PDA

View Full Version : Anticlimatic 2 Year Anniversary

Ashflower89
October 5th, 2015, 06:30 PM
So October is my 2 year mark on LHC. But sadly, this isn't gong to be a happy inspirational post... because I've been stuck on a pixie-collarbone-pixie hamster wheel the whole time. Ever since my first pixie in 2009, I haven't been able to get past collarbone length because boredom always convinces me that a drastic cut is just what I need and I totally abandon my long term goals.... and then painfully regret it 2 months later. After the first one, I got a second pixie in 2011 to cut off bleach damage, a third in 2013 just for fun, and the fourth and hopefully last January this year. Here's some pictures for a timeline of my 2 years on LHC.

The longest my hair has ever been was BSL when I was 12 and paid no attention to it, and after a dye accident it was cut back to collarbone. I haven't passed collarbone since then (14 years ago). I guess my final goal is BSL mostly because I haven't seen it in so long, but I might go for waist if I ever hit that point. However, none of that matters if I can't get out of this pixie rut. So my short-term goal is armpit, the next milestone after the dreaded collarbone that I can't seem to get past. I say solid because growing out pixies has involved a lot of really stupid jagged layers that I can't stand. It's like the entire top layer of my hair is a mass of fly-aways, and it makes my entire head hard to manage. I honestly don't think continuing to grow is going to make it any less obnoxious or make my hair any thicker(its pretty flat and thin), so as soon as we're out of single digit temperatures next spring I plan to cut it all one length (hopefully its near jaw by that point) and start growing in earnest.

Soo yeah... happy anniversary to me I guess =p. If nothing else, I can maybe celebrate finally learning my lesson about getting drastic haircuts out of boredom and restlessness. Shoulder is 16" on me and I'm hoping to hit it by the end of this year.

Horrorpops
October 5th, 2015, 07:33 PM
Awww Ashflower89 I know the feeling - I was stuck on a similar cycle except it was bleach damage and boredom induced! :P

However your hair looks super healthy and it seems like it grows pretty quick :) I always struggled getting my hair past my shoulders as that was the length that I felt most bleh with it and didn't find it flattering on me - and the easiest solution was always to cut it off lol!!

At some stage I just got sick of cutting my hair, grit my teeth and waited out the boredom (it sounds like that might be where you are now!) Wearing it in buns and cute styles with different head bands and clips and things really helped me out in this stage. If I could put it up and make it look ok it was very out of sight out of mind for me.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it's all a journey :)

ReadingRenee
October 5th, 2015, 08:46 PM
I totally understand that cycle! That is always when I would cut too. I think for some people after shoulder before APL or BSL is the hardest length. At least it is for me. If you can just promise yourself to fight through the shoulder to APL blahs you will have so much more styling options. If you like pixies, I imagine you would like your hair pulled up. When you are growing it out do you pull it back when you can?

Also, I have been here for 10 years and due to my major cuts over that time, I am still working to get to APL, so believe me I understand. I did make it to waist and then cut after baby was born and I made it to BSL and cut because I was bored and not on LHC at all. This time that isn't going to happen. you can do it! :)

Sarahlabyrinth
October 5th, 2015, 08:50 PM
wow, your hair is so pretty and healthy. I'm sure you could do half ups and very close to doing cute pony tails too. With lots of fun pretty hair clips. I think that's what I would be doing with hair at your length. Also remembering that you are not going to get long hair if you keep chopping it off.

LemonFizzy
October 5th, 2015, 09:39 PM
Hey, at least you know you can rock the pixie, right? The short styles looked great on you, the color, too!

I think you are past the roughest part, the back doesn't look mullety.

You say your hair is flat and thin. Um, yeah, just like your look-alike avatar in real life, Cate Blanchett. Her photo images on Google show that she has fine hair without a lot of volume, and she has great styles even when growing out layers between jobs that work with what her hair actually wants to do. Flat and thin, pshaw! How about delicate, ethereal, and fairy-like? Can you imagine going up to Cate and saying, "Hey, stunning beauty, you're great and all that, but you need to do something with your hair, it's so thin."

Maybe just growing it out isn't enough fun? If it were me, I'd be trying to figure out how to get waves so I could duplicate a bob version of that Galadriel hairstyle with a few really cute clips. Whatever you decide to do with your hair next, have fun!!

AZDesertRose
October 5th, 2015, 10:21 PM
Hey, you are adorable at any hair length. :D

Somebody around here has in their signature the line, "It's a long journey but quitting won't make it any shorter." Or something to that general effect. Maybe that would be good to remember during the times when you're tempted to cut?

lapushka
October 6th, 2015, 09:18 AM
Once you determine for yourself it's time, then you'll grow on. It just means you aren't ready yet, and that's perfectly okay. Maybe you'll never get there. Remains to be seen. Anyway, you're just as welcome to this site as far as I'm concerned. I had to cut back to chin twice due to damage, so I know what it's like to feel like you'll never get past a certain point... but you'll get there!

