. I find it difficult and finicky because the curly/wavier ends want to tangle. I always get several hairs that come out too even when I'm being extra careful and methodical. Is that normal?

Does anyone else have problems with braiding their curlier hair? Does it get easier or harder with more length?
Any tips to share that might make it a less daunting task...?

Thanks a bunch for sharing! :bloom:
Dollydagger :sun:

CoveredByLove
October 7th, 2015, 08:00 AM
I have trouble separating my hair when french braiding and stuff if I don't leave enough conditioner in my hair and are using too much gel/mousse/etc. Try leaving in a good bit of conditioner, let your hair air dry, then braid. :) Also, modified cones in the conditioner I leave in helps A LOT. ;)

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 08:05 AM
Thanks CoveredByLove -So you braid when completely dry then.? Hmm..good idea- maybe using my silicone-based oil and purposely making hair a bit slick (it's quite heavy) might make it easier..

Do you happen to remember when you were at shorter lengths was it easier or more difficult?

spidermom
October 7th, 2015, 08:40 AM
You just have to develop the habit of running your hand down the length to keep the strands separate as you transfer from hand to hand. I find curly hair the easiest to braid. Straight hair is the hardest.

kitschy
October 7th, 2015, 08:54 AM
I don't have trouble with a regular braid, but French braiding drives me crazy!

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 08:55 AM
Thanks! spidermom :) This is for sure what I'm not doing enough of! Do you also braid on completely dry hair?

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 08:57 AM
lol kitchy...I know what you mean. English is easy peasy..but french or dutch is a whole other animal :) Spidermom's suggestion sounds good. Actually I was watching torrinpaige and she always runs hands through each and everytime I think.
My hairs not only curly but also fine so its double trouble I feel.

Easiest for me so far is when it's on the slicker side (due to oiling mostly) and farthest away from last wash.

Arctic
October 7th, 2015, 09:12 AM
No sure if I qualify to answer lol. My hair is only slightly wavy these days, but it was about 2b few years ago. Also my hair is a weird mixture of slippery and grippy, but as someone who used to have straight, fine and very slippery hair, my current slipperiness is nothing to compare to that, so I consider my hair pretty medium in this regard. Some days it's more grippy and some days more slippery, much depends what products I've used, when I have last clarified, have I used styling products, how I have dried my hair, etc.

Anyway, I used to break lot of hair when I braided, but have learnt myself a new way of braiding, and these days I can say with confidence that I never break hairs with familiar braids. When practicing a new braid there might be some casualties for a while, before I learn the pattern and hand movements properly.

I pretty much slowed down and do what spidermom above says: seperate the sections after (almost) each pass, or as needed. (Also Madora has always highlighted this same thing: to rake through the hair after each pass, to keep sections seperated and strands alligned).

My hair is wavy enough that individual hairs want to wrap themselves around my fingers, and I have enough fine hairs that they want to start forming a web when I braid. I have recognized these two issues the main culprit for hair breakage when braiding for me. I take my time, am aware if I feel any webs or hairs wrapped around my fingers, and as soon as I notice either, I stop and take care of them before continuing braiding.

It took a lot of conscious effort to unlearn old braiding habits and relearn a new, more gentle style. My braiding speed plummeted at first, and while I have gotten better it's still not as fast as it was before. But I rather let it take a bit more time than break hairs.

So my personal experience is, that one can learn a better braiding methods, but it takes some analyzing and long time of conscious effort and patience to unlearn old habits, but it is possible, and very much worth it.

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 09:18 AM
It took a lot of conscious effort to unlearn old braiding habits and relearn a new, more gentle style. My braiding speed plummeted at first, and while I have gotten better it's still not as fast as it was before. But I rather let it take a bit more time than break hairs.

Thanks Arctic..! Excellent point right there. I must do same and unlearn. By the way your braiding skills are amazing.. so you've come along way! :) I do think that the fineness of hair adds to the difficulty for sure.

