PDA

View Full Version : Easiest Way To Apply Flaxseed gel?

CoveredByLove
October 3rd, 2015, 12:59 PM
Hey curlies and wavies ,

For those of you familiar with using flaxseed gel, how do you apply yours?

I LOVE flaxseed gel for my hair. It gives me really touchable, frizz-free curls and is also conditioning. The only downside for me is applying it. As you know, it has a very goopy, snotty, egg white consistency. It WANTS to all stay together in a blob! So when you try to apply it, its difficult to get it to spread. The recipe I use is 1/4 cup flaxseeds to 2 cups water.

I'm waiting for some more flaxseeds to come in the mail, but in the meantime I'm trying to find tips and tricks on applying this goopiness! I've been searching the internet over for tips, but haven't really found anything. Most people just say apply it in sections, which is what I already do. It still takes a bit of effort to get it in evenly from root to tips.

I had an epiphany this afternoon and thought I might try applying the gel directly to my tangle teezer ( mine is a Goody Tanglefix; fits in my small hands!), kind of squishing it in-between the bristles, then brushing it through wet hair, reapplying gel to the TT as needed. Then scrunch to activate curls. Think this will work?

meteor
October 3rd, 2015, 01:16 PM
^ I think that can work with the Tangle Teaser. :agree:

Personally, I just used it while roller-setting each strand: spread it over the section, then roll the hair up to set. Another thing that helps with application and texture issues is adding a bit of oil (it adds shine and softness, too). Also, I made it a point to make my flaxseed gel more watery (lower ratio of seeds to water than recommended in tutorials), since I didn't want a strong hold.

You might want to search "flaxseed gel" on YouTube to see how different curlies and wavies apply it. It's pretty YMMV. ;)

CoveredByLove
October 3rd, 2015, 01:37 PM
I'm definately going to try it after I whip up a batch! I hope it works!

Alma Petra
October 3rd, 2015, 02:41 PM
I usually take a glob of it and rub it between my palms which makes it break down temporarily showing me to apply it to my hair. It actually contains a lot of water so I end up adding more and more of it to every section.

Alma Petra
October 3rd, 2015, 02:42 PM
allowing me to apply it*

Sorry I'm not allowed to edit my posts yet..

Nadine <3
October 3rd, 2015, 03:16 PM
I usually just squirt it into my hands (I kept mine in a travel bottle) squish it a bit to warm it up and the scrunch it in.