PDA

View Full Version : Crunchy ends?

scrivener827
October 6th, 2015, 07:27 AM
Hey, all! I'm hoping some of you knowledgeable LHCers might be able to help me out. My ends (like the last 2 inches maybe) have been getting really sad and crunchy lately on any day I don't wash my hair. Basically, on wash day they seem moisturized and happy, but the next day they are kinky and velcro-y and sad. No leave-in or oil I have tried fixes the problem. I don't want to wash more often (currently at about 2 times per week), but I don't know what to do with it.

A little background--I previously chemically died my hair, but have now been using only henna for a few months. I used to blow dry and straighten a couple of times a week, which I now do rarely if ever. So the ends have probably sustained some damage. I just can't figure out why washing helps. Do I need to clarify/chelate more? Should I try CO washing? Is there a leave-in option I might not have thought of? Or is this just damage that I really need to cut off?

Thanks in advance!!

EmiliaF
October 6th, 2015, 07:39 AM
How do you wear your hair during the day? Are the ends 'left out' of some hairstyle, like in the tassel of a braid? I am asking because depending on the hairstyle, moisturizing products can be stripped off by clothing etc. You want to make sure it really stays where you want it.
For my ends it works best to lightly oil them and then store them somewhere safe, in a tucked braid or a bun. When I take my hair down in the evening, my ends are less crunchy and very moisturized.

Nique1202
October 6th, 2015, 07:41 AM
How long has it been since you last clarified? Try that first, or if you already have, do a double full-length wash with your clarifying shampoo.

I think crunchy usually means too much protein,so have a look at your shampoo, conditioner, anything that goes on your hair and look for stuff like corn silk, collagen, keratin, and basically anything that looks like the first list here (http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/01/proteins-humectants-and-conesoh-my.html) in the ingredients. Henna can also cause protein problems, especially if you're using henna AND hair products with protein in them. You might be able to get away with clarifying more often, if it took a while for this problem to start, but it's good to be aware of what's going onto your hair either way.

Horrorpops
October 6th, 2015, 07:43 AM
I had ends like this, colour treated and crunchy and dry post wash-day.
A clarifying and chelating combo shampoo followed by an SMT helped soooooooo much!! I do live in an area with hard water though but it is something to consider :) Particularly because colour treating can make hair more porous and prone to buildup and mineral depositing.

Izzie
October 6th, 2015, 11:19 AM
I also have that problem :/ Well, I haven't trimmed my ends since last year, but they are not damaged, they are just VERY dry.

RavenRose
October 6th, 2015, 11:25 AM
I am going through something similar since the weather changed to cool dry fall, instead of humid Summer. My ends have quite a bit of damage, and so are very porous, and lose moisture quickly. I have to clarify more often because build up affects it more in dry weather. On a typical washday I wash my scalp only, condition below the ears with a heavier conditioner, use a water downed condish as a leave in on the ends, and use coconut oil on towel damp hair, and damp bun to keep moisture in.

On day two/three I seem to have some luck misting my hair with water until quite damp, recoating with coconut oil, and buning the ends up. It doesn't seem to work If I have used anything with cones.

Anje
October 6th, 2015, 12:45 PM
Definitely clarify them if you haven't lately. Make sure that when you clarify, you shampoo all the way down the length of your hair, since that's what gets the buildup. Then do a nice moisturizing treatment -- soak them in some warm conditioner or SMT mix for a bit longer than you would just leave conditioner in for a shower. That usually helps a lot, IMO.

Take a look at the ingredients you're using on them, while you're at it. The "OK one day one, super-crispy on day two" thing is reminiscent of how my hair behaves when I've tried heavy silicone products like serums (I think it's a volatile silicone thing in my case -- cyclomethicone and cyclopentasiloxane kept showing up). Not many people seem to have that particular issue, but I'm throwing it out there as a potential culprit.

Cassilicious
October 7th, 2015, 05:38 PM
I've had the same problem and it looks like I've solved it a few days ago! I clarified with the Joico K-Pak Clarifying Shampoo twice, then did a ACV rinse, Slopped conditioner on my hair and let it sit for a few hours, rinsed out, put a little argan oil on the ends, ends are much better!!!!