georgia_peach
October 6th, 2015, 09:41 AM
I agree with Lapushka. You will grow when you are ready. And that's perfectly okay. I'm 48 and wasn't ready to grow until two years ago. Feel free to have a look at my picture albums. They document my starting point which was pretty close to where you are now. And I hope you'll stick around the forums. I've always enjoyed being here even when I was sporting a pixie. Folks are very kind and supportive. :)
Starting in 2014: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11625 And now I'm about here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12144

lapushka
October 6th, 2015, 10:47 AM
I agree with Lapushka. You will grow when you are ready. And that's perfectly okay. I'm 48 and wasn't ready to grow until two years ago. Feel free to have a look at my picture albums. They document my starting point which was pretty close to where you are now. And I hope you'll stick around the forums. I've always enjoyed being here even when I was sporting a pixie. Folks are very kind and supportive. :)
Starting in 2014: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11625 And now I'm about here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12144

That's pretty nice progress! :D

georgia_peach
October 6th, 2015, 02:36 PM
Thanks, Lapushka! :) I also meant to add that joining the yearly No-Trim threads you've started has been a big help, too.

Ashflower89
October 6th, 2015, 03:52 PM
Horrorpops, the first pixie was just for fun but yeah, the second was to cut off some pretty awful bleach damage as well. Thank you =) I guess it does look in pretty good shape considering all the wind damage from it not staying back at work while I have fans blowing on me. You're right, shoulder is just so blah and boring, and it's been so long since I've been anywhere past it that it's easy to forget that it does get better.

ReadingRenee, you're definitely right, I've forgotten all about the styling options after getting past that rut. To be honest, my mom never did much with my hair growing up, and I never learned any more than variations of ponytails and simple braids. I've never done a bun or fishtail braid in my life! I only pull it back when its warm enough, because I'm a wuss about the cold and my hair is sort of a comfort scarf. Or if I do pull it up, I leave some side pieces hanging down to still feel the length of it. Most of the reason I still straighten is to squeeze out the last bit of length from my curls.

Sarahlabyrinth, thank you =). I do love the basic half-up ponytail with braids on each side, it's so lord of the rings =p.

LemonFizzy, knowing that a pixie looks good on you definitely reduces the anxiety when something bad happens like a hair loss accident or dye mishap and it needs to be cut. And you're right, I'm definitely past the worst of it, the front and sides of the under-layer are all blunt across. And yeah, you're right, Cate's hair is pretty thin as well. I'm kind of obsessed with Galadriel and stuck her as my avatar because she's sort of my fantasy hair idol.

AZDesertRose, thanks =). Yeah, that's definitely a good motto to stick to when you're feeling bored about your length and thinking drastically.

lapushka, yeah maybe you're right. Usually just before each pixie cut is when I've felt like I wasn't ready for long hair. But two months after, I regret it big time and stare at old pictures thinking "imagine how long it would be if I had never cut it last time" and get real mopey. I do plan on sticking around the forums, mainly because seeing everyone elses progress is so inspiring, as well as hearing about new products. I can't see you're albums, maybe they're private or something.

georgia_peach, joining certain threads does help a lot. I love the feel of freshly cut ends too much to swear off trimming, but trimming isn't usually what sets me back anyways. I'm part of the "2015 Monthly Length Photo" thread and the "Growing Chin to Shoulder" thread right now, and I look forward to adding my progress pics to each =)

lapushka
October 6th, 2015, 04:21 PM
Thanks, Lapushka! :) I also meant to add that joining the yearly No-Trim threads you've started has been a big help, too.

I'm glad to hear that! :D

lapushka, yeah maybe you're right. Usually just before each pixie cut is when I've felt like I wasn't ready for long hair. But two months after, I regret it big time and stare at old pictures thinking "imagine how long it would be if I had never cut it last time" and get real mopey. I do plan on sticking around the forums, mainly because seeing everyone elses progress is so inspiring, as well as hearing about new products. I can't see you're albums, maybe they're private or something.

Yes my album is private. You can always friend me! :flower:

Christine_O
October 7th, 2015, 04:31 PM
You see, if I was your age, which I'm not, I would attach long dangly things with feathery stuff on the ends, and put little tiny braids in my hair, with beads in them. If it isn't a party right now, make it a party. It'll be fun!

Kome
October 7th, 2015, 07:21 PM
I think you look REALLY good with a pixie cut. I wish I could pull that off, but my hair is too poofy! Good luck in your growing though. You'll look great no matter what!

Ashflower89
October 8th, 2015, 06:33 AM
You say your hair is flat and thin. Um, yeah, just like your look-alike avatar in real life, Cate Blanchett. Her photo images on Google show that she has fine hair without a lot of volume, and she has great styles even when growing out layers between jobs that work with what her hair actually wants to do. Flat and thin, pshaw! How about delicate, ethereal, and fairy-like? Can you imagine going up to Cate and saying, "Hey, stunning beauty, you're great and all that, but you need to do something with your hair, it's so thin."

I've been thinking about what you said for a few days now, and you're absolutely right. I've been expecting all the wrong things out of my hair type and not learning to appreciate it for what it is. Thanks for helping me realize it =)

Ashflower89
October 8th, 2015, 06:36 AM
Christine-O, hehe, that does sound like fun. If my hair didn't get blown around all night at work and I had no social life outside of it, I'd probably decorate it.

Kome, thank you =)