PDA

View Full Version : Best ways to maintain moisture on ends?

MoonMaiden
October 4th, 2015, 11:05 AM
Been looking up how to maintain moisture on your ends but not coming up with a whole lot, more about people yelling how oil just lubricates. Suggestions ladies?

gthlvrmx
October 4th, 2015, 11:11 AM
A SMT will help give your hair moisture and baby oil (or just Mineral Oil with no fragrance) will help you retain that moisture when you apply it on your wet hair after the SMT. Baby oil does work in helping retain more moisture in your hair once your hair has enough moisture.

Groovy Granny
October 4th, 2015, 11:27 AM
1) A few drops of oil applied after you shampoo (rinse it out) and before conditioner (also rinsed out).
2) Both can be used as leave ins if needed; applied to towel dried/damp hair.
3) Oil can be applied to dry hair if really needed; a little dab will do ya ;)
Any combo of the above will work depending on how dry your hair is.

Argan oil is heavy, and I just had an issue with it discoloring my silver/white hair.

Mineral (baby) oil is nice, light, and cheap

sarahthegemini
October 4th, 2015, 11:30 AM
I used to use a drop of argan or sweet almond oil on the ends after washing, while hair was still wet worked wonders.

MoonMaiden
October 4th, 2015, 02:43 PM
I will have to get some mineral oil and almond oil, i just recently ran out of my almond oil, they dryness of my ends are making me crazy tho :(

lapushka
October 4th, 2015, 02:55 PM
I will have to get some mineral oil and almond oil, i just recently ran out of my almond oil, they dryness of my ends are making me crazy tho :(

I use Johnson&Johnson regular baby oil for my mineral oil. *Perfect*!

I thought you said in another thread you'd used it, the MO I mean? Color me confused.

Anje
October 5th, 2015, 12:12 PM
Be sure to clarify your ends if you haven't in ages. Sometimes what feels like dryness is buildup. After that, condition them well and follow up with a smidge of oil (either when they're still damp or recently dry). I like SMTs for super-moisture conditioning, and have more luck with vegetable oils than with mineral oil, personally. :)

luxurioushair
October 5th, 2015, 02:19 PM
Water moisturizes your hair, and after you have moisturized it, oil is great for maintaining the moisture in your hair and keeping your ends soft. In my experience, neglecting to use both water and oil makes my ends dry out.

Alien Girl
October 5th, 2015, 03:49 PM
For my very damaged, dry hair, I apply coconut oil ONLY to my ends and about 1-2 inches up after showering. Definitely recommend trying it out :)

Water moisturizes your hair, and after you have moisturized it, oil is great for maintaining the moisture in your hair and keeping your ends soft. In my experience, neglecting to use both water and oil makes my ends dry out.

???? I don't understand this. Your hair dries/the water evaporates away. Water is just water... not a moisturizer.

gthlvrmx
October 5th, 2015, 04:34 PM
For my very damaged, dry hair, I apply coconut oil ONLY to my ends and about 1-2 inches up after showering. Definitely recommend trying it out :)

???? I don't understand this. Your hair dries/the water evaporates away. Water is just water... not a moisturizer.

Water is moisture. While your hair is wet, you add oil to help keep more moisture(water) in your hair. http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2014/03/how-moisturizers-are-supposed-to-work.html

luxurioushair
October 5th, 2015, 05:49 PM
Water is the only thing that actually moisturizes anything, and any good moisturizer contains water as an important ingredient...

Bossa Nova
October 5th, 2015, 06:14 PM
I've been trying to keep my hair moisturised with oils for years but it's only ever worked when my hair was already in excellent condition "on its own". Now when my hair is more dry, oil doesn't help and it definitely doesn't seal in any moisture if I apply it to wet hair.

What's been working for me for a while now is conditioner only washing (CO). My hair stays moisturised for days, even the ends and canopy, though they're a bit damaged. I'm still only trying this method out but I have noticed a difference for the better.

British brand Fushi have an oil, the "Really Good Hair Oil", that's getting great reviews (on the Fushi website, naturally) but maybe somebody here has used it and can tell how effective it really is. I've been thinking of buying it but after buying Camellia oil (all the way from Japan), sesame oil, mineral oil and more just because of the great reviews and noticing no difference whatsoever on my hair, I probably shouldn't : )

meteor
October 5th, 2015, 06:23 PM
Dermatologists refer to something as moisturizing, when it has one or more of the following qualities:
1) humectant (attracting water and holding onto water, e.g. glycerin, aloe, honey, etc);
2) occlusive (creating a permeable "barrier", slowing down evaporation of water and penetration of water);
3) emollient (softening, smoothing).
http://chemistscorner.com/how-do-skin-moisturizers-work/
From that perspective, oils can be considered "moisturizing".

To address the original question, I think my favorite quick and easy way to maintain moisture on ends is what I call "mini-LOC" - wetting down hands, running them on hair, then adding a dollop of conditioner and a drop or two of oil and smoothing that on my ends and length before bed or before putting hair up in the morning.

