PDA

View Full Version : How to use mineral oil on frizzies

Edelweiss
October 3rd, 2015, 06:17 AM
Hello, I have finally bought mineral oil (Johnson's baby oil) for my frizzies, I was wondering how to use it. Should I wet my frizzies and then oil them or just put the oil on the dry hair ?

lapushka
October 3rd, 2015, 06:44 AM
You can use it on damp hair, after you wash. I use just 2/3 drops on classic length hair, spread through palms then apply. That's *more* than enough. If your hair is shorter, use less! I'm telling you, this oil is magic but you simply must not overdo it!

You can use it in the rinse-out oil method (link in signature). I use 10 drops max on my lengths, after shampoo, before conditioner and you rinse that out. But *do* read the thread!

Edelweiss
October 3rd, 2015, 07:03 AM
Actually I don't want to use it on all of my hair, so I can't use it after I wash.
If you use 2/3 drops on classic lenght then I really don't know what to do it's just for my frizzies, they must be 10-15 centimeters long lol

Sterlyn
October 3rd, 2015, 07:36 AM
I use a method I found on Ktani's website. I also put my MO in a different bottle with a dropper top so I can control exactly how many drops I'm getting. I kept getting way too much for my hair directly from the J & J bottle.

Add 1-2 drops of MO to one hand, than run the other hand under water for a second. Rub both hands together mixing the water and oil, making sure to get mixture between fingers. Then use fingers to comb hair and being mindful to spread it around as best you can. I try and save whats left on my palms for the ends. I find the method of making the sure the oil is between the fingers helps keep it from just blobbing on wherever the palms touch first. Less is definitely more when using MO and sometimes it takes a few tries to get a technique that works for your hair.

If I'm using it for frizz I put it on dry hair and apply mostly to the canopy. I have also found good results using it after a wash on damp hair too. HTH's :)

lapushka
October 3rd, 2015, 07:47 AM
Actually I don't want to use it on all of my hair, so I can't use it after I wash.
If you use 2/3 drops on classic lenght then I really don't know what to do it's just for my frizzies, they must be 10-15 centimeters long lol

No, you don't use it from scalp to root, just on the lengths after you wash. Slight misunderstanding there. ;)

Sterlyn
October 3rd, 2015, 08:00 AM
I have taken a really small amount of MO/water and smoothed it over the canopy on the top of my head to control frizzies. It works fairly well. It just has to be spread out on your hands and if you get too much you can get a greasy look going, which I find less than desirable. :p

Gel or hairspray also works using the same technique too if the frizzies are sticking up and being especially ornery.

Edelweiss
October 3rd, 2015, 09:06 AM
Okay I'm going to try this for my frizzies ! Hope I don't get a greasy look, I'm completely desperate about them, it's a disaster. I can't wear my hair up without looking like a clown

*ReiKa*
October 3rd, 2015, 10:31 AM
Girls, is MO even better than "moisture-sealing" natural oils like argan, linseed, etc? And even better than silicone-based serums? Cos I don't find neither of the two super good in controlling and smoothing frizz. Natural oils just make my hair greasy (or do absolutely nothing if I use a very little amount) and silicone-based serum just won't do a great job.

lapushka
October 3rd, 2015, 10:34 AM
MO IMMHO is the greatest for moisturizing and frizzies, the key is start from scratch. 1 drop, and I mean from a dropper, not from the bottle (way too much).

Robot Ninja
October 3rd, 2015, 11:38 AM
Okay I'm going to try this for my frizzies ! Hope I don't get a greasy look, I'm completely desperate about them, it's a disaster. I can't wear my hair up without looking like a clown

It washes out easily, so if you do get a greasy look you can just wash it. But listen to lapushka. You don't want to overdo it. I also use it on the top of my head to control frizzies, but I start at the ends and work my way up, so the top of my head gets very very little oil.

burny
October 3rd, 2015, 12:10 PM
I haven't got MO yet, but with coconut oil, what I do is to run small amounts of water through my hair(wet hands, then transfer it to hair). Then once hair is not 'dry' any more(not wet/damp, but just a bit darker than dry). I then apply oil to hands, and run that through my hair, focusing on the length/ends.. I expect that the amount of oil needed varies drastically depending on your hair length/type/thickness, and also personal preference. But for sure start with small amounts at first, until you get an idea of what you like.
as far as the shorter frizies, I'm not sure if oil would be good for them or not, but I would think so(just VERY small amounts though)... perhaps after oiling the lengths, just use the trace amounts remaining on your hand to rub the frizzies. I find thought, that just damping the frizzies with water, and then fluffling up the hair a bit, lets the frizzies lay underneath the longer hair, which prevents them from frizzing out for a number of hours.

Something I just thought of that might work: is to combine like 10parts water and 1part oil in a container, and mix that up as something to oil frizzies with.. to make it easier to use only trace amounts, and spread it around well

Edelweiss
October 3rd, 2015, 12:37 PM
Burny, your idea is good but will it melt ? I'm scared the oil will just stay at the top ?
I'm a bit scared to put too much, as I don't want mineral oil on the rest of my hair :/

lapushka
October 3rd, 2015, 03:37 PM
:lol: Well I can't keep repeating myself? But honestly, get yourself a small dropper bottle, decant some of the oil into that, and use 1 drop. 1 drop. It isn't that hard, surely? :o

*ReiKa*
October 3rd, 2015, 03:57 PM
MO IMMHO is the greatest for moisturizing and frizzies, the key is start from scratch. 1 drop, and I mean from a dropper, not from the bottle (way too much).

You got me! ;) I'm going to buy a small J&J bottle tomorrow.
Which way of using it should I start with for the first time? On damp hair after wash or on dry hair?

gthlvrmx
October 3rd, 2015, 04:21 PM
You got me! ;) I'm going to buy a small J&J bottle tomorrow.
Which way of using it should I start with for the first time? On damp hair after wash or on dry hair?

If you want to retain more moisture in your hair, do it on damp hair. If you feel your hair's moisture is fine, you can try it on dry hair. I only use it on wet hair and it gives me really soft hair. Just make sure the bottle's ingredients only say Mineral Oil, Fragrance.
If you don't like the fragrance after a while, you can just buy Mineral Oil on it's own.

Sterlyn
October 3rd, 2015, 06:58 PM
Girls, is MO even better than "moisture-sealing" natural oils like argan, linseed, etc? And even better than silicone-based serums? Cos I don't find neither of the two super good in controlling and smoothing frizz. Natural oils just make my hair greasy (or do absolutely nothing if I use a very little amount) and silicone-based serum just won't do a great job.

I've used all the above and I think it just comes down to what works best for your hair. Natural oils tended to be too heavy for my hair and added a faint yellow tint especially with repeat application. MO was much lighter and I didn't have trouble with yellowing, so it worked much better for me. The magic combo for me was silicone in conditioners with MO as a ROO and then applied as a few drops again on damp hair. Silicone serums tended to build up for me and make my hair limp, but did fine in conditioners.

I think it's very much a YMMV kinda thing and what your hair likes best.

Edelweiss
October 4th, 2015, 02:58 AM
So I tried rubbing 1 drop with water on my hands, my frizzies are not greasy but they are even more dry...
I don't know if I should try again or not :/

lapushka
October 4th, 2015, 04:39 AM
So I tried rubbing 1 drop with water on my hands, my frizzies are not greasy but they are even more dry...
I don't know if I should try again or not :/

Maybe MO is not for you? It *is* a possibility. Or maybe next time use 2 drops? That could be too greasy, though! You'll have to experiment a bit. Sometimes it's fun (when things end up working), other times, not so much. Good luck! :D