Arctic
October 7th, 2015, 09:34 AM
Aww thank you :D I still have many braids to conquer, but I find the process really relaxing!

BTW I had 2 longhair friends visiting me this summer, who allowed me to braid their hair, and both had different hairtype than me, and I didn't break any hairs from them either, so I think my method suits many different hair types.

And another BTW, these braiding methods are, I believe easier to learn on shorter lengths, so your are in excellent position right now!

spidermom
October 7th, 2015, 09:39 AM
I braid dry, damp, or soaking wet; it doesn't matter.

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 09:39 AM
I would confidently entrust my hair into your hands Arctic :)
I should definitely do my practicing now then!!

Arctic
October 7th, 2015, 09:41 AM

Same here. The important thing is to detangle first.

Arctic
October 7th, 2015, 09:41 AM
I would confidently entrust my hair into your hands Arctic :)

Thank you, that's a big compliment from an LHCer!

hennalonghair
October 7th, 2015, 09:45 AM
No sure if I qualify to answer lol. My hair is only slightly wavy these days, but it was about 2b few years ago. Also my hair is a weird mixture of slippery and grippy, but as someone who used to have straight, fine and very slippery hair, my current slipperiness is nothing to compare to that, so I consider my hair pretty medium in this regard. Some days it's more grippy and some days more slippery, much depends what products I've used, when I have last clarified, have I used styling products, how I have dried my hair, etc.

Anyway, I used to break lot of hair when I braided, but have learnt myself a new way of braiding, and these days I can say with confidence that I never break hairs with familiar braids. When practicing a new braid there might be some casualties for a while, before I learn the pattern and hand movements properly.

I pretty much slowed down and do what spidermom above says: seperate the sections after (almost) each pass, or as needed. (Also Madora has always highlighted this same thing: to rake through the hair after each pass, to keep sections seperated and strands alligned).

My hair is wavy enough that individual hairs want to wrap themselves around my fingers, and I have enough fine hairs that they want to start forming a web when I braid. I have recognized these two issues the main culprit for hair breakage when braiding for me. I take my time, am aware if I feel any webs or hairs wrapped around my fingers, and as soon as I notice either, I stop and take care of them before continuing braiding.

So my personal experience is, that one can learn a better braiding methods, but it takes some analyzing and long time of conscious effort and patience to unlearn old habits, but it is possible, and very much worth it.

Great post and helpful answers here. YES I have a very difficult time braiding and the longer and curlier the hair the harder it is. Many people comb out their hair while it's wet and conditioned and braid.
Keeping hands moistened really helps me. I add a pea sized dollop of Shea butter or favourite leave in and rub it in your hands. Go over your hair slightly raking your fingers through until you have some slip.
After every section added with French braids etc. comb out of run your moist hands over the hair. Wet hand occasionally if hair is dry to prevent friction , static and tangles. This helps a lot in keeping extra strand smooth.

I hope it helps.

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 09:52 AM

Same here. The important thing is to detangle first.

okay cool ...I'll try each with the new extra detangling efforts..:)

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 09:53 AM
hennalonghair said-Great post and helpful answers here. YES I have a very difficult time braiding and the longer and curlier the hair the harder it is. Many people comb out their hair while it's wet and conditioned and braid.
Keeping hands moistened really helps me. I add a pea sized dollop of Shea butter or favourite leave in and rub it in your hands. Go over your hair slightly raking your fingers through until you have some slip.
After every section added with French braids etc. comb out of run your moist hangs over the hair. Wet hand occasionally I'd hair is dry to prevent friction , static and tangles. This helps a lot in keeping extra strand smooth.

I hope it helps.
Thanks HLH..definitely helpful :) !

Hairkay
October 7th, 2015, 10:58 AM
I keep mine plaited/braided 99% of the time. Yes you do have to keep sliding your fingers down each section to the ends to keep it separate. I'm also considering to put little ties on each section end when my hair gets longer just to make things easier.When I get to the end I can remove the ties and finish the plait/braid off. That'll work on plaits but not French braids or cornrows or any braid that requires picking up more hair as you go along.