If the hair is feeling abnormally dry, I'd clarify and chelate (it could be just product build-up or mineral build-up sitting on top of hair, making hair feel brittle and dry). After that: a humectant-rich treatment in the shower, e.g. SMT, followed by oil as a leave-in to "seal" the moisture in.

And if it's seasonal dryness (say, due to heaters in cold wintertime), I'd consider getting a humidifier.
HTH! :flower:

Horrorpops
October 5th, 2015, 08:30 PM
Definitely agree with PPs about an SMT - I skip the aloe and instead just have conditioner, honey and coconut oil - and my hair loves it! It is always so soft and silky after one of those, even when I had my dried out, damaged bleached ends.

Similarly my hair likes a little dab of coconut oil after a shower or when my ends feel dry. For me, the oil definitely moisturizes my hair (in that it leaves my hair softer, less dry etc).

Hope this helps! :)

MoonMaiden
October 5th, 2015, 08:35 PM
Maybe that was well over a year ago if i had ever mentioned that on here im not even sure, i know i had this special oil i had gotten a small sample of, which turned out to be mineral oil based. but my main oil was always coconut :/

Horrorpops
October 5th, 2015, 11:54 PM
What do you mean MoonMaiden? Is coconut oil not working for you?

If your hair likes mineral oil based oils definitely use it! I know quite a few members on this site use mineral oil or baby oil, and just as many also find coconut oil does not work for their hair.

I think with hair its very unique and sometimes you have to experiment and figure out what works for your hair.

Quahatundightu
October 6th, 2015, 05:18 AM
I think my favorite quick and easy way to maintain moisture on ends is what I call "mini-LOC" - wetting down hands, running them on hair, then adding a dollop of conditioner and a drop or two of oil and smoothing that on my ends and length before bed or before putting hair up in the morning.

This is exactly what I do too! I will often do the mini LOC before I bun overnight which leaves my hair feeling silky an moisturised in the morning. It also gives great bunwaves as the conditioner helps to set them.

reilly0167
October 6th, 2015, 07:31 AM
On my second day hair..I usually mist with water rub some shea butter styling mixture I made and scrunch a bit...;)

dancingrain91
October 7th, 2015, 07:04 AM
Dermatologists refer to something as moisturizing, when it has one or more of the following qualities:
1) humectant (attracting water and holding onto water, e.g. glycerin, aloe, honey, etc);
2) occlusive (creating a permeable "barrier", slowing down evaporation of water and penetration of water);
3) emollient (softening, smoothing).
http://chemistscorner.com/how-do-skin-moisturizers-work/
From that perspective, oils can be considered "moisturizing".

To address the original question, I think my favorite quick and easy way to maintain moisture on ends is what I call "mini-LOC" - wetting down hands, running them on hair, then adding a dollop of conditioner and a drop or two of oil and smoothing that on my ends and length before bed or before putting hair up in the morning.

If the hair is feeling abnormally dry, I'd clarify and chelate (it could be just product build-up or mineral build-up sitting on top of hair, making hair feel brittle and dry). After that: a humectant-rich treatment in the shower, e.g. SMT, followed by oil as a leave-in to "seal" the moisture in.

And if it's seasonal dryness (say, due to heaters in cold wintertime), I'd consider getting a humidifier.
HTH! :flower:

I just tried that mini LOC because my ends have been crunchy and brittle, and it soaked right in and now my hair feels wonderful. Thank you.

Sunny_side_up
October 7th, 2015, 08:18 AM
After washing i like to run a small amount of baby oil from mid length down ☺locks in the moisture. Then leave it down at night. I use a silky pillowcase, it looks smooth next morning.

AutobotsAttack
October 7th, 2015, 09:56 AM
This is exactly what I do too! I will often do the mini LOC before I bun overnight which leaves my hair feeling silky an moisturised in the morning. It also gives great bunwaves as the conditioner helps to set them.

I do this too, so I would highly recommend it because it does my ends really good.

MoonMaiden
October 7th, 2015, 09:19 PM
What do you mean MoonMaiden? Is coconut oil not working for you?

If your hair likes mineral oil based oils definitely use it! I know quite a few members on this site use mineral oil or baby oil, and just as many also find coconut oil does not work for their hair.

I think with hair its very unique and sometimes you have to experiment and figure out what works for your hair.

Someone had asked about me saying i used mineral oil on my hair, I had bought a product a long time ago not realizing it had mineral oil i may have asked about it on here. I usually stay away from that because ive read so much about how it is bad for your hair. My hair has been doing great with coconut oil for a year and a half its just an all of a sudden thing where everything seems to be going wrong lol

Dommydomdom
November 3rd, 2015, 10:28 AM
For me, the best solution to dry (and very badly split ends) has been WO. Your own natural oils are the best at moisturizing your hair and keeping them safe!