PDA

View Full Version : New here, hello everyone!

oceanlove
October 5th, 2015, 07:32 AM
Good Morning!

I have been browsing this website for quite some time now, without having registered just reading various things and finally decided to join because I am currently trying to grow my hair out again.
After having gotten a very short cut in 2006 I let it grow and didn't cut, trim, dye, or do anything to it. It got to be close to waist length by late 2009/early 2010. After that, it seemed to keep growing and getting healthier and healthier. I was very happy with it and would like to say it was my best feature.
Stupidly, earlier this year (about March or April, 2015) I got bored with the color and wanted a change. I went to the salon my mother has been going to for years and trusted her stylist (my mother also has long hair, just not as long as mine was). Anyway, to make a long story short, the stylist destroyed my hair by adding too much bleach and over processing my poor hair. She also cut off 4-5 inches at that time. I was upset, but my hair was still pretty long and in semi-good condition.
Since then, my poor hairs health has drastically declined. I believe it was in shock after the bleach. My ends became brittle and the texture of my hair started to change. I decided, no more bleach, and it is time to go back to my natural brown color and get back into healthy shape again.
I went to another salon (this time close to where I live), and the stylist got my hair back to brown but then ended up cutting off way too much!! I currently have hair that goes about 2-3 inches past my shoulders. This is the shortest it has been since 2006 and I am heartbroken :(
Anyway, I am here because I want to remain hopeful that even though my hair has been put under such stress, I will one day be able to achieve the length and health I once had. Any tips and advice would be great.
I currently wash my hair 2-3 times a week, take two supplements a day (GNC Hair Skin & Nails Advanced Formula, and HairAnew), do a mask treatment once a week, and try not to use hairdryer or styling tools unless I absolutely have to. Any advice besides that?

Thank you to everyone who took the time to read this.

lapushka
October 5th, 2015, 08:05 AM
I'd be happy about the cut because a lot of the damage will be gone, which is always good! A good way to start afresh, if you ask me!

Welcome! :D

meteor
October 5th, 2015, 09:38 AM
Welcome aboard, oceanlove! :cheer:

I think you are doing everything right. At this point, I'd just give it time and hair will grow out - it always does! :D Maybe experiment with oiling length (e.g. pre-poo oiling, or adding oil to conditioner or using oil as a serum to seal in moisture...).
And if you feel like you need to heat-style at some point, please consider heat-free wet-setting styling options instead :flower: : e.g. mini cinnabuns, braids overnight, roller-sets, rag curls... Heat is damaging, and YouTube is full of easy heatless styling tutorials.
Best of luck! And happy growing! :cheer:

oceanlove
October 5th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Hello!
Thank you for the warm welcome :) I appreciate your positive outlook, I have certainly been trying to do the same. My hair does feel a lot healthier now, it will just take some time for me to get used to.

oceanlove
October 5th, 2015, 12:34 PM
Also, thank you for the advice! I am trying to give it time and be patient, I know that I should stop thinking about it so much. I do currently use one oil that has been quite good for me, it is an argan oil called "Bio argan oil" by the company Lakme. I am going to look up the heat-free styles you mentioned, as I have a curling wand I am in love with but I know it is super damaging so for now I must part with it. Thanks again!! :o

Arctic
October 6th, 2015, 12:35 PM
Welcome! You certainly found a right place to help you with your hair and to have good company while it grows!

McQuarry
October 6th, 2015, 12:49 PM
Hi there! I've just reached waist length again after cutting nearly 2 feet of it off, up to my shoulders. Like you, it was incredibly damaged from bleaching - unlike you, I can only blame myself, since I did it at home. The best way to grow your hair quickly is to cut out all the bad bits. Because no amount of pampering will actually repair badly damaged hair, the best you can ever hope for is to stop the damage spreading, and stop splits travelling up and up the hair shaft, so try to stay positive if you can! When I bleached my hair it was below my waist, but in the year or so following before I cut it, it actually ended up gradually shrinking because it was so poorly. Cutting it all off was the best thing I've ever done for the health of my hair.

Good luck!

Groovy Granny
October 6th, 2015, 04:50 PM
Welcome ~ happy growing :)