Oh I do my hair wet or dry. I've also done hair types 1-4c as well.

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 11:15 AM
Thank you Hairkay :)
Practicing a little will probably help me. I've never worn braids ever; even as a child.
They are definitely comfy styles. I'm looking forward to wearing them more :)

hennalonghair
October 7th, 2015, 11:30 AM
Thank you Hairkay :)
Practicing a little will probably help me. I've never worn braids ever; even as a child.
They are definitely comfy styles. I'm looking forward to wearing them more :)
What.??? You've never worn braids?
Braiding is almost my go to style. It does take practice but it's great for keeping curly wavy hair in tact. Odd pieces that find their way out often end up curling , leaving a soft romantic look. Plus braids are great for making more compact buns for those with thick hair. Two strand braids starting at the sides at once they both reach the back you twist them together and bun it all really helps even out the weight of the hair AND offers some pressure from having the centre back bun. With thick heavy hair it sometimes gets difficult finding styles where the centre of the bun isn't in the same place because this in itself can cause scalp soreness . You've got thick curly/wavy hair DD so might have this same issue .

Christine_O
October 7th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Hi! Just stopped by to see how the other half lives. I have ice-on-water slick hair.

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 11:56 AM
haha...want to trade for a day :) I pop into the fine and sleek thread too.

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 12:06 PM
What.??? You've never worn braids?
Braiding is almost my go to style. It does take practice but it's great for keeping curly wavy hair in tact. Odd pieces that find their way out often end up curling , leaving a soft romantic look. Plus braids are great for making more compact buns for those with thick hair. Two strand braids starting at the sides at once they both reach the back you twist them together and bun it all really helps even out the weight of the hair AND offers some pressure from having the centre back bun. With thick heavy hair it sometimes gets difficult finding styles where the centre of the bun isn't in the same place because this in itself can cause scalp soreness . You've got thick curly/wavy hair DD so might have this same issue .

No not ever. I have maybe one or two pics from childhood where I'm in braids. Never wore them to school; not once. I dont know why...lol
I will definitely now though;especially as it gets longer. I really like the look and all the different styles! My hair is fine though so it probably won't be feeling heavy anytime soon :) I need bigger buns on my head n smaller on my toosh...lol
but yes 2 strand twists aka rope braids? theyre great and relatively easier too right..:) good option!

Christine_O
October 7th, 2015, 12:26 PM
haha...want to trade for a day :) I pop into the fine and sleek thread too.

I don't think I'd like it. I don't think you'd like it either. "Better the devil you know", you know?;)

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 12:28 PM
This is true ^ lol

Your avatar shows a wave..was it from being up?

Christine_O
October 7th, 2015, 12:37 PM
This is true ^ lol

Your avatar shows a wave..was it from being up?

Nope, that's natural. When I go out in the rain I end up with ringlets. It's not stick straight, but it is stubborn as all heck. There is nothing I can do to make it go where I want it to, and when I try it punishes me.

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 12:40 PM
Maybe it'll get easier to tame as it grows. It's a lovely colour and texture :)

Christine_O
October 7th, 2015, 02:45 PM
Sorry. Didn't mean to hijack the thread. :whistle:

meteor
October 7th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Great thread! :thumbsup:

I find, it's really critical for me to have well moisturized hair and hands when I'm braiding. I like both silicones and oils for this. If my hair is dry-ish, snappy, I don't even try to do anything complicated.

On the question of length: yes, the longer it gets, the harder and longer it gets to braid, technically, but hopefully, the skills gained can offset that. So I highly recommend learning *now* all the braids that you'll want to do at your goal length, especially things with complex, along-the-scalp sectioning: crown braids, lace/French/dutch/waterfall/etc... As your hair grows longer and more challenging to keep tangle-free and all sections separate, you'll already be skilled. ;) I missed that boat on fancy braids, unfortunately, and now my hair is too long for me to practice on from scratch.

