PDA

View Full Version : sleeping with hair in a ponytail damage?

LeMimi13
October 6th, 2015, 03:29 PM
Hi!
Off-topic here: where can I ask you guys for some help with figuring out my hair type with pictures? I want to ask a few questions about what layers would do to my hair.

So, my hair , for some reason, looks way better the next day if I sleep with it in a lose, high ponytail with my ends laying above my pillow than in a bun. With buns, the bottom 2 inches tangle and look frizzy. I also lose all my pretty waves/curls with the buns and braids.. Unless its a heatless curl method (flexi rods are the best, but the headaches! I only do those for special ocasions like once a month or something and a frnch braid when I want really big waves).
Is this damaging? How can I prevent damage from this? I actually get less knots thisway, but I fear the rubbing is worse..

Alien Girl
October 6th, 2015, 03:58 PM
Flexi rods are very uncomfy :( I kno the feel.

I think if you use a silky sort of scrunchie (I have a silky scrunchy that's a bit worn out, but it's perfect since it wont tug my hair) it shouldn't be much of an issue? I'm assuming you want to just have it held, not really TIED. Maybe even a long silk fabric just tied into a loose ribbon?

You can ask about hair types in this forum I think :P

LeMimi13
October 6th, 2015, 04:01 PM
Flexi rods are very uncomfy :( I kno the feel.

I think if you use a silky sort of scrunchie (I have a silky scrunchy that's a bit worn out, but it's perfect since it wont tug my hair) it shouldn't be much of an issue? I'm assuming you want to just have it held, not really TIED. Maybe even a long silk fabric just tied into a loose ribbon?

You can ask about hair types in this forum I think :P

okay, thank you! I just fear for all the rubbing in my pillow. I tie it very losely, Idont even go around it twice, I just sort of place the scrunchie and then i tighten the scrunchie itself with a clear elastic to make it slightly tighter :)

lapushka
October 6th, 2015, 04:02 PM
If you are using a soft elastic (like a scrunchie), a ponytail is fine, if not tied tightly!

Sarahlabyrinth
October 6th, 2015, 04:14 PM
If you are worried about rubbing you could also invest in a silk/satin pillowcase.

Anje
October 6th, 2015, 08:35 PM
I think the high ponytail ("pineappling" the hair) is pretty popular for wavies and curlies, at least while their hair is still at a length where this is manageable. Now I've gotten damage from wearing ponytails too much in general, but it was snug ponytails with elastics, which I "tightened" when they got loose. Doing a loose pony with something super gentle like a scrunchy shouldn't be too bad, but never ever tighten it by grabbing sections and pulling them forward.

Satin pillowcases are definitely a good plan for reducing damage and frizz. Silk satin is typically preferred; I've tried polyester satin and hated it against my skin.

yahirwaO.o
October 6th, 2015, 11:00 PM
Yep my hair was in a pony everynight for the longest time before I learned proper braiding or bunning with a thick soft scrunchie and worked just fine on me!!!!

Alma Petra
October 7th, 2015, 05:31 AM
Anje, what sort of damage did you get with ponytails? And how did it resolve?

Anje
October 7th, 2015, 07:38 AM
Anje, what sort of damage did you get with ponytails? And how did it resolve?

Lots of breakage around my face, which would have corresponded to where the elastic touched. I also had a big broken chunk on top that would have corresponded to the hair that supported the ponytail the most.

To resolve it, I made the radical decision that I wasn't going to ponytail anymore, nor wear styles that started with a secured ponytail as the base. I switched to French braids and hairstick buns mostly in the beginning, and shortly after found LHC.

Mind you I was literally wearing a ponytail in the same spot, every day.

meteor
October 7th, 2015, 03:51 PM
If you want specifically a ponytail, I think using a satin ribbon or a narrow silk scarf to wrap around and tie the ponytail off could be helpful. Of course, it won't be really tight, but you probably don't need a secure ponytail for sleeping anyway.
Silk scrunchies might work, as well, but I've read some reports on damage even from scrunchies, unfortunately. A lot depends on how fine/fragile the hair is, I guess.

I'd also suggest sleeping on silk/satin pillowcase or covering hair with a silky scarf/sleep cap.
Alternatively, you could line the groove between your pillow and the bed headboard with silky scarf and place your ponytail there to keep it from tangling/frizzing up.

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 09:25 PM
^A satin lined sleeping grove..:) sounds so comfy :yawn::cloud9:
I've been using a cut up silk pantyhose as a tie for a pony- kind of pineappled(it slips downwards though)....with a sleep cap and satin pillow.. I hope it's not damaging. Sometimes I wonder if Im better off with it loose. Sometimes the cap slips off..sometimes the pony..lol I move around alot. Restless brain and body.

LeMimi13
October 8th, 2015, 04:22 PM
my mom doesnt want me to buy one of those:(

Lisa Long4Life
October 9th, 2015, 11:35 AM
I ponytail my hair for bed and I have quite a lot of shorter hairs around my face. I have started using hairsticks instead for the day but need a comfortable sleeping style. I move around a lot in my sleep

meteor
October 9th, 2015, 11:43 AM
^A satin lined sleeping grove..:) sounds so comfy :yawn::cloud9:
I've been using a cut up silk pantyhose as a tie for a pony- kind of pineappled(it slips downwards though)....with a sleep cap and satin pillow.. I hope it's not damaging. Sometimes I wonder if Im better off with it loose. Sometimes the cap slips off..sometimes the pony..lol I move around alot. Restless brain and body.

Oh yes :agree:, silk pantyhose circles are very soft ponytail holders! :thumbsup: I think that's as gentle as ponytail holders get.

I get the least damage, frizz and tangling from sleeping with an unsecured (no ties, no clips) braided bun or with an unsecured braid coiled up and placed above my pillow, but anything that feels comfortable and sort of contains the length is a good option. :)

McQuarry
October 9th, 2015, 11:45 AM
A very loose french braid works well for me. It keeps the hair off my face, stops the tangles from getting ridiculous, and I don't feel any pressure anywhere on my scalp. I usually tie off the end with a hairtie because I'm extremely restless (I've been known to fall asleep with my head on the pillow and wake up the other way around with one leg resting on the wall) but I could get away with not tying it at all if I wanted to. If I'm particularly worried about the ends, I tuck the tail up under the braid which goes down the scalp, but I'm getting to the point where I actually have too much hair to do that and still be comfortable.

I say all this, but I must confess - and indeed, stress - that I have no idea how damaging or not-damaging this is. But it works for me and I don't have any face-breakage!