I wear my hair braided (and then bunned) 99% of the time, and I think braids are perfect for weight distribution and keeping multi-textured dense hair tangle-free, but it's only simple English braids or rope (2-strand) braids or something built on that... I can't do braids that involve sectioning along the scalp or I will get too many tangles and breakage and just give up.
So if I want to do a French braid, I cheat ;) and use a faux-French technique (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kOyGD_KOoA) instead. And if I want to do a Dutch braid, I do a "Luana" braid (https://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/10/20/luana-braids/) (small English into bigger English) - this is the base for Amish braided bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1ms8ODU42k) or the Ellingwoman Bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kYNoF2H4kw) or Woven Crown (https://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/10/23/luana-braids-woven-crown-variation/).

Also, there are other tricks to make even the simplest English braid a bit more interesting :) , like:
- using some accent braids/twists and weaving them into your main braid, or doing 3 English braids and then English-braiding them together, or
- doing a hawser braid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y3LvWpncQQ) (2 rope braids rope-braided into something looking like a chain), or
- doing multi-strand (7, 11, etc) braids by weaving one strand like a lace between simple braids or just bobby-pinning them together (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmmGQmBVjNg),
- loony braids (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk1qjTzh8H4): English-braiding with 1 thick strand and 2 thin strands,
- adding ribbons, etc.

Also, I recommend checking out this "braid-tionary" by ladollyvita333 ;):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2ifoTyHoA4

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 04:47 PM
Thanks so much meteor for all the invaluable links and info! :flowers:Now I have no excuse ..and will get to practicing ! The sooner the better :) ! You missed that boat on those crown-sectioned braids ..but no matter! You're on a luxury cruise sailin onto knee length instead; sporting what I'm sure are the most spectacular braided updos ever!

meteor
October 7th, 2015, 05:13 PM
^ Thanks a lot, DollyDagger! :flowers: You are so kind! :love:

I hope braiding and new techniques will work for you! ;) I should have mentioned that the great advantage of more textured, "grippy" hair is that the braids actually hold very well, and for a long time (smaller braids can last for a few days!). And if you want to preserve a braided style longer, you can wrap it in a silk scarf overnight or use a "wave cap". ;)

Best of luck! :D And Happy Braiding! :cheer:

Hairkay
October 7th, 2015, 06:06 PM
Meteor, I can do 4 of those braids. I found out about the fish tail braid when I was 9. A girl came to school with it. I described it to my mother who then taught me how to do it. the nearest I've seen to my hair type in this would be this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOazd0uBE5M

Here's a good tutorial on 3 strand twists.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOazd0uBE5M

Quixii
October 7th, 2015, 06:23 PM
Oh gosh, I don't even try to French braid my hair when it's dry. Between the back braiding because of the length and the grippy curls not wanting to separate, it's just horribly frustrating. If I'm going to attempt it, I do it on fresh out of the shower, dripping wet hair with left in conditioner.
French braiding straight hair is so nice! I feel like I could do twenty such braids on my sister before I finished one on myself.

I'll read back though this thread to see if there're some better suggestions.

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 06:25 PM
I've watched napturals85 shes awesome. What a pretty look ..I really love how she styled it by pinning those loose sections back in!

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 06:28 PM
Thanks Quixi-Your hair is F and M...its so gorgeous by the way! I can see the length, curls, and fine strands making it a little trickier for sure!

Groovy Granny
October 7th, 2015, 11:42 PM
I wear my hair braided (and then bunned) 99% of the time, and I think braids are perfect for weight distribution and keeping multi-textured dense hair tangle-free, but it's only simple English braids or rope (2-strand) braids or something built on that... I can't do braids that involve sectioning along the scalp or I will get too many tangles and breakage and just give up.
So if I want to do a French braid, I cheat ;) and use a faux-French technique (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kOyGD_KOoA) instead.
Now that I am at WL I am having a hard time with tangling as I french braid; my silver hair is just too fine.

Your FAX FRENCH link is great ~ thank you :thumbsup: